F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Maintenance: Wash, Wax, Detailing, Repairs > The Mother of All "How to Remove Swirls & Scratches for Novices" Thread!
proTUNING Freaks

06-03-2016, 08:10 AM   #89
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2001 Corvette Coupe

Two things about what you've posted stand out to me. First...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_kay View Post
... - I was using Autozone MF towels

Second...

Quote:

- Lake Country yellow cutting pad
- Lake Country orange pad
Where's your finishing pad? You named a HEAVY cutting pad and another cutting pad but no finishing pad. That means that your paint is not as shiny as it can be because you are using a cutting pad with a finishing polish.
      06-03-2016, 09:09 AM   #90
mr_kay
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkman2008 View Post
Two things about what you've posted stand out to me. First...

Second...

Where's your finishing pad? You named a HEAVY cutting pad and another cutting pad but no finishing pad. That means that your paint is not as shiny as it can be because you are using a cutting pad with a finishing polish.
I agree with you on the MF towels. Yesterday I switched to a much nicer towel when doing the correction and can truly feel the difference.

I have meg's finishing pads...I guess I should have tried those with the 205 first. So you're suggesting to go from the UC with the yellow pad to the 205 with a finishing pad? I'll have to try another panel this weekend to see if I can better my workmanship with that. Thanks for the feedback
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2016, 11:00 AM   #91
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I agree with you on the MF towels. Yesterday I switched to a much nicer towel when doing the correction and can truly feel the difference.
You mean that you haven't gotten turned on to The Rag Company's towels?

Quote:
I have meg's finishing pads...
Well wait a minute. You said that you were using Lake Country pads. Did you mean that you were using Meguiar's pads OR Lake Country pads, or BOTH? The color of the pad is VERY important and both Meguiar's and Lake Country use a different color scheme when it comes to their pads. This is why I laid out precisely what you should use in my videos. I removed all the guess work and made it so simple, you should be hearing the Barney music after I was done.

So who's pads are you using?
      06-03-2016, 11:22 AM   #92
mr_kay
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Quote:
You mean that you haven't gotten turned on to The Rag Company's towels?

Well wait a minute. You said that you were using Lake Country pads. Did you mean that you were using Meguiar's pads OR Lake Country pads, or BOTH? The color of the pad is VERY important and both Meguiar's and Lake Country use a different color scheme when it comes to their pads. This is why I laid out precisely what you should use in my videos. I removed all the guess work and made it so simple, you should be hearing the Barney music after I was done.

So who's pads are you using?
Sorry for the confusion, I should have clarified. For the correction I posted about, I used strictly Lake Country pads. However, I do have Meg's burgany cutting pads and finishing pads as well (that I just did not use this time). I know you mentioned Meg's follows an atypical color scheme for their pads.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2016, 12:26 PM   #93
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"
United_States
Rep

Yes they do. I believe with Meguiar's pads, yellow is their finishing pad where Lake Country uses yellow as their heavy cutting pad. So you have to know what the colors mean depending on the manufacturer.
      06-11-2016, 02:12 PM   #94
jgoens
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i msport

So, I figured out how to take out those minor micro-marring scratches but then they keep coming back. Here is why: they are happening from either my wash mitt that I got from O'Reillys and it is basically the best one they carry. Or it is from my waffle weave drying towel from the Rag Co. I use a two bucket system. I know the microfiber towel from the Rag Co. I use to wipe polish off is good. Watched your washing vid again. So the question is: what wash mitt do you use?
Until I figure out the combination of products that is safe I think this week I will wash with a micro-fiber towel and dry(most drying is water dry method) with an absorber towel which I have (that thing is really soft). I have a leaf blower, an electric one, but that's too damn pain in the ass to bust out two times a week.

I know technique is huge, but when your products/tools are not right you can't hone your technique to perfection. I found that out the hard way when I used rotary polish one time with my DA polisher and got a smudgy mess.
      06-11-2016, 02:58 PM   #95
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgoens View Post
... Watched your washing vid again. So the question is: what wash mitt do you use?
You watched my wash videos again and didn't see where I SPECIFICALLY posted an annotation that stated EXACTLY where I get my wash mitts from?
      06-11-2016, 03:11 PM   #96
jgoens
Major General
Rep

Quote:
You watched my wash videos again and didn't see where I SPECIFICALLY posted an annotation that stated EXACTLY where I get my wash mitts from?
Well, I watched the one where you have the mitt--went to the last one where you say you got everything from Adam's polishes. Went to that website and they do not have a mitt.
      06-11-2016, 03:47 PM   #97
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"
United_States
Rep

Okay, and this goes for anyone watching my videos. If you are going to skip through or skip over any of my videos in a series, you are not only going to miss out on the information that you NEED to see, you are also going to be armed with HALF the information that you need to have. If you knew what I had to go through to make just one of my video series and upload them to You Tube, then you would understand why I don't directly answer questions when the answer is CLEARLY in the videos. If you start with video one and watch EVERY MINUTE of all the videos in that series, the answer will appear clear as day. I just went and saw it for myself.

And by the way, I don't do ANYTHING with Adam's Polishes anymore.
      06-11-2016, 04:51 PM   #98
RAK92
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 435i Coupe M Sport

Quote:
Okay, and this goes for anyone watching my videos. If you are going to skip through or skip over any of my videos in a series, you are not only going to miss out on the information that you NEED to see, you are also going to be armed with HALF the information that you need to have. If you knew what I had to go through to make just one of my video series and upload them to You Tube, then you would understand why I don't directly answer questions when the answer is CLEARLY in the videos. If you start with video one and watch EVERY MINUTE of all the videos in that series, the answer will appear clear as day. I just went and saw it for myself.

Why??

I watch all of your videos. So what's your beef with Adam's?? I see some Adam's buckets in the background of some of your videos.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2016, 05:04 PM   #99
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAK92 View Post
Why??

I watch all of your videos. So what's your beef with Adam's?? I see some Adam's buckets in the background of some of your videos.
Those are NOT Adam's buckets, those are Grit Guard buckets with the Adam's logo on them. Adam's doesn't manufacture ANYTHING that they sell, they buy it and put their labels on it. Then they sell it to you. TECHNICALLY, those Grit Guard buckets are nothing more than 5-gallon buckets with Gamma Seal lids on them. So you can actually make your own and put your own labels on them but you have to get the Grit Guard insert from Grit Guard. The Gamma Seal lids can be found all over the place.

06-11-2016, 07:24 PM   #100
jgoens
Major General
Rep

Quote:

Before I got into detailing I watched all of your vids from start to finish. In this case I was just trying to get to the brand of Mitt you use. Your vids are great and all and I have my technique down--it is the product I am seeking. I don't need to watch everything all over again to figure out what brand it is. I know you made your vids a while back and do updates, but you do say that your wash products are Adam's.
Hey, don't get me wrong, your vids are informative and entertaining, but I think simple questions like that from people who have obviously watched a great deal of your vids would be an easy answer.
      06-11-2016, 11:14 PM   #101
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"
United_States
Rep

In my videos, whenever I say information that has changed, an annotation pops up revealing a correction if necessary. If you are watching my videos on your phone, you will NOT see those annotation. On a computer, you will and those annotations are nice and large. Just to prove my point, I'm going to drop these two screen shots right here. Had you watched these videos AGAIN as I directed, you SHOULD have seen this:

From now on, I'm just going to send you back to the videos.

Last edited by Junkman2008; 06-11-2016 at 11:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2019, 12:46 AM   #102
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"
United_States
Rep

For you noobs who are thinking about doing some paint correction this spring.
      05-02-2019, 07:22 PM   #103
SteveInfante
NewFinishColumbia/detailer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F31 xDrive

Hey there Junkman2008 still at it I see. Hope this year has been good to you so far. Keep shining.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2019, 11:43 PM   #104
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"
United_States
Rep

Yep, I ain't going anywhere. I'm in it to win it.
      05-06-2019, 07:39 AM   #105
EDWYER
Yoda of mods
Rep
Drives: X5 RWD

Garage List
2015 X5 RWD  [0.00]
2016 BMW M2  [10.00]
Destination: shineville.
YT: https://www.youtube.com/@DWYERGARAGE/videos
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2019, 09:32 AM   #106
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectBoost View Post
Destination: shineville.
Lol! I go there often.
      11-11-2019, 02:51 PM   #107
DeeM55
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 F36 435i

Quote:
Lol! I go there often.
Whats going Junkman2008!? Any new products that you can vouch for? Or is it still the M105 and M205 with the Detailers Wax?

Also, what are your thoughts on Ceramic coats?
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2020, 06:59 PM   #108
Pauloxxi
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014-320Xi / 2017-330Xi

Garage List
Thanks for your post. It was the information I needed to move ahead the project to polish my car. With this Coronacrap in the air, now I'll do my wife's car.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2021, 12:38 PM   #109
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"
United_States
Rep

These videos were accidentally deleted but I was able to get them back and combine them into one video. Here it is.

02-09-2021, 11:02 AM   #110
RAK92
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 435i Coupe M Sport

Thanks for posting again. I refer anyone I know that’s looking to do paint correction to your videos. They are perfect and go step by step to ensure the correct technique is used. Love them!!
Appreciate 0