F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > "Bonus Miles" reset?
Extreme Powerhouse

01-24-2014, 04:56 PM   #23
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJS View Post
I thought all F30s restart in Comfort mode by default, which erases all ECO Pro data. At least mine does ...
They do restart in Comfort, but the data is not erased. Mine doesn't erase until I refill the tank.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2014, 04:57 PM   #24
olinjohnston
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 428i & 1994 840Ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nerd View Post
But you don't lose them instantly.

I had racked around 7 bonus miles over a two day period of driving in mostly ECO Pro. I pulled in my garage, shut the car off, came back out an hour later to run a few errands, and upon restarting my car, the bonus miles were back to zero. Mind you, I had NOT reset anything on my dash (trip odometer, trip computer, etc, etc)....it magically reset on its own.

Normal?
Yes, normal.

You all are making this way more complicated than it is...If you drive in other modes (comfort, sport, sport+) after using ECO PRO, then the car does not forget the earned range miles instantly. However, they disappear the next time you start the car because it cannot calculate reliably what that adjusted actual number would be - though it would probably be zero anyway.

Besides, it's just a gimmicky readout anyway meant to make you feel good about the fuel saving features they have added for you. It would not be accurate if it continued to show bonus miles racking up. Plus, the last thing they want is people complaining that they didn't actually get that many miles bla bla bla.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2014, 05:39 PM   #25
The Nerd
Major
Rep
Drives: 22 M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by olinjohnston
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nerd View Post
But you don't lose them instantly.

I had racked around 7 bonus miles over a two day period of driving in mostly ECO Pro. I pulled in my garage, shut the car off, came back out an hour later to run a few errands, and upon restarting my car, the bonus miles were back to zero. Mind you, I had NOT reset anything on my dash (trip odometer, trip computer, etc, etc)....it magically reset on its own.

Normal?
Yes, normal.

You all are making this way more complicated than it is...If you drive in other modes (comfort, sport, sport+) after using ECO PRO, then the car does not forget the earned range miles instantly. However, they disappear the next time you start the car because it cannot calculate reliably what that adjusted actual number would be - though it would probably be zero anyway.

Besides, it's just a gimmicky readout anyway meant to make you feel good about the fuel saving features they have added for you. It would not be accurate if it continued to show bonus miles racking up. Plus, the last thing they want is people complaining that they didn't actually get that many miles bla bla bla.
Didn't drive in any other mode. Switched to ECO while still idling in neutral....and the 7+ ECO miles I had "earned" were mysteriously erased.
Note: there are many times I repeat the EXACT same steps as mentioned above and the car DOESN'T erase my bonus miles....so something is awry. As stupid and trivial as this all sounds, I still want to know why the computer randomly decides to do things sometimes and not others.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2014, 05:49 PM   #26
HFW003
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2024 M340i xdrive

It's a gimmick, don't worry about it.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2014, 05:57 PM   #27
Elk
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by olinjohnston View Post
When you drive in other modes, you lose those earned miles.
This is not true for my car.

Example: I drive in Eco Pro for a bit and the display indicates +5.3 miles. I then switch to other modes and drive. When I switch back to Eco Pro the 5.3 miles are still there.

I can also park the car for the evening, restart in the morning, switch to Eco Pro and the 5.3 miles are there. I can also drive for a week never in Eco Pro and, on the eighth day switch to Eco Pro - and the miles are still there.

However, as with others, aggressive driving while in Eco Pro will decrease the miles "earned."

The only time the Eco Pro miles reset is upon refueling.

P.S. Whether the feature is silly or not is OT. The OP is not interested in your opinions of Eco Pro. The issue is whether there is something wrong with his car.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2014, 06:23 PM   #28
CHCCubs
Colonel
Latvia
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i xDrive Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elk View Post

Example: I drive in Eco Pro for a bit and the display indicates +5.3 miles. I then switch to other modes and drive. When I switch back to Eco Pro the 5.3 miles are still there.

I can also park the car for the evening, restart in the morning, switch to Eco Pro and the 5.3 miles are there. I can also drive for a week never in Eco Pro and, on the eighth day switch to Eco Pro - and the miles are still there.

However, as with others, aggressive driving while in Eco Pro will decrease the miles "earned."

P.S. Whether the feature is silly or not is OT. The OP is not interested in your opinions of Eco Pro. The issue is whether there is something wrong with his car.
Same experience here. I use ECO PRO when in heavy traffic on my commute and the blue bonus miles (km in my case) remain and continue to accumulate until I refuel at the end of the week. I only use ECO PRO in heavy traffic and then COMFORT or SPORT the rest of the time.

2013 BMW 328i xDrive Sport Line
Mineral Grey on Everest Grey
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2014, 07:45 PM   #29
olinjohnston
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 428i & 1994 840Ci

Looks like I was wrong when I said that it resets when restarted. When all else fails,

"The bonus range is automatically reset every
time the vehicle is refueled."
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2014, 02:37 AM   #30
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elk
Quote:
Originally Posted by olinjohnston View Post
When you drive in other modes, you lose those earned miles.

+3
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2014, 02:40 AM   #31
Mobster1983
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i

This thread is worthless. You should only be driving in Sport+ mode. Problem solved. ;-)
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2014, 05:55 AM   #32
JJS
Lieutenant
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: BMW F31 335i 6MT M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
They do restart in Comfort, but the data is not erased. Mine doesn't erase until I refill the tank.
You're right. I was mistaken. I checked this out tonight and my bonus miles were retained after switch off and change of modes.

My bad.
| 6 Speed Manual | 2VF Adaptive M Suspension | 2VL Variable Sports Steering | 403M wheels | M-Sport brakes | 688 Harman Kardon | 494 Heated Seats | 610 HUD | 322 Comfort Access | 5AC High-Beam Assist | 609 Navigation Professional |
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2014, 07:30 AM   #33
ksdindy
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i Sedan

Just curious, but I lost my miles when the temperatures dropped drastically in our area. As ECO mode adjusts the climate controls as well, could it be that the savings were lost because in order to keep up with this polar vortex we've been stuck in for two weeks, the car cannot adjust climate efficiency to keep up with the temps?

Just spit balling here.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2014, 08:15 AM   #34
OC40
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i MSport + MPS/MPPK

Garage List
2013 MINI S  [0.00]
2013 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HFW003