F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > 3 and 4 Series Ordering / Pricing / Order Tracking Forum (and European Delivery) > The interminable wait begins...
ARMA SPEED

12-22-2013, 10:31 AM   #1
FancyDirt
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 335i 6MT

The interminable wait begins...

Sold the '07 on Friday & ordered a Glacier Silver/Coral Red 335i Sportsline with 6-speed manual, 401s, DHP and M-sport brakes on Sat. Added the Black Grill for good measure. Reasonably good deal given loyalty and Christmas incentives. Only bad news is BMW of Austin must wait until early Jan for a build date. Looks like sometime in March for delivery. Any good ideas on how to avoid spending every waking moment of the next three months thinking about this car?
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2013, 11:17 AM   #2
PrinceBarin
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F82 CP (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyDirt
Any good ideas on how to avoid spending every waking moment of the next three months thinking about this car?
I'm on my second BMW order. Take it from me, you're screwed until it gets here

PS: great order
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2013, 11:48 AM   #3
btbossman
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335xi M sport--2014 M6

Sure...Get something else you really like in the meantime then sell it before your new baby arrives.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2013, 04:30 PM   #4
glangford
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 328d

Yea, it's an excrutiating wait. I didn't order my BMW, picked from the lot, however, I did order my Mini last time. That was a long wait. Then the order was wrong and I chose to not accept it and order again. It was almost 4 months from start to finish.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2013, 04:56 PM   #5
FancyDirt
Private
United_States
Rep

I ordered the '07, but it only took about 6 weeks to receive the car. The sales person said it was hopeless to find a silver car w/ the 6-speed within the TX dealer network. He actually looked at me like I was a Martian when I shared that it must be manual.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2013, 07:29 PM   #6
snowghost
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 335i M-Sport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by glangford View Post
Yea, it's an excrutiating wait. I didn't order my BMW, picked from the lot, however, I did order my Mini last time. That was a long wait. Then the order was wrong and I chose to not accept it and order again. It was almost 4 months from start to finish.
My dealer pulled a fast one and put the order in the SA factory. I specifically said Munich in the order sheet. That adds another 4 weeks at least. Build quality is very nice though.

Once you have the pig, before you know it you've had it 3 months and the waiting a distant memory.
      12-22-2013, 09:36 PM   #7
Number 6
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyDirt View Post
Sold the '07 on Friday & ordered a Glacier Silver/Coral Red 335i Sportsline with 6-speed manual, 401s, DHP and M-sport brakes on Sat. Added the Black Grill for good measure. Reasonably good deal given loyalty and Christmas incentives. Only bad news is BMW of Austin must wait until early Jan for a build date. Looks like sometime in March for delivery. Any good ideas on how to avoid spending every waking moment of the next three months thinking about this car?
I thought you had to take ownership of the car by Jan/Feb to get the Xmas incentives?
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2013, 10:02 PM   #8
FancyDirt
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 6 View Post
I thought you had to take ownership of the car by Jan/Feb to get the Xmas incentives?
You are correct that the BMW discounts are only good for 60 days. I was fortunate that the dealership is willing to honor the discounted price until delivery even though this will likely be in mid to late March. I have to say that I've always been treated pretty well by the folks at BMW of Austin.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2013, 07:32 AM   #9
FancyDirt
Private
United_States
Rep

You've got a very nice car on the way. Congrats! I would have gone with the Mineral Grey, but my corporate car requirement is Silver. The M-performance pedals really add a polished look to the interior, and so I will likely install these as well. I also like your idea of the black console cover. Would you happen to have a Photo-Shopped mock up of this look? Curious what sort of deal you negotiated on the MPPK. I was contemplating to add this, or go with the M-performance exhaust.

This will be my third 3-series sedan ('98 M3 sedan & '07 335i sedan). The '98 was automotive perfection but for the lack of a 6th gear. The '07 is much faster, but the extra mass actually makes it feel a bit less racy. Expect the '14 to be every bit as much fun as my previous two.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2013, 04:27 PM   #10
FancyDirt
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcli View Post
They want to do $1050 installed on the mppk, but they'll do that when it arrives at the dealer. That's a little more than I wanted, but they are throwing in carpeted mats which would have cost me $200 anyway.

I'm considering MPE - but the MPPK adds horsepower (+35) and torque (+17 on 6MT), while the MPE offers no HP/T gains - but adds better sound and aesthetic appearence. I probably would have gone for MPE straight off if it was a full cat-back. :/

I'll see if I can put together a quick pick of a coral red interior with the black center console cover. It's about $135, so not too bad.
I've been contemplating the exhaust only because I've always thought the '07 sounds a bit too tame.

With respect to the power kit, if I could get it for $1K like you I would probably go that route.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2013, 04:41 PM   #11
FancyDirt
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcli View Post
Here are a couple of photos that should give you a general sense. Didn't have photoshop on this computer, so I made due with editing in preview.

Need more views to be convinced on this one. I went with the brush aluminum because I had great luck with this in the '07, and so maybe the contrast will make the black cover appear a bit more pronounced. I actually like the red against the wood trim.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2014, 08:50 AM   #12
FancyDirt
Private
United_States
Rep

The good news is I just found out that my build date was bumped up to the last week in January. Bad news is the manufacturing location is the South African plant and so the transport time to USA will be longer. Anybody out there know the typical shipping time for the trip from SA to whatever USA port is used for SA shipments?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2014, 04:06 AM   #13
TheBigDog
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 330i Sport

Garage List
2017 BMW 330  [10.00]
Quote:
You are correct that the BMW discounts are only good for 60 days. I was fortunate that the dealership is willing to honor the discounted price until delivery even though this will likely be in mid to late March. I have to say that I've always been treated pretty well by the folks at BMW of Austin.
I ordered my car from BMW of Austin even though I'm in San Antonio. BMW of San Antonio gave me a big run around on price. So I called Mike at BMW of Austin, told him what I wanted, what I wanted to pay before incentives, and he honored it, nothing unexpected when the car arrived and actually got even lower than what I was expecting.

Will definitely be back to BMW of Austin for our next car as they are a class act.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2014, 07:07 AM   #14
FancyDirt
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigDog View Post
I ordered my car from BMW of Austin even though I'm in San Antonio. BMW of San Antonio gave me a big run around on price. So I called Mike at BMW of Austin, told him what I wanted, what I wanted to pay before incentives, and he honored it, nothing unexpected when the car arrived and actually got even lower than what I was expecting.

Will definitely be back to BMW of Austin for our next car as they are a class act.
Good to learn you've had a good experience with BMW of Austin. This is my second order from them.

Have you tinted your car? I would like the 3M Crystalline and have found Precision Solar Tint in SA. Any word on these folks?
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2014, 03:54 AM   #15
TheBigDog
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW 330  [10.00]
Quote:
Good to learn you've had a good experience with BMW of Austin. This is my second order from them.

Have you tinted your car? I would like the 3M Crystalline and have found Precision Solar Tint in SA. Any word on these folks?
I stopped and talked to David there, nice guy but I went for the Pinnacle from Custom Sounds. Cost a little more but was a little darker. Mothers was the most expensive.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2014, 04:32 AM   #16
FancyDirt
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I stopped and talked to David there, nice guy but I went for the Pinnacle from Custom Sounds. Cost a little more but was a little darker. Mothers was the most expensive.
Thanks for the comments. I'm really looking to maximize heat rejection with minimal tint. I have it down to Pinnacle or Crystalline, and still about 6 weeks to decide. Build is planned for last week in Jan and so wont take delivery until sometime in March.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2014, 11:28 AM   #17
TheBigDog
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW 330  [10.00]
I think they are both good for heat rejection but wanted some privacy. Didn't exceed legal tint. The pics in my garage make it look a lot darker than what it really is.

http://www.f30post.com/forums/bpgara...=view&id=13207

I will probably go back and get a clear film on the windshield as you can seriously tell the difference when sun comes in through the windshield vs the side windows.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2014, 01:05 AM   #18
FancyDirt
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I think they are both good for heat rejection but wanted some privacy. Didn't exceed legal tint. The pics in my garage make it look a lot darker than what it really is.

http://www.f30post.com/forums/bpgara...=view&id=13207

I will probably go back and get a clear film on the windshield as you can seriously tell the difference when sun comes in through the windshield vs the side windows.
Good looking car. I think the Sportline front end with the chrome accented grill looks "better" with the darker colors like your blue. I'm adding the all-black grill to Silver. I'm in Germany this week and was passed yesterday on the autobahn by a red 328i that was probably going well in excess of 200 kph (my Hyundai SUV diesel rental only feels stable up to about 180 kph). Very little engine noise when it went by...just the typical whoosh.
Appreciate 0