F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Please help speaker size??
proTUNING Freaks

02-03-2013, 09:59 PM   #1
AWMSPORT
1ST CLASS AWMSPORT
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13' 328 MSPORT

Garage List
Please help speaker size??

I'm hoping someone can help ...i have owned 3 other previous bmw's all with the up graded sound systems in them (since i was able to order the car)
This time around I ended picking up one off the lot ... 13 AW M Sport. Has everything but the upgraded sound... I like it how it sounds but...I have been "spoiled " with the better one lol.

Anawsys, I want to change out the door speakers and can not find the size of them...can someone please help me with this....all I want is just better speakers in place of the OEM ones. Same size just plug n,and good to go . There shouldn't be anything added....(extra amp,, ect...) should there.???

please help me if at all possible.

Thank you
'13 328i MSport, AW, Black Dakota leather, Premium Pkg, xenons, ///M Perf, side skirts,Front Lip, Fully coded, CF roundels, Matt Black Grillz, Painted reflectors (front & rear) Smoked tail lights, Plazma l.E.D White PY27W front turn signal,trunk spoiler, Matt Black roof, 8K D1S HID,Custom Exhaust,!
Soon:
JB4,DP,H&R sports,rear diff,!
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2013, 12:17 AM   #2
Jeffersontp
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i M Sport

I second that request. OP if you want it done correctly you will need to purchase a signal processor and a 4 channel amp. Replacing the original speakers wont do too much to improve the sound quality because the car will still send its jacked up EQ to the new speakers (and also because a lot of the distortion comes from the midrange and subwoofers trying to hit notes that the stock speakers cant handle).
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2013, 02:05 AM   #3
AWMSPORT
1ST CLASS AWMSPORT
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffersontp
I second that request. OP if you want it done correctly you will need to purchase a signal processor and a 4 channel amp. Replacing the original speakers wont do too much to improve the sound quality because the car will still send its jacked up EQ to the new speakers (and also because a lot of the distortion comes from the midrange and subwoofers trying to hit notes that the stock speakers cant handle).
So if I replace the 4channl amp as ell, then it ill sound better? Where is that located? Is that hard to do? Do u have any suggestions as to what brand amp ??
'13 328i MSport, AW, Black Dakota leather, Premium Pkg, xenons, ///M Perf, side skirts,Front Lip, Fully coded, CF roundels, Matt Black Grillz, Painted reflectors (front & rear) Smoked tail lights, Plazma l.E.D White PY27W front turn signal,trunk spoiler, Matt Black roof, 8K D1S HID,Custom Exhaust,!
Soon:
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2013, 06:50 AM   #4
Jeffersontp
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i M Sport

I have had a great experience with everything alpine. As far as the signal processor goes i am not sure (ive never needed one because i have always replaced the stock headunit). Id go to a local audio shop that you trust and ask which signal processer they recommend and what they would want for installation/parts and such before heading down this path. It will get expensive quick. My last vehicle was a gti that i put alpine type x pro component speakers powered with the alpine digital amp ~100w rms x4 and a mono amp at 1000w rms powering 2 12" alpine type r subs wired to a 2 ohm load. It sounded awesome...needless to say I am not thrilled with the stock sound system but I dont have the cash to throw at the speakers yet.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2013, 07:11 AM   #5
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015, 740 LdX, Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffersontp
Exactly, speakers don't clip. Amplifiers do. Speakers are passive.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2013, 07:57 AM   #6
AWMSPORT
1ST CLASS AWMSPORT
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Ok, im not looking to get all technical with this..lol, I thought if I just upgrade the stock speakers then it would do the trick, because BMW does have a good amp, so if I just replaced the stock door speakers with better ones then... But what is the size of the speakers in the doors??
Soon:
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2013, 10:20 AM   #7
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

i'd poke around in the sound forum, there are some answers on there..

M Performance Exhaust/Brakes/Suspension/LSD|Bav Stage 1/AMP||ER CP/IC/DP/OC | Dinan CAI/N55 PWG BIG TURBO|BMWF30.com
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2013, 03:48 PM   #8
Sirrus
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i M Sport

You may find this useful:
http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=752647
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2013, 07:54 PM   #9
KarbD
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWMSPORT View Post
I'm hoping someone can help ...i have owned 3 other previous bmw's all with the up graded sound systems in them (since i was able to order the car)
This time around I ended picking up one off the lot ... 13 AW M Sport. Has everything but the upgraded sound... I like it how it sounds but...I have been "spoiled " with the better one lol.

Anawsys, I want to change out the door speakers and can not find the size of them...can someone please help me with this....all I want is just better speakers in place of the OEM ones. Same size just plug n,and good to go . There shouldn't be anything added....(extra amp,, ect...) should there.???

please help me if at all possible.

Thank you
I just did a complete upgrade of the Hifi system in my car and am VERY pleased with the result. Like yourself all my previous cars had upgrade audio so the stock system just wasnt cutting it.

the speakers in the Hifi model are 4" and are extremely cheap. If you dont want to have to do any modifications keep the speaker depth in mind since there is not alot of extra room between the speaker and window.

I had my audio shop modify the system and used 5 1/4 Focal speakers. I added a 4 channel, mono amp, 2 12" subs. From the outside everything looks stock but the sound is amazing.

Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2013, 01:40 PM   #10
AWMSPORT
1ST CLASS AWMSPORT
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarbD View Post
I just did a complete upgrade of the Hifi system in my car and am VERY pleased with the result. Like yourself all my previous cars had upgrade audio so the stock system just wasnt cutting it.

the speakers in the Hifi model are 4" and are extremely cheap. If you dont want to have to do any modifications keep the speaker depth in mind since there is not alot of extra room between the speaker and window.

I had my audio shop modify the system and used 5 1/4 Focal speakers. I added a 4 channel, mono amp, 2 12" subs. From the outside everything looks stock but the sound is amazing.

Hope this helps.

Thank you.,, are the door speakers 3 1/2" ??
Soon:
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2013, 03:25 PM   #11
KarbD
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWMSPORT View Post
Thank you.,, are the door speakers 3 1/2" ??
Front and back door speakers are 4" + 2 tweeters.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2013, 10:48 PM   #12
AWMSPORT
1ST CLASS AWMSPORT
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarbD View Post
Front and back door speakers are 4" + 2 tweeters.
And what about the ones under the drivers and passenger seat ...??.
Soon:
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2013, 01:45 PM   #13
vitchie
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 328i

Garage List
Underseat woofers are 8"
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2013, 10:22 AM   #14
AWMSPORT
1ST CLASS AWMSPORT
United_States
Rep

Garage List
So the door speakers in the basic sound system are 4" not 3.5. And the woofers under the seat 8"....? Correct? (My 2013 f30 328 MSport )

If I just replace those speakers should I be ok? Or would need to upgrade amp....

What if I replaced just the door speakers, and bypassed the subs under the seat, n added 2 subs with an amp?
Soon:
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2013, 10:31 AM   #15
Jamesons Viggen
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '98 M Roadster stg 2+ S/C

http://www.integralaudio.com/

I have been working with them for awhile now to get an F30 specific setup.

Very excited to have the production install in April.

It's going to be a direct fit 10" sub, very high end/audiofile quality. All the speakers and amps are going to be upgraded per CAD data and acoustical measurements taken over weeks and audio engineering backgrounds are being put to good use.

'98 Dinan/RMS stage 2+(VAC cams, CES Cutring etc)
'15 Buick Regal "T"(wife)
'06 Saab 9-5 Combi 5mt (full suspension, LSD, clipped turbo etc)
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2013, 10:36 AM   #16
AWMSPORT
1ST CLASS AWMSPORT
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Just spoke to my BMW tech and he said he will pull up the diagram of the speaker layout n print it for me.

But still need your guys help, so any more input would be great.

Thank you!!
Soon:
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2013, 10:38 AM   #17
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesons Viggen View Post
http://www.integralaudio.com/

I have been working with them for awhile now to get an F30 specific setup.

Very excited to have the production install in April.

It's going to be a direct fit 10" sub, very high end/audiofile quality. All the speakers and amps are going to be upgraded per CAD data and acoustical measurements taken over weeks and audio engineering backgrounds are being put to good use.
For HK, or HiFi setups?
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2013, 10:44 AM   #18
Jamesons Viggen
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '98 M Roadster stg 2+ S/C

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
For HK, or HiFi setups?
Hi-Fi first, but we will confirm that it fits BOTH once we get a HK F30 in the shop to confirm.

'98 Dinan/RMS stage 2+(VAC cams, CES Cutring etc)
'15 Buick Regal "T"(wife)
'06 Saab 9-5 Combi 5mt (full suspension, LSD, clipped turbo etc)
Appreciate 0