F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > Touch Command. iDrive control from the rear
GetBMWParts

01-06-2015, 10:08 AM   #1
Mark
Administrator
Rep
Drives: 1M

Garage List
Touch Command. iDrive control from the rear

BIMMERPOST NEWS
Touch Command. iDrive control from the rear
COMMENTS

Highlights
  • Uses a Samsung tablet with WIFI connection to the car
  • Tablet is kept in a crash proof container
  • Tablet is recharged by a snap in charger
  • BMW app launched from the tablet controls many of the car's functions remotely

Driver orientation is one of the premium hallmark qualities of every BMW. At the CES in Las Vegas, BMW is now presenting a system that has been perfectly tailored to the needs of the passengers in the rear: Touch Command. It uses a Samsung tablet computer that has a wifi connection to the vehicle and serves as a control console for both the infotainment and the comfort functions. Passengers are able to use this tablet in the usual way to make the rear of the vehicle feel like their own living room and for controlling the comfort functions to create a personal haven of wellbeing for themselves. BMW is thus demonstrating for the first time how the latest consumer electronics devices can be turned into integral components of the overall vehicle system.

World premiere: regular tablet becomes part of the vehicle.
Touch Command offers unprecedented flexibility for operating the information and entertainment systems, while also illustrating how a tablet computer can be perfectly integrated into the vehicle. The tablet is kept in a crash-proof holder and can be recharged by means of a snap-in adapter. The touchscreen itself is therefore transformed into a high-tech-looking element of the vehicle interior. A BMW app on the tablet makes it possible to control all available devices, such as the Rear-Seat Entertainment System. When it is being used, the tablet can be either left secured in its holder or removed. All functions are permanently available thanks to the wifi connection.

Smart solutions and swift integration of the very latest technology
The BMW app provides a clearly arranged menu on the Samsung tablet, from which the various functions can be selected. The app functions as a remote control for operating the DVD player, for example, or changing the radio station. Touch Command therefore incorporates the functions that are currently controlled with the BMW iDrive Controller in the case of today’s BMW Rear-Seat Entertainment System, for instance. The tablet also doubles as an additional screen and can display controls without affecting the image shown on the onboard screen in the head restraints. So the radio station can be changed using the tablet while the navigation map continues to be shown in full on the connected screens. In addition to this, comfort functions in the rear compartment, such as seat adjustment or climate control, can be operated with the greatest of ease using the tablet without the passengers having to move in their seat.

Touch Command supports the customary tablet-computer gesture control actions for changing views, for instance. It can also be used to connect to the internet in the usual way provided it has the necessary mobile network connection.

Touch Command marks the first time that a top-quality digital device and its state-of-the-art functionality have become an integral part of the car. At the same time, the system also demonstrates how swiftly BMW ConnectedDrive is able to react to the furious pace of innovation in the field of infotainment and incorporate equally smart solutions into cars.
BMW Touch Command

01-06-2015, 10:20 AM   #2
Vervain
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: .

Garage List
That's pretty cool that it integrates with an existing tablet.
2017 F55 Mini Cooper S
2015 F22 BMW M235i
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2015, 11:39 AM   #3
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Cool beans. I wonder if you can use another brand as well.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2015, 11:40 AM   #4
Zeroblade
Explodes on impact
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Mazda3

Wow, this was painfully obvious that I'm surprised it didn't come sooner.

Forget about the i8's LCD key fob. Could make a whole app for all cars and perhaps give status about the car, tire's pressure, oil level, etc.

Hidden message - more Android support! Yes BMW, move away from being more Apple friendly!

*work in progress*
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2015, 11:47 AM   #5
Its_lobelt
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

LOL samsung can't sell their shitty tablets so they prob give it to BMW for free.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2015, 12:01 PM   #6
Igor_M5
United_States
Rep
Drives: Many, BMW.

Garage List
Bleh... disappointed by the Android based app. Was hoping that they would get more Apple friendly/integrated.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2015, 12:25 PM   #7
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Problem with a touch screen for me was that I could barely reach the volume knob and 8 preset buttons in my F10 since I sit so far back. Touch screen iDrive will be useless for me.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2015, 12:33 PM   #8
Majec9-7
Enlisted Member
Slovenia
Rep
Drives: '07 E87 116i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeroblade View Post
Wow, this was painfully obvious that I'm surprised it didn't come sooner.

Forget about the i8's LCD key fob. Could make a whole app for all cars and perhaps give status about the car, tire's pressure, oil level, etc.

Hidden message - more Android support! Yes BMW, move away from being more Apple friendly!
They should be Apple friendly as well as Android and WP friendly.

<rant>

I just wish BMW applications were more useful like you said and no stupid Samsung only lock. And if they could make a separate UI for Android (and maybe WP, but who the hell uses that) it would be great. It's infuriating to see the old iPhone UI on all things Android. Along with it being ugly, it's also clumsy as there are differences in physical buttons and screen sizes and resolutions.

</rant>

Last edited by Majec9-7; 01-06-2015 at 12:34 PM.. Reason: Typos
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2015, 12:56 PM   #9
Manbnda
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 AW

That's amazing, but make that for iPads so it can be also useful
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2015, 09:01 AM   #10
MachineShedFred
Registered
Rep
Drives: '08 335i

Samsung?

I guess I don't understand why they locked the functionality not just to one platform, but one manufacturer within one platform. Terrible decision, especially considering how many iPads exist in the world in comparison to Samsung tablets.

If they were going for phones, I could see them doing Android first, as that's where the larger market chunk is; but tablets?!

Hopefully just for the demo, and any production version would have an app on at least Android / iOS.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2015, 10:28 AM   #11
TheStevo
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 F10 LCI

Garage List
Older models compatible?

Hopefully it can be integrated in an older iDrive and isn't only available with the new BWMs; same goes for all the other new technologies coercing iDrive. Anyone who has a suspicion?

Last edited by TheStevo; 01-07-2015 at 06:22 PM..
Appreciate 0