F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > What the reviewers got wrong
ARMA SPEED

01-04-2015, 02:22 PM   #1
OneRib
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 AY M3

Arrow What the reviewers got wrong

I have been a fan of cars all my life and have read/watched/listened to countless reviews over the years (I am almost 40). While the reviews are mostly helpful and informative, they often criticize changes that are loved by the buying public. Specifically to BMW I wanted to point out some glaring complaints that have since proved to be wrong or off base.

This is less about bashing the automotive press and more about proving that its important to read reviews from your own frame of reference. Most cars today are so good is more about what fits your style/needs/likes and less about avoiding a terrible car.

1) Bangle era styling- Once the bane of many autojournalists, the "Bangle butt" and related styling has successfully transitioned BMW into a new styling era. The traditional styling was limited for the future and he provided a jolt to get in on a new path.

2) Idrive- Reviewers hated it, calling it confusing/complicated/unnecessary. I remember in the first 5 years almost every review had some derisive comment about it. BMW and the buying public new better and now its the gold standard for in car control of infotainment. Now I agree the first systems were far from perfect, but its been refined over the years and was the correct route to take.

3) Turbo engines- Where o where is my NA engine. Although this is mostly due to emissions issues, we now have more powerful and efficient engines to choose from. Minimal turbo lag and, gasp, low end torque. Complaints from the press about loss of control and turbo lag are understandable but overstated. Now almost all automakers are going almost exclusively forced induction or small displacement.

4) Model proliferation- Why is there an X6, who needs a gran coupe, why make a name change for the 4 series? Again record sales have shown, people like the increased choices and I don't seem to see a dip in M4 or 4 series coupe sales since the name change.

Please add any you feel are fair or dispute what I have. You can also point out instances where the press was right.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2015, 04:29 PM   #2
Zeroblade
Explodes on impact
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Mazda3

Because there is money to be made.

Its corporate thinking vs the person. Yea I agree it stupid making a 4 series badge. I'm sure someone in BMW thought, there's someone out there that will buy this just cause its a 4 series. I think the X6 was built before the recession back in 2003 and BMW was thinking if they build it, someone will buy it. Lo and behold it still does.

*work in progress*
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2015, 10:44 PM   #3
Nkc
NOOB
Canada
Rep
Drives: Cars

I don't see what the problem is with the X6. I think it's extremely sexy but just a little overpriced compared to the X5.
      01-04-2015, 11:19 PM   #4
OneRib
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nkc View Post
I don't see what the problem is with the X6. I think it's extremely sexy but just a little overpriced compared to the X5.
I don't have a problem with it either. That was the point of the post. Reviewers didn't get it and thought it was unnecessary. Despite this it has sold well and is on its second gen and has MB scrambling to copy it.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2015, 01:42 AM   #5
Kiwi
Captain
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M Sports Convertible

Top Gear England is the only true car reviewers I mean you have to take all reviews as a joke.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2015, 03:02 AM   #6
Meeni
Gateropode
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i 06

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneRib View Post

1) Bangle era styling- Once the bane of many autojournalists, the "Bangle butt" and related styling has successfully transitioned BMW into a new styling era. The traditional styling was limited for the future and he provided a jolt to get in on a new path.
In the end, Bangle got dismissed and all his styling cues have been removed from the F-models. The E60 and the 7 series were particularly ugly, and the design didn't age well at all. The new F10 shares no single bangle cues, it is completely back to the E39 styling cues (very conservative and boring if you ask me, but it has been deBangelized).

Quote:
2) Idrive- Reviewers hated it, calling it confusing/complicated/unnecessary. I remember in the first 5 years almost every review had some derisive comment about it. BMW and the buying public new better and now its the gold standard for in car control of infotainment. Now I agree the first systems were far from perfect, but its been refined over the years and was the correct route to take.
Well, as you say, the reviewers were correct to warn prospective buyers that first gen idrive was terrible. It was. Soon after the revamped idrive came out, these same journalist said "get the new model, the new idrive is vastly better and it's worth the premium". So, in essence, they were right and giving good advice overall.

Quote:
3) Complaints from the press about loss of control and turbo lag are understandable but overstated.
In a perfect world, every car would have a gas sipping S54 engine. There is a special joy in a NA engine. Now most journalists are reasonable and even though they may have more fun revving a NA engine, they also say what is also true: turbo engine with little lag deliver globs of low end torque, which is also fun and good. Case in point, the N54, N55 and N20 engines, all turbos, received many prizes and awards from the press. So in the end, it doesn't appear to me that the press has been unfair to the turbo evolution.

Your point 4 may very well be true though.
Appreciate 1
      01-05-2015, 10:36 AM   #7
OneRib
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meeni View Post
In the end, Bangle got dismissed and all his styling cues have been removed from the F-models. The E60 and the 7 series were particularly ugly, and the design didn't age well at all. The new F10 shares no single bangle cues, it is completely back to the E39 styling cues (very conservative and boring if you ask me, but it has been deBangelized).
Good points, but I think you stretch it to far to say BMW went back to E39 styling. Many of the flame surface elements and rounded edges are still present in the F10. I do agree the E60 and 7 series were not attractive, but my main point was it pushed BMW past its comfort point and it allowed for a new design language.

Quote:
Well, as you say, the reviewers were correct to warn prospective buyers that first gen idrive was terrible. It was. Soon after the revamped idrive came out, these same journalist said "get the new model, the new idrive is vastly better and it's worth the premium". So, in essence, they were right and giving good advice overall.
They were slow to come around even after refinements were made. It was never as difficult as they made it seem.

Quote:
In a perfect world, every car would have a gas sipping S54 engine. There is a special joy in a NA engine. Now most journalists are reasonable and even though they may have more fun revving a NA engine, they also say what is also true: turbo engine with little lag deliver globs of low end torque, which is also fun and good. Case in point, the N54, N55 and N20 engines, all turbos, received many prizes and awards from the press. So in the end, it doesn't appear to me that the press has been unfair to the turbo evolution.
I think that you are right here. I overstated it.

Overall, I think you make many good points. It may depend on who one reads for reviews and info.

Thanks for the detailed response.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2015, 09:30 AM   #8
usmabmass
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 550i, 23 i4 M50, 24 iX M60

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneRib View Post
In the end, Bangle got dismissed and all his styling cues have been removed from the F-models. The E60 and the 7 series were particularly ugly, and the design didn't age well at all.

I dunno, i still really disagree with this. Two weeks ago a man stopped me in the parking lot to tell me how gorgeous my car is. He was in what looked like a brand new crew cab gmc truck, i was in a 6-year old, 100k mile 08 550i sport. When i told him it was bone stock except for black kidneys and wheels, he was floored at the paint, appearance and ride height. I get turned heads at stop lights to this day. Say what you want about stock body kits and 16 inch wheels, but bangles designs in proper attire still look new to most people today.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2015, 09:51 AM   #9
OneRib
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmabmass View Post
I dunno, i still really disagree with this. Two weeks ago a man stopped me in the parking lot to tell me how gorgeous my car is. He was in what looked like a brand new crew cab gmc truck, i was in a 6-year old, 100k mile 08 550i sport. When i told him it was bone stock except for black kidneys and wheels, he was floored at the paint, appearance and ride height. I get turned heads at stop lights to this day. Say what you want about stock body kits and 16 inch wheels, but bangles designs in proper attire still look new to most people today.
I think the styling was polarizing, but purposely done this way. Bangle wanted to jolt BMW foward. The time for incremental design updates had past BMW. I think you will see another jolt after the upcoming 7 series is replaced. Design languages can only be pushed so much before they are radically overhauled. Porsche's 911 and VW's beetle are the exceptions to design where they have been massaged over the years rather than re-imagined.

I like to compare it to movie franchises. Tim Burton's Batman became stale and old. Christopher Nolan rebooted it using many of the same villains, but in a new way. See Star Trek/Superman/Bond/Spiderman as other examples
Appreciate 0