F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > HELP! BMW 528i Overheated may have blown engine!
Studio RSR

10-28-2013, 12:51 PM   #1
moniquetriana
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 528i

Exclamation HELP! BMW 528i Overheated may have blown engine!

I have a 97 528i, noticed a hissing noise from the radiator pressure valve, was going to pick up part for it. Drove it to a client, got there and noticed that the valve cap broke off. Left client and noticed the temp went to half in about 3 minute, I was already on the freeway with a 5 month old in the backseat, so couldnt just stop. I got off freeway, and right when exiting steam/smoke starting coming from engine and car stalled. Luckily there was a gas station right there off ramp and was able to coast in. Smoke/steamed (couldnt tell really what it was but did smell like coolant obviously) for a few minutes, didnt try starting it but towed home. After a bit I checked radiator resevoir and seemed it only needed a little to fill. Checked the engine oil to see if coolant was mixed with it and it seems ok, but cant tell unless I drain it. The battery had died so I jumped it and it did start, but wouldn't stay in idle, wanted to just stall, so I had to keep foot somewhat on gas to stay on. When i would hake foot off gas it would just start to stall, and did when I took foot off. There was a slight engine smell also, and the engine compartment has dried white spray in it in some places but not everywhere.(Im sure from spraying of coolant)

Would it still start if I completely blew the engine?

Anyone have any ideas what could have happened in a complete overheat? (with the symptoms I am talking about?

I would appreciate anyones feedback, this car is in perfect condition and it makes me sad I may have ruined it over a $2.50 valve piece.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2013, 05:44 PM   #2
whats77inaname
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: when at all possible

Sorry about your circumstances. Nothing that you posted indicated that you filled the radiator (not the reservoir) w/coolant & water after everything cooled off.

To check for a possible oil/water mixture, I've always checked the coolant in the radiator. If it looks "milky" in color, then it has oil in it, and that can be symptomatic of anything ranging from a blown head gasket to a cracked sleeve or more.

You might try and venture to the 5 series forum, as the members there will probably be more up to speed on that engine and can probably offer you more help than those of us here.

http://e39.5post.com/forums/index.php

Good luck!

Last edited by whats77inaname; 10-29-2013 at 01:27 PM..
Appreciate 0