F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Waze and other map apps
Extreme Powerhouse

06-11-2018, 10:40 AM   #45
Tyresian
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 230xi

Waze is great when you are traveling somewhere you're familiar with and want the fastest directions right then. However it screwed me once on a long trip this past weekend and I switched to Google Maps. And then it almost screwed me on another trip.

First trip we were driving south bound through Milwaukee to Chicago, I'm not really familiar with either city. It had us get OFF THE HIGHWAY (seemingly indicating there was traffic stopped or construction) it directed us through a ghetto and then took us 15 min out of the way to get onto the highway into stopped traffic 2 miles north of where I would have merged if we stayed on the highway. I don't know WHY this happened but it caused a fight with my SO.

And then I went to pick up a pizza yesterday for dinner and saw the route it told me to take was WAY out of the way. In fact, I looked at alternate routes and saw the second route was the one I'd normally take, it showed the exact same travel time and half the distance, plus less zig-zagging.

Waze has some really cool features but I think the use cases are a bit less straight-forward and it requires a bit more thought and planning than Google or Apple maps.
      06-11-2018, 11:00 AM   #46
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

There are times I've over-ridden what Waze told me to do and I got to my destination faster. But those times are very rare. Many times Waze was dead on about taking a different route. One of the things Waze takes into consideration when setting route directions is feedback from users on if they're stuck in traffic or if there is construction/a wreck. While Waze isn't perfect, the same can be said with other GPS systems. Waze to me is closer to perfect as it takes into consideration user feedback about road conditions not just where cops are.

On a fairly recent drive home after being onsite at a client, Waze told me to take a totally off the wall way to get home. I decided to follow it. Good for me as the highway I would have taken was totally shut down in the direction home and all the surrounding roads were jammed up due to the detour traffic.
Appreciate 1
      06-11-2018, 11:14 AM   #47
Maestro
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan, 2021 X3

I can tell you that Waze is far better than any other Nav App for traffic and rerouting you around traffic. All other apps are still using the DOT systems that use road sensor to determine where traffic is, the problem with this system it is delayed in its reporting and it is not on all highways and roads. Waze use the DOT plus its only crowd sourcing data. Since they have so many users they have real time traffic data that they other systems do not have. Plus it tells you as others pointed out where the police are as well as accidents. I have it come up while driving saying an accident has just happen on the road ahead and it was going to reroute me. Now of the other systems do this.

I do agree the interface it less than desirable, but I hardly look at it I listen to the voice prompts more because of this. TomTom has one of the best interfaces, especially for complicated highway interchanges. It show a picture of the interchange and which lane you need to be in, this is a life save. Apple Maps now has this feature as well.

The other things Waze does well is the fact it will learn your driving habits, I tend to drive back roads verses highways and it has learned my backroad ways tend to be faster so now it routes me down those roads since they do not have red lights and traffic. The really sucky thing about Waze is when Google bought them now ads show up all the time.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2018, 11:18 AM   #48
420Coupe
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 Alpine White M3

What has me curious is if Google acquired Waze back in the day; and i know they use a portion of it to update their GMaps; why not integrate the other features as well; ie police notifications etc.

They've already integrated the road hazard notifications just not police.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2018, 11:49 AM   #49
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Some how, some way, Waze needs to come up with a way to tell people ahead of me a cop just passed me in traffic.
Appreciate 1
1 AKY459.00
      06-12-2018, 06:05 AM   #50
1 AKY
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F11 530d

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
Some how, some way, Waze needs to come up with a way to tell people ahead of me a cop just passed me in traffic.
Great idea
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2018, 11:14 AM   #51
DerEisbaer
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & VW Golf Mk2

In Germany, Google Maps works best (imho).

Never got along with Waze, used it a lot in Oman though (Google Maps is working, but without Navigation Mode).

I can use both via Volkswagens AppConnect and Nokia 8 on my current daily. Both work fine then and it is cool to have both apps available on the screen in the dash ('18 Golf VII)
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2018, 04:29 PM   #52
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

I have not tried waze but after reading this, I will definitely be giving it a try on my next road trip.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2018, 09:31 AM   #53
Never_Enough
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Satan's Chariot 2.0

Garage List
I want to use Waze, but the UI is terrible. I use Google Maps.
Appreciate 0