F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > weird navigation bug with presets
proTUNING Freaks

06-06-2017, 02:10 PM   #1
kevinf
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 228i

weird navigation bug with presets

I posted this in the 2 series forums too but figured that 3 series used the same system. Could some of you please try this out for me?

Hi I am experiencing a weird bug with idrive. For people who store FM/AM/SAT radio stations into the "Preset" menu, I would appreciate if any of you with the navigation system can try the following steps for me.

1. go to a preset in your "Preset" menu such as an FM station
2. go to the navigation map
3. while in navigation map, use the steering wheel scroll wheel to select another station in "Preset" menu that is of another type. Ex: if you chose an FM station in number 1, choose a satellite radio station using your steering wheel scroll wheel.
4. press the "Radio" button on the idrive controller.
5. does the screen go back to preset or goes back to "Satellite radio"

The issue is that it seems like if I choose a different type of station using the steering wheel while in navigation map, and then go back to the "Radio" screen, it actually goes back to the Satellite Radio menu listing out all the stations rather then the "Preset" menu.

By "Preset" I don't mean the 8 buttons. I hope that there is a fix for the bug but I want to see if anyone else experiences this.

I hope some of you can try this out for me in your cars.

Thank you in advance.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2017, 03:56 PM   #2
kevinf
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 228i

bump... anyone?
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2017, 12:12 AM   #3
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

I'm not sure if I understood correctly but I tried this out.

1. Chose a station
2. Went to Nav
3. Used the steering controls to select another station. Nav stayed on screen
4. Pressed Radio button - it went to the listing of stations available.

My take on it is if you press the radio button you are going to exit the nav screen as we know and it won't go back to the single station playing but rather the list. A bit like when you press the menu button you don't get the menu you were on but the menu list.

The same goes for our F30.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2017, 09:10 AM   #4
tsbrown
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Not sure if we're experiencing the same thing, but before a software update for the car (and subsequent re-establishing all my presets) my car would always start on the radio presets. After the software update, I re-established all my radio presets but the car would not start on them. It was really frustrating because why have presets if the car won't default to them?

Had my dealer resolve this, along with the manual rev-matching issue I posted on in the drivetrain forum assuming they were both related to the software update. What they found was if I included a local FM station in the presets along with all other presets that were only on satellite, it would always default to presets. This has worked consistently since I got it back and I now consider this fixed. I use the nav map all the time so that doesn't impact this, it just works....no more frustrations with the presets.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2017, 09:25 AM   #5
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Part of the issue with the memory buttons is the assumption that they're associated with radio stations. They're not, they're associated with the iDrive. What they 'remember' is what's on the iDrive screen when you push and hold them to set them. They associate solely with the radio only if you don't have nav and telephone connectivity. They also are linked to user settings, so what they store and recall depends on which fob was used to open the car.
Appreciate 0