F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > (Not) Taking Delivery of my 330d M Sport
Extreme Powerhouse

12-31-2013, 07:39 AM   #23
Proftinkerpot
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335d M Sport -Superman

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveA View Post
Yes.. Not what I wanted, that's for sure..!!

To be fair, I don't think I am being messed about by the dealer. I genuinely think it was only spotted by him this morning and, I have to say, it was pretty much the first thing that he told me.

I've dropped off the 320d with them and they've put into a loaner for the week.

Let's see what transpires..!!
Where does it leave you if you reject the f30? Will they give you your 320d back? Presumably you wont have the 328i until they re-order. A main dealer should have access to a body shop that an repaint a door to a good standard.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2013, 10:34 AM   #24
DaveA
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M135i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proftinkerpot View Post
Where does it leave you if you reject the f30?
Not sure, to be honest. I think I'll take that as it comes next Tuesday when I return to have a look at what they've done.

Quote:
Will they give you your 320d back?
Technically, as we have not signed any documents, it is still mine, but they have it with them for now.

Because of what has happened, the deal is kind of in a limbo state, pending the resolution of the problems (one way or another). Once we have a resolution (whatever that may be) then we can work out the other bits and pieces around that.

Quote:
Presumably you won't have the 328i until they re-order.
I doubt it, no. It's just for this week.

If there is a need to re-order, then something would have to be resolved for the interim (I may keep my old car or it may be something else).

Quote:
A main dealer should have access to a body shop that can repaint a door to a good standard.
I am sure that they do.

The test will be if you can tell that it's been done and, there, the main problems are most likely to be the texture of the metallic (which is hard to match) and/or slight colour differences….

I am certain it is being dealt with seriously.. Let's see what happens…
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2013, 10:38 AM   #25
DaveA
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4springer View Post
It's not good, I would be suspecting the dealer, surely they would have picked this up during preparation (or caused it?).
I am never going to know and, for me, it is really irrelevant how it was caused. It is what it is. What counts for me now is that the dealer is being totally proper about it all and, well, the test is going to be how it is resolved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4springer View Post
Anyway I'm sure it will be sorted, the weather is too c**p for driving your brand new car around at the moment.
The nice white 428i loaner is somewhat less white now..!!!
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2013, 10:43 AM   #26
DaveA
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzapb View Post
Sorry to hear that, i'm sure it will be fine. (here is some schadenfreude to make you feel better

I remember getting my 335i (it was raining for the first times in yonks) and I did not notice clear coat damage on the roof and bonnet (5p size marks all over the place). I thought getting a detail might fix but I seen sense and took it back to the dealer. It seems that it probably was bird crap or parked under a tree for ages. Can't believe they tried to hand it over, in the end it was gone for 2 months (I think) and had a respray on bonnet and roof!
Yikes..!!

I have to say that my story pales somewhat in comparison to that.

Yes, bird droppings can be *that* dangerous.. I remember parking a previous car at Cheshire Oaks outlet centre and came back to find my nice blue car had turned white with seagull cr*p…

Possibly it was an albatross, because no mere seagull could generate that much muck!!!

So, I called into a garage and, with some water from the hose, tried to wipe it off with some towels…

BIG mistake as this gull had been eating grit and the bonnet looked like I had dragged nails across it after..

ooops!!!
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2013, 10:48 AM   #27
F30AM
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport sDrive

I got a dollop of the stuff on my head and then on the roof of my car yesterday while I was at my BMW dealership. Could not believe it at first, but then the smell brought me back to earth!

Immediately washed the car but waited to get home before cleaning myself!
      12-31-2013, 10:55 AM   #28
DazC
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp Pack

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by F30AM View Post
I got a dollop of the stuff on my head and then on the roof of my car yesterday while I was at my BMW dealership. Could not believe it at first, but then the smell brought me back to earth!

Immediately washed the car but waited to get home before cleaning myself!
Tree sap can be very bad for this also.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2013, 11:12 AM   #29
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Not sure, to be honest. I think I'll take that as it comes next Tuesday when I return to have a look at what they've done.

Technically, as we have not signed any documents, it is still mine, but they have it with them for now.

Because of what has happened, the deal is kind of in a limbo state, pending the resolution of the problems (one way or another). Once we have a resolution (whatever that may be) then we can work out the other bits and pieces around that.

I doubt it, no. It's just for this week.

If there is a need to re-order, then something would have to be resolved for the interim (I may keep my old car or it may be something else).

I am sure that they do.

The test will be if you can tell that it's been done and, there, the main problems are most likely to be the texture of the metallic (which is hard to match) and/or slight colour differences….

I am certain it is being dealt with seriously.. Let's see what happens…
FWIW, my first car was damaged and resprayed, by my dealers repair shop. Looked really good....actually the new paint was better than factory. They also blended it into the other panels which meant colour match was as good as.

Having said that, my current car has been dinged courtesy of a work colleague. Damage to the actual door is not that bad, but the BMW workshop said it needs a new door, as it is aluminium skinned and can't be repaired like steel doors.

If I were you I would reject.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2013, 11:21 AM   #30
PrinceBarin
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F82 CP (sold)

Thinking about it, I would want a serious guarantee/warranty on any repair work. If the area starts rusting / flaking in 2-3 years and it screws your value you'll be livid if it's not covered.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2013, 11:32 AM   #31
jbtco
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

I suspect that cars are pretty regularly damaged in shipping or prep and repaired without the customer being any the wiser.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2013, 11:33 AM   #32
DazC
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbtco View Post
I suspect that cars are pretty regularly damaged in shipping or prep and repaired without the customer being any the wiser.
Indeed.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2013, 11:49 AM   #33
DaveA
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
Having said that, my current car has been dinged courtesy of a work colleague. Damage to the actual door is not that bad, but the BMW workshop said it needs a new door, as it is aluminium skinned and can't be repaired like steel doors.
That's one of those, isn't it.. On the one hand, sounds like you're being spun a yarn, on the other hand, sounds entirely plausible..!!

Wow, well, I'll be asking about that, for certain… Fortunately, I have a really mate who's done that game for 25 years or so, now.. So I have a good person to bounce all this off..
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2013, 11:50 AM   #34
Apl440i or 335d?
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335D

Quote:

I saw a brand new 318d M sport in the dealers the other day with a kerbed wheel (19") and a chunk out of the tyre.

There was a yellow circle drawn around the damage. But it was still on the sales floor. I would not want that in the view of the customer if I was the sales manager...
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2013, 11:50 AM   #35
DaveA
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Yup.. I was pretty certain this happened to a car of mine some 10/12 years ago.. The badges were on the wrong side of the tailgate..!!!
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2013, 12:16 PM   #36
DaveA
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Are you talking about your F30 NISFAN?

Because, as far as I am aware, the doors on an F30 are made of steel.. I found this which might shed some more light…

http://www.bimmerpost.com/goodiesfor...roduction1.pdf
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2013, 01:55 PM   #37
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Are you talking about your F30 NISFAN?

Because, as far as I am aware, the doors on an F30 are made of steel.. I found this which might shed some more light…

http://www.bimmerpost.com/goodiesfor...roduction1.pdf
Oh right....well I was told aluminium skin on F30. Good job BMW bodyshop know what is isn't
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2013, 02:23 PM   #38
DaveA
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Well, to be fair, you could have more than one car, and I might have been at the sherry..

Quote:
Oh right....well I was told aluminium skin on F30. Good job BMW body shop know what is isn't
They're on the ball.. no.. that's not quite what I meant.. on something, anyway..
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2013, 03:58 PM   #39
Chrishumes
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 330d xdrive

I'd reject it, simples. Your paying a lot of cash for your car, ensure its perfect.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2013, 04:05 PM   #40
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 911, Cayenne Turbo, Disco 4

Absolute nightmare, I would be devastated, as it would spoil so much of the enjoyment of getting a brand new car!

Having said that, if you knew the amount of repair work that actually goes on at any franchised dealer (any make) you'd be amazed. Not necessarily new cars so much but a lot of the approved used cars go through a lot of sometic repair work. Half of them have had parts resprayed (inside and out), and almost all have had wheels refurbed. A lot of good repair work is done, it's just that you only hear about, or see the bad work!

I am sure by the time you see your car again it will look perfect and if you hadn't known, then you would never have seen it. At least they've been straight with you, when it would have been easy to conjur up a cock and bull story!
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2013, 04:13 PM   #41
DazC
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
A good bodyshop can work wonders mate. Doing a better job than the factory in many instances.

I've witnessed some fantastic paint jobs on cars. Flip, chameleon, matte, etc. all done aftermarket.

Don't worry. Hopefully it'll be sound. If not, just reject and they'll do whatever they can to prevent that.
Appreciate 0