F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > F30/F32/F33 Classifieds (For Sale / Trade / Wanted) > Members Classifieds > Exterior Parts > Carbon Fiber side fins: A few fins more...
proTUNING Freaks

05-05-2016, 03:31 PM   #23
ProjectCarbon
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335i F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvroom View Post
Hey man, first I'd like to say I appreciate this post. Perhaps you brought up some questions, concerns people have. Second, this is not a business nor do I have any plans to make it such. I've tried to be transparent with you guys from the get go. I'll answer what I know, but i won't lie about what I do not. Thickness of the material: 3/32", 2.4mm. As far as the resin here's what their website says "panels use the regular black 2x2 twill carbon fiber fabric and are hardened using quality crystal clear resin". Guessing that can mean anything. They also claim to use a UV protective coating. As far as the longevity of the material that I do not know. What i do know is I've had mine on my car for about 3-4 months and they look the same as the day I put them on. (actually they're just dirty from daily driving) I'll give you guys some background as to why I'm making these, and after you still want a set i'll be more than happy to move forward. If you decide you don't that is fine as well.

About 6 months back I noticed my friend had some plastic fins on a his car. I asked him where he had purchased them and he told me they were on the bumper when he purchased it. He was cool enough to actually give them to me, so i could try and make a set of my own. Fast forward about a month, I met some pretty cool dudes at a biweekly meeting in Orange County. I figured I would ask them if they might be interested in some since i had plans to make a set anyways. The pictures above are from their cars. I never advertised them on here, nor did I ever plan to make more. Had just made them for friends and that was all. Some of the guys took pictures and posted them on their build threads. People began to ask them where they can get a set, so I decided if there was enough interest I'd be happy to make some more. Do I have any qualifications to make these? Probably not. This was my first time making any car parts. What I do have are 2 degrees in architecture, so I do have a design background and love creating new things. I'm not making these for any monetary gains. Only thing I get out of this is a pissed off daughter that the small free time I get i'm working on these. That is why if I go forward in making these, it will be the last time I do. This is getting way to long. Again appreciate the post man, and if you guys are still interested in me making them great. If not, great.
Glad to see some info on this. Don't stop making these just because. If you have made a quality part and want to share with the community then that's what this forum is all about. At 10 pieces its def a biz, as an importer and manufacture of sorts I can tell you that the R & D process for many aero parts are junk and just cosmetic. If you are taking time away from your children to make these parts thats on you, but from the price you are compensated so you can take your kid to Disneyland or something. Throwing a rant about this is just silly. Stick to your guns about your product and sell it. If it goes good you can always throw another group buy again. Like I said, Im just watching out for the forum members. Been doing this for over 18 years. Peace!
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2016, 11:19 PM   #24
Chicken_Joe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 335i M Sport. EB 6M

When is the payment due? I would get on the list it I need a bit of time but I want them lol
13' 335i M Sport. EBII/Coral Red 6MT. RPI GT exhaust, Resonator delete, PS1, GFB DV , BM3 Stage 2, ER CP, VRSF DP, VRSF 5.5in Stepped FMIC, Dinan Shockware. Carbon M Performance rear diffuser. M4 trunk lip. Conti DWS06 225/40/19 and 255/35/19
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2016, 09:47 AM   #25
vvroom
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F36 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicken_Joe View Post
When is the payment due? I would get on the list it I need a bit of time but I want them lol
Not until I get the material and I have the file ready to cut. I already ordered the sheet of CF and it has an expected delivery date of this tuesday (5/10).

that's the cut file for the last set I made. I can squeeze 12 sets on the sheet I ordered. That's the max I can make. The difference this time is i'm making sets for a few different series (e90,e92,f22,f30,f32,f36), so it's more than likely that some will be a little different as far as the shape and length. I'm working on getting all the different lengths and mounting bolt locations for all the models this weekend. Once I have all the sets cut i'll begin putting them together and shipping them out as you pay. I'll keep you guys updated with photos of the process. I'm going to post a new list so if your name is not on there let me know. Thanks guys

Last edited by vvroom; 05-07-2016 at 09:58 AM..
Appreciate 1
      05-07-2016, 09:49 AM   #26
Chicken_Joe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Not until I get the material and I have the file ready to cut. I already ordered the sheet of CF and it has an expected delivery date of this tuesday (5/10).

that's the cut file for the last set I made. I can squeeze 12 sets on the sheet I ordered. That's the max I can make. The difference this time is i'm making sets for a few different series (e90,e92,f22,f30,f32,f36), so it's more than likely that some will be a little different as far as the shape and length. I'm working on getting all the different lengths and mounting bolt locations for all the models this weekend. Once I have all the sets cut i'll begin putting them together and shipping them out as you pay. I'll keep you guys updated with photos of the process. I'm going to post a new list so if your name is not on there let me know. Thanks guys

Ah what the hell. Sign me up. Those are fresh dude. Props to you for making a cost effective Bespoke part. I would love to see some front lip aero or even side skit extensions.
13' 335i M Sport. EBII/Coral Red 6MT. RPI GT exhaust, Resonator delete, PS1, GFB DV , BM3 Stage 2, ER CP, VRSF DP, VRSF 5.5in Stepped FMIC, Dinan Shockware. Carbon M Performance rear diffuser. M4 trunk lip. Conti DWS06 225/40/19 and 255/35/19
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2016, 09:57 AM   #27
vvroom
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Ah what the hell. Sign me up. Those are fresh dude. Props to you for making a cost effective Bespoke part. I would love to see some front lip aero or even side skit extensions.
Cool man, put you down on the list (first page)
I know a few people have asked me about making some other parts. As of right now I don't really have the time. I'm working on 4 sets of extensions for some local guys. Depending on how they turn out perhaps in the near future i'll make consider making those for you guys. It's just a lot of work because all 4 sets are somewhat different. A lot of us have different mods and likes, so why should there only be one design that we can choose from.
Appreciate 1
      05-07-2016, 09:59 AM   #28
Chicken_Joe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Would It be possible to make some sort of rear diffuser to fit under the exhaust tip outlets utilizing this design? Just out of curiosity?
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2016, 10:09 AM   #29
vvroom
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicken_Joe
Would It be possible to make some sort of rear diffuser to fit under the exhaust tip outlets utilizing this design? Just out of curiosity?
I do believe it's possible. I'm kind of new to the f30 models so I'm going to try to make several different custom parts for my car. Some may be junk some might actually look cool. We'll see. I'll keep you guys posted. If any of you guys are going to bimmerfest at the end of the month, let's meet and discuss some ideas.
Appreciate 1
      05-07-2016, 11:43 PM   #30
MrF30
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:

I need 2 sets...one for me, one for a friend, so I had put my name twice. lol
EXTERIOR: M Sport front bumper/side skirts, M3 rear bumper/fenders, black M3 kidney grilles, cf M3 mirror caps, cf MP trunk spoiler, ACS roof spoiler, side blades, black roof, Grigio Telesto, STANCE: Rotiform SPF 19"s, BC Racing BR coilovers, UUC front end-links, orange calipers, ENGINE: PS1, Wagner FMIC, Borla S-Type exhaust, quad ti tips, VRSF dp/cp, JB4, INTERIOR: ACS pedals, WeatherTech floor & BMW trunk mats
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2016, 02:01 AM   #31
F30silverbullet
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30/335

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvroom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicken_Joe
I do believe it's possible. I'm kind of new to the f30 models so I'm going to try to make several different custom parts for my car. Some may be junk some might actually look cool. We'll see. I'll keep you guys posted. If any of you guys are going to bimmerfest at the end of the month, let's meet and discuss some ideas.
Im interested in a set. Add me
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2016, 01:43 PM   #32
vvroom
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

UPDATE: This weekend forum member ///WORK-F36 was able to meet up with me, so i could figure out the mounting bolt locations. Just wanted to say thanks for taking some of your free time to help me out. Major difference was that the side length of the bumper was a lot smaller than the f30s,e90,e92s. I changed the shape to match the body lines of the 4 series as well. I don't receive the material until tomorrow but I will making one mock up to test on ///WORK-F36 car before I make the final sets. It's a process, but my goal is by the end of this week early next week i'll have them all dialed down for the f32,f36s guys. I quickly modeled the fin design for the 4 series and photoshopped it on his car.

I'll keep the updates coming as I continue to make progress. Thanks
Appreciate 1
      05-10-2016, 02:00 PM   #33
vvroom
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

UPDATE: CF is out for delivery today. Should have it by the time I get home today. I had ordered another small sheet that I had planned to use for some parts for my cars, but since there has been more interested than I expected i'll go ahead and use it for additional fins. Total now is 18 but that is the MAX. Okay here is an image of what the final cut file may look like. I'll make corrections and changes if needed.

Check your name to see if you're on it and if it's for the correct series (e9x,f3x). Later tonight or tomorrow morning i'll post all the paypal details. What I would need from you guys is a $20 dollar deposit to hold your spot. Even though the e90,92,f30 fins look similar in size some are 1/8"-1/4" smaller or larger. The f32,f36 are completely different. The reason I'm asking for the deposit is because I don't want to be stuck with extra sets. Plus, in case you decide you don't want one any longer, i'll see if someone wants to take that open spot. I plan to go into the office on Saturday or Sunday to get them all cut, so that would be the deadline to hold your spot. Once I have all the sets cut, i'll begin sending them out as you pay the remaining $150. Those who pay first will be receiving them first. Everything has been ordered (shipping boxes,bolts,nuts,brackets, etc.). Again, thanks for all the interest guys. Check later today or tomorrow for the payment details
Appreciate 1
      05-11-2016, 09:42 AM   #34
vvroom
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

CF Sheet is here

paypal: moeguti@gmail.com

I plan to go into work most likely this Saturday to cut all the pieces. I'll be posting an updated cut file with the people that paid the deposit. If you decide and already know you'd like to be removed from the list please let me know. On the paypal notes please include forum name, car, silver or black hardware, and shipping address. Alright guys, let me know if you have any questions.

Last edited by vvroom; 10-21-2016 at 03:53 PM..
Appreciate 1
      05-12-2016, 04:10 PM   #35
ProjectCarbon
Banned
Rep

That actually looks good, can the brackets be modded so the that the fin is on the side of the bumper rather the bottom of it. Will give the rear more width.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2016, 09:01 PM   #36
aktif8
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 M4c vert

Garage List
Can you put me down for an f32 set pls
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2016, 10:57 PM   #37
Chicken_Joe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
CF Sheet is here

I plan to go into work most likely this Saturday to cut all the pieces. I'll be posting an updated cut file with the people that paid the deposit. If you decide and already know you'd like to be removed from the list please let me know. On the paypal notes please include forum name, car, silver or black hardware, and shipping address. Alright guys, let me know if you have any questions.

Here's some better pics with the set on my f30

I will go ahead and pay right now. YAY! These are going to look amazing. I am super excited. I would love for you to maybe make me some custom 1 off pieces. Maybe a full rear splitter or even a rear wing. I am a CAD/CAM student so i could probably come up with a design you could utilize. Being that teh fins you have on the computer screen look like they are being cut out in something similar to the TorchMate Software I would be absolutely willing to pay for some nice custom pieces! .
Appreciate 1
      05-12-2016, 10:59 PM   #38
Chicken_Joe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
CF Sheet is here

Here's some better pics with the set on my f30

Also I will shoot you the money but I ma not sure if you want it to be sent via F&F or a Net of 170.00 to you via G&S. Let Us know please to avoid any confusion.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2016, 11:13 PM   #39
vvroom
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectCarbon View Post
That actually looks good, can the brackets be modded so the that the fin is on the side of the bumper rather the bottom of it. Will give the rear more width.
Hey man, thank you. Really do appreciate that. In all honesty I do believe they can be modified. I use a 1" L bracket that bolts on to the stock mounting locations under our bumpers.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2016, 11:20 PM   #40
vvroom
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Also I will shoot you the money but I ma not sure if you want it to be sent via F&F or a Net of 170.00 to you via G&S. Let Us know please to avoid any confusion.
Hey thank you man Yeah feel free to send me any files of pieces you'd like. I definitely enjoy trying to design and create new stuff. I apologize for the lack of updates today. Was busy making sure they mock up i made for all the 4 series fit correctly. As far as the payment i'd appreciate net of 170 G&S. I need to update the current post on the first page. I'll be getting all the pieces laser cut on sunday so by next week I should be able to start sending them out. If you pay the full amount you'll be the first set going out. Again thank you for the interest and hit me up whenever you want to colab. on some custom parts.
Appreciate 1
      05-12-2016, 11:24 PM   #41
vvroom
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aktif8 View Post
Can you put me down for an f32 set pls
Yes i'll put you down for the last spot I have for the 4 series.
Here's some pics i took from the mock up I test fit on an f36. I checked with another forum member and its the exact length as the f32s.

i'm adjusting the length by making it a 1/4" longer so it lines up perfect with the wheel well
Appreciate 1
      05-12-2016, 11:35 PM   #42
Chicken_Joe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hey thank you man Yeah feel free to send me any files of pieces you'd like. I definitely enjoy trying to design and create new stuff. I apologize for the lack of updates today. Was busy making sure they mock up i made for all the 4 series fit correctly. As far as the payment i'd appreciate net of 170 G&S. I need to update the current post on the first page. I'll be getting all the pieces laser cut on sunday so by next week I should be able to start sending them out. If you pay the full amount you'll be the first set going out. Again thank you for the interest and hit me up whenever you want to colab. on some custom parts.
Got it. I sent the money just now. The total you could add for Goods and Services should be $175.39 In the OP.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2016, 12:40 AM   #43
ProjectCarbon
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Hey man, thank you. Really do appreciate that. In all honesty I do believe they can be modified. I use a 1" L bracket that bolts on to the stock mounting locations under our bumpers.
That sounds awesome. Maybe on a next run you can do some design concepts for the side.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2016, 11:10 AM   #44
eddy403
Rep
Drives: 2014 435i xDrive

Can't wait to see these in person! Good work

BMW 435i xDrive M Performance (sold)
BMW X3 35i M Sport
Instagram: @gunter_x3_n55
Appreciate 0