F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Maximum Seat Height Issue
ARMA SPEED

11-17-2012, 08:33 PM   #1
JMAX
Rep
Drives: 2013 335ix

Maximum Seat Height Issue

I went for a test-drive yesterday. I'm 5' 8" - Even with the seat adjusted all the way up, it still felt uncomfortably low as I like a relatively high driving position. (My soon to be gone C300 4MATIC Sport had awesome height travel.)

I felt my problem was a bit aggravated by the F30's bulging hood line.

I think even an extra inch upward would have been perfect for me.

[Interestingly, I have seen discussions about certain BMW models' seats actually being too high (even in the lowest setting).]

What I have not seen is the opposite. In other words, whether it would be possible to "unbolt" the driver's seat, add a "lift" and bolt it back, thereby gaining the additional height.

When you guys look at where the seat is bolted, does it look as if the metal "rails" upon which the seat (and its motorized mechanisms) rests is uncomplicatedly bolted to the floor, so as to permit that kind of modification relatively without much fuss? Or does it look too elaborate and complicated of a project? (Please don't suggest an a** pillow. )

Thanks.

(P/S - nothing to do with sport v. non-sport seats - same height on both).
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2012, 08:52 PM   #2
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

Sorry, don't have a solution but wanted to comment on your C300, as I have one and while the seat height may suit you better, those seats are flat out awful and I can't wait to get rid of that car because of them.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2012, 09:27 PM   #3
vern
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 335i Sport 2006 X3

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMAX View Post
I went for a test-drive yesterday. I'm 5' 8" - Even with the seat adjusted all the way up, it still felt uncomfortably low as I like a relatively high driving position. (My soon to be gone C300 4MATIC Sport had awesome height travel.)

[Interestingly, I have seen discussions about certain BMW models' seats actually being too high (even in the lowest setting).]

What I have not seen is the opposite. In other words, whether it would be possible to "unbolt" the driver's seat, add a "lift" and bolt it back, thereby gaining the additional height.

When you guys look at where the seat is bolted, does it look as if the metal "rails" upon which the seat (and its motorized mechanisms) rests is uncomplicatedly bolted to the floor, so as to permit that kind of modification relatively without much fuss? Or does it look too elaborate and complicated of a project? (Please don't suggest an a** pillow. )

Thanks.

I had the same problem as you,since May when I got the 2012 F30 Sport I always felt like I was sitting in a hole with the set height all the way up. My 2010 535i was the perfect hight adjustment, I could see over the hood .
The other day I got back to try and adjust the hight on the F30 so I could see over the hood like on the 535. I don't know what happen when I kept fooling around with the knobs but now the seat is just the way it was in the 535, high enough to see over the hood and I'm really enjoying the ride much more than before. I'm 5'10. Good luck with yours. Don't give up.
cheers
vern
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2012, 09:41 PM   #4
rallybull
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i w/PPK

JMAX... I felt the same... kinda got used to it by now. However, for me there is an issue in increasing the seat height to the max -- the rear view mirror blocks my 45 degree view in front totally.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2012, 10:30 PM   #5
Boosted John
Internet Ninja
Rep
Drives: 13 AH3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisny View Post
Sorry, don't have a solution but wanted to comment on your C300, as I have one and while the seat height may suit you better, those seats are flat out awful and I can't wait to get rid of that car because of them.
you would think the seats in the c class were out of a dodge neon.. they do suck..

Appreciate 0
      11-17-2012, 11:13 PM   #6
Frogman
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by vern View Post
I had the same problem as you,since May when I got the 2012 F30 Sport I always felt like I was sitting in a hole with the set height all the way up. My 2010 535i was the perfect hight adjustment, I could see over the hood .
The other day I got back to try and adjust the hight on the F30 so I could see over the hood like on the 535. I don't know what happen when I kept fooling around with the knobs but now the seat is just the way it was in the 535, high enough to see over the hood and I'm really enjoying the ride much more than before. I'm 5'10. Good luck with yours. Don't give up.
cheers
vern
My wife is pretty short (5'1") and we also had to play with the seat buttons a lot to get the seat high enough for her. It seems to take a combination of height and tilt. Just keep trying and the seat should get high enough for you.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2012, 11:31 PM   #7
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosted John
you would think the seats in the c class were out of a dodge neon.. they do suck..
Can't tell you how many times I curse that car daily.. Drive it an hour and 15 to work every day and my back aches like an old man. Drive my wife's X3 for 7 hours to Montreal with no aches at all (so I'm not just old!).
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2012, 01:30 AM   #8
Pandarakus
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMAX View Post

Thanks.

I'm 5,7 and it seems perfectly fine for me. I even lowered the seat a lot from the highest position. It's just the matter of habit. You will get used to it don't worry. Almost all medium size to big cars are like that bro
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2012, 02:52 AM   #9
zeezz
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Sport Line

make sure you are using your thumb and index finger to adjust the height - the switch controls both the front and the back of the seat bottom independently. I didn't figure out the rear movement until I had the car for a few days.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2012, 08:50 AM   #10
Jamesons Viggen
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '98 M Roadster stg 2+ S/C

I feel the same way. I feel a bit sunken in and would like a bit more of a commanding view. If the seat could go 1-1.5" higher it would be perfect.

'98 Dinan/RMS stage 2+(VAC cams, CES Cutring etc)
'15 Buick Regal "T"(wife)
'06 Saab 9-5 Combi 5mt (full suspension, LSD, clipped turbo etc)
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2012, 09:33 AM   #11
Jbrock22
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2pw

Garage List
BMW   [0.00]
Same here I am 5'8". Coming from a GTI, used to sitting high. After about two weeks I got used to the seating postion and find the car very comfortable.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2014, 01:28 PM   #12
Mibrel
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i xDrive

Any solution?

I'm experiencing the same issue. The driver's seat in my 2013 328i xDrive isn't high enough.

Admittedly, I'm shorter than most at 5'6".

But I've never had this issue with a prior car -- including the Benz C-Class that I traded in for the BMW.

Any solutions? JMAX, did anything ever come of your idea to heighten the seat?

Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2014, 02:04 PM   #13
Kafkaesque328
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 328i M Sport

It's an issue if you aren't tall the sport bucket seats. Get a foam wedge and sit on that. 2" should be fine and it'll also close the gap where the seat bottom meats the seat back, being easier on your back
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2014, 02:04 PM   #14
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mibrel View Post
I'm experiencing the same issue. The driver's seat in my 2013 328i xDrive isn't high enough.

Admittedly, I'm shorter than most at 5'6".

But I've never had this issue with a prior car -- including the Benz C-Class that I traded in for the BMW.

Any solutions? JMAX, did anything ever come of your idea to heighten the seat?

Thank you.
Don't assume you are stuck with too low a seat, ensure you are actually getting the seat to the highest position. As has been commented on, you must make sure you are not 'stalling' the seat movement by not adjusting both the front and rear of the seat.

Many have found, once they use the correct method, the seat does raise more than first thought. It is the same in the 5-series, users have thought the seat adjustment is too limited.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2014, 03:53 AM   #15
dannywooly77
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335d xDrive

I had this problem took a hire car (f30 330d) to Manchester around 300 miles, and felt very low, I did however come from my Qashqai but was most surprised when my dad got in it and couldn't hardly see over the dash.

It seems to have a ridiculous drop and not the same insane movement in the other direction.

However all this said in the dealer the other day i found the tilt! That makes a massive difference, if you get the seat all the way to the top then tilt the seat backwards, obviously moving the back to compensate i was able to feel quite a bit higher in the seat.

Hence why i brought it LOL!
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2014, 04:44 AM   #16
x5mad
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: iX 40

Garage List
bmw  [0.00]
How weird.

I am finding the opposite. I am 5"10 and can't get the seat low enough for my liking. At its current lowest setting I have the recommended hand width of space from top of my head to the roof. However, I would prefer to sit a bit lower.

If I adjusted the seat higher my head would most likely touch or almost touch the roof.
Appreciate 1
      03-26-2014, 06:36 AM   #17
DrivenByE30
Brigadier General
France
Rep
Drives: '12 F30 Lux 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by x5mad View Post
How weird.

I am finding the opposite. I am 5"10 and can't get the seat low enough for my liking. At its current lowest setting I have the recommended hand width of space from top of my head to the roof. However, I would prefer to sit a bit lower.

If I adjusted the seat higher my head would most likely touch or almost touch the roof.
I am not sure which car you are referring to, since your signatures doesn't show any F30.

But i am in the same situation as you, and contrarily to everyone on this thread, i think the F30 (regular seat) dont go low enough.

So i have the opposite problem to OP.

I wish the F30 seat could go an inch lower at its lowest position.

i feel like i am driving a cross-over, even at the most down position of the seat.

I am 5ft7 and i would prefer a more sporty low down sitting position.

Somehow the lowest sitting position in the 4 series is exactly what i like!
Might have to switch car just for it
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2014, 10:48 AM   #18
dougstand
ddraig
United_States
Rep
Drives: 435i M-sport Melbourne Red

If sport seats still seem low for you at 5'8", an easy and inexpensive item to try would be like the "Contour Kabooti ", which is just a memory foam wedge, with covers of different color choices, small enough to fit inside the sport seat bottom. It will raise you up enough that you may then be able to drop the seat with adjustments. Amazon has them.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2014, 07:36 PM   #19
x5mad
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: iX 40

Garage List
bmw  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivenByE30
Quote:
Originally Posted by x5mad View Post
How weird.

I am not sure which car you are referring to, since your signatures doesn't show any F30.

But i am in the same situation as you, and contrarily to everyone on this thread, i think the F30 (regular seat) dont go low enough.

So i have the opposite problem to OP.

I wish the F30 seat could go an inch lower at its lowest position.

i feel like i am driving a cross-over, even at the most down position of the seat.

I am 5ft7 and i would prefer a more sporty low down sitting position.

Somehow the lowest sitting position in the 4 series is exactly what i like!
Might have to switch car just for it
F30

Just haven't updated my profile yet
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2014, 07:44 PM   #20
2blu
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 540i XDrive ///M Sport

Guys we are talking about BMWs here, the ultimate driving machines. Keep the seats as low as possible to maintain optimal handling, you have to keep that center of gravity as low as possible !
Appreciate 1
      03-30-2014, 07:52 PM   #21
raleedy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i 6-speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2blu View Post
Guys we are talking about BMWs here, the ultimate driving machines. Keep the seats as low as possible to maintain optimal handling, you have to keep that center of gravity as low as possible !
Watch your language.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2015, 06:35 PM   #22
Tomahawk
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 328I MSport

Old thread i know but the is definitely deals with an issue i am having. My particular car doesnt go all the way DOWN. I have sat in at least 20 other sport/msport f30s and my cars seat will not go as low as all of the others?! Any ideas on what is happening? Dont really want to remove seat to investigate unless i have some idea what to fix.
Appreciate 0