F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Edinburgh Dealer query
Studio RSR

05-19-2017, 02:37 PM   #1
CuriousYellow
Rep
Drives: Old n rusty

Edinburgh Dealer query

Hi All (first time caller long time listener, here)

Hopefully this is the right place to ask.

Just a quick question for anyone with an opinion (yes I know ) on Edinburgh BMW dealerships - and their servicing and workshop departments. i.e. how things have gone once you bought the car.

I'm looking to buy an F34 and the local options are either :
Peter Vardy BMW Edinburgh or Eastern BMW Edinburgh.....

Any experiences ?
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2017, 03:20 PM   #2
scotgc
Captain
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 440i

I have used both and I can't really say that I have a preference to be honest. Vardy will probably try harder to get a deal from you.

Why Edinburgh might I ask ? I got my most recent car my 440i from Grassicks in Perth !

Great little dealer can put you in touch with the salesman if you want, very personal touch as the owner Colin still works there.

Very keen to do a deal with me and basically handed me the keys to an M140i for a test drive telling me and the wife to come back in a few hours of test drive.

Current - L494 Range Rover Sport
Previous - F32 440i Tanzanite Blue - F30 335d X drive Black Sapphire
- E92 330d LCI M Sport Alpine White - E92 325d M Sport - E87 120d M Sport - Mk5 Golf GTI - Ep3 Civic Type R
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2017, 03:48 PM   #3
Surturminn
Private First Class
Iceland
Rep
Drives: Jaguar XF 250 Sportback

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousYellow View Post
Hi All (first time caller long time listener, here)

Hopefully this is the right place to ask.

Just a quick question for anyone with an opinion (yes I know ) on Edinburgh BMW dealerships - and their servicing and workshop departments. i.e. how things have gone once you bought the car.

I'm looking to buy an F34 and the local options are either :
Peter Vardy BMW Edinburgh or Eastern BMW Edinburgh.....

Any experiences ?
Visited both before getting mine, Vardy's was far less interested compared with Eastern, who were pretty good tbh, maybe just lucky
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2017, 04:22 PM   #4
73henny
Lieutenant Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: a lovely new G20 320dx

I've been to both for quotes. Weren't interested in a decent discount. So ordered my last BMWs from Stirling.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2017, 04:30 PM   #5
CuriousYellow
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotgc View Post
I have used both and I can't really say that I have a preference to be honest. Vardy will probably try harder to get a deal from you.

Why Edinburgh might I ask ? I got my most recent car my 440i from Grassicks in Perth !

Great little dealer can put you in touch with the salesman if you want, very personal touch as the owner Colin still works there.

Very keen to do a deal with me and basically handed me the keys to an M140i for a test drive telling me and the wife to come back in a few hours of test drive.
It's local so that makes it simpler (though a crappy local dealer is never better than an excellent remote one) it's easier to pop in with queries etc.

I used to go up to Dundee to get my GS (may she rust in pieces ) serviced at the BMW dealer there 5 or so years ago so it's not impossible, but can be time consuming.

Cheers for the info on Grassicks (though I'm not sure it the wife will speak to me if I drag her into yet another dealership )
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2017, 05:16 PM   #6
CuriousYellow
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73henny View Post
I've been to both for quotes. Weren't interested in a decent discount. So ordered my last BMWs from Stirling.
Ta 73henny,
Just had a look at Douglas Park's website and they're offering a deposit contribution about £4,800 which is similar to Vardy and Eastern so they all seem to be in the same ball-park.

Ta, Wish I had got this sorted before the ed of April (they were offering around £6000)

Cheers,
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2017, 05:30 AM   #7
Rbrown
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Maybe also have a look at Blue Bells Crewe. They are offering some good discounts - and deliver the car "north of the border". PM me if you want s contact to get a quote from.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2017, 05:46 AM   #8
stu14t
Major
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 330i MSport Pro

I started a conversation with Eastern when I bought this one in 2015. However, they just blanked me when I started to push harder. They also messed up on a fault which Vardy managed to sort out.

Vardy now have my business for anything else.

I ended up getting my LCI from Stratstone Harrogate. The are part of larger group and the car was delivered to Edinburgh for me no problems. Don't be scared to go further to get a deal as Rbrown says.
Gone - 2012 F30 320 ED
Gone - 2011 E87 118d
Appreciate 1
HiBee120.50
      05-20-2017, 09:49 AM   #9
Grim
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 320i X M Sport

Play the two together (Vardy and Eastern) with a C2C quote. Vardy's bet C2C for me (tho thats cos they accidentally sold a showroom car I'd already bought... But that's another story...)

Maintenance wise or anything like that; go-to Eastern. The Eastern Accident Repair centre has to be seen to be believed, it's like a fricking clean room full of Mercs Minis and BMW. And the prices are insanely good (BMW Certified Body Shop too).

Vardy is certified but they sublet body work to some guy who floats between dealerships.

Vardy quoted me 500 exc. VAT for a small scratch repair (BMW cert.)
Eastern was 144 inc. VAT (BMW cert)

Vardy move a boat load of cars, so are pretty amicable about doing a near-cost sell from C2C. Eastern sell way more 5's and 7's than Vardy.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2017, 10:43 AM   #10
CuriousYellow
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim View Post
Play the two together (Vardy and Eastern) with a C2C quote. Vardy's bet C2C for me (tho thats cos they accidentally sold a showroom car I'd already bought... But that's another story...)

Maintenance wise or anything like that; go-to Eastern. The Eastern Accident Repair centre has to be seen to be believed, it's like a fricking clean room full of Mercs Minis and BMW. And the prices are insanely good (BMW Certified Body Shop too).

Vardy is certified but they sublet body work to some guy who floats between dealerships.

Vardy move a boat load of cars, so are pretty amicable about doing a near-cost sell from C2C. Eastern sell way more 5's and 7's than Vardy.

Lots of good info there, was confused about c2c but google (other search engines are available) coughed up car discounters so it all makes sense now.

Eastern is matching Vardys at the moment, didn't think about matching against discounters/online so thanks for that.

Vardys were pretty up front on the 'pile 'em high - sell 'em low front and Eastern did mention they were a 5 star facility - it's nice to know they weren't blowing smoke.

Right off to checkout c2c.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2017, 10:53 AM   #11
Grim
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousYellow View Post
Lots of good info there, was confused about c2c but google (other search engines are available) coughed up car discounters so it all makes sense now.

Eastern is matching Vardys at the moment, didn't think about matching against discounters/online so thanks for that.

Vardys were pretty up front on the 'pile 'em high - sell 'em low front and Eastern did mention they were a 5 star facility - it's nice to know they weren't blowing smoke.

Right off to checkout c2c.

Cheers

No worries. Vardys will give you this shpeel about being blacklisted if caught working with C2C. Ignore them, tell them if you want their business they need to match. Remember most dealers offer UK-wide delivery of a vehicle for only a few hundred quid. Regardless being within a few hundred of a C2C quote typically saves you a few bob!
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2017, 12:00 PM   #12
Nobby Clark
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F36 430d xDrive M Sport

Been to Eastern after experiencing Vardy's poor service On more than one occasion. Can't fault Eastern. They will deal and will beat Vardys.
Remember Edinburgh dealers have a huge fleet market so worth checking Grassicks as oreviously suggested.

Be aware, Eastern will give you prerential treatment if you bought your car from them rather than for C2C or Vardys but you might expect that from any dealer.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2017, 01:46 PM   #13
1MSK
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Awaiting on F30 335d

Garage List
Grassicks Perth offered best deal in Scotland, but i have ended up ordering through Sytner in Sheffield due to my present PCP deal not ending until september.

Previously owned; F30 335d XDRIVE, MB C250d AMG Line, F30 320D M Sport, E92 330d MSport &
E90 320d SE
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2017, 01:54 PM   #14
Rukka
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbrown View Post
Maybe also have a look at Blue Bells Crewe. They are offering some good discounts - and deliver the car "north of the border". PM me if you want s contact to get a quote from.
+1 for Blue Bell. I used them for my 440i through C2C.

Fairly local for me as I'm only 40 minutes away.

North of the border, I have dealt with John Clarke too. Bought a used 220 off them and when I came to order a new 235i a year later they provided a very competitive quote. Only went with my local dealer in the end as he beat it by £10 a month and three in some freebies.

Nice dealership though (John Clarke)

Past: C43, X4 M40i, TTS, M4 CP, 440i, 435d, M235i, 220d, F30, E90, E87
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2017, 03:44 PM   #15
HiBee
Major
Rep
Drives: F90 Comp 2019. DG & Silverston

I have also used both.
Eastern where slightlly better IMO after negs with our southern brothers

Take care with Grassicks though unless your are commited. They're not keen on refunding deposit if you change your mind.
They want 1K deposit straight away, if no deal within the year no deposit returned
I found this out when i got a sigfnificant better deal with Eastern.
Well covered 1K loss with the discount.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2017, 04:00 PM   #16
HiBee
Major
Rep

Quote:

Eastern clean room isn't quite clean. IMO.
Before i took my motor in for a service it was checked through out. No issues.

Call from Eastern. Sorry sir but you have a defective tyre on the run flat. It needs a replacement. Video footage of a small tack in the side wall.
It looked to me & others that it had been stuck in.
Refused advise & checked out at trye company. No fault.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2017, 04:17 PM   #17
HiBee
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobby Clark View Post
Been to Eastern after experiencing Vardy's poor service On more than one occasion. Can't fault Eastern. They will deal and will beat Vardys.
Remember Edinburgh dealers have a huge fleet market so worth checking Grassicks as oreviously suggested.

Be aware, Eastern will give you prerential treatment if you bought your car from them rather than for C2C or Vardys but you might expect that from any dealer.

I have found that the bigger companies in the area are more prone to give bigger discounts. under cutting competition.
For me Eastern was a significant difference from Vardy.

They are a piss poor price wise on additionals though.
I got the OEM rear diffuser, exhaust tips & grills for 50% less elsewhere from another dealer fully fitted.

Mine is due it's first service, wondering on where to take it.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2017, 05:15 AM   #18
admg
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G30 540i xDrive

I'd avoid Eastern at all costs if I was you. They'll just waste your time.

Went in for a service on my e84, took 4 hours on a Saturday morning then the following tuesday I get a call saying they forgot to do the fuel filter! Had to go back to them the following Sat and they took another 4 hours. On top of that, they had a real attitude problem all round. Asked them why it was taking so long, some numpty salesman snapped and said they were busy. Didn't have a response when I asked him why they bother with appointments then!

For the next service I took it to Vardy and couldn't fault them, they were done in about an hour and a half with no issues, offered to pick up the car etc rather than me coming in myself.

For my f31 though, I went to Grassicks in perth as they were offering the best deal, not that I'd have even considered giving Eastern any business! Went through carwow to get in touch with them.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2017, 06:47 AM   #19
Cootie
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335d Xdrive with ACS Springs

Avoid Eastern at all costs. My Dad has the engine warning light come on his car, went in to get it checked and after they checked it over, was told to come back in a week later for them to have a more detailed look. In that week the engine blew up (swirl flap related) and they just washed their hands of it saying he shouldn't have been driving it. Other friends of mine have had bad, but not as severe, experiences with Eastern including service guys taking 1M for a 50 mile 'test drive' or trying to pull fast ones in terms of work that they were saying needed doing but didn't. When these things were then raised with the management team they called them liars. They now all use Vardy's or Menzies in Stirling. I've used both and found them decent (apart from Vardy's cleaning the car bonnet with a sponge that had stones in it )
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2017, 10:22 AM   #20
CuriousYellow
Rep

Thanks for all your replies.

Just as I thought there's good bad bad experiences with most dealers( -at least that's what I'm telling myself about Eastern !o)

Car's been ordered and it's due at Eastern near the end of August. Keep your fingers crossed for me.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2017, 10:26 AM   #21
Grim
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:

Ignore me. Take your car from Eastern and never take it back. Turns out their bodyshop isn't technically owned by BMW, so when they fuck your repair up like they did mine, and your having to go back for a fourth time, like I am, BMW are entirely unable to assist - since technically BMW never fixed the car.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2017, 10:57 AM   #22
robbiep
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW e-Golf !

Quote:
Ignore me. Take your car from Eastern and never take it back. Turns out their bodyshop isn't technically owned by BMW, so when they fuck your repair up like they did mine, and your having to go back for a fourth time, like I am, BMW are entirely unable to assist - since technically BMW never fixed the car.
None of the bodyshops are owned by BMW. Just as none of the dealerships are owned by BMW.
Appreciate 0