F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Playing music..IPod or USB?
ARMA SPEED

02-02-2013, 04:06 PM   #1
BMdriver
Bus Media, Xenons, Spt Auto, Sun Pro Black Panel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 420i M Sport Coupe (Pro pack)

Playing music..IPod or USB?

How do you guys play their music collection? Do you copy it from I tunes to a USB drive ( I am assuming it is possible to do this) or do you plug in your I pod using a cable. If so, is it a y cable or something I need? I was wondering what was the most simplest way to do this as I would like to see the album art on the I drive screen. I have business Media if it makes a difference. I would imagine it would be easier just to leave a USB stick in the car all of the time, as connecting the I pod every time could end up being a pain if you want to take it with you when you leave the car. Your advise is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2013, 04:19 AM   #2
RobUK
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 340i MPPSK

Garage List
I have both an 80Gb iPod Classic and a 32Gb USB stick and have tried both (this is with the Pro Nav system).

Sound quality - I can't detect any difference between iPod and USB, but then I only have the standard audio setup so I couldn't say if the BMW or HK upgrades would expose any differences.

Interface - I don't have the BMW Mobile Apps so the iDrive interface for both USB stick and iPod is the same. Album artwork displays ok on the iDrive screen from both sources (all my music is fully ID3 tagged complete with album artwork).

Convenience - For me, USB wins hands down. Plug the stick in and forget it until such time as I may want to add more music or delete something I never listen to. I tend to use the iPod when out & about so it's easier to just have the USB stick always plugged in rather than having to plug/un-plug the iPod and fiddle with cables. Have toyed with getting a 64Gb USB stick as they're so cheap these days - reckon that would keep me going for months given how many tracks you can fit on

Life is a state of mind
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2013, 05:23 AM   #3
rich1068
has left the building
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport

USB for me.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2013, 10:26 AM   #4
Doc943
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 320d SE

Also USB
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2013, 11:46 AM   #5
Cilonen
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2021 Tesla M3, 2016 F11 530d

64Gb USB stick, with HK and no discernible difference between it and wife's ipod sound wise.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2013, 11:54 AM   #6
RamboGrambo
Rep
Drives: 2015 F30 335d xDrive M Sport

USB for me also.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2013, 01:42 PM   #7
BMdriver
Bus Media, Xenons, Spt Auto, Sun Pro Black Panel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 420i M Sport Coupe (Pro pack)

Thanks to all. I tried a USB stick today, and it works well. Definately better than leaving your ipod in the car. Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2013, 03:21 PM   #8
RichardM
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: G21 M340i LCI

In previous cars I've used an iPod classic but there isn't really room in the centre console for it so I bought a tiny 32GB memory stick to use. I have also copied some music to the hard disk. It also plays videos fine from the USB.

Has anyone else noticed the USB seems to forget the last track played? Mine often goes back to the first track on the stick which is a pain.

Last edited by RichardM; 02-06-2013 at 03:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2013, 04:51 AM   #9
sunscreemer
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320i xDrive M Sport Saloon

I didn't go for the BMP Apps either (long story!) but was hoping to use my iPod Classic permanently connected for music (isn't there a pouch for this on the underside of the armrest lid?). I then plan to connect my iPhone 5 via Bluetooth where as I understand i'll get Bluetooth office functionality. My A3 quattro had a pair of SD card slots, once of which I used for all of my old MP3 music - has the BMW not got an SD card slot? If not, assume i'll be able to use a USB adapter and "upload" the MP3 music into the hard drive (12GB hard drive i think??).
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2013, 05:07 AM   #10
kitster
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G31 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunscreemer View Post
I didn't go for the BMP Apps either (long story!) but was hoping to use my iPod Classic permanently connected for music (isn't there a pouch for this on the underside of the armrest lid?).
Yes, there is phone cradle (you need to buy the appropriate adapter) and USB port in the under the armrest, I connect an iPod to this usb port.

Quote:
I then plan to connect my iPhone 5 via Bluetooth where as I understand i'll get Bluetooth office functionality.
Correct, but IHMO the office app is slow and doesn't work that well. I also enable my iPhone for bluebooth audio so I can stream offline Spotify tracks. My understanding is if you plug in your iPhone to the USB it automatically disables the bluetooth audio in favour of the audio over USB.

Quote:
My A3 quattro had a pair of SD card slots, once of which I used for all of my old MP3 music - has the BMW not got an SD card slot?
No SD slot.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2013, 11:29 AM   #11
RobUK
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 340i MPPSK

Garage List
Quote:
has the BMW not got an SD card slot?
SD/USB adapter £1.89 on Amazon UK. Bargain (assuming it works)

Life is a state of mind
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2013, 03:25 PM   #12
RichardM
Colonel
England
Rep

Quote:
was hoping to use my iPod Classic permanently connected for music (isn't there a pouch for this on the underside of the armrest lid?).
No pouch in the F30. I forgot my e92 had one of those!
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2013, 05:36 AM   #13
sunscreemer
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks guys. I guess i'll have to wait and see for the final answer but the SD/USB adapter is probably a must - although if it's the armrest USB it needs to be attached to (glovebox USB just for system updates etc?) i'd rather have my iPod classic permanently attached there so will look to use the upload facility from the SD/USB. Will be disappointed if there's no convenient holder in the armrest to stop the iPod classic moving around though.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2013, 05:55 AM   #14
Captain Cow Pat
Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: VO F31 330d xDrive M Sport

Quote:
Will be disappointed if there's no convenient holder in the armrest to stop the iPod classic moving around though.
You could always use a colour co-ordinated elastic band around the armrest lid to hold the iPod, as there is nothing in the armrest to stop anything sliding about.
The only holder is for a phone, if you opt for it. So you'd have to put the music onto that.
      02-08-2013, 04:28 PM   #15
HiBee
Major
Rep
Drives: F90 Comp 2019. DG & Silverston

Or a bit blu tack
If Ipod is in compartment under the arm rest, from what i can remember when i had a test drive, it sat in there nicely, never heard it rattling about though.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2013, 04:35 AM   #16
RichardM
Colonel
England
Rep

There really isn't much room in the centre console. Yes the iPod will fit but you wouldn't be able to also access the phone cradle easily if you wanted to use one. This is the first car in which I've had to ditch the iPod classic idea.

Quote:
although if it's the armrest USB it needs to be attached to (glovebox USB just for system updates etc?)
With the new nav there is no USB socket in the glovebox now.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2013, 11:34 AM   #17
neil-c
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i M-sport xdrive

Ok so I have business advanced media pack, all my music on iTunes and a 64gb USB stick. Need an idiots guide how to move music from iTunes to stick, organised so its easy to navigate with artwork if possible. Anyone seen a thread suitable? Have tried search.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2013, 11:53 AM   #18
rich1068
has left the building
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport

Just copy/paste all the artist folders within your iTunes/Apple music folder.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2013, 11:14 AM   #19
derekh929
Major
Scotland
Rep
Drives: AMG C63s Coupe & F56 JCW

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich1068 View Post
Just copy/paste all the artist folders within your iTunes/Apple music folder.
What do you get on the screen with USB if you have no Nav or apps, does the artist info show and can you search, also when taking tracks onto usb pen drive whats the best way to get all info from itunes, thanks Derek
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2013, 02:31 AM   #20
jimboss
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E39 M5

My car is being delivered next Friday so not really familiar with the internal layout.....where do you plug in the USB stick? is it in the armrest compartment? I've got the pro media. If using the USB will it also handle play lists ie set up sub directories on the USB stick?

If i decided to use my ipod classic do i need a special cable...BMW hints that a particular cable will be required.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2013, 03:42 AM   #21
sunscreemer
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboss View Post
My car is being delivered next Friday so not really familiar with the internal layout.....where do you plug in the USB stick? is it in the armrest compartment? I've got the pro media. If using the USB will it also handle play lists ie set up sub directories on the USB stick?

If i decided to use my ipod classic do i need a special cable...BMW hints that a particular cable will be required.
Special cable (y-cable) cheap on ebay / Amazon which is I think what you're referring to and think this is just for some (older?) ipod's that didn't support audio out. From advice i've seen it's to try the standard Apple cable with the ipod first. Been told the USB does plug into arm-rest and also not sure if there's one in the glove box any more, so maybe software updates etc all done using the arm rest USB.

Like you i'll be fiddling about next Friday to get everything working!
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2013, 10:24 AM   #22
Johnny5iv3
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 320i MSport EBII

Sorry to hijack the thread...

I'm expecting my F30 in the next few weeks, just want to know if using USB, does the song titles show up on the iDrive or do I need to edit the mp3 ID3 tags first?
Appreciate 0