F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Sport Line 335i... xdrive or rwd? Paired with a 6 speed manual.
Studio RSR

03-18-2013, 11:14 PM   #45
drob23
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: S4

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisny View Post
No, it doesn't... Sits 10mm higher than sport suspension. Adaptive gives you the active and adjustable dampers though, and still handles very well.

check here
http://www.bimmerfest.com/news/63948...r-ride-height/
Thanks for the source. It is great that you can get the adaptive sport setting on the xdrive, really helps reclaim the sportyness when on the stiff setting. I would say this option is a *must* if you plan on some spirited driving.
      03-18-2013, 11:21 PM   #46
drob23
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by walile View Post
I remember reading somewhere that xDrive sits 1cm higher than RWD when both are equipped with M adaptive suspension with the M Sport.

One critical consideration in deciding between AWD and RWD is the lack of LSD with the RWD cars. For me, AWD with the extra traction is actually the sportier of the two.

Also keep in mind that while some all season tires have gotten pretty good these days even in snow, the all season run flats that came with the car is probably not the best all season for snowy conditions.
Neither car comes with a limited slip differential. An AWD car will need to handle a track differently, as putting power to the front wheels will cause the vehicle to understeer due to lower tractive force available for turning. I've read that BMW has attempted to reduce this effect by biasing the torque split more rear, but then you might as well go RWD.

With all things equal, RWD is the sportier of the 2, but they're both great sport sedans.
      03-19-2013, 12:08 PM   #47
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by drob23
With all things equal, RWD is the sportier of the 2, but they're both great sport sedans.
Exactly.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2013, 05:51 AM   #48
walile
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by drob23 View Post
Neither car comes with a limited slip differential. An AWD car will need to handle a track differently, as putting power to the front wheels will cause the vehicle to understeer due to lower tractive force available for turning. I've read that BMW has attempted to reduce this effect by biasing the torque split more rear, but then you might as well go RWD.

We have different definition of "sporty" I suppose. Generally I do favor a traditional rwd layout with a LSD to help put down power on corner exit. With no power going to the front axle, the steering feel in theory is also more pure and undiluted.

In the case of 335i, I would gladly opt for xDriver. It's actually faster 0-60 by 0.3 seconds per BMW. That's sportier to me.

But then again, I am also a fan of the GTR, which many people consider to have "no soul". I also live somewhere with lots of snow, so perhaps I am biased.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2013, 10:27 AM   #49
drob23
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by walile View Post
In the case of 335i, I would gladly opt for xDriver. It's actually faster 0-60 by 0.3 seconds per BMW. That's sportier to me.

But then again, I am also a fan of the GTR, which many people consider to have "no soul". I also live somewhere with lots of snow, so perhaps I am biased.
A car with AWD will always be faster 0-60 with the additional grip. The more interesting metric is 1/4 mile trap speed, which is greater for the 335i than 335ix. A WRX STI is incredibly quick off the line (4.5 sec I think) but traps much slower. In a race situation you will never be stopped let alone slower than ~20 mph, so grip really isn't that important. When the 335ix reaches about 60 mph, my understanding is the torque split is 0/100 (F/R). The additional weight coupled with added drivetrain loss will make the 335ix slower. There's a reason 335 track times from car mags are taken without xdrive, mainly because it will be slower and BMW has no incentive to advertise this.

I agree that the GT-R is a fantastic race car, but you must understand how complex the AWD system is. For one, the system is developed in house and designed/tuned *specifically* for this chassis, which means a lot for the control systems used on the center diff and active rear differential. The front axle also has a torsen LSD if I'm not mistaken. Nissan has been producing this AWD vehicle for a really long time, and I imagine it is race tested in various Le Mans classes etc.

I also live in snow country and likewise went with AWD.
      03-20-2013, 10:58 AM   #50
walile
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by drob23 View Post
A car with AWD will always be faster 0-60 with the additional grip. The more interesting metric is 1/4 mile trap speed, which is greater for the 335i than 335ix. A WRX STI is incredibly quick off the line (4.5 sec I think) but traps much slower. In a race situation you will never be stopped let alone slower than ~20 mph, so grip really isn't that important. When the 335ix reaches about 60 mph, my understanding is the torque split is 0/100 (F/R). The additional weight coupled with added drivetrain loss will make the 335ix slower. There's a reason 335 track times from car mags are taken without xdrive, mainly because it will be slower and BMW has no incentive to advertise this.

I agree that the GT-R is a fantastic race car, but you must understand how complex the AWD system is. For one, the system is developed in house and designed/tuned *specifically* for this chassis, which means a lot for the control systems used on the center diff and active rear differential. The front axle also has a torsen LSD if I'm not mistaken. Nissan has been producing this AWD vehicle for a really long time, and I imagine it is race tested in various Le Mans classes etc.

I also live in snow country and likewise went with AWD.
AWD definitely suffers in terms of fuel economy and more drivetrain loss. Despite that, AWD is not necessarily slower around a track. While it may not enter a corner faster than RWD, it can start accelerate out of the corner sooner.

The main advantage of AWD is the additional traction which I benefit not only in bad weather, but also in the dry. It allows me to leave the line quickly without my tires screeching and begging for mercy. Sadly 95% of my driving is in the city.

This is getting OT, but the GTR AWD system is not conceptually all that special. Computer controlled center diff coupled with torque vectoring rear diff can be found in the Lancer Evo and Acura/Honda SH-AWD. Except that these system don't default to have 100% rear bias.

What is really interesting is the use of a transaxle. This helps with the weight distribution of the car, but also necessitates having a long second drive shaft going from the rear transaxle to the front axle. This can cause a bit of a problem with packaging.

Packaging is also the reason why F30 xDrive M Sport sits higher than the RWD. Mercedes also has packaging issues and cannot offer 4matic on some models with RHD.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2015, 01:24 PM   #51
charagar
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 5 Series

Practical Experience of RWD vs AWD

After years of city driving (Toronto) with RWD and Winter tires, I had to move to AWD and even on all season tires, all those scary years are behind me. I have had a few accidents with RWD and winter tires.

I am not saying anything, just a practical example and experience. AWD comes with some driving compromise but it's worth it if your BMW is your year around vehicle in GTA.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2015, 03:25 PM   #52
boss2k
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

On a 335 RWD can someone please explain me the difference between e Dynamic Handling Package ( Adaptive M Suspension) and M sport Suspension . Is the M sports suspension lower than adaptive suspension ? In adaptive suspension do you get to choose between different styles of suspension like sport, economy etc

How is the manual transmission and clutch on the 335 , is it like M cars and better than previous generations. Is the stock shifter throws short?
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2015, 09:12 AM   #53
Musashi
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i XDrive Laguna Seca

Quote:
Originally Posted by boss2k View Post
On a 335 RWD can someone please explain me the difference between e Dynamic Handling Package ( Adaptive M Suspension) and M sport Suspension . Is the M sports suspension lower than adaptive suspension ? In adaptive suspension do you get to choose between different styles of suspension like sport, economy etc

How is the manual transmission and clutch on the 335 , is it like M cars and better than previous generations. Is the stock shifter throws short?
Anything with M in the BMW nomenclature is an upgrade. So any M beats any 'base.' In terms of options, M Sport Suspension is generally found as base on the M series. The M Sport F30 ocasionally gets an M Sport (or just sport) lowering suspension.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=634795

Adaptive M is the superior, pricier upgrade, that incorporates the electronic dampening to a sport setting, as well as a comfort setting, and also lowers the car. In addiiton, it is further adjustable via software (e.g. Dinan's).

Both Adaptive M and M Sport are stiffer and sportier than any base suspension. Adaptive M is not only better/more flexible, but those that got M Sport type really regretted not getting it later when going over less than perfect roads and every bump could be felt in the teeth. Goes the same on the M3/M4, adaptive M is like a 1000$ option, far cheaper than an aftermarket install. But the ride comfort changes dramatically when in Comfort mode.
Appreciate 0