F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > 3 and 4 Series Ordering / Pricing / Order Tracking Forum (and European Delivery) > European Delivery - Must drive/see roads in April?
GetBMWParts

02-16-2016, 12:30 PM   #1
popngear
Rep
Drives: 02 Honda S2000

European Delivery - Must drive/see roads in April?

Hi,

I'm doing a European delivery coming up in mid-April and was looking to tap into peoples experience with where to drive and what to see especially considering the time of year. I've looked up a lot already but they tend to be mountain passes, which unfortunately will be closed when I arrive. I'm looking for any and all suggestions (neighboring countries to Germany included) of where to drive! I have anywhere from 10-14 days in Europe. I should also confess that though I am still a happy BMW owner, this is for the delivery of a '17 Cayman GT4

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2016, 01:25 PM   #2
Rick4345
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 WRX World Rally Blue

Garage List
Drive

Have you considered going towards Austria?

I've always liked going towards Garmisch and Oberammergau. It's a little touristy, but still nice. If you want to stick kind of close to Munich, there is a small town called Bad Tolz. It's beautiful. I'm kind of partial to Bavaria, but I also lived in Berlin for four years. Lot's of history to see no matter where you go. To me, you need to get out of the big cities to really see the country.

Safe travels. Nothing wrong with a Cayman at all.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2016, 01:51 PM   #3
popngear
Rep

Is Austria Pilot Sport Cup 2 friendly in April?
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2016, 06:36 PM   #4
popngear
Rep

What are would have the driest weather and funnest roads? The only places that I'm set on going to right now are Frankfurt (arrival/departure), Leipzig (vehicle pickup), Nurburg, Munich, and Stuttgart. Any routes in between that are fun would be highly appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2016, 08:35 PM   #5
jmschnur
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i

Provence and Northern Italy are nice drives. One or the other. Do not try to do too much. Go to B&bs with parking and take taxis into cities.
We once picked up a car went through Switzerland to France and then south to Avignon and surroundings. Once off the Autostrade take the back roads. lots of good wine and nice drives.

Or go south through Austria and into Bolzano and points south through Bologna, Florence, then back north through to Chioggia (overnight there ) take boat to Venice and then back to Munich. Beautiful drives between Bolzano , Bologna, and Parma.

However, the weather in April is very changeable.

I missed where you were picking up the car. Still getting to the south is your best bet.
Enjoy!
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2016, 03:33 AM   #6
popngear
Rep

I'll be picking up the car from the Leipzig factory. After doing some preliminary research (mostly due to weather), I was thinking of headed westward first

Leipzig
Nurburg
Troyes (on way to south of France)
Marseilles (go along the Riviera)
C'ote Dazur/Cannes/Nice ?
Drive Route de Gentelly and/or Route Napoleon perhaps
Find way back up north and eventually Black Forest
Stuttgart (drop car off)
Train to Frankfurt
Seattle :|

It looks like there are some decent drives in France, but anything alpine I'm guessing is either closed or a no-go for a RWD car and Summer tires.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2016, 03:12 PM   #7
MaxDaniels
Belgium
Rep
Drives: F30 330e + E46 320d touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by popngear View Post
Troyes (on way to south of France)
Marseilles (go along the Riviera)
Troyes is near to Paris, not Marseille. Troyes is perhaps a nice city, but the road between is just basic "highway", limited to 130km/h, with a lot of automatic radars and not free !

You can check this road : Grenoble -> Gap ( via "Veynes", not "LaMure" ! ) -> Marseille if you wants lots of turns, mountains and amazing views.

Also the road "Chambery/Grenoble -> Turin ( Torino )" without taking the "tunnel du Fréjus" is amazing ( lakes, turns, marmots !, nobody, small towns, etc. )
Appreciate 0