F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Need some advice 335d vs 640d

02-21-2015, 04:53 PM   #45
alarustic
Private
Rep
Drives: 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Car Chris View Post
No love for the 5 series, superb car!?
Too close to it being replaced is the reason I didn't really consider it. Seeing a newer model on the road would make me feel the need to change. Plus with toys it was too expensive new compared to the F30 I went with. At the limit of my budget as it is.

Must try to keep the new car for a couple of years. We'll see how that goes!
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2015, 04:56 PM   #46
alarustic
Private
Rep
Drives: 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ss66 View Post
Just changed up from my 2014 330d msport to the 335d on order for next month, more than happy with my decision after test driving the 335d
Was the 335d noticably faster than the 330d?
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2015, 04:57 PM   #47
riz211
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F30 330d

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoShirtsNoShoes View Post
OK, I've not posted here a lot but have spent a lot of time reading, I hope you'll be able to help with this...

I've got two options:

Brand new 335d M-Sport, 37k currently on order
- plus pack, visibility pack, few other small extras

or

9 month old 640d M-Sport, 39k, 5k miles
- also with plus pack, some other really nice bits

The 6 has lost nearly 50% of its value in 9 months, which makes it a relative bargain. I realise no-one would have paid the full price but don't let the facts get in the way of the man maths! I never expected it would be available in this price range, which is why I'm faced with this dilemma.

My concern is will the 6 start to retain some value or will it continue to tank? Or should I play it safer and stick with the 3?
How about.. http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/b...led-2015-02-12
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2015, 10:24 PM   #48
Ss66
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F32 440i

330d always struggled to put power down at the rears .......335d no probs more than happy
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2015, 03:53 AM   #49
Brigand
Banned
England
Rep
Drives: 330dx F31 EBII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ss66 View Post
330d always struggled to put power down at the rears .......335d no probs more than happy
Never noticed any problem with my 330d not putting power down.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2015, 04:32 AM   #50
TheLiverBird
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 435D M-Sport EBII

Think the point being missed by some is the fact that the 35D has XDrive as standard, the 30D can have either s or XDrive. The XDrives superior grip in some situations might give it better traction off the line, but has extra weight to somewhat offset this.

I suspect, but have no personal experience for this (only driven 120D SDrive and 435D XDrive) that when both are equally specced (model, drive, transmission etc.) both the 30D and 35D are both very rapid - faster than most of us would ever use on most occasions in everyday driving, legally on the roads. My 245BHP A5 was plenty fast enough for everyday driving.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2015, 05:27 AM   #51
Brigand
Banned
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLiverBird View Post
Think the point being missed by some is the fact that the 35D has XDrive as standard, the 30D can have either s or XDrive. The XDrives superior grip in some situations might give it better traction off the line, but has extra weight to somewhat offset this.

I suspect, but have no personal experience for this (only driven 120D SDrive and 435D XDrive) that when both are equally specced (model, drive, transmission etc.) both the 30D and 35D are both very rapid - faster than most of us would ever use on most occasions in everyday driving, legally on the roads. My 245BHP A5 was plenty fast enough for everyday driving.

Pretty much anything these days is fast enough, look at number of Fast Hatches knocking around. If someone is looking for a fast car.

The Xdrive bit is not just the off the line stuff, but also pretty much any bend, corner, roundabout road condition etc.

I know in the 330d the weight is not really noticeable.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2015, 05:38 AM   #52
TheLiverBird
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 435D M-Sport EBII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigand View Post
The Xdrive bit is not just the off the line stuff, but also pretty much any bend, corner, roundabout road condition etc.
XDrive (or similar) was my main "have to have" on my new car. Audi Quattro and XDrive, in my experience, make driving that little bit more safe (although a little less exciting it could be argued), but with a young family, I want, and need, to know that if I do push on, I'm not likely to end up facing the wrong way, or wrapped around a tree!

I personally love 4 wheel drive on sportier cars (not just SUV etc.) and can quite happily live with any associated downsides (weight, ride height (funny how Audi can cope with sportier suspension with Quattro though!)) for the benefits.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2015, 06:07 AM   #53
Pablo68
Left the building
Wales
Rep
Drives: Not a diesel.

Quote:
XDrive (or similar) was my main "have to have" on my new car. Audi Quattro and XDrive, in my experience, make driving that little bit more safe (although a little less exciting it could be argued), but with a young family, I want, and need, to know that if I do push on, I'm not likely to end up facing the wrong way, or wrapped around a tree!

I personally love 4 wheel drive on sportier cars (not just SUV etc.) and can quite happily live with any associated downsides (weight, ride height (funny how Audi can cope with sportier suspension with Quattro though!)) for the benefits.
xDrive won't prevent stuffage at all if you overcome the laws of physics (lateral grip) in a bend. And once you have overcooked it you'll probably be going much faster at the point of "off" because with a modern torque vectoring system (such as xDrive) it will grip and grip then let go all of a sudden rather than the more progressive balancing act one gets with a RWD (or FWD) car....AWD can be much harder to predict and you'd best have bloody good reactions when it does go. I've seen (and had) some very entertaining "offs" in AWD vehicles when people push them hard on the rally circuit.

Also please for the love of god don't fall for the marketing ploy that AWD means you can stop quicker in shitty conditions.

Not a dig at you but if AWD means marketeers can sell some snake oil and it makes people feel happy as they drive down the M25 in some light rain then who am I to judge?
Appreciate 1
      02-22-2015, 06:09 AM   #54
chetalien
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 330xd

Quote:

Agree- was very much into RWD until kids came along and a little spin on icy conditions, didn't want to risk it.
Enjoying my xdrive- can push on a little more now.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2015, 06:15 AM   #55
335dJa
Captain
Rep
Drives: Yes

Phew, I thought for a little while this wasn't going to turn into an xdrive/sdrive debate. Universal balance has now been restored
Appreciate 1
      02-22-2015, 06:16 AM   #56
Brigand
Banned
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo68 View Post
xDrive won't prevent stuffage at all if you overcome the laws of physics (lateral grip) in a bend. And once you have overcooked it you'll probably be going much faster at the point of "off" because with a modern torque vectoring system (such as xDrive) it will grip and grip then let go all of a sudden rather than the more progressive balancing act one gets with a RWD (or FWD) car....AWD can be much harder to predict and you'd best have bloody good reactions when it does go. I've seen (and had) some very entertaining "offs" in AWD vehicles when people push them hard on the rally circuit.

Also please for the love of god don't fall for the marketing ploy that AWD means you can stop quicker in shitty conditions.

Not a dig at you but if AWD means marketeers can sell some snake oil and it makes people feel happy as they drive down the M25 in some light rain then who am I to judge?

Lol I had an interesting one on wet n greasy roundabout last week.

Took it too fast and the car sort of did its own thing without any warning.

I drove home sheepishly lol
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2015, 06:51 AM   #57
dopper99
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 CP

Quote:
Even in an sdrive, probably wouldnt happen provided you leave the traction aids on. The sdrive isnt a "dangerous" car and you'd have to be doing loopy speeds to end up in a ditch.

The thing I like about my xdrive is pulling off from the lights/roundabouts etc from a standstill in the pouring rain. Will beat any 2WD car for sure regardless of make.
      02-23-2015, 03:23 PM   #58
DB118D
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 118d Sport

Peter Vardy in Edinburgh are advertising a 640d M Sport Coupe or Gran Coupe at 548 per month with 5k down

21k and 22k dealer contributions
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2015, 03:39 PM   #59
Proftinkerpot
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335d M Sport -Superman

Quote:
Originally Posted by DB118D View Post
Peter Vardy in Edinburgh are advertising a 640d M Sport Coupe or Gran Coupe at 548 per month with 5k down

That would be a lot of car for the money to buy at the end of the pcp and just drive on.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2015, 03:44 PM   #60
DB118D
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 118d Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proftinkerpot View Post
That would be a lot of car for the money to buy at the end of the pcp and just drive on.
No idea what the GFV's are from memory. But the contributions are huge
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2015, 03:47 PM   #61
edz_f06
Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: F06 640d MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by DB118D View Post

Wowsers! Is this deal due to the revisions coming out later in 2015?