F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > M Performance brakes coding
GetBMWParts

10-31-2012, 01:21 PM   #1
shutterlife
Private
Rep
Drives: F30 M Sport AW

M Performance brakes coding

Really wanting to install these myself, but read the following coding is required.

"A DSC retrofit encoding must be performed via ISTA/P after installation of the BMW M Performance sports brake system."

Anyone know how to do this or what is required. I'm a very competent mechanic, and have no problem doing it myself.

Just need help with the coding.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2012, 01:59 PM   #2
ilhan1103
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: f30 318 2012

Garage List
2012 318D  [0.00]
Check this one for help on the coding

http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=696777
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2012, 07:41 AM   #3
chlemaire
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i M-Sport Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutterlife View Post
Really wanting to install these myself, but read the following coding is required.

"A DSC retrofit encoding must be performed via ISTA/P after installation of the BMW M Performance sports brake system."

Anyone know how to do this or what is required. I'm a very competent mechanic, and have no problem doing it myself.

Just need help with the coding.

Thanks
Hi Shutterlife,

Did you end up installing these M-Performance brakes? If yes, can you please comment candidly on your assessment of the braking performance gain, if any, and on the brake pedal feel?
I had these installed, and despite two re-servicing at the dealer, I am hugely disappointed in the pedal feel (soft and spongy) and the braking performance (no noticeable improvement, perhaps even a degradation).
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2012, 12:06 PM   #4
shutterlife
Private
Rep

Nope, not installed yet. Still wondering how I'm going to do the dsc coding.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2013, 12:44 AM   #5
simonchs
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: BMW F20 LCI2 120i

I've installed the M performance brake without DSC retrofit encoding, so far don't have noticeable problem.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2013, 04:05 PM   #6
Yobyot
Major
Rep
Drives: MY19 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonchs View Post
I've installed the M performance brake without DSC retrofit encoding, so far don't have noticeable problem.
But if BMW says the car must be coded, if could only mean one of two things. First, to VO must be updated to indicate that the feature has been added to the car. Or, it may mean that some ECU somewhere needs to know what kind of brakes are installed in order to function. It could conceivably be the ABS or even DSC/DTC systems.

Even the battery in these cars has to be coded. If you stick in a new battery and the car thinks the old one is installed, it overcharges and eventually fries the new battery.

Bottom line: if BMW says the car has to be coded, it has to be coded.
Produced: 2018-08-15; Delivered 2018-08-22
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2013, 09:20 PM   #7
ykau
Private
Rep
Drives: F30 320I

hi shutterlife, did you installed the bbk with encoding?

A DSC retrofit encoding must be performed via ISTA/P after installation of the BMW M Performance sports brake system
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2013, 10:42 PM   #8
shutterlife
Private
Rep

Nope not installed. Haven't event bought yet. Waiting to figure out the coding first.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2013, 11:57 PM   #9
kon
Lieutenant
Singapore
Rep
Drives: F30 310i > G20 310i

coding part:

http://www.f30post.com/forums/showth...A#post13265538

the vehicle was coded by dealer, but try at your own risk
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2013, 03:11 AM   #10
ykau
Private
Rep

hi kon, thanks again! Just ordered my mperformance brake kit. waiting for arrival.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2013, 03:26 AM   #11
kon
Lieutenant
Singapore
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ykau View Post
hi kon, thanks again! Just ordered my mperformance brake kit. waiting for arrival.
Parallel import? Otherwise the dealer would code for you as part of installation, right?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2013, 03:32 AM   #12
ykau
Private
Rep

Parallel Import from getbmwparts.com.

btw, is adding VO 2NH should be the same as adding HO-Wort = SPBR ? HO-Wort is something new to me
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2013, 03:36 AM   #13
kon
Lieutenant
Singapore
Rep

Quote:
Parallel Import from getbmwparts.com.

btw, is adding VO 2NH should be the same as adding HO-Wort = SPBR ? HO-Wort is something new to me
If me, I will stick with SPBR. Theoretically, they are the same as 2NH, except M-Performance brake is not a factory option, only M-Sport Brake is.

K word, as I understand it is no diff from VO coding, so after adding the k-word, save the FA into the vehicle, and remember to code the relevant ECU, in this case, just DSC?

My initial research on BMW brakes indicate some market do get different rotor size between M-sport & M-performance brake, but I'm not sure if they are still the same. But at least cosmetically, we know M-perf brake is slotted & dimple drilled, but none in M-sports, again, I'm not sure.... just purely based on what I read, haven't had the chance to see the real thing in close detail yet.

And..... good luck on your parallel import coz I HEARD 320 m-performance brake is different from 328/335 which is what US is selling, I cannot remember exactly what is the difference though
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2013, 03:42 AM   #14
ykau
Private
Rep

HI Kon , thanks for the explanation. Base on your past experience, iF I would leave the setting as it is,without coding, will there be any difference or impact to safty ?

we have checked the vin number , seem ok. If anything happened, will keep up update.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kon View Post
If me, I will stick with SPBR. Theoretically, they are the same as 2NH, except M-Performance brake is not a factory option, only M-Sport Brake is.

K word, as I understand it is no diff from VO coding, so after adding the k-word, save the FA into the vehicle, and remember to code the relevant ECU, in this case, just DSC?

My initial research on BMW brakes indicate some market do get different rotor size between M-sport & M-performance brake, but I'm not sure if they are still the same. But at least cosmetically, we know M-perf brake is slotted & dimple drilled, but none in M-sports, again, I'm not sure.... just purely based on what I read, haven't had the chance to see the real thing in close detail yet.

And..... good luck on your parallel import coz I HEARD 320 m-performance brake is different from 328/335 which is what US is selling, I cannot remember exactly what is the difference though
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2013, 05:27 AM   #15
clarence
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 328i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by kon View Post

Only option 2NH can be called "M-sport brakes". Cars with M-sport package but without 2NH (i.e. all US-spec M-sports) does not have "M-sport brakes", they only have standard brakes (i.e. identical to other lines with the same engine).
Option 2NH for 328i & above are identical to "M-performance brakes", save for the disc surface. Option 2NH for 320i/d & below have smaller front rotors & calipers as "M-performance brakes" (in fact they're identical to the standard front brakes on the 335i but with blue calipers). The rears are identical on all models. The "M-performance brakes", AFAIK, can be fitted to 320i/d & below.
The source of confusion re brakes is due mainly to US posters with M-sports who call their brakes "M-sport brakes" even tho 2NH is not available there, hence they only have standard brakes (only difference is the pads on US M-sports are same as standard EU-spec pads).
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2013, 05:31 AM   #16
clarence
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
iF I would leave the setting as it is,without coding, will there be any difference or impact to safty ?
U won't feel anything if the car is driven under normal circumstances, but it'll be risky once the going gets tough.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2013, 07:23 AM   #17
ykau
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarence View Post
U won't feel anything if the car is driven under normal circumstances, but it'll be risky once the going gets tough.
Hi, any facts? thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2013, 07:39 AM   #18
kon
Lieutenant
Singapore
Rep

Quote:
Hi, any facts? thanks
BMW says coding is required, car is yours, life is yours... you decide

and you know what would be really cool? add-in the K word, but don't code anything... send the car in to the dealer for software upgrade (there seems to be a FEM recall going on now)... and let them code for you

Based on feedback that I receive from some guys, if we does VO code, and send the car in, after the dealer reprogram the car, whatever VO coding we did before, stays!

Make sure you save a copy of the DSC ecu settings, and check again when you get your car back, see if any of the DSC settings changed

... or maybe see if anyone done their own retrofitting, send the car back to the service centre for regular service/update, would the service centre inform you that the brake is not coded and insist on charging you to code it

and sorry to SHUTTERFLY if we've "chat" too much in your thread

Last edited by kon; 01-18-2013 at 07:48 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2013, 08:54 AM   #19
ykau
Private
Rep

hi Kon, so to summaries, for M performance Brake coding , it is sufficient by only adding HO-Wort = SPBR will do?

lol. I guess Shutterfly wouldn't mind because we are talking about coding here.
again, how many time must i say thanks to kon , but thanks again. you are the man!!
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2013, 10:46 AM   #20
clarence
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Hi, any facts? thanks
I think it's more common sense cos the effectiveness of active safety systems such as ABS & DSC depend on the performance of the brakes. The calibration of those systems from the factory are based on standard brakes & hence if u fit M-performance brakes the settings have to be changed.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2013, 01:41 PM   #21
simonchs
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: BMW F20 LCI2 120i

i've added SPBR to HO-Wort and CODE the DSC module, and found significant differences when step down the brake pedal. feel more firm on the brake pedal.

and when i check the accessory of the ETK, they called M performance brake as Sport brake retrofit kit, so i believe SPBR is the correct retrofit coding for F20/F30 M performance brake
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2013, 06:01 PM   #22
kon
Lieutenant
Singapore
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonchs View Post
i've added SPBR to HO-Wort and CODE the DSC module, and found significant differences when step down the brake pedal. feel more firm on the brake pedal.

and when i check the accessory of the ETK, they called M performance brake as Sport brake retrofit kit, so i believe SPBR is the correct retrofit coding for F20/F30 M performance brake
great!
Appreciate 0