F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > CA called me to interrogate my about my survey
ARMA SPEED

06-09-2015, 01:45 PM   #45
smithf80
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 6MT

Garage List
2022 G20 330i  [9.00]
2018 F80 M3  [9.75]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 335BOY View Post
good call. Life is about relationships and getting along. The golden rule.
Yup, you hook them up, they hook you up. Everyone is happy.
      06-09-2015, 02:37 PM   #46
sr5959
Captain
Rep
Drives: 428GC M-Sport

Do they get dinged if you just don't respond to the survey? I forget most of the time on these.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2015, 03:21 PM   #47
ronanz
Gettin It Figured Out
United_States
Rep
Drives: 435i FBO PS2 bm3 w/ options

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronanz View Post
Anything less than a perfect score is a fail. We're not "entitled" to any deal or discounts so whatever deal you managed or received is the one you get, if you're being "hooked up" then you should always return the favor on their survey.

However, if the CA did not specifically state the importance of a PERFECT score, then they have to deal with the one they got.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion4 View Post
s

So Bribery and lying as acceptable!
*is

My Build Thread can be found HERE
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2015, 03:42 PM   #48
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbydigital View Post
I recently filled out a BMW customer satisfaction survey sent to me over email.

During my close of the car, my CA mentioned to me quite a few times that he needed high survey scores. No problem to me, I was pretty satisfied across the board. He also said explicit "if you leave me a good review on yelp, I'll get you a gift from the accessories shop when you come in next".

Survey came and I gave my CA almost all high marks. Dinged him on a few questions with legit answers to questions like these: "Did your CA schedule a BMW encore appointment before you left?"

I also answered less than stellar on the question about the time it took me to walk in and finish paperwork. Answer choices were time ranges with the best being "30 mins or less". There is no way I was done in 30 mins, I was in the waiting room for 30 mins before I even got to see the car!

In the end, I was very fair and actually gave him slightly higher marks than I otherwise would have. Hey, he gave me a great deal so I'll boost my answers a bit.

A few days later, I get a call *on the weekend* when I'm with my family. Caller ID shows its my CA. I answer the phone no idea why he's calling (I didn't link it to the survey at all).

He proceeds to ask me why I filled my survey out like I did, then said 90% rating wasn't "good" and:

- he is "basically losing money on the sale now"
- he is "losing $500 due to an imperfect score"

At first I'm sympathetic telling him I gave him high marks but truthfully answered the questions. I also said I didn't think all the questions applied to him because some of them were about finance paperwork and how in the world he could be responsible for that.

He proceeds to tell me his boss asked him "what's happened with _____? His survey came in low on you".

We were on the phone for probably ten minutes and I got increasingly frustrated and eventually said "it's awkward and out of place you're calling me on a weekend. In fact, you shouldn't even be calling me at all with this".

Even better he goes on to say that "he doesn't really feel good about getting me an accessory anymore" and "but if I want it still, a deal is a deal".

Up until this point I was actually very happy with my experience. However after this, I'm totally soured on it and in fact I'm angry.

Anyone else have a crazy post survey follow up like this?

(I'm intentionally not mentioning the dealer or the CA. I don't want this to be a personal attack on the person or dealership)
The customer feedback surveys are ridiculous. As far as the dealer and the auto manufacturers are concerned (BMW isn't the only one like this) you either did great, or you did awful. So giving him a 90% is essentially giving him a 0%. It's unfair and ridiculous. It's gotten to the point where I just give perfect scores unless they are truly awful.

Not really fair to them that their pay check is tied to such a strict system. If someone forgets one item that, in the grand scheme of things, isn't a big deal, that shouldn't mean that their paycheck takes a big hit.

Plus, giving all perfect reviews (I typically will write comments praising their service too) will result in you getting excellent service whenever you come in. I always get great service whenever I bring my car in for service or warranty repairs.

If you make it beneficial for them, they'll go out of their way to make it beneficial for you since an SA's pay is also tied to those surveys.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2015, 04:42 PM   #49
bobbydigital
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BWM 435GC

I'm all about mutual benefit. The shitty thing is just that I wish I had known about the pass/fail nature of this process. If I had known, I would have given all 10s.

Unfortunately it's too late now to correct anything.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2015, 05:14 PM   #50
bavarianride
Major General
Rep
Drives: bimmer

My usual approach for similar situation is to inform the caller that the survey was as objective as needed and will bring/refer business for upcoming deals if appropriate(and it is obvious from survey if that will happen) and hang up.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2015, 05:27 PM   #51
bobbydigital
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Unbelievably, BMW NA has just contacted me over email to followup on telephone about "my recent survey answers".
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2015, 06:23 PM   #52
Sharp_Cai
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X4MC

I would be mad too if my CA calls me for the survey scores. On the other hand, OP might took too serious when filling out the survey.
      06-09-2015, 06:38 PM   #53
LMK5
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 330i Imperial Bloo

I really want to give my SA a top score, but it seems he almost goes out of his way to prevent it. The last time I was in, the front mats needed to be replaced under warranty. he told me they were on national back order and he'd get back to me when they were in. After almost 2 months I called back to check on them, and the dealer told me they were there the day after the original request! National back order my a*s. When I asked my SA about not being notified, he blamed it on the parts department. And yes, believe it or not, he did ask me to give him all 10's on the survey.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2015, 06:41 PM   #54
bobbydigital
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp_Cai
I would be mad too if my CA calls me for the survey scores. On the other hand, OP might took too serious when filling out the survey.
I actually didn't take it *that* seriously. I honestly have the guy all 9 and 10s.

One specific question on time from arrival to finishing paperwork had these options:

Less than 30 mins
30 mins to 1.5 hours
1.5 to 2 hours
More than 2 hours

I was literally at the dealership for 1.5 hours so chose the second choice.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2015, 06:46 PM   #55
BXL4
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by ft1330
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_phew View Post
That survey isn't meant to be answered truthfully, it's meant to be used as leverage, since it has such a HUGE impact on the dealership and your CA.

i.e.: "Hey Mr. CA, can you get me an M3 at ED invoice price, with PCD re-delivery, and help me extend my current lease while I wait for re-delivery?"

-CA: "I dunno, that's asking a lot"

-Me: "Hook me up, and I promise 10s across the board on the survey, no matter what"

-CA: "Deal!"

I want a deal, not to be pampered while I sign paperwork.
No Surveys on ED.
I got one on my 2015 328i ED.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2015, 07:13 PM   #56
Kabrich
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 AH3 (335IH) 3F93 MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxjecxxx View Post
You did the right thing by giving honest scores. He was out of line by calling you about the survey. I would speak to his boss. It's basically harassment. What did he expect you to do after you already filled out the survey?

We have surveys at my job also and one thing that is communicated since day one is

"DO NOT: Call or contact customers who have not requested to be contacted. It is against the law."

This is in FL, not sure if it applies in CA.
Actually that is not true. According to current telephone regulation

1) Surveys are exempt even on Do Not Call listed Numbers

2) If you have done business with a Company, they are authorized to call you, even if you are listed in the Do Not Call registry.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2015, 07:40 PM   #57
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by agent0986 View Post
Nobody can make it out in less than 30 minutes even if things go very smoothly during a delivery.
My last 3 US deliveries in and out in 30 minutes. deal was pre-negotiated over email, contract was identical to agreement upon deal, no additional things were mentioned by finance person, car was ready with free swag

I didn't even set foot in a dealer for my F80 euro delivery purchase
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2015, 08:24 PM   #58
crono06
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i and 2018 X3

Quote:
I'm all about mutual benefit. The shitty thing is just that I wish I had known about the pass/fail nature of this process. If I had known, I would have given all 10s.

This is how I feel as well. I tend to give very high scores for my service visits (I don't think I gave all perfect, but probably something like 90-95%).

At no time did anybody ever tell me that I needed to give all 100% in order for them to get a better rating for the dealership. If they had told me, I honestly would have done so. They've been very helpful to me and I plan on being a long time customer at this particular dealership. The only time they had requested all perfect scores was for the delivery of my car (which I think I did).

I've worked retail in my younger years (big box and at a big bank) and it was never expected to get 100% customer service. Management knew this was impossible and setting that expectation only means setting your staff up for failure.
Appreciate 1
      06-09-2015, 09:28 PM   #59
JBL84
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 335xi Msport Alpine

Garage List
2014 335xi  [0.00]
2014 228i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sr5959 View Post
Do they get dinged if you just don't respond to the survey? I forget most of the time on these.
It's not so much we get dinged but there is a certain amount we need to be answered for qualifiers for pay. However I would rather somebody not fill one out if you were questioning anything but 10's
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2015, 09:33 PM   #60
JBL84
Private
Rep

Garage List
2014 335xi  [0.00]
2014 228i  [0.00]
Quote:

Coming from a CA I sometimes think it's awkward to ask for a perfect score. It's kind of a poor system and even simple questions like "range of inventory to choose from" how can that be a 10 at any dealership. But that ultimately falls on me if I get a low score on random questions like that.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2015, 09:36 PM   #61
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBL84 View Post
Coming from a CA I sometimes think it's awkward to ask for a perfect score. It's kind of a poor system and even simple questions like "range of inventory to choose from" how can that be a 10 at any dealership. But that ultimately falls on me if I get a low score on random questions like that.
Did everyone catch that?? Whether you like it or not doesn't matter, that's how it works. And, as has been said, it's not only BMW by any stretch of the imagination.
member #388003 - Use me as a referral
& you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!

06-09-2015, 09:41 PM   #62
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronanz View Post

However, if the CA did not specifically state the importance of a PERFECT score, then they have to deal with the one they got.
^this. The CA was 100% out of line and completely unprofessional to make a call berating his customer. He got the score he got because he failed to do his job completely by not adequately explaining to his customer how the system works.
member #388003 - Use me as a referral
& you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!

06-09-2015, 10:29 PM   #63
JBL84
Private
Rep

Garage List
2014 335xi  [0.00]
2014 228i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
^this. The CA was 100% out of line and completely unprofessional to make a call berating his customer. He got the score he got because he failed to do his job completely by not adequately explaining to his customer how the system works.
I agree it's a bit rough to call somebody to basically ask them why they couldn't give them 10's. I've never done it and don't plan on it. Sounds like the CA in this situation may be a bit new to the system
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2015, 11:04 PM   #64
bobbydigital
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBL84
Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
I agree it's a bit rough to call somebody to basically ask them why they couldn't give them 10's. I've never done it and don't plan on it. Sounds like the CA in this situation may be a bit new to the system
He's been at the dealer for over 3 years.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2015, 11:12 PM   #65
MisterPhilip
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '15 328xi F31

I feel kinda bad that I didn't give my CA all 10s, but I also feel it wasn't fully deserved. I was the one that had to initiate the conversations with him almost every time (never any updates on where the car was, etc.), felt rushed when I was there working with him, and then when it came time to actually sign the papers everything was so disorganized. If I remember it was somewhere between 1.5 - 2 hours from walking in to driving off... most of it was just sitting there in the waiting area or his cubby while he ran around getting the paperwork together. Additionally almost every question I had about the car he didn't know the answer to which was disappointing. Had I known that the survey was linked to his pay, I just wouldn't have submitted the survey. I definitely would not have been too happy if the CA contacted me like they did with the OP.

I've since moved to another dealership in the area and my SA was nothing but outstanding. I plan on making sure he gets all 10s because he definitely met/exceeded my expectations.

It's a shame BMW (and other manufacturers) use the 10 = pass/anything else = fail method. It's misleading for the consumer and it hurts the employees. Nothing good comes of it.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2015, 05:29 AM   #66
jjc4scab
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 435ix,GTR, Huracan Performante

Quote:
Unbelievably, BMW NA has just contacted me over email to followup on telephone about "my recent survey answers".

Block the call.