F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Problems with running too much E85 recently
proTUNING Freaks

04-08-2014, 03:35 PM   #23
RollingLower42
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 335I

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanview View Post
The main issue is behind the steering wheel.
Using gasoline the care is not made for?
Obviously you are one of these BMW "Purists" right? Leave the car stock and the way it is. We get it. There are people that like to keep their car stock, their are people that like to slightly mod their cars, and their are people who like to just go balls out crazy and mod the shit out of it. We all are different, and we all get that. You sound like a old record player stuck on repeat though. Your interpretation is one sided and the only way. Anything else not in the manual, seems to bug you. It is obvious the car originally is not made to take E85. But do your homework on people who mod their cars and run tunes like BMS, and with the right upgrades (downpipe, tune, flex fuel wires) , yes you can run a certain amount of E85. And obviously their are lots of people who have and do run this set up. Did i perhaps get a little carried away and put too much in? It seems like it. But that's what I find fun and interesting about this hobby, I am not trying to kill my car or dick some future owner down the road like you assume, I am just trying to see what works and what doesn't. I highly doubt I want to trade my car in after all the $, and time I have spent on it. I love it and it's my baby. So regardless of if you think I am right or not, or what the BMW manual is going to say in fine print set in stone, I am going to do what I want and hope that in the end, my car runs hard and looks sexy while doing it. We get it says in the manual "No E85". We also were told not to think "outside the box" and to conform to all rules and regulations all the time in life, and I am sure you abide by everything as the rules state to the T, in all aspects of your life right? Whether you agree with it or not, I am sure you are absolutely perfect and righteous in everything you do.
2012 BMW 335I F30-- KWV2, VOLK TTA-TE37, HANKOOK V12'S, MEISTERSCHAFT SUPER GT RACING EXHAUST, JB4 STAGE 2 MAP 2, CHALLENGE HFC DOWNPIPE, M-PERF SIDE SKIRTS, M-PERF REAR BUMPER, CUSTOM LTMW F30/F12 FRONT BUMPER (THANKS LONG!!), HID FOG LIGHTS, MATTE BLACK GRILLE, UNDERGROUND EURO WHITE SIDE BULBS, GLOSS VINYL ROOF WRAP AND WINDOW TRIM, CUSTOM STRUT BAR
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2014, 09:35 AM   #24
oceanview
Captain
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 335i F31 RWD Autom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollingLower42 View Post
But do your homework on people who mod their cars and run tunes like BMS, and with the right upgrades (downpipe, tune, flex fuel wires) , yes you can run a certain amount of E85.
On one side, you put money in upgrades and on the other side, you use a gasoline mixture which is known to damage engines not made for E85. Why?
If you mix down E85 than that's a different Story. 10% or 85% of Bioeth. is a difference. And E10 is supported for this Engine.
(I don't know about the US, but over here in Europe E85 is seen as an engine killer if the car is not clearly made for use with E85.)
But, freedom of choice, sure.

Well anyhow, I hope your car is coming back to life.

Last edited by oceanview; 04-09-2014 at 09:44 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2014, 10:01 AM   #25
bmwperson
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 4wheels

Engine killer? eh my buddy has probably 100k on e85 (700whp e36), we have opened up the motor a handful of times and it always looked great. No ridges on top of the cylinder, no carbon buildup, no issues. Everything looked spotless.

E85 has a much higher octane rating, coupled with cooling properties makes it a very boost friendly fuel at a fraction of the price of C16/racegas and without having to deal with LEAD...

The idea that E85 somehow will kill the engine is funny in general, E85 shouldn't even touch anything past the piston rings and valve stems. Piston rings are lubricated by squirts(haha) which mist the bottom of the piston(mostly for cooling) and valve stems guides are brass/bronze. We have a bunch of E85 cars around Chicago, I have never seen any excessive wear attributed to E85.

While the durability of the fuel system might suffer due to the components not being rated for E85, it's a gradual process and as such you should consider the price of replacements as part of high HP maintenance.

Like with everything, some people prefer a unmodified, reliable car that is serviced at bmw and some sacrifice some of it to have more fun with it. To each it's own.

... so is it fixed yet?
2014 BMW 335i xDrive 6spd loaded
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2014, 02:44 PM   #26
RollingLower42
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanview View Post
On one side, you put money in upgrades and on the other side, you use a gasoline mixture which is known to damage engines not made for E85. Why?
If you mix down E85 than that's a different Story. 10% or 85% of Bioeth. is a difference. And E10 is supported for this Engine.
(I don't know about the US, but over here in Europe E85 is seen as an engine killer if the car is not clearly made for use with E85.)
But, freedom of choice, sure.

Well anyhow, I hope your car is coming back to life.
Perhaps E85 is different from the US and Europe? I am not sure but possibly, and I am guessing European BMWs' are slightly different from the US? Considering E10 is supported in Europe, and I have never heard of that in the US?

Anyways, car is somewhat coming back to life.

I checked for fun my engine oil levels yesterday and I did have to add 1 quart of oil.. I wonder if that had anything to do with it at all or not.

Thanks for the well wishes, and my apologies for calling you a jackass earlier on
2012 BMW 335I F30-- KWV2, VOLK TTA-TE37, HANKOOK V12'S, MEISTERSCHAFT SUPER GT RACING EXHAUST, JB4 STAGE 2 MAP 2, CHALLENGE HFC DOWNPIPE, M-PERF SIDE SKIRTS, M-PERF REAR BUMPER, CUSTOM LTMW F30/F12 FRONT BUMPER (THANKS LONG!!), HID FOG LIGHTS, MATTE BLACK GRILLE, UNDERGROUND EURO WHITE SIDE BULBS, GLOSS VINYL ROOF WRAP AND WINDOW TRIM, CUSTOM STRUT BAR
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2014, 02:50 PM   #27
RollingLower42
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwperson View Post
Engine killer? eh my buddy has probably 100k on e85 (700whp e36), we have opened up the motor a handful of times and it always looked great. No ridges on top of the cylinder, no carbon buildup, no issues. Everything looked spotless.

E85 has a much higher octane rating, coupled with cooling properties makes it a very boost friendly fuel at a fraction of the price of C16/racegas and without having to deal with LEAD...

The idea that E85 somehow will kill the engine is funny in general, E85 shouldn't even touch anything past the piston rings and valve stems. Piston rings are lubricated by squirts(haha) which mist the bottom of the piston(mostly for cooling) and valve stems guides are brass/bronze. We have a bunch of E85 cars around Chicago, I have never seen any excessive wear attributed to E85.

While the durability of the fuel system might suffer due to the components not being rated for E85, it's a gradual process and as such you should consider the price of replacements as part of high HP maintenance.

Like with everything, some people prefer a unmodified, reliable car that is serviced at bmw and some sacrifice some of it to have more fun with it. To each it's own.

... so is it fixed yet?
Not fixed yet, still having problems. Turned car on last night in the evening after I was home for work. Started up and seemed to idle fine at first, but then went into limp mode again. I did have to add 1 quart of oil like stated above, I pulled the codes, cleared them, added in the oil and drove it around a little. No codes after that, but I am guessing if I go after work again today and try, it will probably do the same thing. I will keep you updated later on..

Codes I got yesterday were: (still don't know what the other codes were from earlier)

14016C
1401AA

Appreciate 0
      04-09-2014, 02:52 PM   #28
RollingLower42
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
And Justin thought it could have something to do with the wiring or I have loose wiring somewhere. It is a possibility I might have to look into soon. More than likely will eventually have to get it towed somewhere
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2014, 03:20 PM   #29
oceanview
Captain
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 335i F31 RWD Autom.

Quote:
Perhaps E85 is different from the US and Europe? I am not sure but possibly, and I am guessing European BMWs' are slightly different from the US? Considering E10 is supported in Europe, and I have never heard of that in the US?

Anyways, car is somewhat coming back to life.

I checked for fun my engine oil levels yesterday and I did have to add 1 quart of oil.. I wonder if that had anything to do with it at all or not.

Thanks for the well wishes, and my apologies for calling you a jackass earlier on
I'm quite sure the N55B30 is the same. Power and Torque are the same numbers as in Europe (as written in that manual).

The support for E10 on your car is also written on page 262 in the Owner's Manual
(Sorry can't coppy/paste the text and put it here, as the PDF is protected)
Just read below the titel:
Use high-quality brands

Sure accept your apologies, thanks, no problem.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2014, 03:26 PM   #30
olehead
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240I X drive

Very interesting posts - concerning mods etc - I mod to race period - If I was not into 1/4 mile drag racing the car would stay stock - having said that I am learning a lot about the N55 engine - and it is beast waiting to be released - when the car can turn times like it just did in the 1/4 mile with just a stage 1 - potential is unlimited - I may have to supercharge my Mustang to keep up LOL
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2014, 04:25 PM   #31
Eric SS
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 Chevy SS Sedan

Bummer you're still having problems. Have you tried removing the JB4 completely or switching to Map 0 or 1 with the E85 wire removed just to try and narrow down the issue?
2023 X3M Comp: current
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2014, 04:33 PM   #32
RollingLower42
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Good news!

Found out the problem was bad spark plugs and bad injectors (all because I used TOO much E85)

That being said, replaced spark plugs and all (6) of my fuel injectors. I am currently on map one and it is running fine.

I was told to run map 2 next and stay off of 7. So once I run this batch of gas all the way down, i will fill all up with 91 and put 2-3 gallons E85, then change to map 2 and see how it does. I should be fine though, I was just advised not to ever put more than 5 gallons of E85 in and that's with a full tank of 91 for the rest. So I think for now on, i will be really moderate and only put 2-3 gallons in, and just be good from that!

I also hear map 5 is in development and it is "Auto tuning map" from my understanding, so I hope to check that map out soon !!!!

Glad it wasn't anything major though and wasn't too much of a hassle at all

Attached Images

Last edited by RollingLower42; 04-21-2014 at 06:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2014, 05:12 PM   #33
Alpine435i
Banned
Rep
Drives: 435i

Wow that looks great. Proper wheels.

Is your car wrapped matte white or am I just seeing it that way?
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2014, 05:38 PM   #34
bmwperson
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 4wheels

Good news, any chance you could take pictures of the injectors? what failed on them?
2014 BMW 335i xDrive 6spd loaded
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2014, 05:43 PM   #35
Bowser330
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: i3 REX

Quote:
Good news!

Found out the problem through BMW was bad spark plugs and bad injectors (all because I used TOO much E85)

That being said, replaced spark plugs and all (6) of my fuel injectors. I am currently on map one and it is running fine.

I was told to run map 2 next and stay off of 7. So once I run this batch of gas all the way down, i will fill all up with 91 and put 2-3 gallons E85, then change to map 2 and see how it does. I should be fine though, I was just advised not to ever put more than 5 gallons of E85 in and that's with a full tank of 91 for the rest. So I think for now on, i will be really moderate and only put 2-3 gallons in, and just be good from that!

I also hear map 5 is in development and it is "Auto tuning map" from my understanding, so I hope to check that map out soon !!!!

Glad it wasn't anything major though and wasn't too much of a hassle at all

Where did you go to take care of that work? BMW dealership? Indy shop?
If BMW, did they do the work under warranty? How did you explain the extra ethanol in the tank? Did they hassle you about that?

If indy shop, which shop?
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2014, 06:20 PM   #36
JN1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: S211 AMG E63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine435i View Post

His car is just stock AW, the matte black grills and gloss dark wheels make the paint look more matte in pics.
      04-21-2014, 06:58 PM   #37
RollingLower42
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine435i View Post

Thanks, wheels look great too IMO. Just white paint job, no flat white
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2014, 06:59 PM   #38
RollingLower42
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowser330 View Post
Where did you go to take care of that work? BMW dealership? Indy shop?
If BMW, did they do the work under warranty? How did you explain the extra ethanol in the tank? Did they hassle you about that?

If indy shop, which shop?
It was my buddy's Indy shop. Pm me if you want the name
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2014, 07:00 PM   #39
RollingLower42
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwperson View Post
Good news, any chance you could take pictures of the injectors? what failed on them?
I can try to look and see if I can take a picture of them. Not sure what failed but it was definitely bc I put way too much e85 in, like 10-11 gallons I'm guessing. So considering you shouldn't go over 5, I guess that's what explains it
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2014, 07:28 AM   #40
avantix
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 M4CS Lime Rock Grey

I recommended you change the spark plugs. Never thought the injectors would foul too. Wow. Glad you got it sorted out mate.
      04-24-2014, 05:48 PM   #41
RollingLower42
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by avantix View Post
I recommended you change the spark plugs. Never thought the injectors would foul too. Wow. Glad you got it sorted out mate.
Yes good recommendation, and thanks. I read somewhere that once you hit 40K miles you should replace the spark plugs and clean your injectors.

I was at 40,200 or so, so maybe that also had a role to play in that debacle that is no more .
Appreciate 0