F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Sport Seats Issue
Studio RSR

03-01-2013, 09:28 PM   #1
Harveyd396
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 , MT, Mineral White

Sport Seats Issue

I am very happy with my 2013 335i M Sport but have a strange problem with the sport seats. When I drive the car for more than 1 hour, I start to have a throbbing pain in my right hip, never had this happen before. If I drive a different car, no problems. I have tried many different seat positions to no avail. I think it could have something to do with the angle of the gas pedal, not sure. After 2 hours it gets really very painful and if I walk around for a few minutes it goes away. Would like to know if anyone else has this problem or an idea what is causing this. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2013, 09:42 PM   #2
zeezz
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Sport Line

Are you using the thigh bolster support that moves in and out?
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2013, 10:05 PM   #3
bones
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340 RWD

hip bursitis?
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2013, 10:18 PM   #4
BMWforLife
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 330i

biology.
11 328i
06 330i
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2013, 11:30 PM   #5
Atombyte
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3, 2016 535i, 2019 540i

Garage List
2019 540i  [0.00]
2016 535i  [0.00]
2013 M3  [0.00]
If you're new to BMW sport seats, you'll learn that finding the right settings is a bit of trial and error. Compared to most car seats that, IMO, follow the 80/20 rule and offer a few adjustments, these seats are far more adjustable. Get it wrong, and they will hurt you. But when you get it right, you'll be able to go on very long drives and not suffer the aches and pains / fatigue you'll get from more standard seats.

Play with different combinations of side bolstering, seat angle, bottom cushion adjustment, and lumbar support. You'll find the right setting eventually and when you do, you'll appreciate what you have and sitting in regular car seats will never feel right. BTW, it took me about 6-8 months to really dial it in.
      03-02-2013, 03:14 AM   #6
Throwwire
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 335is m

I too tend to feel this same style pinching annoying feel in the sport seats in my 335is.moving from a 5 series I thought I was just in a smaller seat but.im glad.to hear someone else has the same.issue.I have 2k miles on the car so far Im hoping I just need.to break them in/find the right position.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2013, 04:47 AM   #7
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

DVT?

M Performance Exhaust/Brakes/Suspension/LSD|Bav Stage 1/AMP||ER CP/IC/DP/OC | Dinan CAI/N55 PWG BIG TURBO|BMWF30.com
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2013, 12:24 PM   #8
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Many

Fat wallet in your back pocket? This is the root cause of discomfort in many cases but is overlooked. You may also be correct in that it might be related to pedal position. Try raising the entire seat and tilting the seat base rearward slightly so you have more support under your thighs.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2013, 12:31 PM   #9
M3takesNYC
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3

I am not even joking when I say this but personally I weight about 180. When I fluctuate by as little as 5 pounds more, I get the absolutely most sore lower back and right hip but when I am back to 180 the same seat position is perfect. So I know you said other seats don't bother you but the bmw sport seats are decently deep bucket which puts a bit more pressure on your sacral area and any extra weight there can actually place that much more strain on that hip area.

I use it as a motivation to stay at my ideal weight! lol
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2013, 12:34 PM   #10
DerekS
Major
Rep
Drives: '24 X3 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianFanatic View Post
Fat wallet in your back pocket? This is the root cause of discomfort in many cases but is overlooked.
How true !!! For all but the shortest drives, it's a good idea to carry your wallet in a front pocket rather than a rear pocket, so one's hip is not displaced.
      03-02-2013, 01:27 PM   #11
jtuds
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335rwd Dinan S2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harveyd396 View Post
I am very happy with my 2013 335i M Sport but have a strange problem with the sport seats. When I drive the car for more than 1 hour, I start to have a throbbing pain in my right hip, never had this happen before. If I drive a different car, no problems. I have tried many different seat positions to no avail. I think it could have something to do with the angle of the gas pedal, not sure. After 2 hours it gets really very painful and if I walk around for a few minutes it goes away. Would like to know if anyone else has this problem or an idea what is causing this. Thanks
What kind of car did you come from? I am anticipating that I might have the same problem. Curently I drive a full size sedan and it's fine but whenever I am in my wife's car which is the same size as a 3 series, I get really bad pain in my lower back after an hour. She's got a Lexus IS and I have a Lexus ES. Before driving the IS I never ever had this problem. However, I'm also fatter now that I have ever been since she got the IS.

Hope the 335i isn't like that or ED will be a struggle.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2013, 01:32 PM   #12
Harveyd396
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 , MT, Mineral White

I thank you all for your responses and taking this seriously. Here's some more information to try to resolve this. No wallet in back pocket. For the past 30 years I have owned only Volvos and never had this issue. My last Volvo was a V70R I drove for 9 years, greatest seats ever. All my cars have had manual 6 speeds and this is my first BMW. I have tried every adjustment on the seat. I even tried sitting on my Airhawk seat pad that I use on my Yamaha FJR motorcycle that I rode for 62,000 miles. If that didn't bring out a hip or back problem, nothing will. I am in good shape, but a little chunky, 235 lbs 5ft 9 in. The pain first starts in my right cheek (hip) then as time goes on radiates down my right leg to my knee, it throbs, after 2 hours I have stop, get out and walk around, pain goes away. I look at my georgous car and just can say WTF. Help!!

Last edited by Harveyd396; 03-02-2013 at 01:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2013, 02:34 PM   #13
mdsbuc
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 335i M Sport-'12MustGT 5.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atombyte View Post
If you're new to BMW sport seats, you'll learn that finding the right settings is a bit of trial and error. Compared to most car seats that, IMO, follow the 80/20 rule and offer a few adjustments, these seats are far more adjustable. Get it wrong, and they will hurt you. But when you get it right, you'll be able to go on very long drives and not suffer the aches and pains / fatigue you'll get from more standard seats.

Play with different combinations of side bolstering, seat angle, bottom cushion adjustment, and lumbar support. You'll find the right setting eventually and when you do, you'll appreciate what you have and sitting in regular car seats will never feel right. BTW, it took me about 6-8 months to really dial it in.
This is the way it was with the comfort seats on my E60. If the seats strayed from that perfect spot it could be hell sometimes. Often, the more I played with the settings, the worse it would get. What I learned was that for me the perfect setting was a more neutral one. The seat bottom would need to be horizontally straight so that there was no pressure from the front of the seat pressing up on my hams. The seat back was most comfortable in a nearly vertical position, and the lumbar pushing in a bit on my lower back. Once I learned that this worked for me it was much easier to find the right spot if they ever got out whack. Good luck finding your "sweet spot."

2013 335i M Sport- EBII / BLACK / Dk Walnut /Packages- Prem / DHP / Tech / Driver Assist / DA Plus Options- 8 Sprt AT / Htd FS / HK / Hi Bm Asst /403 19" w/perf tyres

Ordered: 12/15/12, ED Delivery Date: 04/23/13
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2013, 03:25 PM   #14
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

It could just be the design of the BMW seat is highlighting something physiological that's been there. If you have your M.D. check it out and he finds nothing, would say it's the way the seat is adjusted.

One thing I'm pretty sure about is that if there's nothing wrong in your hip, there's going to be some position that you'll eventually be able to find that's comfortable.

Good luck and here's hoping it's the seat adjustment and not something physiological.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2013, 07:38 PM   #15
DerekS
Major
Rep
Drives: '24 X3 M Sport

Quote:
The pain first starts in my right cheek (hip) then as time goes on radiates down my right leg to my knee, it throbs, after 2 hours I have stop, get out and walk around, pain goes away. Help!!
Yikes ! Maybe you have a physiological problem with your lumbar area ? This kind of pain sounds too familiar to me. I had similar back/leg pain after lifting some heavy concrete pavers. After various scans, the cause of my pain turned out to be a herniated disc @ L3/L4 that was eventually cured by having a micro-discectomy.

The good news in your case is that the pain eventually goes away and you do not have to use painkilling drugs 24/7. I think you should continue to experiment with different seat positions. If that does not bring relief, you might also consider consulting your physician and/or chiropractor.
      03-02-2013, 09:12 PM   #16
Frzdrdhppy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 335i xD GT Estoril/Oyster

Quote:
I thank you all for your responses and taking this seriously. Here's some more information to try to resolve this. No wallet in back pocket. For the past 30 years I have owned only Volvos and never had this issue. My last Volvo was a V70R I drove for 9 years, greatest seats ever. All my cars have had manual 6 speeds and this is my first BMW. I have tried every adjustment on the seat. I even tried sitting on my Airhawk seat pad that I use on my Yamaha FJR motorcycle that I rode for 62,000 miles. If that didn't bring out a hip or back problem, nothing will. I am in good shape, but a little chunky, 235 lbs 5ft 9 in. The pain first starts in my right cheek (hip) then as time goes on radiates down my right leg to my knee, it throbs, after 2 hours I have stop, get out and walk around, pain goes away. I look at my georgous car and just can say WTF. Help!!
Sounds like sciatica to me. See your doc. I had same pains, but not from my car seat, and that was the diagnosis.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2013, 10:03 PM   #17
bimmerjph
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 3.0

Is your wallet unusually thick? Try driving with in the door compartment.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2013, 10:06 PM   #18
AndDown
Just Copacetic!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 F22 230i MSport

Quote:
My E46 has the sports package seats and driving in those sport seats my lower back would start aching after a short while. I have a lower back that is very sensitive to positioning and no matter how I adjusted those seats, my back would start to ache due to the deeper seatback and lack of lower back support. I tried various seat back supports and the one that really made a BIG difference is the Moller orthodpedic support by Obus Ultra Form. Here's a link if you're interested:
http://www.amazon.com/Forme-Ultra-Er...edic+back+rest

I have the regular seats on my F30 and E53 and don't have any problems, only on the E46 sport seats. Sounds like what you're experiencing is a pinched sciatic nerve. Best wishes in your search for a remedy!
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2013, 07:56 PM   #19
vern
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 335i Sport 2006 X3

Quote:
IMO all the Sport Seats are very touchy to adjust but once you find your adjustment that suits you they are very very comfortable. I've traveled quite a few times on trips for 12-13 hours just stopping for a bite to eat or go to the bathroom. The seats were comfortable. Just a suggestion, take a hand towel and fold it up until its about 2 inches thick. the next time you experience pain put the folded towel under the thigh that is on the side of the pain. If the pain goes away you have to adjust the thigh support higher. If that don't do it keep using the towel. Good luck
cheers
vern
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2013, 08:48 PM   #20
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

I think you might need to do some yoga and sit ups-I have a feeling at your weight and height, don't take this the wrong way, the sport seats are highlighting poor core strength.

M Performance Exhaust/Brakes/Suspension/LSD|Bav Stage 1/AMP||ER CP/IC/DP/OC | Dinan CAI/N55 PWG BIG TURBO|BMWF30.com
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2014, 08:41 AM   #21
skiingmav
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 340i

Garage List
2016 BMW X3 35i  [0.00]
2018 BMW 340i  [0.00]
I have the same issue with my e92 335i and also my e46 330ci. My lower back screams in pain after more than 5 min in the car. The only other brand to do this to my back has been Honda.
The solution for me was to remove the back cover of the drivers seat and pull the lower horizontal spring away from the seat cusion. I held the spring against the frame of the seat with zip ties. This allows the lower seat cushion to flatten much more than just deflating the lumbar. It worked great in the e46 and eliminated my pain, but only helped for a few months in the e92. Now my back is killing me again and I'm trying to find another solution.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2014, 09:00 AM   #22
stevehecht
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 328d

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsbuc View Post
This is the way it was with the comfort seats on my E60. If the seats strayed from that perfect spot it could be hell sometimes. Often, the more I played with the settings, the worse it would get. What I learned was that for me the perfect setting was a more neutral one. The seat bottom would need to be horizontally straight so that there was no pressure from the front of the seat pressing up on my hams. The seat back was most comfortable in a nearly vertical position, and the lumbar pushing in a bit on my lower back. Once I learned that this worked for me it was much easier to find the right spot if they ever got out whack. Good luck finding your "sweet spot."
We had a very similar discussion on this topic on another thread. The solution for the person who started the other thread turned out to be a small wedged shape foam cushion about 2" thick in the rear. The principle (as stated in the post above) is to eliminate the bucket and sit on a horizontal surface. Keeping the back cushion as close to 90 degrees as possible is also important. I'm a chiropractor. It's very doubtful (from the description of the pain) that the OP has sciatica or a disc related problem.