F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Performance exhaust tips
proTUNING Freaks

11-28-2012, 06:35 AM   #45
kitster
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G31 M Sport

Or order from a german BMW dealer and ask Scotthall MK to fit it.

http://www.salesafter.eu/product_inf...318d-320d.html

The delivery is 30 euro, works out around £190 delivered.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 06:56 AM   #46
MaestroAl
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335xD

I think factory fitted counts as stock, even if it's a performance mod. Anything fitted by the dealer, 3rd party or yourself counts as a modification with any insurer I've been with. We even have to declare the after-market parking sensors on my wife's car and that buggers us up for insurance because so many companies aren't interested in "modified" cars
      11-28-2012, 07:00 AM   #47
MarkW83
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaestroAl View Post
I think factory fitted counts as stock, even if it's a performance mod. Anything fitted by the dealer, 3rd party or yourself counts as a modification with any insurer I've been with. We even have to declare the after-market parking sensors on my wife's car and that buggers us up for insurance because so many companies aren't interested in "modified" cars
Yep, this is right Though you'd have to declare said performance mod as a "factory-fitted optional extra"
      11-28-2012, 07:19 AM   #48
MaestroAl
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkW83 View Post
Yep, this is right Though you'd have to declare said performance mod as a "factory-fitted optional extra"
Oh OK I've never had a "factory fitted performance mod" so wasn't sure Now after market mods ... that's a different story
      11-28-2012, 07:23 AM   #49
MarkW83
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Oh OK I've never had a "factory fitted performance mod" so wasn't sure Now after market mods ... that's a different story
Yup, my old MINI Cooper S JCW was the worst, I went crazy on the mods for that (pre-family and house commitments!), had paperwork listing all the mods coming back and forth from my insurance company literally every week!!

Only thing I'm doing to the F30 is black grilles, black exhaust tips and black genuine CF roundels (as well as matt coral red line on the brushed alu interior trim, as M Sport only comes with black gloss when you have coral red seats!) which should be easier to manage!

BTW, I assume your car is at the dealer being prep'd for your collection in 2 days? If so, what was your production week?

Mine has just yesterday gone to "Confirmed by production control" with a build week of 49 (next week) - when do you reckon it will arrive at the dealer?
      11-28-2012, 07:50 AM   #50
rich1068
has left the building
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Only thing I'm doing to the F30 is black grilles, black exhaust tips and black genuine CF roundels
Very interested in these. Keep us posted. Any links in the meantime?
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 07:53 AM   #51
MaestroAl
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

It's an addictive game isn't it mark Kinda glad I'm leasing this car because it means I can't spend thousands over the next couple of years "tinkering"

My car was build week 43, born on October 25th according to BMWVIN.com and vanished for a few weeks in God-knows-where then reappeared last week. It's all done and dusted now though. I could technically collect it now but lease companies insist on delivering the car to your door I guess one more sleep can be tolerated
      11-28-2012, 07:55 AM   #52
MarkW83
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich1068 View Post
Very interested in these. Keep us posted. Any links in the meantime?
Black grilles are the BMW "Performance" grilles you can get from your dealer, about £75 for the pair, part numbers are 51 71 2 240 775 / 778.

The dark chrome/black exhaust tips (from the "Sport" line) I don't have the part numbers for, but they were I think about £60 for the pair (they just clip over the exhausts (obviously you take the chrome tips off first).

CF roundels: there's a chap on eBay who I've got CF badges from for my previous BMWs, really good quality and genuine CF so they look great. Only problem at the moment is that the bonnet badge on the F30/F31 is a new design, and they don't have a direct replacement for it yet (apparently 6-12 months away); but he does a stick-over replacement which completely covers the badge, and it looks like it is a replacement badge. All other badges (exc. steering wheel) are replacements, think it's about £60 for the full set (boot/bonnet/steering wheel/4 x wheel caps).

PM me if you want his email
      11-28-2012, 07:57 AM   #53
MarkW83
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
It's an addictive game isn't it mark Kinda glad I'm leasing this car because it means I can't spend thousands over the next couple of years "tinkering"

My car was build week 43, born on October 25th according to BMWVIN.com and vanished for a few weeks in God-knows-where then reappeared last week. It's all done and dusted now though. I could technically collect it now but lease companies insist on delivering the car to your door I guess one more sleep can be tolerated
It is mate, though 2 BMWs ago I leased mine through my business, and still "tinkered" with some cosmetic mods; figured I would just revert back to OEM if and when it went back, and there was always the possibility of it being used as a part-ex etc. and bought from the lease firm by BMW (which is what happened)!

I guess the delay with yours could have been down to the third-party lease company?

What can I do on BMWVIN.com? Does it give you the production status of the car? If not, is there anywhere I can get that (without having to phone up my dealer or BMW UK)?

Last edited by MarkW83; 11-28-2012 at 08:05 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 08:15 AM   #54
MaestroAl
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

I don't think we have any way of tracking progress this side of the pond like our American cousins can. We need stuff like customer service for that We just order a car then have the mushroom treatment until it appears.

And no, it wasn't the lease company's fault per se. Maybe the lack of communication was but my car only arrived at the dealer on Friday and they've turned it round for delivery as quick as they can Something went wrong between finishing production and getting to the dealer and nobody will tell me what. My father in law runs the docks where they all come in and get distributed for PDI, they even do a lot of PDIs themselves and post-lease inspections for auction and he said that the "there's a general lack of transport" answer I was given was bullshit and that my car had almost certainly been damaged in transit and they were keeping quiet about it. Either that or it never left Germany when it should have (?) It's odd because if there was a process-wide problem then why have people with BW46 cars taken delivery already?
      11-28-2012, 08:19 AM   #55
MarkW83
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I don't think we have any way of tracking progress this side of the pond like our American cousins can. We need stuff like customer service for that We just order a car then have the mushroom treatment until it appears.

And no, it wasn't the lease company's fault per se. Maybe the lack of communication was but my car only arrived at the dealer on Friday and they've turned it round for delivery as quick as they can Something went wrong between finishing production and getting to the dealer and nobody will tell me what. My father in law runs the docks where they all come in and get distributed for PDI, they even do a lot of PDIs themselves and post-lease inspections for auction and he said that the "there's a general lack of transport" answer I was given was bullshit and that my car had almost certainly been damaged in transit and they were keeping quiet about it. Either that or it never left Germany when it should have (?) It's odd because if there was a process-wide problem then why have people with BW46 cars taken delivery already?
Yes yours seems to have taken a long time, it will have been a difficult wait but I'm definitely envious that you're picking yours up tomorrow! I'm going a bit mad with the wait, though I've already got through hopefully a third of it (or more)!

I wonder why mine has been so quick getting to production? Ordered 14/11/12, went into "scheduled for production" almost straight away with build week of 49 (03/12/12), then yesterday (27/11/12) it went "confirmed for production". I guess they're now catching up with themselves after the 330d and M Sport launches?
      11-28-2012, 08:21 AM   #56
MaestroAl
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I wonder why mine has been so quick getting to production? Ordered 14/11/12, went into "scheduled for production" almost straight away with build week of 49 (03/12/12), then yesterday (27/11/12) it went "confirmed for production". I guess they're now catching up with themselves after the 330d and M Sport launches?
I think that's the case. A lot of the pre-orders were very slow (still are). the first few shot off the line about 6 weeks ago but there's been a purple patch since where there have been all sorts of stories about missing alloys and missing aluminium trim and whatnot and lots of stories about cars missing in transit. What we do know is that BMW have been very slow going from order to delivery and now it's "business as usual"
      11-28-2012, 10:27 AM   #57
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:

Maybe a part was not available to finish the car,trim or something, so they listed car as 'built' when in fact it was sitting in the parking lot with a missing flugelbinder ???

I remember hearing that near the end of Rover they had lines of them with no headlights all finished. Apparently the head light supplier wasn't going to supply them without money up front.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 10:42 AM   #58
MaestroAl
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

That's always possible. Some did mention no 403 wheels and no aluminium trim or something. Both of which I ordered
      11-28-2012, 03:33 PM   #59
rich1068
has left the building
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Black grilles are the BMW "Performance" grilles you can get from your dealer, about £75 for the pair, part numbers are 51 71 2 240 775 / 778.

The dark chrome/black exhaust tips (from the "Sport" line) I don't have the part numbers for, but they were I think about £60 for the pair (they just clip over the exhausts (obviously you take the chrome tips off first).

CF roundels: there's a chap on eBay who I've got CF badges from for my previous BMWs, really good quality and genuine CF so they look great. Only problem at the moment is that the bonnet badge on the F30/F31 is a new design, and they don't have a direct replacement for it yet (apparently 6-12 months away); but he does a stick-over replacement which completely covers the badge, and it looks like it is a replacement badge. All other badges (exc. steering wheel) are replacements, think it's about £60 for the full set (boot/bonnet/steering wheel/4 x wheel caps).

PM me if you want his email
Thanks for that.

Not too interested in the badges but I did have the black performance grilles on my E91 and liked them. As a Sport Plus it also came with the dark chrome exhaust tip which I also liked the look of. I think I may be getting in touch with the dealer a little nearer to delivery.

As far as mods and leased cars are concerned, it's never stopped me before
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2012, 04:47 AM   #60
jcastle
Enlisted Member
Finland
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW F30 320i M-Sport AW

You who had this done, did you have any problems with the dealer doing the mod (diffusor+tailpipes) on a 320i?

I am trying to get the mod done with my dealer but they send me the below notice that it couldn't be done.
I did also ask them about fitting the M Performance silencer so maybe they got confused?

"The last pipe before the backsilencer is connected in the 320i with a 60mm clip as in the 328i it's connected with a 75mm clip so the pipe before the backsilencer is different as well as the catalysator. So the change would beed more than the diffusor."

So if you have inside knowledge what could help it would be higly appreciated. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2012, 05:19 AM   #61
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcastle View Post
You who had this done, did you have any problems with the dealer doing the mod (diffusor+tailpipes) on a 320i?

I am trying to get the mod done with my dealer but they send me the below notice that it couldn't be done.
I did also ask them about fitting the M Performance silencer so maybe they got confused?

"The last pipe before the backsilencer is connected in the 320i with a 60mm clip as in the 328i it's connected with a 75mm clip so the pipe before the backsilencer is different as well as the catalysator. So the change would beed more than the diffusor."

So if you have inside knowledge what could help it would be higly appreciated. Thanks!
This is another way of saying "it's not the right size and we can't be bothered to make the necessary adjustments".
      12-12-2012, 06:07 AM   #62
RobUK
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 340i MPPSK

Garage List
This whole anything not fitted by the factory thing, where does it end? Dear policyholder, we note you have put new floor mats in your vehicle. The additional premium will be...

Life is a state of mind
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2012, 07:22 AM   #63
MarkW83
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Difficult to know where to draw the line. Who's to say they won't say "well you have "M" floor mats sir, so anyone looking through the window may mistake the car for an M model and therefore try to steal it when they otherwise wouldn't have".

They could *try* to say something like that of course, as they will try to wriggle out of paying a claim any way they can; but ultimately it would be down to what could be considered "reasonable" if it went to court, and I doubt they'd get away with such trivialities...

With things like obvious external additions like a black grill and black exhausts as I'm doing: it's understandable that they want them declaring: the black exhausts are from the 'Sport' rather than M Sport line, so from the rear the car could be (though is unlikely to be!) mistaken with another line (even though said line is "cheaper", but equally it would work the other way, putting M Sport parts on a Sport line, for instance). So they're insuring for a different risk in terms of desirability/risk of theft (from the mistaken thief), from the specific "M Sport" you've told them the car is.

Same with the black grilles: though they don't make the car look like a different model or line, they make the car potentially more "desirable" (the only reason we add them ourselves!), and potentially more attention-grabbing, so the risk could be increased.

You can understand their point for this, but for minor things like floor mats that you would have to squint inside the vehicle to see - and that it would be "unreasonable" for your average car thief to mistake the model or line of a car solely on its floor mats - I doubt that would hold up in court. But they could try!!

I've always been of the opinion that it's better to be safe than sorry with all this and to save yourself from any potential hassle with these frankly horribly companies in the future! All it takes is a quick email to advise of any mods - no matter how minor - and many insurers won't charge an extra premium to add small things. The point with elephant is - I suppose - that, for me at least, they're by far the cheapest compared to the other insurers, so they have to make their money somewhere with these mod/admin charges etc. I guess they're not really the company for an enthusiast or modder, but you pays your money and...

Last edited by MarkW83; 12-12-2012 at 07:27 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2012, 07:32 AM   #64
rich1068
has left the building
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobUK View Post
This whole anything not fitted by the factory thing, where does it end? Dear policyholder, we note you have put new floor mats in your vehicle. The additional premium will be...
Quote:
Difficult to know where to draw the line. Who's to say they won't say "well you have "M" floor mats sir, so anyone looking through the window may mistake the car for an M model and therefore try to steal it when they otherwise wouldn't have".

They could *try* to say something like that of course, as they will try to wriggle out of paying a claim any way they can; but ultimately it would be down to what could be considered "reasonable" if it went to court, and I doubt they'd get away with such trivialities...

With things like obvious external additions like a black grill and black exhausts as I'm doing: it's understandable that they want them declaring: the black exhausts are from the 'Sport' rather than M Sport line, so from the rear the car could be (though is unlikely to be!) mistaken with another line (even though said line is "cheaper", but equally it would work the other way, putting M Sport parts on a Sport line, for instance). So they're insuring for a different risk in terms of desirability/risk of theft (from the mistaken thief), from the specific "M Sport" you've told them the car is.

Same with the black grilles: though they don't make the car look like a different model or line, they make the car potentially more "desirable" (the only reason we add them ourselves!), and potentially more attention-grabbing, so the risk could be increased.

You can understand their point for this, but for minor things like floor mats that you would have to squint inside the vehicle to see - and that it would be "unreasonable" for your average car thief to mistake the model or line of a car solely on its floor mats - I doubt that would hold up in court. But they could try!!

I've always been of the opinion that it's better to be safe than sorry with all this and to save yourself from any potential hassle with these frankly horribly companies in the future! All it takes is a quick email to advise of any mods - no matter how minor - and many insurers won't charge an extra premium to add small things. The point with elephant is - I suppose - that, for me at least, they're by far the cheapest compared to the other insurers, so they have to make their money somewhere with these mod/admin charges etc. I guess they're not really the company for an enthusiast or modder, but you pays your money and...
I think he was talking about his dealer. Not his insurer.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2012, 07:34 AM   #65
MarkW83
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich1068 View Post
I think he was talking about his dealer. Not his insurer.
I don't think so, as he mentioned "policyholder" and "premium"?

Even so, point still stands for insurance purposes
      12-12-2012, 07:51 AM   #66
rich1068
has left the building
United Kingdom
Rep

I meant our man from Helsinki.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcastle View Post

Appreciate 0