F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Anyone felt the 3 blink turn signal should have been a 4 blink turn signal?
ARMA SPEED

11-25-2012, 03:25 AM   #23
EJIB
Private
Rep
Drives: F30 Luxury 18D 143 BHP 320NM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tojo_m View Post
Just seems that almost always the 3 blinks are over before I have completed the lane change.

Or maybe I need to be more aggressive while changing lanes
Never thaught of it but indeed 3 blinks mostly seem too few, 4 should be the standard IMO
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 10:27 AM   #24
Tsuvoi
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 328inGE View Post
im pretty sure 3 blinks is standard in europe or at least in germany. at a 100+ mph on the autobahn that is all you need.
No, 3 blinks is for asshole drivers. In Europe you need to give ample notice of your lane change and keep it all the way until you're fully in the other lane. Some people on the highway even keep it on until they are done passing since they want to signify that being on the passing lane is a temporary state.

US drivers SUCK. I'm tired of being cut off, tailgated, etc. by dicks who confuse aggressive driving with sporty driving. Apart from the third-world I see US drivers as worst in the world. It doesn't help that in order to be licensed you just need to show up and drive 5 minutes in a parking lot. LOL!
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 10:39 AM   #25
CE750Jockey
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '19 M240 'vert 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ft1337 View Post
No, 3 blinks is for asshole drivers. In Europe you need to give ample notice of your lane change and keep it all the way until you're fully in the other lane. Some people on the highway even keep it on until they are done passing since they want to signify that being on the passing lane is a temporary state.

US drivers SUCK. I'm tired of being cut off, tailgated, etc. by dicks who confuse aggressive driving with sporty driving. Apart from the third-world I see US drivers as worst in the world. It doesn't help that in order to be licensed you just need to show up and drive 5 minutes in a parking lot. LOL!
This is what happens when everyone who can fog a mirror owns not one, but two cars, and those cars are pieces of shit with the muffler dangling by a coat hanger, a side mirror missing the the glass, and a tail light lens covered over by red plastic. It's no wonder we can't drive over 65 here.

BTW, 3 blinks is fine. If you want to change lanes, be quick about it and change lanes.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 11:09 AM   #26
Trowa
Jack Bauer
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 330i xDrive, 2016 S1000RR

I think its plenty fine here in Canada.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 09:14 PM   #27
ric124
Colonel
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 BSM MT

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:

WOW you just classed a whole country of drivers. Yes they are some horrible drivers here but I think that goes for every country.

I got my license in Jamaica and it was a lot harder than here for sure I had to do two written test one for road and one on basic mechanics. Driving test was out in the real world and I had to do regular signals with hand signals. Last part of the test was hill start, parallel parking between cones and driving through a S corner without touch any cones and then reverse through the S corner.

I also notice that slow drivers tend to be the ones who dont use mirrors and drive pretty carefree. They use 2 -3 lanes to make a right turn. Brake when switching lanes. drive in the left lane 5 or more below speed limit. drift from their lane to the outside lane in a two lane signal turning lanes and when u honk them for coming over on u they look at you like why the hell u honking me!

I hope you are not one of those driver?
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 10:18 PM   #28
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tojo_m
Just seems that almost always the 3 blinks are over before I have completed the lane change.

Or maybe I need to be more aggressive while changing lanes
Swing lane changes faster.
I had to start doing that with the BMW...

M Performance Exhaust/Brakes/Suspension/LSD|Bav Stage 1/AMP||ER CP/IC/DP/OC | Dinan CAI/N55 PWG BIG TURBO|BMWF30.com
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 11:55 PM   #29
Tsuvoi
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ric124 View Post
I hope you are not one of those driver?
Not at all, don't worry about that. Over in western Europe you will find the highest driving standards in the world. Jamaica... Hand signals? Sounds like you got some "first-hand" experience when it comes to turn signals!

And to the other guy that says 3 blinks is fine and you need to change lanes as quickly as you can... Any sudden move on the road is dangerous as you don't give the other drivers ample anticipation time. Why do I have to explain that to anyone? This is very basic driving skills. Every day on the highway some dickhead thinks it's cool to suddenly change lanes right in front of my face and not even give me time to slow down in order to set proper spacing between his car and mine. Those things are second nature to me. If he was to brake hard during or right after the lane change I would rear-end him due to lack of safety space.

You have crazy stringent codes when building houses in the US... Yet there are no standards when it comes to driving! I don't even think you are requested to take 20-30 hours of driving with an instructor before even being allowed to pass the driving test unlike Europe.

Yes that's the reason why you can't drive more than 65 and there is no limit on the autobahn...
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2012, 12:08 AM   #30
DarkTrigger
Professional
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i MPPK

Quote:
Not at all, don't worry about that. Over in western Europe you will find the highest driving standards in the world. Jamaica... Hand signals? Sounds like you got some "first-hand" experience when it comes to turn signals!

And to the other guy that says 3 blinks is fine and you need to change lanes as quickly as you can... Any sudden move on the road is dangerous as you don't give the other drivers ample anticipation time. Why do I have to explain that to anyone? This is very basic driving skills. Every day on the highway some dickhead thinks it's cool to suddenly change lanes right in front of my face and not even give me time to slow down in order to set proper spacing between his car and mine. Those things are second nature to me. If he was to brake hard during or right after the lane change I would rear-end him due to lack of safety space.

You have crazy stringent codes when building houses in the US... Yet there are no standards when it comes to driving! I don't even think you are requested to take 20-30 hours of driving with an instructor before even being allowed to pass the driving test unlike Europe.

Yes that's the reason why you can't drive more than 65 and there is no limit on the autobahn...
California has a huge car culture and I think you cannot speak about everyone as driving the same. I was in Paris and those drivers are insane. They also get into a lot of accidents but don't care.

I've driven in downtown LA for years, one of the most congested places in the country second to only probably new york and I've never had an accident. Like one of the other guys was saying, it's best actually to not use turn signals here until after you start going into the lane.

Also, if you think we only drive 65 you're wrong. I was going from northern to southern california today going 95 mph and getting passed as if I was going too slow! No one drives the speed limit in Cali, no one. They post a speed limit so that you don't go too fast, like if it's set at 65, you drive 75, if it's set at 80, you go 90. Also, mind you the autobahn is very dangerous in terms of numbers of fatalities.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2012, 01:21 AM   #31
SwampCat84
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i Sedan

I hate it... just glad you can turn it off..... first thing I did before driving off the lot.. haha
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2012, 01:55 AM   #32
JUSKIDN
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 EBII 328i M Sport

+1