F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Advice on CPO 328i purchase..
Extreme Powerhouse

09-25-2017, 01:57 PM   #1
Auditobimmer42
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M340i

Advice on CPO 328i purchase..

Considering financing a 2013 CPO 328i w/ 37,150 miles. Listing price: 22981 I qualify for a recent grad incentive taking off 1500

Car has: Sport Package, Tech Package, Premium Package and Lighting package. CPO warranty expires July 2019.

So last Friday went in to look at car, looked pretty good and was happy with price so I agreed to come in the next day to make the purchase final after sleeping on it. I also wanted to come back with second set of eyes to really look over everything.

We noticed the back tires were bald. Usually I check that off the bat but because it was a CPO I was a little too trusting that the tires would have the required tread depth. They agreed to have service put some new tires on and because of this delay, said I would have to come back early this week.
My question is, is this a red flag and should i be worried? and would I have more power to negotiate due to inconvenience?

Way I see it, that CPO checklist could not have been followed properly if at all and it makes me feel a tad bit uneasy.

Also...if you had to choose between having Drivers Assistance or the Lighting Package...which would you go with?

I am coming from an audi, and LEDs are part of the identity. but with BMW I see SO many out there with no lighting package, I am wondering if I would even feel the regret? thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2017, 02:17 PM   #2
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.83]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.83]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
I've only bought CPO twice, both Audis, and in both instances I found issues with the car that needed attention that should have been discovered during the so-called CPO 120 pt inspection of whatever they claim it to be. I have a gut feeling CPO just means <X Years old, <X # of miles, OEM parts, and no major cosmetic damage. The inspection is probably superficial and half-hearted. Whatever the issues the new owner finds will be addressed under CPO warranty, and the ones they DON'T find are instances where the dealer never has to address.

Good on you for asking for tires. Make sure they are OEM.

What does Driver Assistance get you on that year F30? Keep in mind that the "Lighting Package" is not necessary for the HID lights. The Lighting Package is the adaptive aspect of the lights, not the lights themselves. Some F30s come with the HID lights without the Lighting Package. I think it depends on if it comes standard, like on the 340i.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 1
jeffc83722.00
      09-25-2017, 02:30 PM   #3
Auditobimmer42
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
I've only bought CPO twice, both Audis, and in both instances I found issues with the car that needed attention that should have been discovered during the so-called CPO 120 pt inspection of whatever they claim it to be. I have a gut feeling CPO just means <X Years old, <X # of miles, OEM parts, and no major cosmetic damage. The inspection is probably superficial and half-hearted. Whatever the issues the new owner finds will be addressed under CPO warranty, and the ones they DON'T find are instances where the dealer never has to address.

Good on you for asking for tires. Make sure they are OEM.

What does Driver Assistance get you on that year F30? Keep in mind that the "Lighting Package" is not necessary for the HID lights. The Lighting Package is the adaptive aspect of the lights, not the lights themselves. Some F30s come with the HID lights without the Lighting Package. I think it depends on if it comes standard, like on the 340i.
Lol exactly. I experienced that with a cpo audi I had. They missed some pretty blatant things. It made sense considering how fast they turned the car around after the previous owners lease ended.

But its camera and sensors. It would be a pain to be without that. And for that year it looks like the lighting package gives you angel eyes with xenons, and without it you get halogens that look like crap day and night lol. Just can't for the life of me find one with both.
Appreciate 1
jeffc83722.00
      09-25-2017, 02:46 PM   #4
jeffc83
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i XDrive Luxury Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyj24 View Post
Lol exactly. I experienced that with a cpo audi I had. They missed some pretty blatant things. It made sense considering how fast they turned the car around after the previous owners lease ended.

But its camera and sensors. It would be a pain to be without that. And for that year it looks like the lighting package gives you angel eyes with xenons, and without it you get halogens that look like crap day and night lol. Just can't for the life of me find one with both.
And on my previous CPO, the car was not only in a minor accident, the bumper clips used were from a FORD! Don't buy into that "fully inspected" crap they feed.

"Just Say No to drugs and Halogens"

That seat was meant to be used, are you going to deny it's purpose in life?
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2017, 03:15 PM   #5
anotheran
Sedan Driver
Canada
Rep
Drives: A nice car

I'd go lighting package. I custom ordered my F30 without driver assistance but included lighting package. I'm spec'ing out a F80 and want the adaptive lights just for the hexagonal headlights.

But if you drive in stop and go traffic every day, maybe the drivers asst would come in handy.

I'd still have a trusted mechanic inspect a CPO. In the end, it's a used car.

ZCP | ZHP | ZTR | ZE0 | MSport | ZMP | DHP | MStickerPack | THP | MPPSK | MPPK
BMW MSP Lightweight Jacket | DTM Motorsport Team Cap| BMW M Drift Cat 5 | BMW M Thermo Mug
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2017, 03:24 PM   #6
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 X1 28i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Considering financing a 2013 CPO 328i w/ 37,150 miles. Listing price: 22981 I qualify for a recent grad incentive taking off 1500

Car has: Sport Package, Tech Package, Premium Package and Lighting package. CPO warranty expires July 2019.

So last Friday went in to look at car, looked pretty good and was happy with price so I agreed to come in the next day to make the purchase final after sleeping on it. I also wanted to come back with second set of eyes to really look over everything.

We noticed the back tires were bald. Usually I check that off the bat but because it was a CPO I was a little too trusting that the tires would have the required tread depth. They agreed to have service put some new tires on and because of this delay, said I would have to come back early this week.
My question is, is this a red flag and should i be worried? and would I have more power to negotiate due to inconvenience?

Way I see it, that CPO checklist could not have been followed properly if at all and it makes me feel a tad bit uneasy.

Also...if you had to choose between having Drivers Assistance or the Lighting Package...which would you go with?

I am coming from an audi, and LEDs are part of the identity. but with BMW I see SO many out there with no lighting package, I am wondering if I would even feel the regret? thanks
You need to check the CPO expiration date; BMW just changed its CPO program from 6/100 to 5/unlimited.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2017, 03:25 PM   #7
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Keep in mind that the "Lighting Package" is not necessary for the HID lights. The Lighting Package is the adaptive aspect of the lights, not the lights themselves. Some F30s come with the HID lights without the Lighting Package. I think it depends on if it comes standard, like on the 340i.
Yes it is, on a '13 328.

Search around and see how many people regret not getting HIDs/Coronas; no one posts that they regret not having a back up camera.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2017, 03:51 PM   #8
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.83]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.83]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tex2670 View Post
Yes it is, on a '13 328.

Search around and see how many people regret not getting HIDs/Coronas; no one posts that they regret not having a back up camera.
What I mean is, Lighting Package is adaptive headlights, which happen to be the HID lights. You can get HID lights without the Lighting Package. On the 340i and the F80, for instance, you have HIDs standards, but not the Lighting Package. Yet all of them come with HIDs.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2017, 05:31 PM   #9
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tex2670 View Post
Yes it is, on a '13 328.

What I mean is, Lighting Package is adaptive headlights, which happen to be the HID lights. You can get HID lights without the Lighting Package. On the 340i and the F80, for instance, you have HIDs standards, but not the Lighting Package. Yet all of them come with HIDs.
True on a 428. But you cannot get a 328 of the MYs OP is looking at with HIDs unless it has the lighting pkg.
Appreciate 1
jmg18493.00
      09-25-2017, 05:56 PM   #10
otay
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i

Sounds like a good deal, especially with the $1500 off. Maybe ask them to replace all 4 tires? Boggles the mind that they would try to sell it as CPO with 2 bald tires. I've read the corporate CPO rules that BMW dealers have to comply with (95 pages!), and it's some serious shit (so they can get reimbursed). I'd be inclined to have an independent inspection, just for peace of mind.

Also would pick the lighting package over the back-up camera. The base lights are crap. If you really want a camera later, there are aftermarket options like this: https://www.bimmer-tech.net/bmw-rear-view-cameras/

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2017, 07:29 PM   #11
Beek
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Most folks crazy.

Based completely on comments on this Forum and with no personal experience I'd consider the CPO inspection these dealers perform about as reliable and trustworthy as any promise I've ever received from a car salesperson. Nothing beats a thorough inspection by a trusted independent technician.
      09-25-2017, 07:47 PM   #12
Auditobimmer42
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks everyone for the replies. Consensus seems to be that the CPO program isn't perfect so I will do my homework and press them for an inspection. If they push back I'll tell them that finding 2 bald rear tires did not exactly inspire confidence in their process.

On another note it has now been 2 full days since they sent the car to service. This has been the most lackadaisical car buying experience ever. Thought the goal was to get customers signing and driving as quickly as possible. Maybe they are making sure they actually perform an inspection this time and fixing some other things

And I think you guys convinced me to go with the lighting. I felt like you are not getting the most of a BMW w/o the iconic lighting but just wanted to make sure I wasn't alone in thinking that lol
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2017, 08:56 PM   #13
dsc888
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 340ix ///M Sport

I recently traded in a 2015 335ix Luxury Line, which was purchased as a CPO with only 6,600 miles. I too blindly trusted the inspection and all the TV commercials stating how good the quality was on these cars.

I had to go back multiple times to have these issues fixed/addressed...

1) gashes behind the driver's seat and passenger door (fixed by leather/detailer)
2) engine under tray ripped right below the oil pan (replaced after I complained twice)
3) fender and roof dings (Not fixed as I found them about a week and had no proof)
4) front wheels out of alignment (dealer re-aligned after I complained twice)
5) high speed vibrations that turned out to be bent rims (I had to pay wheel shop to straighten)
6) Rough idle with chassis shaking after restarting hot engine; had misfire codes (techs did "smoke" test and switched around plugs and coils...still an issue but better)
7) front bumper cam failure (replaced under warranty)
8) rear backup cam failure (replaced under warranty)
9) Tons of wood trim popping and rattling in hot weather and over bumps (dealer removed and shimmed trim but still not fully fixed)

I got a great deal on the car. That was the only positive. MSRP was $56,700 and I got it for $41,000 after only 1 year and with only 6,600 miles as a CPO Elite. But the issues wore on me as not all of issues were fixed and I had to pay to fix some of them because I didn't catch the issues before I bought.

So buyer beware. Don't fall for TV ads or be complacent. Definitely have a thorough pre-purchase inspection. And DON'T trust CarFax reports for anything more than the total number of owners prior to you. Dealers will delete accidents and edit entries. How do I know? I traded in an Acura TSX Sport Wagon that had 1 minor accident. But that information was not noted on the CarFax report when the dealer went to sell it after they reconditioned it. Also, all the dealer visits I made to have my cameras, rattles, gashes and rough idle addresses were listed as "Inspections". You need to ask the dealer to print out the ACTUAL service records before you buy. Good luck!

Last edited by dsc888; 09-25-2017 at 09:01 PM..
Appreciate 3
anotheran389.00
jmg18493.00
      09-26-2017, 06:49 AM   #14
Auditobimmer42
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsc888 View Post
I recently traded in a 2015 335ix Luxury Line, which was purchased as a CPO with only 6,600 miles. I too blindly trusted the inspection and all the TV commercials stating how good the quality was on these cars.

1) gashes behind the driver's seat and passenger door (fixed by leather/detailer)
2) engine under tray ripped right below the oil pan (replaced after I complained twice)
3) fender and roof dings (Not fixed as I found them about a week and had no proof)
5) high speed vibrations that turned out to be bent rims (I had to pay wheel shop to straighten)
6) Rough idle with chassis shaking after restarting hot engine; had misfire codes (techs did "smoke" test and switched around plugs and coils...still an issue but better)
9) Tons of wood trim popping and rattling in hot weather and over bumps (dealer removed and shimmed trim but still not fully fixed)

I got a great deal on the car. That was the only positive. MSRP was $56,700 and I got it for $41,000 after only 1 year and with only 6,600 miles as a CPO Elite. But the issues wore on me as not all of issues were fixed and I had to pay to fix some of them because I didn't catch the issues before I bought.

So buyer beware. Don't fall for TV ads or be complacent. Definitely have a thorough pre-purchase inspection. And DON'T trust CarFax reports for anything more than the total number of owners prior to you. Dealers will delete accidents and edit entries. How do I know? I traded in an Acura TSX Sport Wagon that had 1 minor accident. But that information was not noted on the CarFax report when the dealer went to sell it after they reconditioned it. Also, all the dealer visits I made to have my cameras, rattles, gashes and rough idle addresses were listed as "Inspections". You need to ask the dealer to print out the ACTUAL service records before you buy. Good luck!
Wow that sounds like a nightmare. I will be sure to do my part and seek out a second opinion
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2017, 07:12 AM   #15
otay
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsc888 View Post

Yikes. Looks like you stayed with BMW though. How's your 340 treating you?
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2017, 10:45 AM   #16
3Series
Private
Rep
Drives: 3 Series

There's a CPO checklist the tech goes over when certifying the car. Ask for that sheet than verify yourself. CPO is really a warranty, it's not a "bring this car back to almost new" process. If a dealer can get away with not fixing some stuff it's profit for them. The only reason they do cosmetic repairs is to move the metal.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2017, 10:52 AM   #17
JayPichardo
BMW Client Advisor
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Series View Post
There's a CPO checklist the tech goes over when certifying the car. Ask for that sheet than verify yourself. CPO is really a warranty, it's not a "bring this car back to almost new" process. If a dealer can get away with not fixing some stuff it's profit for them. The only reason they do cosmetic repairs is to move the metal.
What he said, some dealers will fix as little as possible. Anything that is not under warranty will eat unto their bottom line.

Top M Client Advisor in New England.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2017, 12:28 PM   #18
dsc888
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 340ix ///M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by otay View Post
Yikes. Looks like you stayed with BMW though. How's your 340 treating you?
Sharp eyes! I love it! It's what I wanted all along and realized in hindsight that I shouldn't have settled for a lesser car based on price alone. Being that it's a 2017 with the LCI updates, it rides and handles better and the brakes were improved despite being the same OEM pads and calipers as my 2015 335ix. I finally got sports seats, which are amazing. The B58 engine is a beast and turbo lag is virtually non existent compared to the N55 in my older car. And the HUD is just a joy to use and I rarely have to look down at the speedo anymore. So all in all, it was a good upgrade, especially considering how much time I spend his my car daily.

On the downside, I do have an occasional rattle from my front passenger door which seems to be common from the LED light strip and theres a knocking/helicopter sound from the fuel tank when it's super low on gas. I started a separate thread on this here in the forum but also a common occurrence but at least can be remedied with keeping the tank more than 1/4 full.
Appreciate 1
otay826.00
      09-26-2017, 12:51 PM   #19
Calvin36
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH_F36 View Post
What he said, some dealers will fix as little as possible. Anything that is not under warranty will eat unto their bottom line.
That's essentially it. CPO is just a safety net that if something does happen, we can have it fixed. Anything that doesn't get detected is money saved. Unfortunate, but that's how a business is run.

To get back on topic, DEFINITELY the lighting package! You NEED the angel eyes. I cannot emphasize how much better looking it is! The overall look just seems cheaper without the halos.
      09-26-2017, 01:18 PM   #20
Auditobimmer42
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvin36 View Post
That's essentially it. CPO is just a safety net that if something does happen, we can have it fixed. Anything that doesn't get detected is money saved. Unfortunate, but that's how a business is run.

To get back on topic, DEFINITELY the lighting package! You NEED the angel eyes. I cannot emphasize how much better looking it is! The overall look just seems cheaper without the halos.
Yeah, so far a CPO has never failed me in terms of the dealer actually upholding their end of the deal and fixing stuff that comes up. Great safety net to have.

But yeah I am convinced on lighting. It is such a shame it is hard to find them on the lots. All those basic leases coming back are a dime a dozen. Plus its definitely functional as well. I drove one w/o it for kicks yesterday and it was so bad. In my opinion dang near unsafe when you are used to bright adaptive/cornering headlights.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2017, 02:11 PM   #21
Calvin36
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i M Sport

Quote:
Yeah, so far a CPO has never failed me in terms of the dealer actually upholding their end of the deal and fixing stuff that comes up. Great safety net to have.

But yeah I am convinced on lighting. It is such a shame it is hard to find them on the lots. All those basic leases coming back are a dime a dozen. Plus its definitely functional as well. I drove one w/o it for kicks yesterday and it was so bad. In my opinion dang near unsafe when you are used to bright adaptive/cornering headlights.
Yea, seriously! My fiancé bought a F30 328 without the lighting package....... GOD how much I hate driving her car at night! Literally illuminates 10 feet ahead of the car only.

For me, I never had back up cameras or sensors.. so I just got good at parking and eyeballing it.. lol But you can't adapt to see in the dark better!
      09-26-2017, 07:56 PM   #22
Auditobimmer42
Private First Class
Rep

Update
Adviser let me know they put new tires on and are doing the inspection. So like some of you mentioned, sounds like they are in process of certifying it.
Appreciate 0