F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > Front Park Distance Control (PDC) Retrofit DYI
proTUNING Freaks

03-13-2015, 06:12 PM   #45
steelerfan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSnic View Post
SteelerFan,

I stopped when I saw the metal looking ring on the outside; I then painted with matching BMW touch-up paint that matches my car and then a light coat of the clear coat that came with the touch up paint set -- gotta' say that the touch-up paint is hard to work with!
Hmmm.. so the metal ring will be exposed 1st... (i sanded 4 sensors & that was the case). Then the color under the painted color was a black center... like in Roxxor's post.. but that layer will also go away & then it's the same shiny surface as the ring underneath. I need to get my sensors connected to the REM & then get it coded up to see if what I tried worked.

Totally agree about the touch-up paint. I felt it left brush stokes until i put it on thicker w/ several layers & then sanded down smooth. Came out okay, not what I had dreamed for by any stretch.

Do you recall what grit sandpaper you used?
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2015, 07:59 PM   #46
RSnic
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340Xi (G20)

Garage List
2020 BMW M340  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelerfan View Post
Hmmm.. so the metal ring will be exposed 1st... (i sanded 4 sensors & that was the case). Then the color under the painted color was a black center... like in Roxxor's post.. but that layer will also go away & then it's the same shiny surface as the ring underneath. I need to get my sensors connected to the REM & then get it coded up to see if what I tried worked.

Totally agree about the touch-up paint. I felt it left brush stokes until i put it on thicker w/ several layers & then sanded down smooth. Came out okay, not what I had dreamed for by any stretch.

Do you recall what grit sandpaper you used?
SteelerFan,

This is going to sound ridiculous, but based on friend who works at a body shop, I used fine rubbing compound -- heck of a lot, but didn't have to worry as much about deep scratches

2020 M340Xi| ZDA| ZDY| ZPP| ZPX| 1CR| 1PL| 688| 6NW| 2VFH|
Retired: 2014 328i
BMW CCA
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 02:20 AM   #47
VadikT
Russian Federation
Rep
Drives: BMW 316i (F30)

HellO!
Could i use set of rear pdc holder (51127312750) for installation front pdc?
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 06:30 AM   #48
steelerfan
Lieutenant
Rep

Do you have a M-sport front bumper? If so, you may want to see my post on the different brackets for M-Sport vs. non M-sport...

I didn't compare the 2 bracket holders between the front & rear but they look the same to me. Not sure if one is angled to contour the bumper both they all look flat except the M-Sport front bumper middle brackets
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 10:15 AM   #49
VadikT
Russian Federation
Rep

I have standard front bumper (not M-Sport)
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 09:27 PM   #50
steelerfan
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VadikT View Post
I have standard front bumper (not M-Sport)
Keep in mind I haven't done the front PDC install but when i compare the 2 pictures I can definitly see a difference in the brackets. (one seems more round & the other is more oval). I can't tell you if that would affect it.

Can i ask why try it if the front bumper PDC kit is $10 more than the part you proposing? Your drilling a hole in your bumper & your going to want this sensor to sit perfect or you will notice it every time you walk to your car, not sure tht is worth $10 savings? Not sure if it's an availability thing or not
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2015, 04:19 AM   #51
VadikT
Russian Federation
Rep

Thanx steelerfan,
you're right
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2015, 12:07 PM   #52
MoneyFor
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Just finished the retrofit for the front PDC, still have problems to code them, any help is welcome :-)
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2015, 01:28 PM   #53
RSnic
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M340  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyFor View Post
Just finished the retrofit for the front PDC, still have problems to code them, any help is welcome :-)
Money For,

If you already have rear PDCs, the you'll add 508 car's option list (SALAPA) in the FA/VO. Then VO code the car; it's recommended that you do all ECUs, but at least VO code REM, ICM, HU_NBT & FEM

That should do it

BMW CCA
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2015, 08:50 PM   #54
squidlyboy
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Alpine White 328i M-Sport

Interesting... when I pull up the "What If.." scenarios, in either case (front-only PDC or both front/rear PDC), it says REM, ICM, and HU_NBT only. My build is Aug 2013. I wonder if that has anything to do with it?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-23-2015, 09:42 PM   #55
RSnic
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M340  [0.00]
SquidBoy,

You're probably correct. I away and don't have my coding PC with me so I was doing it from memory

BMW CCA
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2015, 09:42 AM   #56
MoneyFor
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSnic View Post
Money For,

If you already have rear PDCs, the you'll add 508 car's option list (SALAPA) in the FA/VO. Then VO code the car; it's recommended that you do all ECUs, but at least VO code REM, ICM, HU_NBT & FEM

That should do it
Hi,

Thanks for replying, i had allready the rear PDC's and retrofitted the front. I added the 508 in SALAPA and tryed to VO code them into the car. But I ran in some problems that resulted in airbag en seatbelt errors. That is solved now so i can go back to try and code the front PDC's. My question is do I need to remove the 507 option and put only the 508 in them becase in my firt attempt I left the 507 also.

The best case was that the front PDC's worked after my coding but they did show up on the rear animation on the idrive and not on the front if you understand what I mean. While driving around coded like that some other options like my auto cruise control failed and the sound of the PDC went away completly. So i removed that coding and everything else just worked fine again.

gr K
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2015, 02:52 PM   #57
roxxor
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 iX50

Quote:
Hi,

Thanks for replying, i had allready the rear PDC's and retrofitted the front. I added the 508 in SALAPA and tryed to VO code them into the car. But I ran in some problems that resulted in airbag en seatbelt errors. That is solved now so i can go back to try and code the front PDC's. My question is do I need to remove the 507 option and put only the 508 in them becase in my firt attempt I left the 507 also.

The best case was that the front PDC's worked after my coding but they did show up on the rear animation on the idrive and not on the front if you understand what I mean. While driving around coded like that some other options like my auto cruise control failed and the sound of the PDC went away completly. So i removed that coding and everything else just worked fine again.

gr K
Yes, you would need to remove 507 from the list.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2015, 05:57 PM   #58
RSnic
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M340  [0.00]
Quote:
Hi,

gr K
Sorry I didn't answer sooner, but was away on a trip.

Roxxor provided a great recommendation

BMW CCA
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2015, 04:58 AM   #59
MoneyFor
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep

Garage List
Will try this and keep you all posted
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2015, 08:42 AM   #60
MoneyFor
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep

Garage List
Update:

I removed 507 and added 508, this went fine,
Coded HU_NBT , ICM and REM everything seems ok,

While trying it worked for about 2 or 3 seconds then the next error pops up in the idrive and dash:

View post on imgur.com

Parkassintence
No parking assistence, park your self, go to dealer.

This has nothing to do with autoparking but translated it seems so, just the rear camera works now and the park lines are gone and the 3d image from sensors also.

View post on imgur.com

I can ditch the error with Esys, ext app>transmitter>clear all dtc's but when i put the car in reverse or use the button next the gear shift the error pops up in about 2 or 3 seconds. But i can see that the front PDS are working on the 3D image for a brief moment.

So I tried to put the 507 option back in combination with 508 but that dont work at all, error while programming REM. So this leaves me the only opion to wipe the 508 again in the meanwhile untill someone can point me out what this error is and how to solved it.

I must say after loosing the 508, the front PDC's are working but showing on the rear PDC animation, weird...even the sound is working but this is very confusing and not good to leave it this way.

rg K
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2015, 10:21 AM   #61
roxxor
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 iX50

Quote:
Update:

I removed 507 and added 508, this went fine,
Coded HU_NBT , ICM and REM everything seems ok,

While trying it worked for about 2 or 3 seconds then the next error pops up in the idrive and dash:

View post on imgur.com

Parkassintence
No parking assistence, park your self, go to dealer.

This has nothing to do with autoparking but translated it seems so, just the rear camera works now and the park lines are gone and the 3d image from sensors also.

View post on imgur.com

I can ditch the error with Esys, ext app>transmitter>clear all dtc's but when i put the car in reverse or use the button next the gear shift the error pops up in about 2 or 3 seconds. But i can see that the front PDS are working on the 3D image for a brief moment.

So I tried to put the 507 option back in combination with 508 but that dont work at all, error while programming REM. So this leaves me the only opion to wipe the 508 again in the meanwhile untill someone can point me out what this error is and how to solved it.

I must say after loosing the 508, the front PDC's are working but showing on the rear PDC animation, weird...even the sound is working but this is very confusing and not good to leave it this way.

rg K
At this point, I can suggest only 2 options. First would be to apply the 508 VO Coding to every module just to make sure something didn't get missed, I know that this can be time consuming to have to go back and redo any coding changes you had made, but it shouldn't take more than 20-30 minutes.

The other thing that intrigues me is that you say the front sensor results are showing on the rear of the car on the display. Not sure that this would be a result of a VO code as if the car thinks it only has 507, it shouldn't be showing anything from the front sensors. Alternatively, this would lead me to believe that the wiring was possibly connected in the wrong spots. I would double check everything against the pin connection list, it is shown here in my Rear PDC DIY. The colors listed are the rear pins but its easy to identify the spots for the front ones.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2015, 07:32 PM   #62
stormlv
Human
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: Yes

Perhaps this may be a bit off-topic for the whole discussion but, perhaps someone could help me with an issue.

My front left side sensor for the PMA has been been replaced by the dealer.
The problem is that now the whole PDC system has stopped functioning.
What they told me is that they needed to order a new sensor because the one that they initially used was faulty.

In the meantime I finally managed to get Rheingold working, and was able to get the faults from my car.

It seems that the error given is this:
"8032F4 - Ultrasonic sensor for PMA, front left side: incorrect sensor version"

If we check here: http://www.bimmerpost.com/goodiesfor...e_Systems1.pdf

In section 7.2 (Notes for service) it says:
"After the PMA or an ultrasonic sensor has been replaced no start-up is necessary. However, the PMA checks with every start-up whether the sensor software is compatible with the control unit software. It this is not compatible, a corresponding fault is set in the PMA control unit. In this case the service function "update software of ultrasonic sensors" must be performed.

Given all this, I think my dealer is BS-ing me and
1) they're just incompetent
2) they're trying to steal from either me or BMW

So my first question is this: Am I paranoid?

And secondly, do you guys know if the update that the manual talks about can be easily done by me (and if so, how?)
2010 BMW Z4 sDrive35i DKG | 306 HP / 400Nm | Space Gray | Photo album
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2015, 11:50 PM   #63
MoneyFor
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxxor View Post
I would double check everything against the pin connection list, it is shown here in my Rear PDC DIY. The colors listed are the rear pins but its easy to identify the spots for the front ones.
Hi Roxxor,

The wiring was the first thing i double checked when my first attempt was failed. I even called the supplier from my retrofitharness to confirm the colorcoding/n° pins where correct.

Information from the supplier ( copied from BMW retrofit manual ) and the way it is connected

F30/F31 cars only
Connect branches A2–A7 as follows to plug A174*14B,
SW 54-pin socket casing, on REM A174:

- Branch A2, GN/WS cable, to PIN 48
- Branch A3, BR/WS cable, to PIN 36
- Branch A4, BL/RT cable, to PIN 53
- Branch A5, BL/SW cable, to PIN 40
- Branch A6, BL/BR cable, to PIN 41
- Branch A7, BL/GN cable, to PIN 52

Connect plug A174*14B to REM A174.

rg K

Last edited by MoneyFor; 04-05-2015 at 11:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2015, 04:23 AM   #64
hrvojehk
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 320d

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormlv View Post
Perhaps this may be a bit off-topic for the whole discussion but, perhaps someone could help me with an issue.

My front left side sensor for the PMA has been been replaced by the dealer.
The problem is that now the whole PDC system has stopped functioning.
What they told me is that they needed to order a new sensor because the one that they initially used was faulty.

In the meantime I finally managed to get Rheingold working, and was able to get the faults from my car.

It seems that the error given is this:
"8032F4 - Ultrasonic sensor for PMA, front left side: incorrect sensor version"

If we check here: http://www.bimmerpost.com/goodiesfor...e_Systems1.pdf

In section 7.2 (Notes for service) it says:
"After the PMA or an ultrasonic sensor has been replaced no start-up is necessary. However, the PMA checks with every start-up whether the sensor software is compatible with the control unit software. It this is not compatible, a corresponding fault is set in the PMA control unit. In this case the service function "update software of ultrasonic sensors" must be performed.

Given all this, I think my dealer is BS-ing me and
1) they're just incompetent
2) they're trying to steal from either me or BMW

So my first question is this: Am I paranoid?

And secondly, do you guys know if the update that the manual talks about can be easily done by me (and if so, how?)
If you decide to do it by yourself:
  • Calculate the test plan and Rheingold will offer you to do the Service Function. I don't know the exact steps because I'm not in my car right now.
Or:
  • Do it manually: Vehicle Management -> Service Functions -> Driver Assistance -> Park Assist systems -> Start search -> ABL, updating sw of ultrasonic sensors.

Good luck!

Last edited by hrvojehk; 04-06-2015 at 04:28 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2015, 06:58 AM   #65
stormlv
Human
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrvojehk View Post
If you decide to do it by yourself:
  • Calculate the test plan and Rheingold will offer you to do the Service Function. I don't know the exact steps because I'm not in my car right now.
Or:
  • Do it manually: Vehicle Management -> Service Functions -> Driver Assistance -> Park Assist systems -> Start search -> ABL, updating sw of ultrasonic sensors.

Good luck!
Hey, thanks for the tip.

I initially tried to do it manually, but the search doesn't list the "ABL, updating sw of ultrasonic sensors."

If I don't connect to the car, and just input the VIN number the option appears however. :|

I tried clearing the fault and seeing if the option appears, but again, no luck...

I then tried to see the test plan that it gives me.

I get to a point where it says:

"An incorrect sensor version was installed for the sensor PMA, front left side.

Install the correct sensor version, according to the Electronic Parts Catalogue (ETK)"

The last pages says:
"Replace the following ultrasonic sensors with new ones:

PMA, front left side"

Weirdly, in the catalogue, there's only one version of the sensor for my color: 66 20 9 261 617

What gives?
2010 BMW Z4 sDrive35i DKG | 306 HP / 400Nm | Space Gray | Photo album
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2015, 09:01 AM   #66
hrvojehk
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 320d

Are you sure that the dealer didn't replace the PMA sensor with a PDC ultrasonic sensor instead?
Appreciate 0