F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Can't get wheel bolts off.....
Extreme Powerhouse

05-24-2022, 07:48 AM   #1
sneeker418
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i GC

Can't get wheel bolts off.....

When I went to get my wheels changed we noticed that some of the passenger side bolts would not come out. We tried with an impact tool first and then with a breaker bar. One bolt was in so tight that it started to round so we put in a slightly smaller socket, hammered it in and tried to break it. To our surprise it broke the 1/2 driver bit of the breaker bar, would not budge at all. Not sure what to do at this point.

Does anyone have any recommendations of what to do. Any help is appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2022, 07:58 AM   #2
BMWILUVU
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 340ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneeker418 View Post
When I went to get my wheels changed we noticed that some of the passenger side bolts would not come out. We tried with an impact tool first and then with a breaker bar. One bolt was in so tight that it started to round so we put in a slightly smaller socket, hammered it in and tried to break it. To our surprise it broke the 1/2 driver bit of the breaker bar, would not budge at all. Not sure what to do at this point.

Does anyone have any recommendations of what to do. Any help is appreciated.
Squirt some liquid wrench into the wells and let it sit for a while. I would stick to the impact wrench if you are starting to strip it. What is the torque rating on your impact? My 2767 easily takes off stuck lugs.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2022, 08:31 AM   #3
erickonphoenix
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 Gray 328xi Touring

Whenever I had a stubborn lug, I'd back off and re-torque all the lugs, then work on the problem nut. Worse case scenario you could always weld a socket to it and extract it that way.
      05-25-2022, 12:15 AM   #4
WDE82
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 440iGC F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by erickonphoenix View Post
Whenever I had a stubborn lug, I'd back off and re-torque all the lugs, then work on the problem nut. Worse case scenario you could always weld a socket to it and extract it that way.
Not a bad idea. If the clamp of the other 4 lug bolts relieves some preload on the fifth, could help remove it. It will require overtorquing the other bolts quite a bit, but may be worth a try.

Liquid wrench isn't going to do shit.
      05-25-2022, 12:30 PM   #5
sneeker418
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWILUVU View Post
Squirt some liquid wrench into the wells and let it sit for a while. I would stick to the impact wrench if you are starting to strip it. What is the torque rating on your impact? My 2767 easily takes off stuck lugs.
I think it had over 1000 lb/ft of power but it didn't do anything. Something is clearly wrong , that it's been tightened that much.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2022, 12:32 PM   #6
sneeker418
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by erickonphoenix View Post
So take the other bolts off, put em back in, slightly over torque then work on the problem bolt?
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2022, 12:57 PM   #7
erickonphoenix
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 Gray 328xi Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneeker418 View Post
So take the other bolts off, put em back in, slightly over torque then work on the problem bolt?
yep exactly
      05-25-2022, 02:57 PM   #8
330d xdrive
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330dxdrive f30

Had the same problem and after hours trying finally loosened them with a extension breaker bar. Each and every wheel nut all dry as a bone so a little copper grease and now set at 120 N/m .. I'm not going through all that again. Hope it all works out pal
Appreciate 0