F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > My F31 330D M Sport Mineral Grey after a days cleaning
ARMA SPEED

12-20-2012, 01:36 PM   #23
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartrav View Post
Hi, sorry to ask an unrelated question but I am picking up my F30 330d msport tomorrow and wondered what you and others have done re running in the engine. There seems to be very conflicing info re running in of new cars engines these days so any advice comments would be greatfully received.

Thanks
Manual says maximum revs 3500RPM avoid kick-down for 1200miles

Salesman said drive it like you would normally

Some use the hard break in method (not as hard core as it sounds)

Your car choice is yours
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2012, 04:13 PM   #24
DieselRocket
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 435d M Sport

Hi Stuart,

You'll get several different strong camps of opinion on this, but I've recently moved to the 'thrash it hard from the get-go' camp. I mean that in a nice way, in that you get the car full warm, but then give it the full beans.

Someone else on this forum posted a link to a site on the rationale behind this. Anyway, my dealer said, just go drive it how you want to and forget about running in.

I picked up my 330d M Sport yesterday and it's quicker than I expected, having driven the F31 330d for my test drive. It goes far faster than any 3 litre diesel has any right to go, especially given it's BMW's lowest state of tune out of three variants.

Anyway, back on topic, I'd get your car warm and go rev it :-)
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2012, 03:15 AM   #25
RichardM
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: G21 M340i LCI

I didn't make any effort to run mine in either. I just drove it normally, and I have a heavy right foot!
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2012, 03:23 AM   #26
MarkW83
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport

I've also obsessively run my cars in properly as per the manual; however my old car is/was a 135i which was a dealer demonstrator and will obviously not have been run in at all, and will have been the sort of car to have been ragged from new. It has 14k miles on it and - needless to say - has been problem-free. Obviously any issues would likely show up after a lot more miles, but I just don't think it will be an issue.

As such, my 330d (collecting today) will be driven normally from when I pick it up, just letting the oil heat up before doing anything crazy, and trying to avoid kick-down wherever possible, but I'm not going to worry about it too much, just going to enjoy it Just be sensible and treat it with respect, but don't go overboard as it will just make you unhappy
      12-21-2012, 03:30 AM   #27
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Now thats what I call "GOING TO TOWN"
Well done Richard must have taken hours.
PS) I always snow foam my cars before touching them paintwork wise.