F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Reduction in low speed tyre/road noise
Studio RSR

04-04-2014, 04:35 PM   #45
vieri_c
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F10 535D M Sport Carbon Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30AM View Post
Without question there are definite problems with tyre roar and wind noise. I just cannot understand BMW's attitude or that of their dealers. There is huge variability between cars. Some of them seem badly built with ill fitting panels and huge panel gaps.

I do not think you are oversensitive to the problems of wind noise and tyre roar. It would drive me insane. I had my passenger front door properly aligned and I very carefully checked that all doors closed properly and aligned to perfection. I have little or no wind noise, which I did before I had these checks and adjustments. My particular car seems very well built, but our other car less so. BMW QC could definitely be better IMO.

I had a major problem with very baggy leather seats and it was a nightmare to get BMW to admit there was a problem. Then the passenger front seat base leather covering had to be changed as it suffered with a bald patch even though it was used only half a dozen times!

BMW's arrogant attitude is beyond belief. Their cars are good, but there are definite QC problems with the F30. No owner should be going through what you are being subjected to at the present by having to sort out this noise problem by yourself and without any decent support form BMW or their incompetent and unhelpful dealer.
Yes it has been slightly frustrating with regards to the response I had from my local dealership, having only paid lip-service to the road/wind noise issue.
I should have taken the car on a longer test drive prior to purchase, but I was too smitten with the rest of the car, I doubt I would have changed my mind.

As much as I love getting a 330D next, I am going to wait for the new c class and see if it lives up to the initial reviews regarding its supreme refinement.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2014, 04:41 PM   #46
F30AM
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport sDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by vieri_c View Post
Yes it has been slightly frustrating with regards to the response I had from my local dealership, having only paid lip-service to the road/wind noise issue.
I should have taken the car on a longer test drive prior to purchase, but I was too smitten with the rest of the car, I doubt I would have changed my mind.

As much as I love getting a 330D next, I am going to wait for the new c class and see if it lives up to the initial reviews regarding its supreme refinement.
The new C Class will probably be the most refined car in its class. It has a very low drag coefficient, does not ride on RFT, has the option of air suspension etc., etc. Now all they need to do is improve their engines. BUT, I still feel the F30 is a better looking car but only in M Sport guise.
      04-04-2014, 06:24 PM   #47
vieri_c
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F10 535D M Sport Carbon Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30AM View Post
The new C Class will probably be the most refined car in its class. It has a very low drag coefficient, does not ride on RFT, has the option of air suspension etc., etc. Now all they need to do is improve their engines. BUT, I still feel the F30 is a better looking car but only in M Sport guise.

Looks wise you are right, M sport really is the best looking, i still regret not getting it!.

The engine choices on the new c class is shocking, no 6 cyclinder option, and still soldering on with the 7 speed autobox when they have the 9 speed.

Tyre wise, the 19in will ride on RFT though. Seems more and more manufacturers are trying RFTs like Infiniti
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2015, 06:26 AM   #48
lordlen21
Rep
Drives: F31 320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyS View Post
That's great - I've been waiting for someone else to confirm what I found.

I've done a trip from West Sussex to Bristol and back today (first decent trip since discovering this), and the car really is quite a bit quieter. In particular, road surfaces like the concrete parts of the M25 are noticeably less noisy.

If you open the bonnet and look from the back of the front wings, through the vertical gap in front of the doors, you can actually see right through and out of the hole at the front, so it's got to be contributing to noise levels in the cabin from both the engine and front tyres. My next test is to fill the vertical gap with some backing rod which I'll get this week, and see if that helps any further.
I've been plagued by road roar and keen to try your mods; mine's a F31 320i so also missing the door foam. What did end up using in the wing holes? I've stuffed an old T-shirt in one side and a rolled up rag in the other to see if it makes a difference but I'm interested to find out if you deployed a more permanent solution or just let the rags in place?
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2015, 06:29 AM   #49
lordlen21
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mungogrubb View Post
TonyS, you're a genius!

Whilst sceptical i gave it a go yesterday, all the same and i have to say there is a noticeable reduction in engine and road noise.

Even ran a decible check using an iPhone app, ran at the same speed on the same road twice, one with 'rags' one without. Not scientific, i know, but wanted to see if i just wanted it to be quieter.

The results were interesting-mid point of results with rags= 74Db
without 83Db!
Hi,
I'm interested in your permanent solution or did you just leave the rags in place? I too have been struggling with high tyre noise on a 320i - which doesn't have the foam in the door likes the diesels - and interested in how you solved it permanently?
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2015, 10:10 AM   #50
TonyS
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordlen21 View Post
Hi,
I'm interested in your permanent solution or did you just leave the rags in place? I too have been struggling with high tyre noise on a 320i - which doesn't have the foam in the door likes the diesels - and interested in how you solved it permanently?
I've left mine with the rags stuffed tightly in place (I check every so often that they haven't come loose) and with the foam stuffed in the vertical gap in front of the doors. It's been like this for a long time now and the engine/tyre noise is acceptable now. I just wish I could say the same about the wind noise from the passenger's side window area. Interestingly the wind noise from the window is markedly reduced after it's rained, due I'm guessing to water filling the gaps and forming a temporary seal.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2015, 11:22 AM   #51
lordlen21
Rep

Quote:
I've left mine with the rags stuffed tightly in place (I check every so often that they haven't come loose) and with the foam stuffed in the vertical gap in front of the doors. It's been like this for a long time now and the engine/tyre noise is acceptable now. I just wish I could say the same about the wind noise from the passenger's side window area. Interestingly the wind noise from the window is markedly reduced after it's rained, due I'm guessing to water filling the gaps and forming a temporary seal.
Thanks for getting back to me and good to hear the rags have made a difference. I tried some in mine today and think it seemed quieter, did you ever explore trying to get hold of the foam inserts fitted to the diesels?
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2015, 11:33 AM   #52
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Quote:
I've been plagued by road roar and keen to try your mods; mine's a F31 320i so also missing the door foam. What did end up using in the wing holes? I've stuffed an old T-shirt in one side and a rolled up rag in the other to see if it makes a difference but I'm interested to find out if you deployed a more permanent solution or just let the rags in place?
Best way to solve road roar is ditching the RFT's! Michelin PSS are rated as quite a loud tyre, but compared to RFT's even they are much quieter.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2015, 11:48 AM   #53
lordlen21
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
Best way to solve road roar is ditching the RFT's! Michelin PSS are rated as quite a loud tyre, but compared to RFT's even they are much quieter.
I did think about it but didn't want the inconvenience and think the ride quality is good on the Sport. Made a massive difference on my old E91 330i SE though.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2015, 02:30 PM   #54
TonyS
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
Replacing the runflats is on my list, but I don't do mega miles so they are lasting annoyingly well. Maybe I need to drive faster, or do a track day
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2015, 02:32 PM   #55
TonyS
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for getting back to me and good to hear the rags have made a difference. I tried some in mine today and think it seemed quieter, did you ever explore trying to get hold of the foam inserts fitted to the diesels?
I looked at it briefly, but it looks like the inserts are put in during assembly, and would a right b*st*rd to fit with the limited access there is.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2015, 02:33 PM   #56
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: xxxx

I use the M54 a fair bit, so no matter the tyres, it's bloody annoyingly noisy.

It's been like that since it opened.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2015, 11:28 AM   #57
dangerous_al
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i G01 2020

I came across this post and decided to have a look at my LCI 330i. The holes mentioned in the original post in the engine bay are blocked off with some foam type bungs with a plasticised coating presumably to keep it waterproof. I also looked at the gaps in front of the doors between the wings and the body, and again these are filled with foam. So it looks like BMW have been looking at the road noise issue themselves and made some changes.

Last edited by dangerous_al; 08-28-2015 at 04:17 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2015, 11:31 AM   #58
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangerous_al View Post
I came across this post and decided to have a look at my LCI 330i. The holes mentioned in the original post in the engine bay are blocked off with some foam type bungs with a plasticised coating presumably tpo keep it waterproof. I also looked at the gaps in front of the doors between the wings and the body, and again these are filled with foam. So it looks like BMW have been looking at the road noise issue themselves and made some changes.
I think the BMW engineers just come on here, read how to solve the issues and go implement them.
Appreciate 1
      08-27-2015, 01:24 PM   #59
dicky.hillary
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G30 520D SE

That's about right. The road noise in my old F31 was just not funny.

Current : 2022 G05 X45e
Previous : G30 520D SE / F10 520D SE / F31 320 M-Sport Touring / E92 320D SE Coupe
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2015, 03:40 PM   #60
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by dicky.hillary
I would be eternally grateful if anyone comes up with methods of quietening the F31 down... my previous E92 had significantly less diesel clatter!
I find that premium diesel helps- Shell V Power Nitro or equivalent.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2015, 04:03 AM   #61
exocet
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i M Sport

Any chance of finding the part number on these? thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangerous_al View Post
I came across this post and decided to have a look at my LCI 330i. The holes mentioned in the original post in the engine bay are blocked off with some foam type bungs with a plasticised coating presumably tpo keep it waterproof. I also looked at the gaps in front of the doors between the wings and the body, and again these are filled with foam. So it looks like BMW have been looking at the road noise issue themselves and made some changes.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2016, 01:59 AM   #62
taranfx
Z4 35is
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 35is || 2016 435i

Smile

Quote:
Just as an update to this thread, as well as packing the large hole in the front wings I've now also packed the huge vertical gaps at the back of the front wings (in front of the doors), and immediately noticed yet another improvement in low speed engine/tyre/road noise. Driving around the local roads, the car now sounds more like I would expect a £40k car to be.

At higher speeds the objectionable wind noise is also decreased, although the buffeting sound is still there.

Why BMW only fit a seal into that gap on diesel cars is beyond me. I also don't really understand the whole design of the doors, where the door seals are well inboard of the door edges, so that there is a large expanse of the door that is completely open to the airflow and dirt being thrown up - just look at how dirty the front sills get. I'm convinced that the doors not being sealed at their edges (plus the huge panel gaps) is also where a substantial part of the wind noise comes from, not helped by the front wings that channel air, venturi-like, onto the doors - hence my mods making such a difference.
You're a genius! This worked.
I used wool insulation (used in wooden walls for insulating thermally).
What material do you recommend?
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2016, 02:09 AM   #63
Tom1s
Rep
Drives: e91

Hello

I found parts nr. 29 and 33 missing from my 328i. These parts are on diesel models only i think. Can anybody take a picture from these so I could look if could make or should I buy those.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=51_8669
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2017, 11:08 AM   #64
Big_CG
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5

So, does anyone have any other fixes to try that have been confirmed to reduce road noise? I plan on undercoating the plastic fender line on both sides and applying dynamat. Its baffling why BMW just had it sitting there exposed to the engine. Even base model VW's have the carpeted fender liner as its the most important source of road noise
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2017, 11:23 AM   #65
Im1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F10 520d se

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_CG View Post
So, does anyone have any other fixes to try that have been confirmed to reduce road noise? I plan on undercoating the plastic fender line on both sides and applying dynamat. Its baffling why BMW just had it sitting there exposed to the engine. Even base model VW's have the carpeted fender liner as its the most important source of road noise
There is not much hope in my opinion . I had this issue with my F30 so switched to F10 . Looking under the bonnet the sound proofing in the 5 /extra materials explain why it's so much quieter . I thought the 3 was a small 5 and made the mistake of not test driving it on the motorway where the road noise levels are irritatingly high
Appreciate 0