F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > (NEED HELP) Strange FAN noise?
proTUNING Freaks

05-01-2024, 10:34 AM   #1
David Kunitz
Mr OEM
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 335i

Garage List
(NEED HELP) Strange FAN noise?

Good day all!

My used 2012 F30 335i makes a very weird fan noise and it sounds like it is coming from behind the climate buttons.

It is not the main climate control fan as I can not feel any air out of the vents and it is not the CD player spinning around as that makes a different sound.

I am worried that it is some aftermarket thing that is draining my battery, it always turns on when I open a door or turn on the car's media.

Does anyone else have this, is it normal?

Your help would be much appreciated!

*Link to video of sound below*

https://youtu.be/QEzG2dGLZ18?si=P_zRu0gSa2I2HZm6

Regards,

David.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2024, 12:47 PM   #2
David Kunitz
Mr OEM
South Africa
Rep

Garage List
Anyone?
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2024, 01:13 PM   #3
thatgarrett
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i Sport

Garage List
2012 BMW 335i  [8.60]
How loud is that relative to other sounds in your car (like compared to the A/C blower on low or something)? Is it while the car is running, ACC on, or the phase when you open the car and it wakes up but you haven’t pressed start?

To me it sounds kind of like the hard drive spinning up (the head unit is located behind the climate panel) and it will pre-boot when the car is unlocked or a door open so it will be ready to go. I also have a noise kind of like that if I’m in ACC mode with engine off, I think linked to either DRL or headlights on while engine is off. I’ll listen closely next time I hop in my 2012 to see if it sounds the same as the video above stopped noticing all the sounds it makes when it turns on haha
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2024, 01:19 PM   #4
David Kunitz
Mr OEM
South Africa
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatgarrett View Post
How loud is that relative to other sounds in your car (like compared to the A/C blower on low or something)? Is it while the car is running, ACC on, or the phase when you open the car and it wakes up but you haven’t pressed start?

To me it sounds kind of like the hard drive spinning up (the head unit is located behind the climate panel) and it will pre-boot when the car is unlocked or a door open so it will be ready to go. I also have a noise kind of like that if I’m in ACC mode with engine off, I think linked to either DRL or headlights on while engine is off. I’ll listen closely next time I hop in my 2012 to see if it sounds the same as the video above stopped noticing all the sounds it makes when it turns on haha
Much appreciated!

The sound comes on whenever a door or bonnet is opened, or an electrical component is activated, such as the radio or lights.

When I start the car I can't hear it but it usually switches off after about 10 seconds I'd say, sometimes it doesn't stop spinning.

If I do put my head near it while driving I can faintly hear it, but I guess the road and engine noise cancel it out.

Many thanks once again for the advice!
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2024, 03:50 PM   #5
Shirazkhan
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: bmw

Remove the fuse for the radio/hu and see if the noise is still there.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2024, 12:49 AM   #6
David Kunitz
Mr OEM
South Africa
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirazkhan View Post
Remove the fuse for the radio/hu and see if the noise is still there.
Very good idea!

I will try to locate it and see what happens!

I should also mention, my car doesn't have sport displays on the i-drive, so clearly someone has messed with the i-drive or computer at some point, perhaps someone changed the head unit for an incorrect or older version and now this noise has appeared?

Anyways, thanks for the information, will definitely give this a go!
Appreciate 0