F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > F30 Glass soft?
GetBMWParts

01-28-2013, 08:08 PM   #23
jamesh
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5

I guess we're straying too far from the point. The OP mentioned swirls and webs in the glass, which is a cosmetic issue. I just hope bmw's cost cutting efforts don't compromise the reputation that they've built up.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2013, 11:21 PM   #24
BlauWeiss
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: F30 335i RWD

What irritates me is that my car with less than 500km / 1 month old has a scratched up driver side window. I can feel the scratches when I run my fingers across them. The kicker is that the car has only been driven in very fair weather (no winter conditions, mostly dry weather). Picture of Fuyao glass:

Name:  premature wear.jpg
Views: 1078
Size:  109.8 KB

The worn-looking leather on all seats and the rust underneath the seat don't add to the confidence in quality. Having said all that, at least there have been no electrical/mechanical defects, and it's a blast to drive.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 04:34 AM   #25
jamesh
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5

So far just the f30. I hope it stays that way. Those pictures show inexcusable lack of quality.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 08:05 AM   #26
335BBS
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 335 coupe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlauWeiss View Post
What irritates me is that my car with less than 500km / 1 month old has a scratched up driver side window. I can feel the scratches when I run my fingers across them. The kicker is that the car has only been driven in very fair weather (no winter conditions, mostly dry weather). Picture of Fuyao glass:

Attachment 813141

The worn-looking leather on all seats and the rust underneath the seat don't add to the confidence in quality. Having said all that, at least there have been no electrical/mechanical defects, and it's a blast to drive.
That glass is brutal and so is the underside of that chair. If you don't want your seats to look like that then you need to order vinyl......thats what leather does. In BMWs quest to stay at the top have they started cutting corners etc.? Lots of frustration/anger in the forum.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 10:45 AM   #27
Elk
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335BBS View Post
If you don't want your seats to look like that then you need to order vinyl......thats what leather does.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 11:07 AM   #28
335BBS
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elk View Post
I think they look fine too.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 11:15 AM   #29
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Many

Quote:
Picture of Fuyao glass:

Attachment 813141
So what exactly did you do to the glass? Glass doesn't just get scratched up like that without someone doing something they shouldn't have. NO glass will hold up to rubbing something abrasive all over it.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 12:10 PM   #30
335BBS
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianFanatic View Post
So what exactly did you do to the glass? Glass doesn't just get scratched up like that without someone doing something they shouldn't have. NO glass will hold up to rubbing something abrasive all over it.
Looks like it was cleaned with a Brillo pad!
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 01:00 PM   #31
Jit_340i
South Africa
Rep
Drives: Glacier Silver F30 335i

Hi. I took delivery of my f30 335i this weekend and I'm shocked at the quality of the windscreen and glass in general. Lots of swirls and marks. My car finished production on 18/01/2013 at Rosslyn so it's definitely coming straight from the factory like that. It's dangerous to drive this car at night due to the poor visibility. My previous e92 made in Germany had a flawless windscreen for at least 4 years.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 04:06 PM   #32
steveL77
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrajpaul View Post
Hi. I took delivery of my f30 335i this weekend and I'm shocked at the quality of the windscreen and glass in general. Lots of swirls and marks. My car finished production on 18/01/2013 at Rosslyn so it's definitely coming straight from the factory like that. It's dangerous to drive this car at night due to the poor visibility. My previous e92 made in Germany had a flawless windscreen for at least 4 years.
Yup this is the reason I made this thread. I have the same issue. It's fine during day time driving but as soon as oncoming traffic lights hit the glass at night visibility is horrible. Other than the glass problem the car is outstanding.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 04:26 PM   #33
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
Rep

Are you guys sure the glass is actually clean? Glass can be polished pretty easily. Return to your dealer and ask that it be polished to remove the marks. It sounds to me like someone wasn't careful when washing it either at the dealer or the VPC.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2013, 03:05 AM   #34
Jit_340i
South Africa
Rep
Drives: Glacier Silver F30 335i

I've clayed the glass and tried using BMW glass polish with poor results. The problem is definitely the glass and not the wipers. I suspect it needs a machine polish.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2013, 12:06 PM   #35
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrajpaul View Post
I've clayed the glass and tried using BMW glass polish with poor results. The problem is definitely the glass and not the wipers. I suspect it needs a machine polish.
I don't think using a claybar on glass is a very good idea. Glass isn't as hard and abrasion resistant as paint. For one, it's not intended to do anything for scratches. If anything, it'll CREATE them. It's sole purpose is to remove contaminants that are on the surface. It's also a first step prior to polishing for the sole purpose of removing contaminants in an effort to avoid grinding them into the paint as you polish. The damage caused by the clay is polished away. This isn't quite as easy with glass. There's a very high potential for doing more harm than good with clay unless you really know what you're doing.

The BMW glass polish (or any other consumer product) isn't intended to remove scratches. It's really only a cleaner. You can take care of very light scratches and haze with products like Bon Ami and Bar Keeper's Friend which are very mild cleansers. Anything deep enough to catch a fingernail will require more aggressive abrasives such as cerium oxide. But beware, you can quickly do far more harm than good if you're not experienced doing this. Glass isn't nearly as forgiving as paint.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2013, 12:14 PM   #36
dude987
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i xDrive M-Sport DHP

Quote:
I think you should set your car on fire in front of your local dealership in protest.
Lol +1
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2013, 01:29 PM   #37
buildbright
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 MG

Quote:
I don't think using a claybar on glass is a very good idea. Glass isn't as hard and abrasion resistant as paint. For one, it's not intended to do anything for scratches. If anything, it'll CREATE them. It's sole purpose is to remove contaminants that are on the surface. It's also a first step prior to polishing for the sole purpose of removing contaminants in an effort to avoid grinding them into the paint as you polish. The damage caused by the clay is polished away. This isn't quite as easy with glass. There's a very high potential for doing more harm than good with clay unless you really know what you're doing.
A claybar is fine on glass with proper lubrication. Detailers use it all the time to remove water spots. I get great results with it all the time. Its very easy and anyone can do it.

Glass is much harder than paint. Hence why paint polish won't correct glass and the need for Cerium Oxide.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2013, 02:52 PM   #38
BlauWeiss
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: F30 335i RWD

Quote:
Yea I wanted to see what happened if I used a Brillo pad on the glass :P

The only thing I've done to the glass since taking delivery at the dealer is lowering the windows (relatively frequently), and that's where the deep vertical scratches are most likely from. I will try to somehow clean the part the glass slides against to ensure there is nothing stuck in there..

If it gets worse, I'll certainly take it back to the dealer..
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2013, 04:09 PM   #39
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildbright View Post
A claybar is fine on glass with proper lubrication. Detailers use it all the time to remove water spots. I get great results with it all the time. Its very easy and anyone can do it.

Glass is much harder than paint. Hence why paint polish won't correct glass and the need for Cerium Oxide.
This is something many folks fail to understand which is why I warn against it unless you really understand how to do it properly. Water spots are nothing more than a build-up of lime, calcium and other minerals on the surface of the glass. They're not defects or scratches in the glass itself that you're trying to "polish" out.

My point was that people automatically think of glass as being really hard and durable. They don't understand that something as simple as rubbing against glass coated with dirt, sand or anything abrasive can scratch and gouge the glass fairly easily. And it's not a simple matter to "buff it out".
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2013, 04:13 PM   #40
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yea I wanted to see what happened if I used a Brillo pad on the glass :P

The only thing I've done to the glass since taking delivery at the dealer is lowering the windows (relatively frequently), and that's where the deep vertical scratches are most likely from. I will try to somehow clean the part the glass slides against to ensure there is nothing stuck in there..

If it gets worse, I'll certainly take it back to the dealer..
Ironically, Brillo (steel wool) won't necessarily hurt glass so long as there isn't a bunch of dirt and crap on the glass for the steel wool to grab and drag.

Vertical scratching is definitely the result of something lodged in the window felt/weatherstripping. Lower the window all the way and give the felts a good wipe to dislodge whatever is stuck in there. If you get scratches on the inside of the glass, there's probably something in the door that's out of alignment.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2013, 06:05 PM   #41
buildbright
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 MG

Quote:
This is something many folks fail to understand which is why I warn against it unless you really understand how to do it properly. Water spots are nothing more than a build-up of lime, calcium and other minerals on the surface of the glass. They're not defects or scratches in the glass itself that you're trying to "polish" out.

My point was that people automatically think of glass as being really hard and durable. They don't understand that something as simple as rubbing against glass coated with dirt, sand or anything abrasive can scratch and gouge the glass fairly easily. And it's not a simple matter to "buff it out".
Lube makes everything better
Appreciate 0