F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Bluetooth - device list showing as empty but existing phone still (half) connected
Extreme Powerhouse

01-07-2018, 07:05 PM   #1
Garth2079
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 Comp Manual

Bluetooth - device list showing as empty but existing phone still (half) connected

Hi everyone,

Apologies if this is in another thread. I had a search but couldn't find anything.

I have a 09/2012 335i F30 with CIC. Until a week ago I had 3 devices paired via bluetooth (2 x android, 1 x iPod) all working fine.
A few days ago my daughter paired her iPod, but it took a while and eventually failed. She tried again, and it showed failed on the car display but the iPod was connected. She was able to stream music and we thought no more of it.

The next time I tried to connect my android phone (one of the two android devices that had been working fine), it wasn't working correctly. I went to the car's bluetooth menu and it showed 4 empty slots and asked me to pair a device. But, at the same time, the top of the display showed the signal strength bar from my phone, and the spinning circle while it tried to download the contacts.

I couldn't delete the phone pairing from the car, because it wasn't listed so there's no unpair option. I told my phone to forget the car, and then tried to pair it again. The pairing failed, but again I could see the signal strength.

When I use the steering wheel button, the display tells me to connect a phone. But, if I make a call from my phone, it is sent via the car's speakers in handsfree mode. If i receive a call, the car chimes and the missed call icon appears if I don't answer. Whilst the phone is ringing the display shows incoming call from "Device: ???".

If I go into "external devices" from the car's menu, I can see my phone, named correctly, and I can stream music, even skipping tracks. But it's still missing from the bluetooth menu. If I stream a track, then delete the pairing on the phone, the music stops. I then pair it again and the music resumes through the car, even though the car says the pairing failed (and the phone says it worked).

I tried pairing a 5th device, since there were 4 "empty" slots in the hope of clearing the bad settings, but the pairing failed.

I also tried leaving the car overnight so it would shut down the system completely. Exactly the same.

The car is running MX-003.005.004 and TX-003.005.008. I tried downgrading to MX-003.004.031 and TX-003.004.031, still the same. Upgraded back to MX-3.5.4 and TX-3.5.8, still the same. It looks like the media component is working but the telephone component only half-working.

I'd like to a) get a proper fix or b) wipe out all bluetooth seyyings and pair my phone from scratch. BMW's "genius" is stumped and wants me to visit the dealer, and can't say if it will be chargeable or not.

I have access to e-sys but don't know what settings I could change to wipe it and don't want to make things worse.

So, I think I have covered all the basic "off and on" / "unpair and re-pair" options. If you know how to wipe the bluetooth settings on the car, I'd love to hear from you.

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2018, 07:06 PM   #2
Garth2079
Australia
Rep

For anyone seeing the same problem, I found a solution. Whilst the "Bluetooth (Telephone)" section listed 4 empty slots, the "Bluetooth (Audio)" section showed the devices correctly. I think this is because the "TX" and "MX" software (Telephone and Media) run separately, and only the telephone software had the problem. Because the devices were listed in the Media section, I was able to delete them from there. Once deleted, I was able to pair my android phone again. The IOS 10 device that we tried to pair just before the problem occurred again failed to pair, so I won't be trying that again until BMW bring out a software update.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2018, 02:30 AM   #3
sukhdip
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F30

bluetooth problem

hello just read you info. could you please tell me how you got to unpair the bluetooth from media
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2018, 02:21 AM   #4
Garth2079
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukhdip View Post
hello just read you info. could you please tell me how you got to unpair the bluetooth from media
Hi,

I detailed the process in my previous post in this thread. In short, your phone will be paired as both a phone and as a media device (to play music). If you go in through the media menus on the iDrive, you'll see your Bluetooth devices. Delete them there and that also clears the phone section so you can re-pair the phones.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2018, 05:42 PM   #5
hallonmunk
Sweden
Rep
Drives: Glacier Silver 328i 2012

I have the same problem, my phone gets connected halfway. I can stream audio, but i can't make calls. i can't see my device in the list, not in the phone- bluetooth list and neither in the media meny.

I've tried resetting the firmware in the car and also coding my bluetooth via E-sys. but no luck, i am hoping for a fix for this problem.
Appreciate 1
      08-31-2018, 06:45 PM   #6
marmit2017
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 535i 13 328i xDrive

I have a 2011 535i and am experiencing the exact same issue. How can you delete a device from the media section? Do you go to external devices select option and delete it from there?
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2018, 11:48 PM   #7
marmit2017
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hallonmunk View Post
I have the same problem, my phone gets connected halfway. I can stream audio, but i can't make calls. i can't see my device in the list, not in the phone- bluetooth list and neither in the media meny.

I've tried resetting the firmware in the car and also coding my bluetooth via E-sys. but no luck, i am hoping for a fix for this problem.
Did you find a resolution? Because I tried to delete it from the media list like he mentioned but couldn't find a way or option to do so
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2018, 05:00 PM   #8
Dakotya
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

Has anyone else found a resolution. This happened to me, however both my Telephone and Media pages show an empty list.

I have been trying to resolve this for a few days now.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2018, 09:00 AM   #9
marmit2017
Captain
United_States
Rep

Thanks for replying, no one, but anyways I found a resolution. For me, at least, a friend tried to connect their phone to my Bluetooth and that's when it stopped working. There wouldn't show any devices on either lists but the Bluetooth audio would still connect and my phone would show up in the external devices list, just not the Bluetooth devices.

So what turned out happens was that my friends iPhone had an emoji in the device name. THAT DAMN EMOJI. So I had her delete the emoji off of her name then reconnected her phone and behold, all of the previous phones on my device list showed up!!
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2018, 12:47 PM   #10
Dakotya
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmit2017 View Post
Thanks for replying, no one, but anyways I found a resolution. For me, at least, a friend tried to connect their phone to my Bluetooth and that's when it stopped working. There wouldn't show any devices on either lists but the Bluetooth audio would still connect and my phone would show up in the external devices list, just not the Bluetooth devices.

So what turned out happens was that my friends iPhone had an emoji in the device name. THAT DAMN EMOJI. So I had her delete the emoji off of her name then reconnected her phone and behold, all of the previous phones on my device list showed up!!
Thank you for an update. I will try this tonight as I believe the brother in law when connected his phone had an emoji too.

I will keep everyone posted.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2018, 12:52 PM   #11
marmit2017
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakotya View Post
Quote:

Thank you for an update. I will try this tonight as I believe the brother in law when connected his phone had an emoji too.

I will keep everyone posted.
Just be sure to remove the emoji off his phone then try to connect his, and that should solve it. THEN never let anyone connect to your Bluetooth lol
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2019, 03:28 PM   #12
amenkes
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 328i (F30)

Quote:
Just be sure to remove the emoji off his phone then try to connect his, and that should solve it. THEN never let anyone connect to your Bluetooth lol
I can agree to this! I was dealing with the same issue for weeks until I ran across this post.
One of my friends had their Bluetooth paired with my car and recently changed their display name by putting an emoji next to it. Couple weeks ago they repaired it with my car and ever since then none of the Bluetooth functionality would work. My phone was able to connect to the car but there would be no devices displayed under the Bluetooth list.

I had my friend remove an emoji off of their Bluetooth display name repaired it with my car and everything works fine.

I guess it goes to show that BMWs CIC HU is not compatible with Emojis
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2019, 11:43 AM   #13
Logicoeur
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 335i xDrive

To bump this back up. Just updated my X to 12.1.x and no devices show in the Idrive, media or telephone.

I can delete on the phone side but not car side. Pairing starts normally, phone shows its connected after entering the pin, but Idrive hangs on "connecting..." Until it times out and throws an error that something happened.

What's weirder is that Idrive shows my signal and that there's an external media device with proper name, music plays fine, incoming calls play fine, making calls from my phone play fine, but I can't make a call using the car any more.

Tried toggling all the Bluetooth settings in Idrive, leaving thr car overnight, and even toggling Bluetooth telephone via Bimmercode.

Just saw the hard reset via the mute button. Will try that next. No access to ISTA though.
F30 335iX | Remus Axleback | Fabspeed Catted DP | VRSF Comp IC | 18X9 ET35 19lb MT1 | 255/40/18 ECS | Ohlins RT Millway Street | Millway Control Arm Bushings | Turner Endlinks | TMH 75mm 14x1.5 Studs | BMW MPerf LSD | XDelete | Pipercross Filter | MHD Stg2 93
Appreciate 1
F30sam6.00
      01-17-2019, 02:20 PM   #14
F30sam
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 320i XDrive

Same issue here
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2019, 12:19 PM   #15
amenkes
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 328i (F30)

delete the emoji off the device name of the last connected device. it fixed this issue for me. just delete the emoji and reconnect it with that same phone.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2019, 07:55 AM   #16
udrus
Registered
Rep
Drives: F30

Hello everyone. I have the same problem. But my friend with her phone is far away now, so I cant reconnect her phone anymore. Help me please, what can I do?
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2019, 01:17 PM   #17
Marcin1979
Registered
Poland
Rep
Drives: Bmw F30 EF

Witam,

Ostatnio miałem sparowane 2 urządzenia tj. samsung galaxy note 3 i galaxy i s8 Plus. Do auta podłączyła się moja córka z iPhone 8 aby zapodać muzykę.
Ona się nie sparowała a mojeurządzenia znikneły z listy , jednak odbierać połączenia mogłem.

Rozwiązanie :

Sparować fake telefon i usunąć z listy i wszystko wraca do normy
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2019, 03:27 PM   #18
joesoul
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 328i 2.0 Turbo

For what it's worth, I had the same issue. IPhone XS that just showed "connecting" when I attempted to add it (2012 BMW 328i CIC). It would eventually error out, telling me that it could not connect to a previous phone. Turns out that our beloved BMWs (or at least mine, in this case) doesn't like it when you have an emoji in the device name. I use the alien head emoji on all of my Apple devices, so out of curiosity I renamed my phone (Settings > General > About > Name) and it connected! Now, time to figure out how to get bluetooth audio working without a dongle lol!
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2019, 09:57 PM   #19
NTG88
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logicoeur View Post
To bump this back up. Just updated my X to 12.1.x and no devices show in the Idrive, media or telephone.

I can delete on the phone side but not car side. Pairing starts normally, phone shows its connected after entering the pin, but Idrive hangs on "connecting..." Until it times out and throws an error that something happened.

What's weirder is that Idrive shows my signal and that there's an external media device with proper name, music plays fine, incoming calls play fine, making calls from my phone play fine, but I can't make a call using the car any more.

Tried toggling all the Bluetooth settings in Idrive, leaving thr car overnight, and even toggling Bluetooth telephone via Bimmercode.

Just saw the hard reset via the mute button. Will try that next. No access to ISTA though.

I’m having this same problem. Just bought the car yesterday and tried to connect Bluetooth via iDrive but it just says “connecting” forever then times out. This happens on both the telephone & music features. I’ve tried forgetting and repairing multiple times and the phone WILL connect and play music and I can make calls, I can even control the music from the steering wheel, but my phone won’t show up on the Bluetooth list of devices. I even updated the software, still not working. I have an iPhone X, with no emoji in the name.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2019, 10:00 PM   #20
Logicoeur
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 335i xDrive

Then another phone with an emoji in the name has connected before. You have to figure out what phone that is and change it's name. Then reconnect.
F30 335iX | Remus Axleback | Fabspeed Catted DP | VRSF Comp IC | 18X9 ET35 19lb MT1 | 255/40/18 ECS | Ohlins RT Millway Street | Millway Control Arm Bushings | Turner Endlinks | TMH 75mm 14x1.5 Studs | BMW MPerf LSD | XDelete | Pipercross Filter | MHD Stg2 93
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2019, 10:04 PM   #21
NTG88
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i Coupe

Quote:
Then another phone with an emoji in the name has connected before. You have to figure out what phone that is and change it's name. Then reconnect.
Even if all the slots are blank? I just bought the car from the dealer yesterday, and I’m assuming they reset everything cuz all the slots are empty. So my phone connecting would technically be the “1st” phone to show. And if that’s the case then I’m kinda outta luck cuz the car has had previous owners
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2019, 10:36 PM   #22
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTG88 View Post
Quote:
Even if all the slots are blank? I just bought the car from the dealer yesterday, and I’m assuming they reset everything cuz all the slots are empty. So my phone connecting would technically be the “1st” phone to show. And if that’s the case then I’m kinda outta luck cuz the car has had previous owners
Go back to Dealer and have them show you.

Salesman should have paired phone for you.
Appreciate 0