F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Retrofit comfort access?
Studio RSR

04-08-2015, 12:22 AM   #45
f30GTR
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 AW F30 335i M-Sport MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidlyboy View Post
I have some additional info too, but there are some discrepancies/questions:

1) From the Comfort Access wiring diagram, it shows that the driver-side electronic outer door handle module connects to 173*3B in the FEM, but from the pinout descriptions, I cant for the life of me find which pins are for CA. Take a look at that last table on the bottom and see if you can find any applicable pins.

2) There are a ton of interior/exterior aerial antenna's but for the purpose of the door handles only, i'm not sure which ones apply. Why so many? From the description it sounded like different model cars will have different sets of antennas.. but not sure what the criteria is for having more/less antennas are... I didn't include them all, so that's why roxxor's info is slightly different than mine. I mainly included the ones for the door handles.

3) The door handle I get. The door latch I get. But there seems to be some 3rd sensor/module of some sort connected to the door handle module that is required. What is this part for? It seems to be mounted on the inside of both driver and passenger side doors...

Some initial observations:

1) There's going to be a s*** load of wiring required. At least 3, maybe 4 connectors will be affected. You will be living and breathing FEM.
2) Antennas have a pair of wires each. Each one will have to be run into one of the 173*xB connectors, depending on how many will be hooked up. Better buy a lot of extra pins.
This is starting to making more sense. So A173*4B deals with the 2 internal antennas I found in my car and I think we are pretty sure these deal with the convenience access which is the keyless start. A173*9B seems to be all dedicated to comfort access. A173*3B deals with everything else. So if I don't have anything plugged into the slot where A173*9B then we will know for sure that there is no pre-wires for CA at all. If that is the case I think wet can put this to bed unless we can find the harness with the plug and all we have to do is run the cables around the car.
To be honest I don't see why bmw would pre-wire for that since it seems they have separated these functions on purpose so it can be easily installed at the factory based on the order.

2) I think we will need an extra internal antenna and 3 external antennas. 2 in the side skirts and 1 in the rear bumper. The extra internal antenna goes in the cargo trunk area by the fuse box.
3) I'm not sure I see them. What is the label from the diagrams?

Last edited by f30GTR; 04-08-2015 at 12:33 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2015, 12:51 AM   #46
squidlyboy
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Alpine White 328i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by f30GTR View Post
So if I don't have anything plugged into the slot where A173*9B then we will know for sure that there is no pre-wires for CA at all. If that is the case I think wet can put this to bed unless we can find the harness with the plug and all we have to do is run the cables around the car.
Yeah, that's a good way to do it. If you don't mind getting at your FEM, and shining a flashlight on there, you should be able to see if at least 173*9B is there or totally not there... just as a sanity check

Quote:
Originally Posted by f30GTR
2) I think we will need an extra internal antenna and 3 external antennas. 2 in the side skirts and 1 in the rear bumper. The extra internal antenna goes in the cargo trunk area by the fuse box.
3) I'm not sure I see them. What is the label from the diagrams?
2) How do you figure you need all the antennas? I guess I don't fully understand the concept.. I thought this technology was capacitive interference such that it detects whether your hand is close to the door handle. If so, what are all the other antennas needed for?

3) Its the bottom of the first pic.... where they showed the exposed door and you can see the inside skins. The module is marked in blue (for driver's side) and is located right by where the door hinges are. The label doesn't really say anything about it. It just shows the location of this thing in the picture.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2015, 01:07 AM   #47
f30GTR
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, that's a good way to do it. If you don't mind getting at your FEM, and shining a flashlight on there, you should be able to see if at least 173*9B is there or totally not there... just as a sanity check

2) How do you figure you need all the antennas? I guess I don't fully understand the concept.. I thought this technology was capacitive interference such that it detects whether your hand is close to the door handle. If so, what are all the other antennas needed for?

3) Its the bottom of the first pic.... where they showed the exposed door and you can see the inside skins. The module is marked in blue (for driver's side) and is located right by where the door hinges are. The label doesn't really say anything about it. It just shows the location of this thing in the picture.
2) the antennas just detect the key and send the ID to FEM to verify that the key is legit, the one that is assigned to the car.
3) X28*1B would be the connector that goes from the door to the car. It looks like a hose or must cars would run the wire with no break between the door and chassis. Bmw had a plug to separate the harnesses I guess for easy repairs.

We can definitely get to the bottom of this.
We have gotten a lot further than before.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2015, 01:23 AM   #48
squidlyboy
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
2) the antennas just detect the key and send the ID to FEM to verify that the key is legit, the one that is assigned to the car.
3) X28*1B would be the connector that goes from the door to the car. It looks like a hose or must cars would run the wire with no break between the door and chassis. Bmw had a plug to separate the harnesses I guess for easy repairs.
Hmmm ... i figure you (and the keyfob) could only be standing directly right in front of door handle in order to use keyless CA entry. I thought you have to sort of wave your hand in the handle area. i can't see a person being close to where those other antennas are located to do keyless entry. Wouldn't you just need an antenna by the door handle for keyfob verification?

I actually assumed X28*1B was the retrofitted latch.... but wasn't sure. I was referring to X108*1B. Thats the part that made me scratch my head
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2015, 09:16 AM   #49
f30GTR
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Hmmm ... i figure you (and the keyfob) could only be standing directly right in front of door handle in order to use keyless CA entry. I thought you have to sort of wave your hand in the handle area. i can't see a person being close to where those other antennas are located to do keyless entry. Wouldn't you just need an antenna by the door handle for keyfob verification?

I actually assumed X28*1B was the retrofitted latch.... but wasn't sure. I was referring to X108*1B. Thats the part that made me scratch my head
For CA there is no waving. You have to grab the handle in order to unlock. The waving is done on the back for the trunk since there is motion sensor there. For the door you have to put your thumb on these groves that come with the new handle that has CA and your other 4 fingers on inside of the handle. To lock you can just place one finger on the groves and it will lock the car. I know what you are thinking, this is useless but for the lazy people you don't have to search for your key in your pocket.

Aftermarket system work with proximity and unlock your car because it's easier to integrate and no additional hardware is need like in our case we need new door handles.

As far as X108*1V that only shows the break down of the cable. Different sets of cables go into different directions.

My only concern here is if a new locking mechanism is needed. When I had the door torn apart I checked what goes toward that side and I found 7 cables. 2 were going to the LED and 5 go into the locking mechanism. The 2 cables for the LED did break out before the mechanism instead from the mechanism. The thing that got me thinking is that the 5 cables were in a plug that had space for 7. When I unplugged to see the pins on the locking mechanism there were only 5 pins with no additional holes for extra pins. That doesn't mean that a new mechanism isn't needed or needed. It just means that usually plugs with extra empty holes means more features can be added. Looking at the electrical diagram it does say the locking mechanism is connected to the door handle on pin 1 (or pin 4) and another cable goes into FEM. So I think roxxor is right about additional locking mechanisms needed. The unfortunate thing is that realoem shows the same part number. Not to disappoint but if new locking mechanism is needed this would be really cost prohibitive as the door handles are $175, harnesses $100, locking mechanisms $175. Extra 2 antennas at $45 each. That is $1000 assuming the main wiring harness that goes into FEM and antennas is there and it does not include the trunk opener.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-08-2015, 11:12 AM   #50
f30GTR
First Lieutenant
Rep

I guess I stand correct. It looks like I have locking mechanism part # 51217202146 which has the alarm since my car is 335i and no comfort access. In the picture you can see there is pin 1,2,3 and 4 and 5 are missing and 6 and 7 are there.
In the other picture which is part # 51217202143 and it has the option for alarm and comfort access it has all 7 pins. So this is definitive proof that a new locking mechanism is needed aside from door handle and new harness.
Still there is hope though. If the main harness is in the car we can always try to wire just one door and see if we get away with just that.

roxxor was definitely 100% correct on needing a new locking mechanism. I misread the realoem diagram.
Attached Images

Last edited by f30GTR; 04-08-2015 at 12:02 PM..
Appreciate 1
      04-08-2015, 11:58 AM   #51
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

I do not think that you need a new driver's door harness as there is only one listed regardless of S322A (CA). What I do think is that the CA locking latch makes the driver's side harness CA-ready once plugged in.

For sure, the driver's side handle and the CA latch are required (your car seems to have the OEM alarm and the theftproofing device together, thus those missing pins). For the driver's side antenna, a new custom 2-wire harness is required -from pins 9 and 27 at the A173*9B connector of the FEM to the driver's door sill location of the antenna.

That should work for the driver's side only after coding.

Last edited by Technic; 04-08-2015 at 12:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2015, 12:39 PM   #52
f30GTR
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
I do not think that you need a new driver's door harness as there is only one listed regardless of S322A (CA). What I do think is that the CA locking latch makes the driver's side harness CA-ready once plugged in.

For sure, the driver's side handle and the CA latch are required (your car seems to have the OEM alarm and the theftproofing device together, thus those missing pins). For the driver's side antenna, a new custom 2-wire harness is required -from pins 9 and 27 at the A173*9B connector of the FEM to the driver's door sill location of the antenna.

That should work for the driver's side only after coding.
Realoem shows 1 harness for the driver side but I am assuming if there is separate harness based on features for the passenger side why aren't there different harness for the driver side? Realoem is just missing the info?

And yes you are correct only 2 wires for the antenna straight from FEM which should be fairly easy unless you get too OCD of where the cables go.

From the door handle we will need 2 cables to go to FEM and 1 to the passenger door unless we can get away without connecting them and also that cables needs to connect to this KI.30F (still don't know what it is ) Also one from the locking mechanism to FEM and 1 from the locking mechanism to door handle. It would be nice if i don't have to go down the route of making my own wiring. I will need plugs, pins and know where each cables goes to exactly what. For example pin 9 from FEM would go to which pin on the antenna? We need the pin outs for the antenna. But in all you are definitely correct a custom wiring can be done considering we can find the plug for FEM and having lots of beer and time.
Attached Images

Last edited by f30GTR; 04-08-2015 at 12:45 PM..
Appreciate 1
      04-08-2015, 01:07 PM   #53
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Realoem shows 1 harness for the driver side but I am assuming if there is separate harness based on features for the passenger side why aren't there different harness for the driver side? Realoem is just missing the info?

And yes you are correct only 2 wires for the antenna straight from FEM which should be fairly easy unless you get too OCD of where the cables go.
The harness at the driver's side supports CA standard, that is what it means.

Quote:
From the door handle we will need 2 cables to go to FEM and 1 to the passenger door unless we can get away without connecting them and also that cables needs to connect to this KI.30F (still don't know what it is ) Also one from the locking mechanism to FEM and 1 from the locking mechanism to door handle. It would be nice if i don't have to go down the route of making my own wiring. I will need plugs, pins and know where each cables goes to exactly what. For example pin 9 from FEM would go to which pin on the antenna? We need the pin outs for the antenna. But in all you are definitely correct a custom wiring can be done considering we can find the plug for FEM and having lots of beer and time.
Looking carefully at the FEM would be sufficient to determine which wiring is there or not. And if the driver's side harness is correct then the minimum wiring for the driver's side CA will be there except the antenna wires (2). The antenna wires pins should be shown at the wiring schematic that comes with the table diagrams in the system.

This should be enough for the driver's side functionality.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2015, 01:37 PM   #54
f30GTR
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
The harness at the driver's side supports CA standard, that is what it means.

Looking carefully at the FEM would be sufficient to determine which wiring is there or not. And if the driver's side harness is correct then the minimum wiring for the driver's side CA will be there except the antenna wires (2). The antenna wires pins should be shown at the wiring schematic that comes with the table diagrams in the system.

This should be enough for the driver's side functionality.
I've already checked the wiring in my door and there is no extra cables or plug for the door handle, that is why I question realoem for showing only 1 cable. I will know more today as I get access to FEM to see if there is even a A173*9B plug.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2015, 03:36 PM   #55
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
I've already checked the wiring in my door and there is no extra cables or plug for the door handle, that is why I question realoem for showing only 1 cable. I will know more today as I get access to FEM to see if there is even a A173*9B plug.
No connector at all plugged into driver's handle?
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2015, 03:58 PM   #56
f30GTR
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
No connector at all plugged into driver's handle?
Nope the only thing there is the cable for the LED on the keylock. I even traced the whole bundle of cables to make sure bmw didn't just zip tie it somewhere. I thought the harness might have the cables for CA because someone here mention that their dealer told them that the rattle from the door was from the CA cable which the person didn't have.

Last edited by f30GTR; 04-09-2015 at 12:16 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2015, 04:33 PM   #57
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Nope the only thing there is the cable for the LED on the keylock.I even traced the whole bundle of cable to make bmw didn't just zip tie it somewhere. I thought the harness might have the cables for CA because someone here mention that their dealer told them that the take from the door was from the CA cable which the person didn't have.
How many pins that cable has?
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2015, 05:20 PM   #58
f30GTR
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
How many pins that cable has?
There are 7 total that go toward the door handle but 2 break out for the LED and the 5 for the locking mechanism.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2015, 05:38 PM   #59
f30GTR
First Lieutenant
Rep

And here are the bad news. I've checked my FEM and the blue plug A173*9B does exist but I only have 5 cables that go into pins 50,51,52,53, and 54. No cables for pins 9 through 12, 15, 16, 27 through 30, 34 and 35. What this means is that if we were to try to retrofit CA we will have to wire it ourselves. Do i feel adventures? Yes, but not right now. I am planning to finish my PDC backup camera retrofit first and then I might tackles this. I might start with 1 antenna and wire the driver side door.

Oh, also FEM is short on pins on that side but it does seem like all the necessary pins are there for retrofit are there. As you can see there are 3 rows of 11 pins each where the connectors' housing can take up to 54 cables.

The plugs that go into FEM seem to be just housings that contain cartridges of each row of cables that is held by a cartridge. If you look in the picture where the pins are you can see 3 rows of pins. My connector only contains 1 row of 18 pin cartridge. I don't see 18 pin cartridge on realoem. Number 10 from the realoem diagram shows what the cartridges look like. Actually the images from ISTA on the previews page clearly show the cartridges work with the connector's housing
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...80&hg=61&fg=15
Attached Images

Last edited by f30GTR; 04-08-2015 at 05:45 PM..
Appreciate 1
      04-08-2015, 06:12 PM   #60
f30GTR
First Lieutenant
Rep

Squidlyboy, is there anything else more to this diagram? I want to figure out the pin out for the antennas. Your diagram shows the wiring for pins 33 and 34. I guess we need to figure out pins 9-12, 15-16, and 27-30. Anything would be helpful.

Also, i want to say big thank you to all that are contributing to this thread. Even though we might not have accomplished a whole a lot (yet) at least we are trying and honestly this is fun, but anyways big thanks to all.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-08-2015, 07:42 PM   #61
squidlyboy
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Squidlyboy, is there anything else more to this diagram? I want to figure out the pin out for the antennas. Your diagram shows the wiring for pins 33 and 34. I guess we need to figure out pins 9-12, 15-16, and 27-30. Anything would be helpful.

Also, i want to say big thank you to all that are contributing to this thread. Even though we might not have accomplished a whole a lot (yet) at least we are trying and honestly this is fun, but anyways big thanks to all.
Yah sorry... I forgot to post the most important diagrams of all.. the detailed pin outs for wiring each antenna to the proper connector in the FEM. Its all there, but the diagram is rather large, and I was trying to figure out how best to include it in this thread.

I guess you have to settle for it in parts. I tried to break it out and group it based on the connector. So you have:
  • A173*4B
    • Remote Control Receiver
    • Interior Aerial (Center Console) - Front
    • Interior Aerial (Center Console) - Rear
  • A173*9B
    • Exterior Aerial (Driver side)
    • Luggage Compartment Aerial
    • Bumper Aerial
    • Exterior Aerial (Front Passenger side)
  • A173*7B
    • Ring Aerial
    • A.S.S stuff (??? why is this is here ???)
  • A173*3B
    • Just power needed to driver side Electronic Outer Door Handle Module

Let me know if you see any mistakes and I can update this ...
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      04-08-2015, 08:08 PM   #62
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Where is the latch in those schematics?
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2015, 08:36 PM   #63
squidlyboy
Major
United_States
Rep

Really odd... but the latch/lock mechanism/module was not on the detailed "Comfort Access" wiring/schematic (above set of diagrams) that included the pin/wire numbers.

This Comfort Access diagram (below) was the only place I could find where it was even identified but there are no wire numbers associated with this particular diagram.

Looking at it though, it seems to have only two wires to it, and one is ground. I'm guessing the other wire that connects it to the FEM is an existing connection that is already there... pre-Comfort Access retrofit. That's my guess.

Roxxor... any inputs here? Maybe you can take a peek in your Rheingold and see if you can turn up something I may have missed...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-08-2015, 08:49 PM   #64
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

The missing piece in here is the 7-pin diagram of the CA latch. Both the CA driver's handle and antenna pins are properly identified already.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2015, 09:44 PM   #65
f30GTR
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Yah sorry... I forgot to post the most important diagrams of all.. the detailed pin outs for wiring each antenna to the proper connector in the FEM. Its all there, but the diagram is rather large, and I was trying to figure out how best to include it in this thread.

I guess you have to settle for it in parts. I tried to break it out and group it based on the connector. So you have:
  • A173*4B
    • Remote Control Receiver
    • Interior Aerial (Center Console) - Front
    • Interior Aerial (Center Console) - Rear
  • A173*9B
    • Exterior Aerial (Driver side)
    • Luggage Compartment Aerial
    • Bumper Aerial
    • Exterior Aerial (Front Passenger side)
  • A173*7B
    • Ring Aerial
    • A.S.S stuff (??? why is this is here ???)
  • A173*3B
    • Just power needed to driver side Electronic Outer Door Handle Module

Let me know if you see any mistakes and I can update this ...
Woohoo. Thanks squidlyboy. That covers it. Now I need to buy some of the male and female pins to see which one fits into the plugs. Also need to find the 36 pin cartridge that would go into the blue connector for FEM.

Last edited by f30GTR; 04-09-2015 at 12:22 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2015, 10:12 PM   #66
f30GTR
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Really odd... but the latch/lock mechanism/module was not on the detailed "Comfort Access" wiring/schematic (above set of diagrams) that included the pin/wire numbers.

This Comfort Access diagram (below) was the only place I could find where it was even identified but there are no wire numbers associated with this particular diagram.

Looking at it though, it seems to have only two wires to it, and one is ground. I'm guessing the other wire that connects it to the FEM is an existing connection that is already there... pre-Comfort Access retrofit. That's my guess.

Roxxor... any inputs here? Maybe you can take a peek in your Rheingold and see if you can turn up something I may have missed...
Weird if you look at the locking mechanism I posted it looks nothing like the one in rheingold. The one in rheingold shows that the led and the door handle connect directly to the locking mechanism through separate connectors. Mine the led wires break out before the wires get to the locking mechanism. Googling the part numbers for the locking mechanism seems the e90 used the same ones.
Appreciate 0