F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Drivetrain malfunction
Studio RSR

09-04-2016, 12:30 AM   #1
1mpg
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Drivetrain malfunction

Hey guys,

Just purchased a JB4 from a forum member and ran into some issues with the install. I have an EWG N55. Once I had everything plugged in to the the car I updated the firmware to the most recent version (successfully). The car cranked and barely started before stalling and throwing a drivetrain malfunction and going into limp mode. I removed the jb4 completely but the drivetrain malfunction isn't going away. Pulled the codes and it's throwing P0238 and C0700. It looks like my MAF sensor went out. I'd really appreciate it if anyone could confirm or offer any advice on getting this issue resolved. Thanks!

Edit: as an added note, the jb4 would not connect to my laptop after updating the firmware.

Last edited by 1mpg; 09-04-2016 at 12:35 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2016, 10:48 PM   #2
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1mpg
Hey guys,

Just purchased a JB4 from a forum member and ran into some issues with the install. I have an EWG N55. Once I had everything plugged in to the the car I updated the firmware to the most recent version (successfully). The car cranked and barely started before stalling and throwing a drivetrain malfunction and going into limp mode. I removed the jb4 completely but the drivetrain malfunction isn't going away. Pulled the codes and it's throwing P0238 and C0700. It looks like my MAF sensor went out. I'd really appreciate it if anyone could confirm or offer any advice on getting this issue resolved. Thanks!

Edit: as an added note, the jb4 would not connect to my laptop after updating the firmware.
Sounds like you let the jb4 board touch the positive terminal and it burned it out. You need to go on n54tech.com and pm or email Terry.

You may need a new EWG board.

Did you install it with the battery still connected?
      09-05-2016, 04:18 PM   #3
Mike@N54Tuning.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Canada
Rep

Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1mpg View Post
Hey guys,

Did you disconnect the battery when you installed?

Mike
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2016, 03:42 PM   #4
1mpg
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Thanks for the replies everyone. The battery was disconnected during install. I spoke with Terry and turns out I had to run a ground to the tmap sensor. All is well and the JB4 is running great.
Appreciate 0