F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > 340i or 340i xDrive?
GetBMWParts

08-12-2015, 11:37 AM   #1
redwing497
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: None yet

340i or 340i xDrive?

Hi everyone. New here and my first created topic. So, I realize this is kind of early, but my current lease on my Honda Accord is up in February. I can technically drive it until the middle of March. With that said, I may be able to put off purchasing winter tires this coming winter on my 340.

With that said, I want to lease the 340 for 3 years and, living in the northeast, AWD and/or winter tires are basically a must. However, here's my issue.

Both the xDrive and non-xDrive come with mixed performance tires. I want a set of the 19's in the M Sport package. So, even if I get an xDrive, I'll still need winter tires. Obviously winter tires on an xDrive would be fantastic in bad weather and would be pretty good on a RWD 340.

So either way I go, a winter tire purchase has to happen. I get much enjoyment out of driving, and the "purity" of BMW RWD appeals to me. However there is something to be said about the safety and stability of xDrive. This car will be my daily driver. Spirited driving for sure but no track days and probably rare twisty mountain/country road runs.

Things I like about the xDrive: grip, faster acceleration because of traction, would be GREAT in the snow with winter tires.

Things I like about RWD 340: lighter, lower ride height (i think), weight distribution, how a BMW is "meant" to be (whatever that means lol). It will be decent in the snow but not nearly as good as xDrive.

This will be my first ever BMW and far and away the most expensive car I've ever leased/owned. Are the driving dynamics between these 2 models that much different in everyday (good weather) driving? Can use 335 as a reference of course.

Just want to get some opinions from people who've had experience with BMWs. Thanks guys.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2015, 11:52 AM   #2
teapain
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i XDrive

You can always lower the xdrive and upgrade to Dinan Shockware software if you have M Adaptive suspension (not sure if thats an option on Xdrive) for a firmer, more sporty/rwd ride.

I have rwd 335i but love awd for its weather utility. plus, traction on launch means you save a good .2-3 seconds off 0-60 while my rwd struggles for traction.

But if you're gonna get awd, you'd get an audi, wouldnt you? BMWs are supposed to be balanced and rwd so you can "play" with the rear.

Last edited by teapain; 08-29-2015 at 05:06 PM..
Appreciate 1
      08-12-2015, 02:24 PM   #3
mkrup87
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 340xi M Sport 6MT

Came from an S4, have a 340i xDrive on order. Like you, I actually came from an Accord before my S4--had an EX V6 6-speed coupe that I loved. The 340 is going to have both the M Sport and Track Handling packages, along the the 19"s. For both the S4 and now the 340, Bridgestone Blizzaks for winter are a must with summer sports for the summer (though this time I'm going to be smart and get a set of winter rims as well--my S4's rims got dinged a little bit with each tire swap, and it added up over time). If you've got the M Adaptive suspension, I think you should be just fine. As teapain said, you can always go with the Dinan shocks and software (I'm toying with the idea). I have friends with xDrive bimmers though and they're perfectly satisfied as-is.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2015, 04:28 PM   #4
NightWriter
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Pure

You can find no shortage of RWD vs. xDrive, winter tires vs. all-seasons, both here and more generally for all cars. Bottom line is: In the slick stuff, _nothing_ beats AWD + dedicated winter tires. So even though I'm in the mid-Atlantic area (i.e. not Fargo), we get about 8-10 snow events each year, and it's important for me to be able to get to work and feel secure driving kids around, so I'm getting the xDrive with track handling package (summer tires) and then investing in an extra set of wheels + winter tires. YMMV.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2015, 04:41 PM   #5
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i M Sport

Garage List
If you are already on board with having a winter set of wheels and tires there is only one answer - RWD.

//close thread
member #388003 - Use me as a referral
& you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!

08-12-2015, 05:14 PM   #6
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
If you are already on board with having a winter set of wheels and tires there is only one answer - RWD.

//close thread
+1. RWD + winter tires.

I lived in NJ most of my life. In NJ, you'll be fine with RWD and winter tires.

I have a 335i RWD with the Michelin X-Ice Xi3. It's in the same category as the Blizzak WS series - studless winter tire. It's deep snow traction isn't as good as the WS, but it's definitely better than all other performance winter tires. The X-Ice Xi3 is one of the only (if not only) H-speed rated studless winter tire.

If I had to go with AWD, the nod would go to the Audi S4 for it's AWD system that is performance oriented. The S4's Quattro has a Torsen center diff with an active torque vectoring rear differential. The xDrive is just not there yet and it's a compromise in the handling department.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2015, 05:23 PM   #7
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Drive both so that you can notice any differences that you may like or not like.
If X drive is for you, then add $2K to the price.

I wouldn't use the slightly quicker off the line as an important factor however.
Yes it's nice that it's there, but there is also the added friction of the system that then lowers MPG even when you have no need for AWD as it's always "on".

As for tires, that is a much debated topic.
Go with your experience with tires that work in your area.
For me in the very flat region of the Chicago area I run the highest performance all season tires I can get.
I use that tire type all year round and I've been using that type of tire since the 80's, and I've had no problems with getting stuck anywhere.
This has been true for the FWD, RWD, and AWD cars I've had.

I've had 2 Audi's with quattro, many FWD's, and my new 340i will be my 4th BMW.
All BMW's are/were RWD and ran on UHP AS tires.
My current favorite is the Conti DWS. They have tested as the best AS tires for light snow use and my experience mirrors the reviews.

With the Audi's I also ran UHP AS tires and with AWD the traction is quite nice and fun.
Dedicated snow tires on the snow are always the best choice with any drive configuration.
The caveat is "on the snow". I don't like snow tires when there isn't snow on the roads.
Around the Chicago area that's the great majority of the winter. Snow gets cleared fairly quickly especially on the main and major roads. Once cleared of snow snow tires suck as they are loud and squishy and wear quickly while getting lower MPG.

The newer "winter performance" tires sound pretty cool. I've never used/tried them and am considering trying a set perhaps with my new 340i.
They are supposed to be more of a cross between a true snow tire and an all season, and they come in higher performance levels.
They are supposed to be much quieter on cold dry or wet roads when there is no snow on them, yet have a good bit greater snow grip vs all seasons.
I can't say for sure, but I may know more this coming winter if I try them.

I offer my experience with RWD and UPH AS tires year round as a data point that all is well with that setup. I never feel out of control nor have been in danger of skidding off into a ditch as some people seem to think WILL happen if one doesn't use dedicated snow tires in the winter.
Again, an important factor for me is that I drive on relatively flat road surfaces with very little elevation, and on fairly straight roads.
And, I don't do performance driving when there is snow on the roads.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2015, 06:00 PM   #8
secretanchitman
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 F82 M4 6MT

Garage List
I would personally stick with the 340i and get either all seasons or dedicated winter and summer tires. xDrive is nice if you live in a snowy climate, want better off the line performance, the security of AWD, and better traction in general (DHP helps as well).

This is coming from someone who has driven an E46 RWD with all seasons, an E92 RWD with dedicated summer tires and winter tires, and an F10 AWD with all seasons.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2015, 08:36 AM   #9
snelldogg
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: New to the stable. G87 BG, 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo08816 View Post
+1. RWD + winter tires.

I have a 335i RWD with the Michelin X-Ice Xi3. It's in the same category as the Blizzak WS series - studless winter tire. It's deep snow traction isn't as good as the WS, but it's definitely better than all other performance winter tires. The X-Ice Xi3 is one of the only (if not only) H-speed rated studless winter tire.

If I had to go with AWD, the nod would go to the Audi S4 for it's AWD system that is performance oriented. The S4's Quattro has a Torsen center diff with an active torque vectoring rear differential. The xDrive is just not there yet and it's a compromise in the handling department.
Said perfectly. I too live in NJ and have dedicated Snow Tires (Dunlop Wintersport 3D's) and rims. For most snowfalls and ice this is more than sufficient. I ditched the runflat summers and went with Conti DW and am very happy thus far.

Good luck

2023 G87 BG, 6MT, Bi Color, Red Calipers
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2015, 09:11 AM   #10
bahasad
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30, E90

+ 1 to the RWD + winter tires setup from a former NJ resident. My F30 is Xdrive, I wish it was RWD.
      08-19-2015, 09:17 AM   #11
RedlinePSI
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something else

Quote:
Originally Posted by teapain View Post
You can always lower the xdrive and upgrade to Dinan Shockware software if you have M Adaptive suspension (not sure if thats an option on Xdrive) for a firmer, more sporty/rwd ride.

I have rwd 335i but love awd for its weather utility. plus, traction on launch means you save a good .2-3 seconds off 0-60 while my rwd struggles for traction.

But if you're gonna get awd, you'd get an audi, wouldnt you? Bmws are supposed to be balance and rwd so you can "play" with the rear.
Is something wrong with my 335i? Are you saying that you can break the tires loose just by flooring it? If I put the car in Sport+ and smash the gas, all that happens is the car grabs and goes like a rocket. I never tried launch control if that's what your referring to. Or are you totally turning traction control off? From what I understand though, Sport+ should have the same effect as long as the car doesn't get too sideways.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2015, 09:51 AM   #12
F30lolz
I can haz cheezburger?
Rep
Drives: 14 Sahara/08 335xi/22 Maverick

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post

//close thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo08816 View Post
+1. RWD + winter tires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahasad View Post
+ 1 to the RWD + winter tires setup from a former NJ resident. My F30 is Xdrive, I wish it was RWD.
I'll join the bandwagon on this. I used to live an hour and change north of NYC were I would get slammed with snow. Even though I had the 325xi back then I would use my e28 with snows while my e34's and e39's stayed in the driveway. Just get the RWD and get the snows
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2015, 10:16 AM   #13
bimmercar
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 340xi

If you are not needing 4 doors, I would also recommend to look at the M235, it feels more fun to drive in my opinion, also the x-drive version is very rwd biased, and its suspension is as good as the rwd version. I think the awd M235i is as fun as the rwd version. I switched from M235xi because i needed a 4 door sedan.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2015, 10:34 AM   #14
ska///235i
***** noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: 325xi>M235i>428GCx Mspor

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
Oh no, not this shiet again!!
Appreciate 2
      08-19-2015, 10:54 AM   #15
IllLojik
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: //'12 F30 328i\\

If you really want the RWD version. Go for it. Either car is fun in its own right.
I drove my RWD e90 in NY with Blizzaks W60 years ago and had Zero issues. I just came from a W204 (Benz C350) RWD after one of the worst winters NY has seen in years. I only had some "decent" all seasons, however I weighed down the trunk and again, had Zero issues.
Just be mindful of your speed and the conditions, don't drive like a dick and you'll be fine.

Think about this, 20+ years ago, most cars were RWD with NO traction control or e-nannies. Don't let the RWD in bad weather myth scare you. Proper preparation and good sense >> *
      08-19-2015, 11:24 AM   #16
JK479
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: I6-> iX

Xdrive!

With M Adative its a sharp carver. And 8 speed and Xdrive equal a faster more stable car off the line.

If you track the car there is always another car for that person.

Take it from experience, if you need to ask, you need Xdrive. Maybe its not that steep hill with ice that will do you in. Its the corner on a day when it hasn't snowed and ice is hidden. Bam, all wheel drive kicks in and you never know it.

All seasons and xdrive is a nice compromise. Tires are cheap too
Appreciate 1
      08-19-2015, 11:28 AM   #17
ji99lypuff
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 bmw 328xi

Id say if you dont have an extra suv to use in the winter months, xdrive is pretty key to getting around. My xdrive got me through some pretty nasty stuff this past winter without a sweat.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2015, 11:31 AM   #18
redwing497
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: None yet

Thanks, everyone for your insights. Considering I'd have to get a set of winters no matter which model I choose, I've elected to go with the RWD 340i. I like the lower ride height, weight distribution and not to mention $2,000 less. I will never be driving in very deep snow, so I'm confident a 340i with a winter tire setup will be just fine. I also won't be doing any traffic light hole shots so xDrive benefits of off the line traction don't mean much.

As an S2000 owner, I'm familiar with driving RWD cars. I did get caught in some snow once with it and with my winter tires on there, I had no trouble whatsoever. Even getting up the hill on my street. Now I just have to play the waiting game until my current lease it up. I'll have to figure out the best time to order the car so there is minimal overlap.

Can't wait for the look on the salesperson's face when I don't order an xDrive. Honestly, EVERY SINGLE newer 3,4, and 5 series I see in this area has xDrive.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2015, 01:51 PM   #19
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwing497 View Post
Thanks, everyone for your insights. Considering I'd have to get a set of winters no matter which model I choose, I've elected to go with the RWD 340i. I like the lower ride height, weight distribution and not to mention $2,000 less. I will never be driving in very deep snow, so I'm confident a 340i with a winter tire setup will be just fine.
That's exactly why I got the RWD version too.

And yeah I had to order mine because finding a RWD F30 on the lot in January in the area is pretty much impossible.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2015, 03:51 PM   #20
Bassthe1st
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 330i xDrive M Sport

Something nobody ever mention, tire wear is pretty even all around with x-Drive while on the RWD the back tire will wear much faster than the front.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2015, 10:30 PM   #21
MishkaPerformance
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 550i

In my opinion, RWD plus snow tires (for now season) is a better option then AWD with regular tires.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2015, 12:11 AM   #22
5ilver-5amurai
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Test drive both and get the car that feels better to you. If you're seriously looking to drift competitively, then a 335i is not the right car for you lol. If you're looking to whip out the tail a bit here and there, both the RWD and xDrive will do it.

Also, I'm not even sure why there is a debate about this...plain and simple, an xDrive with snow tires will get you better traction in winter than an RWD with snow tires. If you're a really good driver, both will work fine though.
Appreciate 0