F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > 435i Kickdown button vs. Left paddle hold
Studio RSR

12-22-2015, 03:56 PM   #1
bovino
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 F36, 2017 i3 REx

435i Kickdown button vs. Left paddle hold

Hello all! Thank you for helping me figure out some of my confusions in the other thread. There is one question lingering that I can't seem to find an answer to, so hopefully by separating this thread future searchers can more easily find the answer. For the record I have a 2016 435i GC, but I am guessing this is relevant to any similar 2016 vintage with the SAT.

It appears that there are two modes for rapidly downshifting to zoom away when in auto (D or M/S auto):
  1. Kickdown Button (past resistance on throttle)
  2. Hold left shift paddle

The manual does not describe a difference between D and M/S in auto mode nor does it describe different behavior between driving modes. My take--and what I am looking to clarify or confirm--is the following:
  1. Drive mode (sport, comfort, sport+) does not come into play in D or M/S auto mode in terms of how gears are dropped
  2. Kickdown button works in both D and M/S Auto to downshift as far as possible
  3. Holding left shift paddle will downshift as far as possible in D or M/S auto
  4. WOT is required for kickdown button (have to floor it)
  5. Any throttle position works with left paddle hold
  6. There is no difference between how many gears down either method can drop, e.g. One is not superior to the other

Being in M/S Manual mode appears to be different, and I'm not discussing that. It seems well documented that kickdown + one left paddle in M/S manual mode will drop gears to the lowest. My question is what happens in D or M/S Auto.

Manual description of kickdown, which doesn't say much:

Quote:
Kickdown is used to achieve maximum driving performance. Step on the accelerator pedal beyond the resistance point at the full throttle position.

Manual description of gear selection using paddle. Note #3:

Quote:
The shift paddles on the steering wheel allow you to shift gears quickly while keeping both hands on the steering wheel.

Shift up: briefly pull right shift paddle.

Shift down: briefly pull left shift paddle.

With the respective transmission version, the lowest possible gear can be selected by pulling and holding the left shift paddle.
I will pay it back in future posts if I can.

Last edited by bovino; 12-22-2015 at 03:57 PM.. Reason: Typo
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2015, 08:59 PM   #2
bovino
Private First Class
Rep

Update: the hold left paddle either doesn't work or in every instance only one gear down was the "lowest possible gear."
Appreciate 1
      12-23-2015, 10:53 PM   #3
kadify
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 428i xDrive GC

I don't think just holding the left paddle does anything except shift one gear lower. I think you have to be holding the paddle in conjunction with pressing past the kick down point for it to shift more than one gear at a time. I don't know how this changes in different driving modes though or whether it is different in D or DS/Manual mode.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2015, 12:34 AM   #4
bovino
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadify View Post
I don't think just holding the left paddle does anything except shift one gear lower. I think you have to be holding the paddle in conjunction with pressing past the kick down point for it to shift more than one gear at a time. I don't know how this changes in different driving modes though or whether it is different in D or DS/Manual mode.

Do intend to try that. Was hoping someone here could explain the difference. My understanding is the kickdown switch itself works fine.

The manual doesn't say anything about the combo when in D or M/S manual. Shrugs.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2015, 05:01 AM   #5
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by bovino View Post
Do intend to try that. Was hoping someone here could explain the difference. My understanding is the kickdown switch itself works fine.

The manual doesn't say anything about the combo when in D or M/S manual. Shrugs.
In D or M/S, without touching the paddles, kick-down will take over any way, if you go through the kick-down resistance point. If you have used the paddles in M/S position then you are in manual mode anyway and the manual block change procedure applies.

The user manual is specific that the paddle block change option does not work in D mode. I do wonder if it is the same in M/S, if you attempt a change with the paddle with the first paddle movement.

I've not got the feature in my car so can't try the possible options.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2016, 07:54 PM   #6
bovino
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
In D or M/S, without touching the paddles, kick-down will take over any way, if you go through the kick-down resistance point. If you have used the paddles in M/S position then you are in manual mode anyway and the manual block change procedure applies.

The user manual is specific that the paddle block change option does not work in D mode. I do wonder if it is the same in M/S, if you attempt a change with the paddle with the first paddle movement.

I've not got the feature in my car so can't try the possible options.

HighlandPete
So I did get to try it (happy new year all!) in Manual mode and I can't seem to replicate the "lowest possible gear" behavior the manual promises. Beats me.

Floor it!
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2016, 08:13 PM   #7
G30 B58
Pace Car Driver
Rep
Drives: '22 AW G30 B58 M-Sport

2015 435i M-Sport

Cruising along at 45 in 6th gear, M/S, Sport (+), holding the - paddle downshifts one gear and one gear only. Nothing else. No magic.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2016, 10:47 PM   #8
bovino
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F32 N55 View Post
2015 435i M-Sport

Cruising along at 45 in 6th gear, M/S, Sport (+), holding the - paddle downshifts one gear and one gear only. Nothing else. No magic.
I can't find any combination where the manual's comment seems to work. Oh well.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2016, 12:29 PM   #9
NightWriter
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Pure

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadify View Post
I don't think just holding the left paddle does anything except shift one gear lower. I think you have to be holding the paddle in conjunction with pressing past the kick down point for it to shift more than one gear at a time.
In my 340i auto, I'm in Sport+/manual mode most of the time. (Yes, I frequently have regrets about not getting the manual, but that's another matter.)

I see the opposite of what you're describing; namely, holding the gas down to the floor doesn't do anything. A quick flick of the left paddle downshifts immediately, but holding it down for about 1.5s will downshift to the lowest possible gear, even if I don't touch the gas.

I do this often when approaching an intersection, since otherwise the car would be happy to continue lugging out in 5th/6th gear (but acceleration would be lackadaisical). As I approach, I hold down the paddle, instantly shift to 2nd, and accelerate out like a boss.
      01-05-2016, 03:22 PM   #10
aacabriolet
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '14 435i Coupe

We're also supposed to be able to hold the right paddle shifter in to go from M to D mode when you have pushed a paddle to go into M mode and want to go back into normal D mode, and don't want to wait the 10 sec or so for it to auto switch back to D, or manually switch the shifter to the left to S and then back to D again (tedious method...)
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2016, 05:53 PM   #11
strumbringer
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 G30 540i xDrive

Garage List
The left-paddle-hold works in conjunction with the kickdown when in Manual shift mode, I think?

(i.e. kickdown and hold left paddle to shift into lowest available gear when in Manual).

That's how it works on my F10 and how it worked when I test drove an F30... Holding down the paddle w/o kickdown did nothing.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2016, 09:38 PM   #12
cryptocar
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13' F30 385xi VNV Speed Custom

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by strumbringer
The left-paddle-hold works in conjunction with the kickdown when in Manual shift mode, I think?

(i.e. kickdown and hold left paddle to shift into lowest available gear when in Manual).

That's how it works on my F10 and how it worked when I test drove an F30... Holding down the paddle w/o kickdown did nothing.
My 2013 does nothing other than a single downshift holding the left paddle. It only kicks down when actually pushing the kickdown switch on the pedal regardless of what I do with the paddles.
13' 335xi, ACF Tuned, ACF Stage 3 Turbo Kit (67mm),PDU PI, ACF Stage 4 LPFP, M-Perf Brakes, AEM CM10 Meth/Nitro, CG DR-1 + VS-1 3.5" Turboback, AFe S2 CAI+Ram Scoop, ER Chargepipe, Wagner EVOII Comp. FMIC, Stop-Tech SS Brake Lines, BMS Sport Oil Cooler Valve+Spacers F10mm R15mm, 19" Bridgestone Potenzas, KW EDC Coilovers, CF Seibon Hood + CSL trunk. Track:Pagid Race Pads, Stop-Tech Custom Pads Front+Rear Racing Tow Hooks
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2016, 12:28 AM   #13
bovino
Private First Class
Rep

I think the issue is "respective transmission" without defining what that transmission is. Someone here pointed out it could be a European feature not applicable but not noted as such. I can confirm that 2/3 bullets noted in my paste from the manual above regarding the shifter do not work.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2016, 02:53 AM   #14
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by bovino View Post
I think the issue is "respective transmission" without defining what that transmission is. Someone here pointed out it could be a European feature not applicable but not noted as such. I can confirm that 2/3 bullets noted in my paste from the manual above regarding the shifter do not work.
I assume you do have the SAT option.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2016, 11:06 PM   #15
bovino
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Correct. If they would just explain which applies to which transmission it would be helpful.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2016, 11:19 AM   #16
cryptocar
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bovino
Quote:
Correct. If they would just explain which applies to which transmission it would be helpful.
I have SAT. Only kickdown switch actually kicks down more than a single gear under any circumstances. Left paddle hold is always ineffective.
13' 335xi, ACF Tuned, ACF Stage 3 Turbo Kit (67mm),PDU PI, ACF Stage 4 LPFP, M-Perf Brakes, AEM CM10 Meth/Nitro, CG DR-1 + VS-1 3.5" Turboback, AFe S2 CAI+Ram Scoop, ER Chargepipe, Wagner EVOII Comp. FMIC, Stop-Tech SS Brake Lines, BMS Sport Oil Cooler Valve+Spacers F10mm R15mm, 19" Bridgestone Potenzas, KW EDC Coilovers, CF Seibon Hood + CSL trunk. Track:Pagid Race Pads, Stop-Tech Custom Pads Front+Rear Racing Tow Hooks
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2016, 11:19 PM   #17
bovino
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cryptocar View Post
I have SAT. Only kickdown switch actually kicks down more than a single gear under any circumstances. Left paddle hold is always ineffective.
Glad it's not just me.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2016, 12:32 PM   #18
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

You guys are really making this more complicated than it is.

Using left paddle is just like rev matching with a manual. Your speed won't really increase because the amount of throttle hasn't changed.

When using "kick down" you're now asking the transmission to select the lowest gear based on the increased throttle (ie more fuel)

That's it in a nutshell.

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2016, 12:57 PM   #19
cryptocar
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by F32Fleet
You guys are really making this more complicated than it is.

Using left paddle is just like rev matching with a manual. Your speed won't really increase because the amount of throttle hasn't changed.

When using "kick down" you're now asking the transmission to select the lowest gear based on the increased throttle (ie more fuel)

That's it in a nutshell.
I don't follow. You say that we're making it more complicated than it is but you just added new information to this thread not previously mentioned regarding rev matching. The post began about whether or not holding the left paddle downshifts to lowest possible gear, same as the kick-down switch on the pedal. The info from the manual stated it did, and nobody in this thread has experienced this at least consistently.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2016, 04:59 PM   #20
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I don't follow. You say that we're making it more complicated than it is but you just added new information to this thread not previously mentioned regarding rev matching. The post began about whether or not holding the left paddle downshifts to lowest possible gear, same as the kick-down switch on the pedal. The info from the manual stated it did, and nobody in this thread has experienced this at least consistently.
Ahh okay. Well here's my own experience.

Left paddle did not result in lowest possible gear (either while accelerating or while braking) in any possible combination.

Comfort, Sport, Sport+ & either D, S-mode, or M-mode.

Perhaps the manual is talking about a feature of the DCT for the M's and it found its way in all manuals?

Appreciate 1
      01-09-2016, 08:50 PM   #21
cryptocar
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I have no idea since I haven't even seen where that citation is actually from it's just been mentioned a couple times.
On another note one of these things also said that in D mode and you change to MX by hitting a Paddle up or down, if you don't want to wait the 10s until it resets to D automatically or do a quick flip to S/M and back to D, it mentioned holding the right paddle will set back to D instantly.
I tried this today along with the left paddle again, and yet again neither of these proposed functions work on my 2013 ZF8.
I hope someone can provide a source for these functions.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2016, 08:44 AM   #22
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I have no idea since I haven't even seen where that citation is actually from it's just been mentioned a couple times.
On another note one of these things also said that in D mode and you change to MX by hitting a Paddle up or down, if you don't want to wait the 10s until it resets to D automatically or do a quick flip to S/M and back to D, it mentioned holding the right paddle will set back to D instantly.
I tried this today along with the left paddle again, and yet again neither of these proposed functions work on my 2013 ZF8.
I hope someone can provide a source for these functions.
It on pg 73 of my manual. TBH it seems like a duplicative and therefore useless feature. On the other hand if the left paddle down shifted into the lowest gear while braking. That would be something.

Appreciate 0