F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > AM radio sensitivity deteriorating
Extreme Powerhouse

06-21-2016, 03:54 PM   #1
w5xz
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 x-3 28i x-dr, 2012 335i

Garage List
2011 BMW X3  [0.00]
AM radio sensitivity deteriorating

2012 335i, CIC-hi ( has nav )...FM, Satellite-Sirius, and weather band
all still good..

deaf as a stump on am broadcast band, lately...only a couple weeks left
on warranty..

will dealer retro-fit NBT? wishful thinking, i'm sure...

gotta get my Rush fix on my lunch hour...

regards, dan
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2016, 06:15 PM   #2
G30 B58
Pace Car Driver
Rep
Drives: '22 AW G30 B58 M-Sport

WTF is AM?
Appreciate 2
      06-21-2016, 07:03 PM   #3
milanoverde
Rep
Drives: 2013 318i

AM

The radio in my old '13 periodically lost the AM. My new '15 (8 months old) hasnt done it yet. The dealer told me the Sirius radios do this. No ide why.

Tony
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2016, 08:16 PM   #4
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 X1 28i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by milanoverde View Post
The radio in my old '13 periodically lost the AM. My new '15 (8 months old) hasnt done it yet. The dealer told me the Sirius radios do this. No ide why.

Tony
HD radio signals sometimes go in and out.

OP--just listen to your 8-Track if the AM is too faint.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2016, 03:30 PM   #5
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

The AM/FM radio reception in modern BMW's is abysmal.
FM-HD actually sounds pretty darn good, a good bit better than satellite.
The problem is that FM-HD goes in and out constantly and that makes for an awful listening experience as the fidelity changes along with skipping at times.

I only live about 40 miles from Chicago, which has plenty of FM-HD stations.
But not a single one of those stations stays tuned in this BMW HK head unit.
My 2013 F30 335i was just as bad as my 2016 340i. The "antennas" in these cars SUCKS big time!
I think BMW figures you'll either listen to satellite or your own digital device and so they give us the cheapest AM/FM tuner and antenna they can to saves a few bucks.
It actually pisses me off because as I said FM-HD actually sounds really good especially on the HK audio system, but only for the few seconds or minute of so of when the actual HD signal is being held.

We should all complain to our dealer tech departments and have BMW fix this reception issue. I don't live in some mountain valley 100 miles away from the nearest FM-HD station, but my HK radio operates like I do.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2016, 03:39 PM   #6
goj
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 EBII 340i 6-MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by F32 N55
WTF is AM?
Hey without AM I wouldn't be able to listen to sports
BMW CCA Member #516012
2016 340i, Estoril Blue, Manual Transmission, MPE, MPBBK, HRE FF04
Instagram: @brandons340i
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2016, 05:01 PM   #7
w5xz
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 x-3 28i x-dr, 2012 335i

Garage List
2011 BMW X3  [0.00]
a similar ( i think? ) CIC-hi unit in my 2011 X-3 works reasonably well on the AM band..

just saying...
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2016, 05:06 PM   #8
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by goj View Post
I thought the Bay Area was progressive. The AM sports stations there haven't migrated or simulcast to FM?
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2016, 05:12 PM   #9
goj
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex2670
Quote:
I thought the Bay Area was progressive. The AM sports stations there haven't migrated or simulcast to FM?
Nope not all. If it ain't broke don't fix it. But honestly it's less about being progressive and more about who pays to get the rights to do the broadcast.
BMW CCA Member #516012
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2016, 12:21 AM   #10
Kabrich
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 AH3 (335IH) 3F93 MSport

BMW took the AM Radios out if their electric i Models completely. Claimed there was too much interference. The NAB (National Association of Broadcasters) got a group of Broadcast Engineers together that offered to help them solve the issue at no cost, but BMW turned them down.

So you can easily see how important AM radio is to BMW.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2016, 06:11 AM   #11
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Nope not all. If it ain't broke don't fix it. But honestly it's less about being progressive and more about who pays to get the rights to do the broadcast.
Sports radio continuing to broadcast over AM signal in 2016 is "broken". Time for them to move to the modern age--or at least an age that's less antiquated.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2016, 08:32 AM   #12
LMK5
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 330i Imperial Bloo

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
The AM/FM radio reception in modern BMW's is abysmal.
FM-HD actually sounds pretty darn good, a good bit better than satellite.
The problem is that FM-HD goes in and out constantly and that makes for an awful listening experience as the fidelity changes along with skipping at times.

I only live about 40 miles from Chicago, which has plenty of FM-HD stations.
But not a single one of those stations stays tuned in this BMW HK head unit.
My 2013 F30 335i was just as bad as my 2016 340i. The "antennas" in these cars SUCKS big time!
I think BMW figures you'll either listen to satellite or your own digital device and so they give us the cheapest AM/FM tuner and antenna they can to saves a few bucks.
It actually pisses me off because as I said FM-HD actually sounds really good especially on the HK audio system, but only for the few seconds or minute of so of when the actual HD signal is being held.

We should all complain to our dealer tech departments and have BMW fix this reception issue. I don't live in some mountain valley 100 miles away from the nearest FM-HD station, but my HK radio operates like I do.
My MY2014 AM reception is the worst of any car I've owned. Tough to listen to the Angels on ESPN radio. Some AM radio stations also are HD, and that can help but as was mentioned it goes in and out.
Appreciate 1
      06-23-2016, 08:47 AM   #13
RoundelM3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 F80 M3, 22 G01 X3 30i

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
2015 BMW M3  [6.50]
I haven't listened to AM radio since the 1970s, since there's so much better reception and content on FM. That said, AM radio needs a better antenna, not a better head unit. All this "bad reception" is due to the fact that today's car antennas, many of which are in the rear window along with the defrost elements, aren't tuned correctly for AM. Those of you who can remember the good ol' days when cars had long (and sometimes retractable) antennas in their front or rear fenders know that when the antenna was down too low or cut too short, it minimized reception.

So what about "portable" radios (if you can find one)? They're generally stationary, and aren't affected by short or horizontally-aligned antennas. If you're just bug-nuts for AM radio, consider adding one of those antennas you see on the BMW soft-top convertibles.

2015 F80 ///M3 Sedan 7DCT Tanzanite, 2022 X3 sDrive30i 8AT Brooklyn Grey
Appreciate 1
      06-23-2016, 08:54 AM   #14
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by roundel335 View Post
I haven't listened to AM radio since the 1970s, since there's so much better reception and content on FM. That said, AM radio needs a better antenna, not a better head unit. All this "bad reception" is due to the fact that today's car antennas, many of which are in the rear window along with the defrost elements, aren't tuned correctly for AM. Those of you who can remember the good ol' days when cars had long (and sometimes retractable) antennas in their front or rear fenders know that when the antenna was down too low or cut too short, it minimized reception.

So what about "portable" radios (if you can find one)? They're generally stationary, and aren't affected by short or horizontally-aligned antennas. If you're just bug-nuts for AM radio, consider adding one of those antennas you see on the BMW soft-top convertibles.
Maybe just stick a coat hanger out of the fender of the F30?
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2016, 09:19 AM   #15
LMK5
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 330i Imperial Bloo

Quote:

The best talk and sports radio is still on AM. BTW, windshield antennas have been around for decades and work well. My other cars sound fine on AM. It's just another area where BMW--by design or not--comes up short and we're left to search for a workaround on a car forum.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2016, 09:45 AM   #16
goj
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex2670
Quote:
Sports radio continuing to broadcast over AM signal in 2016 is "broken". Time for them to move to the modern age--or at least an age that's less antiquated.
Ok, that's not my concern though. I just want to listen to my teams. Without AM I can't
BMW CCA Member #516012
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2016, 12:08 PM   #17
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Ok, that's not my concern though. I just want to listen to my teams. Without AM I can't
But what I'm saying is you could if the sports station would move out of the dark ages and migrate to FM like they have in other major cities.

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/201...ports-radio-fm

...and in your city...

http://www.957thegame.com/

Last edited by tex2670; 06-23-2016 at 02:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2016, 12:23 PM   #18
RoundelM3
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
2015 BMW M3  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tex2670 View Post
Maybe just stick a coat hanger out of the fender of the F30?
No, that's reserved for '72 Ford Pickups...

Appreciate 1
      06-23-2016, 12:34 PM   #19
RoundelM3
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
2015 BMW M3  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMK5 View Post
The best talk and sports radio is still on AM. BTW, windshield antennas have been around for decades and work well. My other cars sound fine on AM. It's just another area where BMW--by design or not--comes up short and we're left to search for a workaround on a car forum.
You didn't read carefully - I wasn't talking about windshield antennas. BMW's antenna is on the rear window mixed in with the heating elements for the defroster. The only other antenna is the "shark fin", which may or may not be part of the overall antenna system. The longer "whip" antenna on my 2016 F23 convertible and previous '11 E88 convertible provides good AM reception on the few occasions when switched to that band. A lot depends on where and how high the AM station's radio mast is placed and what's between it and your car.

Unlike FM radio signal spread, which is primarily point-to-point, AM radio is sensitive to atmospheric conditions and also can "skip" off the atmosphere, which is why you can listen to a Chicago radio station like WLS from Fort Polk, Louisiana after the sun goes down. I used to listen to Oklahoma City from New Mexico at night, but couldn't get any reception during the day. How's your AM reception at night? Any better than during the day or the same? Long-wave radio is what "HAM" radio operators use to talk to other operators around the world. FM radio requires "repeaters" to reach beyond the horizon from wherever its origination point is.

It's more than likely the nature of AM radio, rather than BMW's antenna design, that's causing the issue. If you really feel there are other areas where BMW "comes up short", you should probably consider buying another brand. But be prepared to be even more disappointed.

Last edited by RoundelM3; 06-23-2016 at 12:40 PM..
Appreciate 1
      06-24-2016, 01:21 AM   #20
Kabrich
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You didn't read carefully - I wasn't talking about windshield antennas. BMW's antenna is on the rear window mixed in with the heating elements for the defroster. The only other antenna is the "shark fin", which may or may not be part of the overall antenna system. The longer "whip" antenna on my 2016 F23 convertible and previous '11 E88 convertible provides good AM reception on the few occasions when switched to that band. A lot depends on where and how high the AM station's radio mast is placed and what's between it and your car.

Unlike FM radio signal spread, which is primarily point-to-point, AM radio is sensitive to atmospheric conditions and also can "skip" off the atmosphere, which is why you can listen to a Chicago radio station like WLS from Fort Polk, Louisiana after the sun goes down. I used to listen to Oklahoma City from New Mexico at night, but couldn't get any reception during the day. How's your AM reception at night? Any better than during the day or the same? Long-wave radio is what "HAM" radio operators use to talk to other operators around the world. FM radio requires "repeaters" to reach beyond the horizon from wherever its origination point is.

It's more than likely the nature of AM radio, rather than BMW's antenna design, that's causing the issue. If you really feel there are other areas where BMW "comes up short", you should probably consider buying another brand. But be prepared to be even more disappointed.
Unfortunately you are very confused in your understanding. AM's reception has NOTHING to do with Broadcast Tower Height above reception antenna as it does in FM. AM is primarily GROUND WAVE reception during the day, which is why you can pick up WBT-AM out of Charlotte (over 200 miles from you) when it's tower is only 428ft - and the old WAPE out if Jacksonville Florida was able to be received over 500 miles up the East Coast. They even had billboards outside of Wilmington NC about their 500 miles of music.

The problem with AM is

1) companies are using crappy AM tuners and circuits in their receivers as they believe as some have posted above that no one cares about it anymore. Has literally NOTHING to do with the BMW Antenna.

2) spectrum noise has increased to levels causing issues in many bands, but it is out of control on AM due to everything from computer processors not shielded properly to AC Dimmers in a house.

As noted, BMW gave up on AM radio in the i Series because of the interference the cars give off

Just the week the FCC has brought up the idea of a massive study to get good numbers on what the noise floor is across the Spectrum as EVERYONE (and I mean all Companies) have gotten concerned with the Spectral Pollution that is encroaching on so many bands now.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2016, 01:31 AM   #21
Kabrich
Banned
United_States
Rep

Anyone interested in the FCC action this week should read both of the following:

http://www.tvtechnology.com/news/000...e-floor/278840

http://www.radioworld.com/article/fc...-issues/279077

WASHINGTON—There are great anecdotes about people who hear radio broadcasts through their dental work. That’s “noise,” in radio frequency parlance. Noise is comprised of undesired signals. The sum of all noise from undesired signals is called the “noise floor,” and people who advise the Federal Communications Commission on technology matters suspect it’s rising. They’ve asked the commission to help them look into it.

“Like many spectrum users we believe that the noise floor in the radio spectrum is rising as the number of devices in use that emit radio energy grows,” the FCC’s Technical Advisory Council said in a June 6 correspondence to the commission.

The TAC, a collection of executives and academics from the likes of Google, the National Association of Broadcasters, Microsoft, Apple, Amazon, MIT, Verizon, Motorola and others,asked the commission to open an inquiry on the noise floor because of the limited amount of information available to study it.

“In search for concrete evidence of increased noise floors, we have found limited available quantitative data to support this belief,” the TAC letter stated. “We are looking to find ways to add to the available data in order to answer important questions for the FCC regarding this topic.”

The commission agreed to open a public inquiry into the matter in a June 15 Public Notice that called for comments by Aug. 11, 2016 on Docket No. 16-191.

Finding the noise floor is complicated by a number of factors. RF noise is generated by all types of devices, including those not necessarily designed to do so. These are referred to as “incidental radiators.” Electric motors, dimmer switches, utility transformers and power lines are examples of incidental radiators, and they are not subject to RF noise rules.

Then there also are "unintentional radiators,” which use RF energy internally—through wiring, for example—but that “leak” it because RF energy has boundary issues.

A third type of radiators covers equipment designed to intentionally emit RF energy, including cellphones, TV sets, wireless routers, Bluetooth devices, radios, radar, microwave ovens, fluorescent lights, arc welders, etc. These are considered “unlicensed intentional radiators,” “industrial, scientific, and medical (ISM) radiators” and “licensed radiators.”

This last type of radiator typically transmits on an assigned frequency, but, as with unintentional radiators, the energy leaks into adjacent frequencies and sometimes beyond.

The commission’s inquiry comprises a list of questions proffered by the TAC, beginning with, “Is there a noise problem?”

Interested parties can file comments in the FCC’s Electronic Comment Filing System portal, using Proceeding Number 16-191, by Aug. 11, 2016. No reply comment date was set.

Last edited by Kabrich; 06-24-2016 at 01:41 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2016, 08:35 AM   #22
philbake
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 640i GT/2017 X5 40e

Garage List
2023 BMW i4 e40  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by roundel335
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMK5 View Post

When I traded in my '13 F30 (stock audio) for my '16 F36. (HK) there was a noticeable improvement in AM reception and audio. The other thing to note is any window tint on the rear glass. Anything with a metal base will attenuate AM signals substantially. I went with Ceramic tint this time. No RF attenuation. Not sure whether the tuner in the newer HK units are better or not...but there's a noticeable improvement.
Appreciate 0