F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Maintenance: Wash, Wax, Detailing, Repairs > Annoying door rattle
Studio RSR

01-19-2017, 08:28 AM   #1
Axman85
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i x-Drive M-Sport Min. Grey

Annoying door rattle

My front passenger door has an annoying rattle every time I hit a bump in the road. Sounds like it's up around the little door lock thingie. Does anyone have a diagram of the door so I can see how to take the plastic panel off without damage? Don't see any screws so it must be clipped in some how.

Anyone else have this rattle?
Appreciate 1
      01-19-2017, 10:06 AM   #2
spuntyb
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 F90 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axman85 View Post
My front passenger door has an annoying rattle every time I hit a bump in the road. Sounds like it's up around the little door lock thingie. Does anyone have a diagram of the door so I can see how to take the plastic panel off without damage? Don't see any screws so it must be clipped in some how.

Yes I have it too. Very common. Ton of DIYs here on how to remove the panel, just do a search. Basically you pop off the inside door handle trim, unscrew a couple of screws, then work your way around the whole door panel. Did it on my e90 and broke a few clips. Not a difficult job at all, but I'm bringing my car in for an oil change soon and going to have them just fix it under warranty.

You technically don't even need to remove the door panel of it is the lock pin. For example, here's what some members have done to fix the problem:
http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...0&postcount=21

2019 F90 Comp MBB|Black (sold)
2018 F80 ZCP TB|SS (sold)
2015 F30 335 AW|CR (sold)
2015 F31 MG|CR (sold)
2011 E90 JB|Oyster (sold)
Appreciate 1
Axman8577.00
      01-20-2017, 06:19 PM   #3
Axman85
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i x-Drive M-Sport Min. Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by spuntyb View Post
Quote:

Yes I have it too. Very common. Ton of DIYs here on how to remove the panel, just do a search. Basically you pop off the inside door handle trim, unscrew a couple of screws, then work your way around the whole door panel. Did it on my e90 and broke a few clips. Not a difficult job at all, but I'm bringing my car in for an oil change soon and going to have them just fix it under warranty.

You technically don't even need to remove the door panel of it is the lock pin. For example, here's what some members have done to fix the problem:
Spuntyb- appreciate the tip, copied that post you provided and that resolved most of my complaint; any residual isn't worth the effort.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2017, 07:15 PM   #4
spuntyb
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 F90 Competition

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by spuntyb View Post
Quote:

Spuntyb- appreciate the tip, copied that post you provided and that resolved most of my complaint; any residual isn't worth the effort.

2019 F90 Comp MBB|Black (sold)
2018 F80 ZCP TB|SS (sold)
2015 F30 335 AW|CR (sold)
2015 F31 MG|CR (sold)
2011 E90 JB|Oyster (sold)
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2017, 08:07 PM   #5
S_Onyx
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Sport

I had a similar rattle on my right-handed drive F30 (I'm in Australia) whenever I drives on an uneven road surface or hit a small pothole at a low speed. I thought that the rattle was coming from the internal of door and it was starting to tick me off.
I can't be bothered to remove the door panel so I brought it to a BMW Service centre. I replicated the rattle while the technician was onboard and left it.
When I picked up the car, I was surprised that the rattle was caused by the washer bottle in the engine bay rubbing against the wheel arch trim. I haven't heard the rattle since then!
Appreciate 0