F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > 2018 430GC - HUD and Speed Limit Info
Extreme Powerhouse

10-19-2017, 09:50 PM   #1
kalien34
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 40e CB M Sport

2018 430GC - HUD and Speed Limit Info

Finally picked up my 430GC, which is equipped with HUD as options without the Exec Pkg. I noticed I've never seen posted speed limit info neither on the instrumental cluster nor the HUD.

But I checked the ordering guide which mentioned adding 610 (HUD) will also add 8TH (Speed Limit Info). Therefore I wonder why do I not see any speed limit info?

Is it becoz the system doesn't have the speed limit info for any of the roads I drove? Doesn't seem to make sense... I also don't see the speed limit info as part of the options in the settings of either HUD or instrumental cluster.

Anyone has the same question?
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2017, 10:58 PM   #2
DrifterX
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i M Sport 6MT+RWD

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalien34 View Post
Finally picked up my 430GC, which is equipped with HUD as options without the Exec Pkg. I noticed I've never seen posted speed limit info neither on the instrumental cluster nor the HUD.

But I checked the ordering guide which mentioned adding 610 (HUD) will also add 8TH (Speed Limit Info). Therefore I wonder why do I not see any speed limit info?

Is it becoz the system doesn't have the speed limit info for any of the roads I drove? Doesn't seem to make sense... I also don't see the speed limit info as part of the options in the settings of either HUD or instrumental cluster.

If I remember correctly, you need to set up the HUD to show the speed limit info through iDrive.

You also need to push the top button of the left stalk on the steering column to cycle through information to see the speed limit info. It will cycle through the info in the middle of the instrument cluster.
      10-19-2017, 11:03 PM   #3
PNW2003
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i xdrive convertible

Quote:

I read there is a front facing camera that reads the speed limit off of the street signs. If you don't drive past any street signs, you won't get them. I have a 2018 440i with HUD and it routinely shows up for me in both the HUD and on the digital instrument cluster.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2017, 11:06 PM   #4
kalien34
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrifterX View Post
If I remember correctly, you need to set up the HUD to show the speed limit info through iDrive.

You also need to push the top button of the left stalk on the steering column to cycle through information to see the speed limit info. It will cycle through the info in the middle of the instrument cluster.
By left stalk on the steering column, do you mean the stick to control high beam? I tried that but didn't see anything related to speed limit. Do I need to set sth up first in iDrive? Exactly which section in iDrive is it?
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2017, 12:57 AM   #5
BEAR-AvHistory
2020 Z4 M40i - 2022 M4C Convt
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i - 2022 M4C Convrt

Garage List
Not sure you can get it without the camera. I don't have the cameras & will give it a try in the morning. Did not see any choices for it when I coded the car.

2022 M4C - 2020 Z4 M40i - 2023 FORD Expedition XLT Max 4X4 400BHP - 2009 V-Star - 1998 Ranger 4X4 5MT - 1965 Cobra (R) 5MT - 2023 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 6MT
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2017, 02:52 AM   #6
Dang3r
Schmollbraten
Germany
Rep
Drives: M4CPC // HP4 Comp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW2003 View Post
I read there is a front facing camera that reads the speed limit off of the street signs. If you don't drive past any street signs, you won't get them. I have a 2018 440i with HUD and it routinely shows up for me in both the HUD and on the digital instrument cluster.
Thats not entirely true.
The SLI cam reads the passed signs and if there arent any, the displayed indication is coming from the NAV data base. If you're switching e.g. to ECO mode, the system reads the stored city borders, hills and so on and would be regulating the applied engine power according to the driven speed and so on.
Only if the read sign differs from the stored data, the SLI would change to the actual speed limits.
Nothing shown in HUD is almost a sign for not ticking the responding boxes into the iDrive into HUD => Settings => Items to display
For the extended cluster as already described, tab the pushbutton through the menu until the speed signs comes on.

Aside from the facts, Im not sure about the sold packages into the US but ordering the HUD adds not necessarily the 8TH option unless its related to the offered package.
If you havent the KAFAS2 cam stock installed, its an expensive way to retrofit it and wouldnt for me worth the efforts. But theres a solution in between, you could buy a Speed Limit Emulator which is grabbing the stored speed infos from the NAV data base and displays these into HUD and cluster after an additional coding.
Details could be found into the DIY section.

Some say, that my scrotum has its own small gravity field and when Im slowing down that brake lights come on at my buttox

Last edited by Dang3r; 10-20-2017 at 02:58 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2017, 08:26 AM   #7
kalien34
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dang3r View Post
Thats not entirely true.
The SLI cam reads the passed signs and if there arent any, the displayed indication is coming from the NAV data base. If you're switching e.g. to ECO mode, the system reads the stored city borders, hills and so on and would be regulating the applied engine power according to the driven speed and so on.
Only if the read sign differs from the stored data, the SLI would change to the actual speed limits.
Nothing shown in HUD is almost a sign for not ticking the responding boxes into the iDrive into HUD => Settings => Items to display
For the extended cluster as already described, tab the pushbutton through the menu until the speed signs comes on.

Aside from the facts, Im not sure about the sold packages into the US but ordering the HUD adds not necessarily the 8TH option unless its related to the offered package.
If you havent the KAFAS2 cam stock installed, its an expensive way to retrofit it and wouldnt for me worth the efforts. But theres a solution in between, you could buy a Speed Limit Emulator which is grabbing the stored speed infos from the NAV data base and displays these into HUD and cluster after an additional coding.
Details could be found into the DIY section.
Thank you. I already checked the settings, and confirmed that all items available have been ticked for both HUD and instrumental display in the iDrive system. So does it mean this function was actually not included in my car?
It's ok if it's not, I am just trying to confirm. I don't really need that info anyways.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2017, 08:27 AM   #8
kalien34
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory View Post
Not sure you can get it without the camera. I don't have the cameras & will give it a try in the morning. Did not see any choices for it when I coded the car.
I don't see any option related to that in the iDrive setting either. I guess it's actually not included in my car. I think by default all available items for displaying in the HUD or instrumental cluster are ticked for display already.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2017, 09:08 AM   #9
JayPichardo
BMW Client Advisor
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
You need to have the executive package to see the speed limit info.I have the a 440GC with the $1,100 HUD option and I do not have speed limit info or the front facing camera behind the rear view mirror.

Executive Package
$2,100
With features like Side and Top View Cameras that deliver a detailed view of your vehicle and its immediate surroundings, the Executive Package keeps you focused on what’s important. It comes with Adaptive Full LED Lights to brighten the road ahead, Automatic High Beams that let you see without blinding incoming traffic, Parking Assistant to help you in tight spots, as well as Head-Up Display and Speed Limit Info for added safety while driving.

Top M Client Advisor in New England.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2017, 09:20 AM   #10
kalien34
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH_F36 View Post
You need to have the executive package to see the speed limit info.I have the a 440GC with the $1,100 HUD option and I do not have speed limit info or the front facing camera behind the rear view mirror.

Executive Package
$2,100
With features like Side and Top View Cameras that deliver a detailed view of your vehicle and its immediate surroundings, the Executive Package keeps you focused on what’s important. It comes with Adaptive Full LED Lights to brighten the road ahead, Automatic High Beams that let you see without blinding incoming traffic, Parking Assistant to help you in tight spots, as well as Head-Up Display and Speed Limit Info for added safety while driving.
That's what I thought. Just got confused initially by looking at the pricing and ordering guide, which says in the HUD option that speed limit will also be added together with HUD. Not really a big deal for me anyway.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2017, 10:50 AM   #11
Dang3r
Schmollbraten
Germany
Rep
Drives: M4CPC // HP4 Comp.

Quote:
Thank you. I already checked the settings, and confirmed that all items available have been ticked for both HUD and instrumental display in the iDrive system. So does it mean this function was actually not included in my car?
It's ok if it's not, I am just trying to confirm. I don't really need that info anyways.
I would recommend you to enter your VIN onto BMW and read the complete list of installed items. If the 8th option is included and you're not be able to activate it, go back to your dealer and ask about the missing.

Some say, that my scrotum has its own small gravity field and when Im slowing down that brake lights come on at my buttox
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2017, 02:48 PM   #12
kalien34
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dang3r View Post
I would recommend you to enter your VIN onto BMW and read the complete list of installed items. If the 8th option is included and you're not be able to activate it, go back to your dealer and ask about the missing.
Thanks. Checked on http://bimmer.work/, and 8TH is not there. Probably the ordering guide was wrong and 8TH needs not only HUD but also the entire exec package.
Appreciate 1
Dang3r12512.00