F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Not holding Value.....
GetBMWParts

01-11-2014, 09:30 PM   #67
RichReg
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435Xi GC & 2000 323Ci.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivaswrath View Post
Look at motortrend...most 5 year values for the C class, A4, and 3-series are about 45-50% less.
+1. You have to look at the 5 year number. People buy vs lease because they plan to keep the car and take care of it. I doubt BMW, MB, Audi are below average when it comes to 5 year resale.

And try getting a discount when you buy a car brand spankin' new....then compare that 25K to a realistic initial outlay, and not MSRP.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2014, 09:49 PM   #68
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by drob23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Thanks for that.

I do take JD's results with a grain of salt though. I've tossed more of those surveys in the trash than I can count (..presumably because I really don't have issues with my cars). I think the only one that I went out of my way to complete was the Navigation survey they sent me, and that was only because people complain so much that I felt obliged to give my positive feedback. I think the people without issue(s) disregard these surveys and others that are similar.
JD measures initial satisfaction, not reliability. They use the things gone wrong (TGW) metric (complaints that require dealership action), like not being able to pair the Bluetooth. It's accurate and useful information, mostly from a marketing and business point of view - which trickles down to engineering. But that metric says nothing about how your cam chain will be doing at 70k miles.

I think the problem unique to BMW and other German manufactures are the cost of repairs (parts mostly) and complexity of the systems themselves. The suspensions are generally tighter and thus have more wear parts, along with more advanced powertrains and much more complex CAN networks and the associated electronics. If you have a problem with your power steering pump on an e46, you have to still order super expensive OEM parts while a Honda can use cheap knock-offs or salvage parts from the millions of interchangeable models.
Excellent point!
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2014, 09:53 PM   #69
rallybull
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i w/PPK

Quote:
Originally Posted by asuh1991 View Post
I like new car smell.
cheaper solution: smell