F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > AUSTRALIA > Need a Solution for a Problem
ARMA SPEED

12-02-2012, 07:31 PM   #1
ozorion
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 30D MSport

Garage List
Need a Solution for a Problem

As most of you would know, the keyfob for the F30 has the ability to raise or lower all of the windows (and open or close the sunroof) if the lock or unlock buttons are held.

More than once, one of my workmates has asked me if I'm aware that all my windows are down, or that my boot is open when the car is parked in front of my work. Clearly what's happening is that the fob in my pocket is resting agaisnt something when I sit down and the button is being pressed.

This became an issue today when it was pointed out to me that my windows were down in the middle of a rain storm. Thankfully the sunroof was closed but I still have water all down the inside the my doors and on the seats and carpet.

I've looked through the settings on iDrive but there doesn't seem to be any way to disable this function. I was hoping that I could at least limit it so that the boot won't unlock when the car itself is still locked but that option doesn't exist either. My coworker's Merc ML35 has a rain sensor that raises the windows if the car detects rain.

Any suggestions on how best to combat this problem?
      12-02-2012, 08:52 PM   #2
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 M-Sport 328i Estoril Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozorion View Post
The obvious suggestion is to relocate your key fob to perhaps another pocket, which may not impact on the fob as the pocket you normally keep the fob in does.

The fact that your boot is open is a little funny (sorry) but would be most embarrassing. This seems to be a clear indicator your fob buttons are being pressed rather deeply. The open windows, for quite a few seconds.

You are the only one who can know whether you can store/hide the fob at work without anyone finding it. This may very well need to be seriously considered although the opening windows & sunroof can be disabled.

You still, however, have the boot opening issue to deal with.

From what you have posted, fob relocation or pocket item change (if you have your keys, mobile & fob together) needs immediate changing to solve your dilemma.
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect, MST turbo intake pipe, MST Cold Air Intake, JB4 on Map 2 with Catless DP produces awesome performance in Sport.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2012, 09:02 PM   #3
CrazyLatte
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X4 35i

just get a case for your key... BMW sells them for $47 or thereabouts
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2012, 09:11 PM   #4
Sherweeeny
yep
Australia
Rep
Drives: 340i

Wear looser pants
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2012, 09:23 PM   #5
Sephanite
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4

i have the key case. that will fix your problem
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2012, 09:45 PM   #6
J1n
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: R8 V8 '14

how do you bring all the windows down :O
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 05:33 AM   #7
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: anything given a chance

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyLatte View Post
just get a case for your key... BMW sells them for $47 or thereabouts
^ this
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 07:14 AM   #8
Paninaro
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by J1n
how do you bring all the windows down :O
J1n - Hold the unlock button for more than 3 seconds.
      12-03-2012, 07:45 AM   #9
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

OP, the key case sounds like a workaround for you.

If that does not excite you and you prefer not to have the window down function from your remote, ask your dealer if they can code your car to remove this feature. Its should be possible.

To be honest, I prefer the old way BMW did their trunks. They unlock but require me to lift. I don't need the trunk to pop up like a spring loaded clown.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 03:48 PM   #10
ozorion
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 30D MSport

Garage List
Short of changing my wardrobe (thanks Sherwin ), the key case is sounding like the way to go. Hopefully it isn't too arduous to open up each time I need to unlock the car since I didn't get the comfort access option. Failing that I'll look at coding options.

My coworker is lording over me the fact that on the Merc, the window/sunroof function is infrared based, rather than RF like the lock/unlock. This means he can unlock/lock his car where he likes but can only open/close the windows when he is in sight of the car.
      12-04-2012, 12:50 AM   #11
Sephanite
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4

i can probably look into coding the remote so u have to unlock the car, let go and then hold unlock again to open windows. Boot open only if car is unlock is possible aswell
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2012, 01:21 AM   #12
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Quote:
Short of changing my wardrobe (thanks Sherwin ), the key case is sounding like the way to go. Hopefully it isn't too arduous to open up each time I need to unlock the car since I didn't get the comfort access option. Failing that I'll look at coding options.

My coworker is lording over me the fact that on the Merc, the window/sunroof function is infrared based, rather than RF like the lock/unlock. This means he can unlock/lock his car where he likes but can only open/close the windows when he is in sight of the car.
Have you tested to see how far you can be from your car and successfully activate the window convenience option and/or trunk? Maybe you are within range while at your desk @ work.

I don't recall Mercedes using IR remotes for many years. What year is your friends car?
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2012, 07:16 AM   #13
scou3821
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: 328i

Quote:

This became an issue today when it was pointed out to me that my windows were down in the middle of a rain storm. Thankfully the sunroof was closed but I still have water all down the inside the my doors and on the seats and carpet.
That's no good - I know how you feel though. I was looking after a friend's cats one night. While I was asleep one of them jumped on a table and stepped on the key fob which was resting on my house keys. Windows came down half way and of course it rained that night so there was a bit of water in the car.
Delivered: 328i Sport, Mineral grey, black leather, aluminium trim/red accent, Comfort access, Rear view camera, Sunroof, heated front seats, high beam assist, lane change warning, surround view, parking assistant, xenons, professional nav, internet and more.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2012, 06:30 PM   #14
Doing it for TV!
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Quote:
As most of you would know, the keyfob for the F30 has the ability to raise or lower all of the windows (and open or close the sunroof) if the lock or unlock buttons are held.

More than once, one of my workmates has asked me if I'm aware that all my windows are down, or that my boot is open when the car is parked in front of my work. Clearly what's happening is that the fob in my pocket is resting agaisnt something when I sit down and the button is being pressed.

I've looked through the settings on iDrive but there doesn't seem to be any way to disable this function. I was hoping that I could at least limit it so that the boot won't unlock when the car itself is still locked but that option doesn't exist either. My coworker's Merc ML35 has a rain sensor that raises the windows if the car detects rain.

Coding will fix this... I am waiting on SouthernBM to finalise their set up before taking the car in for some coding.. (one of them being rain sensor activated sunroof/windows close)
2015 M3 - Alpine White, HUD, Ext Leather
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2012, 06:36 PM   #15
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 M-Sport 328i Estoril Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by 555 View Post
I am waiting on SouthernBM to finalise their set up before taking the car in for some coding
Yes, Andrew told me he was almost ready for coding the F30.
Please let me know when you have your car done.

I spoke with him about enabling various functions.

What are you wanting to have done?
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect, MST turbo intake pipe, MST Cold Air Intake, JB4 on Map 2 with Catless DP produces awesome performance in Sport.
Appreciate 0