F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Clunky suspension
Studio RSR

08-30-2015, 05:53 PM   #23
Lux700
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d - Black Sapphire

No, but I've been in other people's cars that have - yes, it's a sound along those lines, but can't imagine that anything on my car will be even close to being worn out yet though. I only have just over 8k on the clock (all mine) and, as it's paid for out of my own pocket, I look after it. I'm thinking that either something needs tightening up, or it's just a characteristic of the car - I prefer the former possibility.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2015, 06:08 PM   #24
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux700 View Post
No, but I've been in other people's cars that have - yes, it's a sound along those lines, but can't imagine that anything on my car will be even close to being worn out yet though. I only have just over 8k on the clock (all mine) and, as it's paid for out of my own pocket, I look after it. I'm thinking that either something needs tightening up, or it's just a characteristic of the car - I prefer the former possibility.
Yes i doubt yours are worn out, but maybe a design flaw or manufacturing flaw with them.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2015, 06:38 PM   #25
Lux700
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

I'll have it checked over. I'm concerned that the dealership might try to throw the blame at the ACS springs! Or, inform me that whoever fitted them has cocked something up, so it's not down to them (BMW). Deutsch Tech fitted them and I'm aware that they seem to get excellent reviews! I'm more inclined to take it back to Deutsch Tech first and let them have a look at it?!
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2015, 06:56 PM   #26
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux700 View Post
I'll have it checked over. I'm concerned that the dealership might try to throw the blame at the ACS springs! Or, inform me that whoever fitted them has cocked something up, so it's not down to them (BMW). Deutsch Tech fitted them and I'm aware that they seem to get excellent reviews! I'm more inclined to take it back to Deutsch Tech first and let them have a look at it?!
I don't see any point taking it back to Deutsch tech, many with standard adaptive suspension have clunking.

There's a good explaination of adaptive suspension by a chassis engineer in this thread, in which he says a couple of times that in certain circumstances adaptive can do strange things:

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=942225
Appreciate 1
      09-17-2015, 03:47 AM   #27
GuiltyNL
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F31

You guys need to read this thread:

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=795016

As it is the same issue.

Is seems to be a design flaw in the adaptive suspension.

My adaptive suspension has been replaced by M-Performance suspension now and the issue is gone.

I only still have a clunck in left corners and that seems to be a problem with the 'silent blocks'
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2015, 03:57 AM   #28
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuiltyNL View Post
You guys need to read this thread:

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=795016

As it is the same issue.

Is seems to be a design flaw in the adaptive suspension.

My adaptive suspension has been replaced by M-Performance suspension now and the issue is gone.

I only still have a clunck in left corners and that seems to be a problem with the 'silent blocks'
My adaptive F30 did this. Then swapped to non adaptive and it was significantly better, but still did it on occasion (rear axle only).....now have the non budget range suspension and never have any clonks.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2015, 04:04 AM   #29
creepy coupe
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW M340I G20

Garage List
2015 BMW 435d  [0.00]
2009 335i  [0.00]
I got it from day one Zero miles, but only on the O/S /F and only over speed bump so I'm not bothered.
Previous.MINI JCW. E92 325i. 435d M235i.M135i. 635d Coupe, E92 M3 manual, E92 M3 DCT Competition Pack. E92 335i, Porsche Cayman S Gen2, 135i Coupe. E92 320d, MK5 R32. MK5 Golf GTi,MK5 Golf GT-TDI,E46 318Ci.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2016, 05:45 PM   #30
Lux700
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

I know this quite an old thread but thought that it might be useful to others to post the final outcome of the clunking issue I had. It's been a long and protracted issue, going into the dealership quite a few times to be told the same thing each time - the technician couldn't hear any clunking! I went out in the car with a technician and pointed the noise out to him when it occurred. He admitted to hearing it but said that, in his opinion, it wasn't loud enough to be an issue and was deemed acceptable. Clearly, it wasn't acceptable to me so I persisted in trying to get it fixed.

It wasn't until I had arranged to drive mine, again with a tech on board, and then take out their demo 335d xDrive - they were chalk and cheese!!! Theirs felt solid and steered really nicely compared to mine and didn't clunk over bumps! They then took mine in and after a few hours called me and said that it needs a new steering rack. Finally, action!

I picked it up yesterday and it now drives like their demo did - spot on! It has transformed my car into one that steers so much better and does not clunk on bumpy roads or surfaces. In addition (which is a bonus), when I now press the 'sport' button the steering goes quite a bit heavier - it never did this before! Seems like I've been driving around in a car that hasn't been functioning properly all this time! I'm now beginning to like my car again...
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2016, 04:29 PM   #31
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

Not wanting to pi$$ on your chips, so to speak, but give it a few weeks and it'll be back. New racks, new dampers, new control arms : nothing seems to banish the suspension knocking permanently and BMW doesn't really seem that motivated to sort it once and for all.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 0