F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > ecotune / dms. are you happy?
Studio RSR

08-13-2016, 02:16 PM   #1
snipnoob86
Major
Rep
Drives: 335D Saloon

ecotune / dms. are you happy?

so my euro tour this year is going well. Now that I don't have the steinbauer fitted it is amazing how much I miss it! I cannot carry on owning this car as it is. my intention was to sell the steinbauer chip and go for a remap when my warranty runs it's course *4 months ish*. that clearly isn't going to happen and I need it sorting before I lose the will to live! so.. those who have an ecotune or dms * my preferred choices * are you happy? any issues? anything at all to report?

cheers in advance!
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2016, 02:29 PM   #2
ar68
First Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: F36 440i

Quote:
Originally Posted by snipnoob86 View Post
so my euro tour this year is going well. Now that I don't have the steinbauer fitted it is amazing how much I miss it! I cannot carry on owning this car as it is. my intention was to sell the steinbauer chip and go for a remap when my warranty runs it's course *4 months ish*. that clearly isn't going to happen and I need it sorting before I lose the will to live! so.. those who have an ecotune or dms * my preferred choices * are you happy? any issues? anything at all to report?

cheers in advance!
Don't worry about that steinbauer mate, it is being well looked after.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2016, 02:35 PM   #3
snipnoob86
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar68
Quote:

cheers in advance!
Don't worry about that steinbauer mate, it is being well looked after.

cheers mate.....
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2016, 02:38 PM   #4
Kal101
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335xd Msport +

Garage List
Quote:

cheers in advance!

Purely out of curiosity why not the superchips one @ £500 ???

Got some warranty as well but not looked at it too deeply.
      08-13-2016, 02:46 PM   #5
snipnoob86
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal. 101
Quote:

cheers in advance!

Purely out of curiosity why not the superchips one @ £500 ???

Got some warranty as well but not looked at it too deeply.
your are right in that I haven't looked into super chips either. I'm more or less going off what I have seen tested via the forums and meet ups etc.. ecotune claims the biggest power boost and at 500 it is a cracker of a price from a reputable company which were known by everyone for their efforts of the E35d..

that said I hear great things of dms aswell yet the price doesn't comfort the wallet as much...

I will look into other companies options aswell of course
Appreciate 1
Kal1013105.00
      08-13-2016, 02:57 PM   #6
ar68
First Lieutenant
England
Rep

Superchips will be no better or maybe even less than the steinbauer you had on it.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2016, 03:09 PM   #7
ar68
First Lieutenant
England
Rep

Had a superchips Bluefin map on a X335d 286hp model. They don't list one for newer engines so I got it remapped for my Transit. I had to take it to Superchips Manchester/Ric Wood Motorsport which is down your neck of the woods. He does his own mapping on a 4 wheel roller as well. Knows his stuff, maybe worth a try.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2016, 04:04 PM   #8
Kal101
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
your are right in that I haven't looked into super chips either. I'm more or less going off what I have seen tested via the forums and meet ups etc.. ecotune claims the biggest power boost and at 500 it is a cracker of a price from a reputable company which were known by everyone for their efforts of the E35d..

that said I hear great things of dms aswell yet the price doesn't comfort the wallet as much...

I will look into other companies options aswell of course
That's the same price as a superchips one then

They don't do a blue fin for the 335xd. Think Bmw have put too much security in that's why the ecu has to come out.

Got bluefin on Fat Kid 1 ST. He likes the power hike and you can take the map on or off at will . Plus as an added bonus you can " brick" the car - great for security.
      08-13-2016, 04:13 PM   #9
dungaboy
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw 123d gone 335d for now

I have had no problems with the Ecotune map on the 335d , independent rolling road (Surrey rolling roadthread)
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2016, 04:13 PM   #10
ar68
First Lieutenant
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal. 101 View Post
That's the same price as a superchips one then

They don't do a blue fin for the 335xd. Think Bmw have put too much security in that's why the ecu has to come out.

Got bluefin on Fat Kid 1 ST. He likes the power hike and you can take the map on or off at will . Plus as an added bonus you can " brick" the car - great for security.
Bluefin is good. I take my map off when it goes in for service. Put it back on when it comes back. If dealer does anything to affect map you just give superchips a call and they send you a new map FOC. You can ask them to tweak map at anytime and they download it you, usually straight away, all FOC.
Don't Know why they haven't done one for 335xdrive.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2016, 04:16 PM   #11
Kal101
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ar68 View Post
Bluefin is good. I take my map off when it goes in for service. Put it back on when it comes back. If dealer does anything to affect map you just give superchips a call and they send you a new map FOC. You can ask them to tweak map at anytime and they download it you, usually straight away, all FOC.
Don't Know why they haven't done one for 335xdrive.
It's the higher security Bmw put on their ecu. The ecu has to be removed and opened up so it can be remapped. Can't be done via the USB unfortunately.
Only alternative suggested by Fat Kid 1!was to get a second ecu off a dead 335xd and swap over.
      08-13-2016, 04:21 PM   #12
ar68
First Lieutenant
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal. 101 View Post
It's the higher security Bmw put on their ecu. The ecu has to be removed and opened up so it can be remapped. Can't be done via the USB unfortunately.
Only alternative suggested by Fat Kid 1!was to get a second ecu off a dead 335xd and swap over.
Yeah I had to have ECU removed off my transit to be "Bluefin enabled" same as remapping. Then the map is installed through obd port not usb.
Appreciate 1
Kal1013105.00
      08-13-2016, 05:38 PM   #13
SkyJawa
Major General
Rep
Drives: F10 530d

We bluefin'd our mk5 golf GTI, made it the car should be from the factory. We can keep the handset and for a small charge they'll enable it for our Octavias 150 Diesel engine, won't do it till its out of warranty but have had a few superchipped cars without issue.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2016, 05:58 PM   #14
ar68
First Lieutenant
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyJawa View Post
We bluefin'd our mk5 golf GTI, made it the car should be from the factory. We can keep the handset and for a small charge they'll enable it for our Octavias 150 Diesel engine, won't do it till its out of warranty but have had a few superchipped cars without issue.
£225 for a Bluefin reset and possibly ecu removal dependent on make/model.
Superchips customer service is spot on. Used to be a lot cheaper for reset but too many being sold on ebay.
Appreciate 0