F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Those of You with RunFlats, Did you purchase a Tire Lug Tool?
proTUNING Freaks

02-09-2016, 10:28 PM   #23
chiefneil
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltidef32 View Post
If you can manually get a run flat off of a wheel, plug it, then place back onto a wheel, please explain with details.

:
I don't think he's taking it off the wheel. Looks like the repair kit works from the outside in.
Appreciate 1
      02-09-2016, 11:02 PM   #24
jhuber
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i

BMW roadside as well as car insurance roadside should do it... Jack and TQ wrench in the garage should take care of the rest would waste a lot of space and unnecessary weight to carry it along
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2016, 07:49 AM   #25
billiebob
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 328i

As others have said, Carry a jack and a plug kit and a tiny compressor and you are good to go.

I've plugged two tires (rft) while on road trips on my 328. Thousands of miles later and they are still fine. Plugs are lifetime repairs for everything but track tires for me.

Why waste hours waiting for a tow, especially on a road trip?
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2016, 10:04 AM   #26
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalDave View Post
RFTs are there so the car can be driven to a shop for fixing/replacement and I have AAA/BMW assistance if it can't be driven.
If you drive on the tire when fully flat for any distance you'll have sidewall damage, and then it's not repairable. That's why BMW et al say not to repair an RFT, because the sidewall damage can be invisible, and they assume that you're going to drive on it far enough to damage it. If you have the ability to fix it immediately the sidewall won't be damaged and you'll be back on the road in less than a half an hour.
Quote:
If you can manually get a run flat off of a wheel, plug it, then place back onto a wheel, please explain with details.
You take the wheel off the car so that you can easily find and fix the puncture. You can do it with the wheel on the car, but it's not easy.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2016, 01:53 PM   #27
CalCarNut
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F36 Jet Black Sport Line

Garage List
Quote:

:
I think the confusion is the plug part. The 'old' method was to drive a piece of rubber/glue etc into the hole and it'll act as a plug which you can do either on or off the car. With speed rated tires, this isn't the best idea. Shops, as we all know, remove the tire and patch it from the inside, which is the better process. Tires lose their speed rating once they have a hole. Not sure what it knocks them down to, but they are no longer the designation on the tire. (Not that we all go 130+ mph).
      02-10-2016, 01:54 PM   #28
CalCarNut
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F36 Jet Black Sport Line

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
If you drive on the tire when fully flat for any distance you'll have sidewall damage, and then it's not repairable. That's why BMW et al say not to repair an RFT, because the sidewall damage can be invisible, and they assume that you're going to drive on it far enough to damage it. If you have the ability to fix it immediately the sidewall won't be damaged and you'll be back on the road in less than a half an hour.
You take the wheel off the car so that you can easily find and fix the puncture. You can do it with the wheel on the car, but it's not easy.
Interesting. Don't drive on a run flat. Seems oxymoron-ish to me, right? I get what you are saying though..especially if you put a lot of heat and some miles on the flat....
      02-10-2016, 02:22 PM   #29
rolltidef32
National Championship #17 and Counting!
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW i3s and 2019 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefneil
Quote:

:
I don't think he's taking it off the wheel. Looks like the repair kit works from the outside in.
Ok, I see. Got confused there and wanted to make sure. Carrying a jack is something I did in the past, but just don't see it now.

I carried a hydraulic jack which was a bit big and heavy, but effective and quick to use. Now it stays at home.

Packs: Technology, Driver Assistance, HK Audio, Park Distance Control
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2016, 02:27 PM   #30
Jbrock22
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2pw

Garage List
BMW   [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RarScaryFrosty View Post
If you have xdrive, carrying all of that is useless. If you get a flat you're screwed and need a tow. You'll have to replace all 4 tires immediately so the rolling diameter is the same on all 4 tires.
Not exactly true. If you ruin one tire you can purchase a new tire and have it shaved down. Many a tire store does it. Or you can replace two on the same axle.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2016, 03:17 PM   #31
metallicpea
Major
Rep
Drives: 320i ZSP & E46 M3 6MT

Yes, the best repair is a patch from the inside, but these plug kits certainly are a very effective method to get you off the side of the road and buy time to get the tire repaired at a shop.

Unless you just assume you are replacing the tire, I stop when the tire pressure warning first goes off.

I carry a pressure gauge, very small cheapy pump for emergency use only and plug kit sealed in a ziplock freezer bag so the plug stays soft for as long as possible.

I don't bother with a jack unless I have a spare. I understand the idea that jack helps make the repair easier, but as this is only in case of emergency I get it done without by moving the car to the easiest point to access. It has been awhile since I have had a flat on either run flats or go flats. I keep a close eye on my tires and don't seem to drive in areas risky to get punctures.

I usually stay 100 miles from home, but if I were road tripping I might consider a spare, jack and wrench if I had the room. I am funny about who I let work on my car, so it would buy me comfort if I were away from home.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2016, 03:26 PM   #32
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalDave View Post
Interesting. Don't drive on a run flat. Seems oxymoron-ish to me, right? .
The advantage to a run flat is that you can run on it until you find a tire shop, so you save the cost and inconvenience of getting a flatbed. The price paid for that convenience is that the tire may well need to be replaced, and chances are the tire shop won't have one in stock. That's no biggy if it happens near home, but a major PITA if you're not.
Quote:
I usually stay 100 miles from home, but if I were road tripping I might consider a spare, jack and wrench if I had the room.
I only drive about 5k miles a year, but of that 2k miles are road trips. If I ever do get a flat I can predict with 100% certainty it won't be within 50 miles of home.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2016, 03:06 PM   #33
metallicpea
Major
Rep
Drives: 320i ZSP & E46 M3 6MT

If 40% of your mileage is away from home, then I would do 1 of 2 things:

Either plan on replacing the tire with any flat and carry just a can of fixaflat in case you are more than 50 miles from a replacement tire.

Or carry a jack, wrench and spare.

I think run flats really only make sense under certain use and are playing the odds that you probably wont have a flat with a tire that is worth saving. Which given most peoples use of a BMW is probably a fair bet.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2016, 03:29 PM   #34
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

For what it's worth I once waited 4 hours for BMW roadside. In addition to the kit others have mentioned I'd also include a small sledge hammer. If your wheel is stuck on the hub a knock or two (always on tire never wheel) will break it free. Before I started carrying the hammer I once slid under the car and delivered a swift kick. Worked fine but then realized if wheel comes off and jack gets knocked loose, car would have landed on me. No Bueno.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2016, 10:17 PM   #35
shinichilee
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 15' 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by eluded
Quote:
Originally Posted by bovino
I carry the SOS button
Agreed, I do not worry about it for four years/50,000 miles
lol true story
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2016, 06:26 AM   #36
JamRWS6
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3M Competition

The plug kit, air compressor, and tire gauge are a great idea. I keep those in my car although I'm not using runflats. I personally think this is much better and cleaner than fix a flat, that stuff makes a huge mess.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2016, 07:41 AM   #37
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbrock22 View Post
Not exactly true. If you ruin one tire you can purchase a new tire and have it shaved down. Many a tire store does it. Or you can replace two on the same axle.
Not true at all. Compensating for tires that are slightly different diameter is one of the functions of differentials. A new tire on one side and a practically bald tire on the other wouldn't be a good idea, but a diameter difference of 1/4" or less wouldn't be a particular problem for everyday driving. You could get than much variation with identical tires if the tire pressures differ by a total of 5 PSI.
Quote:
I personally think this is much better and cleaner than fix a flat, that stuff makes a huge mess.
Fix a flat gunks up TPM sensors too. I have a can of fix a flat anyway, just in case there's a slow leak that I can't find to plug. The TPM will clog but eventually the clog will probably work itself out.

Last edited by Billfitz; 02-12-2016 at 07:49 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2016, 09:23 AM   #38
Jbrock22
Captain
Rep

Garage List
BMW   [0.00]
Quote:
Not true at all. Compensating for tires that are slightly different diameter is one of the functions of differentials. A new tire on one side and a practically bald tire on the other wouldn't be a good idea, but a diameter difference of 1/4" or less wouldn't be a particular problem for everyday driving. You could get than much variation with identical tires if the tire pressures differ by a total of 5 PSI.
Fix a flat gunks up TPM sensors too. I have a can of fix a flat anyway, just in case there's a slow leak that I can't find to plug. The TPM will clog but eventually the clog will probably work itself out.
I think you are confirming what I said a slight difference is not a big deal. The last poster said if one tire needs to replaced then the other 3 need to be replaced also. Thats why I mentioned you could shave a new tire down or just replace two of the four on the same axle.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2016, 10:23 AM   #39
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbrock22 View Post
I think you are confirming what I said a slight difference is not a big deal.
+1. There would have to be a major difference for it to matter, and I for one wouldn't shave 10,000 miles of tread off a new tire to satisfy what's more of a OCD issue than an actual need.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2016, 11:37 AM   #40
Jbrock22
Captain
Rep

Garage List
BMW   [0.00]
Quote:
+1. There would have to be a major difference for it to matter, and I for one wouldn't shave 10,000 miles of tread off a new tire to satisfy what's more of a OCD issue than an actual need.
agreed
Appreciate 0