F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Looking to purchase next year. Any common issues to be aware of?
GetBMWParts

11-26-2013, 05:32 PM   #1
norsairius
Foodie and Gearhead
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xDrive Sedan

Garage List
Looking to purchase next year. Any common issues to be aware of?

Hi everyone!

I currently drive a 2009 328i xDrive coupe and we're looking to purchase an X1 to replace my fiancee's car sometime next year. I'm looking to get the X1 xDrive28i with the 8sp automatic transmission. Alternatively, we may end up with a newer F30 328i xDrive sedan, but I'm personally leaning heavily towards the X1. She said she'd take my car if she ends up not liking the X1 which I'm actually very much okay with.

I posted this in the X1 forum, but I wanted to ask here too because it seems like more members have the F30 and may be able to offer more feedback too.

I've had an X1 and an F30 328i as a loaner vehicle when my car was in for service a couple times earlier this year and found that I actually really like both. I'll admit that I've been critical of the F30 in the past, but the more I think about it, the more I'm okay with it. I actually like it now. It just took time for me to warm up to it.

What I'm wondering though is if any of you have noticed any common issues that have popped up. I know the car is relatively new as is the engine/transmission, so maybe there haven't been many problems so far, but I figured online forums would be the best place to go to find out if there's anything I should look out for.

I'm not as concerned about rattles, etc. I'm most concerned about the really expensive bits like the drivetrain.

This is a car that is going to be purchased with the intent of keeping it for a long, long time. Probably going to start with a low mileage CPO vehicle if we can find one.

Also, out of curiosity, has anyone around here tried or know someone who tried BMW Select financing? How does the total cost come out vs. regular financing?

Thanks!
      11-26-2013, 05:48 PM   #2
Jamesons Viggen
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '98 M Roadster stg 2+ S/C

X1 and f30 have the same drivetrain aside from x1 35 has the older 6spd auto. So drivetrain issues apply to both.

'98 Dinan/RMS stage 2+(VAC cams, CES Cutring etc)
'15 Buick Regal "T"(wife)
'06 Saab 9-5 Combi 5mt (full suspension, LSD, clipped turbo etc)
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2013, 08:09 PM   #3
Seagull
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: F87 M2, E84 X1

I think the initial problems we experienced are mostly gone since I don't hear of the issues being reported anymore by new purchasers. What I can remember are:
  • Steering wheel vibration at certain speeds. It doesn't effect driving, but it is a minute vibration if you let go of the wheel it can be seen.
  • Trunk brake lights might pop off/come loose if you slam the trunk
  • 335 M-Sport Aux Fan and limp mode - still in existence for some and is slow to be resolved.
      11-26-2013, 08:38 PM   #4
norsairius
Foodie and Gearhead
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xDrive Sedan

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesons Viggen View Post
X1 and f30 have the same drivetrain aside from x1 35 has the older 6spd auto. So drivetrain issues apply to both.
I know, that's why I posted in both the X1 and F30 forums to collect more responses. I wonder when the X1 35 will get an updated transmission though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seagull View Post
I think the initial problems we experienced are mostly gone since I don't hear of the issues being reported anymore by new purchasers. What I can remember are:
  • Steering wheel vibration at certain speeds. It doesn't effect driving, but it is a minute vibration if you let go of the wheel it can be seen.
  • Trunk brake lights might pop off/come loose if you slam the trunk
  • 335 M-Sport Aux Fan and limp mode - still in existence for some and is slow to be resolved.
Sounds like nothing too bad so far. That's good to know!

Thanks both of you for your responses! Open to more if others know of anything.