F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > M Sport Brakes and Fog Lights (US Spec)
Studio RSR

07-04-2012, 08:54 PM   #1
crowed
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

M Sport Brakes and Fog Lights (US Spec)

My 2013 335i M Sport is on order (US Spec), and I recently inquired about the M Sport brakes (blue calipers.) My CA told me the following: BMW makes it an accessory that you can add at the factory.

Anyone else have any luck adding these to your build? Since I am getting Estoril Blue, I thought the blue calipers would add a nice touch. I also asked about adding fog lights to the US spec order, and he said he would ask BMW about it. Anyone try this as well?

Best,
crow
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2012, 09:07 PM   #2
jtuds
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335rwd Dinan S2

The Canadian M sport package comes with the blue callipers, lucky for us I guess. That's what we get for paying 8 grand more in base price.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2012, 09:13 PM   #3
dbpe
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

From what I've read on other threads, the US lost the fogs with the MSport because of heat concerns due to the varying climate. I'd really like them on mine, too, but I think mine's going into paint shop status tomorrow so it's way too late to add anything. Anyone aware of aftermarket fogs for the new MSport?
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2012, 09:16 PM   #4
Alpine F31
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: MB E350 4MATIC Estate

Garage List
I think your CA is talking about M Performance brakes which are an accessory item. The M Sport brakes available in Europe wont be offered in the US according to one of the Moderators on this forum.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2012, 11:40 PM   #5
metrickid
Dinosaur supervisor
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: E91 318d

We can start an exchange program. We Europeans can send over our fog lights and you guys send us back your parts!

You always want what you don't have! I will never use mine and will for sure look into getting the US parts...
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2012, 11:56 PM   #6
Blake P
Kinda Like A Big Deal
United_States
Rep
Drives: F31 on order

FWIW, yellow M Performance brakes would look killer on EB.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2012, 12:34 AM   #7
crowed
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake P View Post
I saw red calipers on a blue 911 turbo recently, and it looked pretty nice as well. Something like this: http://cthst.com/drivingemotion/7S785743-2sm.jpg (on the other hand, those blue rims... ) Then again, so does yellow http://www.motorworldhype.com/wp-con..._pkg_small.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine F31 View Post
I think your CA is talking about M Performance brakes which are an accessory item. The M Sport brakes available in Europe wont be offered in the US according to one of the Moderators on this forum.
That may be true, but I made sure he understood I was talking about the M Sport brakes, and not the M Perf brakes-- but since BMW has said absolutely nothing about them for the US market, I don't know how valid it is. Also, he stated it can be added at the factory, whereas I believe the M Perf brakes are dealer accessories only. I would prefer to get the Sport brakes if possible, since factory fittings will always be better than dealer fittings.

Last edited by crowed; 07-05-2012 at 12:40 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2012, 07:09 AM   #8
gator15
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake P View Post
That is what I have on my 911.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2012, 08:13 AM   #9
Vector Pilot
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Z4 28i

Not offering fog lamps is ridiculous. In another thread, wiring required for fog lamps are in position for installation. If that's the case, going forward it may-be added as option provided you swear not to drive fast when temperature exceeds 80 degrees.

Last edited by Vector Pilot; 01-07-2013 at 03:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2012, 08:49 AM   #10
BMWCali
Expect the Unusual
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X6M

Why do you guys even want fog lights? What the heck do they do anyway? Whenever there's been fog and I've turned them on, they haven't done jack diddly.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2012, 09:02 AM   #11
JamesMA
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 ZCP

I am getting the red M Perf. Brakes installed by the dealer before I take delivery (so they will be covered under full new car warranty!). For what ever reason, the M Perf. Exhaust is available as a factory add. Go figure.

I have fog lights on my current 325i. Even though I drive mostly in and around the MA and ME and do encounter fog, I do not think I have remembered to use them more than half a dozen times in 10 years. I will not miss them I suspect, particularly with the xenons.

Gone: 2018 F80 ///M3 ZCP 6 MT, 2013 F30 335i 6MT M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2012, 09:04 AM   #12
BMWCali
Expect the Unusual
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesMA View Post
I am getting the red M Perf. Brakes installed by the dealer before I take delivery (so they will be covered under full new car warranty!). For what ever reason, the M Perf. Exhaust is available as a factory add. Go figure.

I have fog lights on my current 325i. Even though I drive mostly in and around the MA and ME and do encounter fog, I do not think I have remembered to use them more than half a dozen times in 10 years. I will not miss them I suspect, particularly with the xenons.
The M Perf Exhaust is available as a factory add-on? Didn't see that anywhere in the online configurator??
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2012, 11:17 AM   #13
ZMM_OMG
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M3

Garage List
2015 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMC Pro Machine  [10.00]
Crowed, if the car is pre-wired, would you consider buying the parts and self-installing? I can't imagine it would be that difficult a job. Seems like it would just require the 2 outer grates, the lights, and perhaps the interior switch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector Pilot View Post
... If that's the case, going forward it may-be added as option provided you swear not to drive fast when temperature exceeds 80 degrees.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2012, 12:38 PM   #14
okolisr
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 435i xDrive Msport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine F31 View Post
The M Sport brakes available in Europe wont be offered in the US according to one of the Moderators on this forum.
I must have missed this announcement. Where did you see it? To the contrary, I've seen many posts with exact details about how the US version of M Sport brakes will be slightly different than the European version, not that the option won't be offered.

I think the TRUE answer about M Sport brakes for the US is obvious: BMW is not yet ready to build enough cars with this option to meet world demand. The UK configurator is the only one so far where you can actually select M Sport brakes as an option, although their future availabilty has been announced for Germany (in July) and Canada (in August).

The bottom line is that if BMW told us the truth, that M Sport brakes will be offered in the US starting in say November or so, most customers who want M Sport brakes would delay ordering. BMW is better off if we think that that they won't be available at all.

Who knows, maybe the announcement will come tomorrow. Or next week. Or November.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2012, 12:59 PM   #15
BMWCali
Expect the Unusual
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by okolisr View Post
The bottom line is that if BMW told us the truth, that M Sport brakes will be offered in the US starting in say November or so, most customers who want M Sport brakes would delay ordering. BMW is better off if we think that that they won't be available at all.

Who knows, maybe the announcement will come tomorrow. Or next week. Or November.
Like Apple!
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2012, 01:19 PM   #16
metrickid
Dinosaur supervisor
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: E91 318d

Quote:
Originally Posted by okolisr View Post
The UK configurator is the only one so far where you can actually select M Sport brakes as an option, although their future availabilty has been announced for Germany (in July) and Canada (in August)
You can configure it in Sweden to. I have it on my order.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2012, 01:35 PM   #17
crowed
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMM_OMG View Post
Crowed, if the car is pre-wired, would you consider buying the parts and self-installing? I can't imagine it would be that difficult a job. Seems like it would just require the 2 outer grates, the lights, and perhaps the interior switch.

Definitely-- I wasn't aware it was pre-wired To be honest, it's more about how they look vs. usability as I don't use them too often. I haven't decided if I like the w/o fog lights look yet, but the pics I have seen of EB seems to look a little nicer with the fogs.

Also, quick update from my CA: the following pic shows what can currently be added on in the factory (M Sport brakes are not yet one of them in the US.) It looks like we can add M perf brakes, but only the red calipers.... Carbon fiber mirror caps though? Hmm... and why is Sirius Radio in this exclusive list
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-05-2012, 02:01 PM   #18
BMWCali
Expect the Unusual
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowed View Post
Also, quick update from my CA: the following pic shows what can currently be added on in the factory (M Sport brakes are not yet one of them in the US.)
Aren't Performance Brakes the same thing as M Sport Brakes?

So the red caliper Performance Brake System CAN be added to US orders? How much additional $$$ is it??

And I see Black Kidney Grilles are on that list. If you order the M Sport line and want the Matte Chrome Kidney Grilles, is there an option code for those?
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2012, 02:21 PM   #19
JamesMA
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 ZCP

My CA was able to add the M Perf Exhaust as an "accessory" code Z10, but did not find a similar option for the M Perf. Brakes when I ordered last month.

I would not be surprised if the available options change over time as was suggested by another poster and seems to be confirmed by crowd.

M Perf Brakes are not the same as M Sport Brakes when I researched this (M Perf Brakes are both slotted and drilled, I recall that M Sport Brakes may only have one of these features) and I admit that once I learned that I could not get M Sport brakes, I stopped worrying about it and moved on

Gone: 2018 F80 ///M3 ZCP 6 MT, 2013 F30 335i 6MT M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2012, 02:46 PM   #20
crowed
Private First Class
Rep

Yeah, to my eyes, the premium for the M Perf brakes (which is >$2500) is not worth it when compared to the M Sport brakes ($900). I might just wait til the M Sport brakes become a dealer accessory and have it fitted after I have my car.

Last edited by crowed; 07-05-2012 at 04:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2012, 05:29 PM   #21
HouseMusicRules
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: '13 335i M-Sport 6MT RWD EBII

Quote:
Definitely-- I wasn't aware it was pre-wired To be honest, it's more about how they look vs. usability as I don't use them too often. I haven't decided if I like the w/o fog lights look yet, but the pics I have seen of EB seems to look a little nicer with the fogs.

Also, quick update from my CA: the following pic shows what can currently be added on in the factory (M Sport brakes are not yet one of them in the US.) It looks like we can add M perf brakes, but only the red calipers.... Carbon fiber mirror caps though? Hmm... and why is Sirius Radio in this exclusive list
Wow, I didnt know M Performance Exhaust was a factory option. Here in Canada it is a dealer accessory and costs $1,700 which is pretty expensive in my opinion. How much did it cost you?
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2012, 05:37 PM   #22
ZMM_OMG
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M3

Garage List
2015 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMC Pro Machine  [10.00]
Quote:

Huh... interesting to note that one can order the black kidneys as a factory-installed option. Thanks for posting that!
Appreciate 0