F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Dealer vs Coding
proTUNING Freaks

12-16-2017, 02:37 AM   #1
NoahT
Rep
Drives: 330D

Dealer vs Coding

Hi everybody,

LCI 330d proud owner, I am running into an issue with a dealer.

A few months ago, I have upgraded to the OEM LED headlights and installed the OEM 3AG reverse camera.
A friend of a friend did the coding for me...

Fast forward to yesterday, I got a call from my dealer that explained to me that they have to revert the car to its factory default for installing mppk and m performance brakes.

From what I understand, they do not know how to code the headlights and the camera.

The person who did the coding for me is not available immediately, so I was wondering if somebody had the guide to code the headlights and the camera...then I can forward them to the dealer.

Many thanks for your help,

Noah
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2017, 02:45 AM   #2
robbiep
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW e-Golf !

I can almost guarantee that the dealer will refuse to do the coding. They won't have anyone expert to do it. If it goes wrong, they are left holding the can.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2017, 03:08 AM   #3
GEP77
Major
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model 3 Long Range.

Whenever a dealer does a software load they will revert the car to the Vehicle order for the chassis number. In the case of a bmw fitted retrofit the order will be updated - for diy or non dealer fitted retrofits you have to repeat the coding again.

It would be well worth learning how to code the details yourself as this will keep happening as the car is serviced / any warranty work carried out.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2017, 04:06 AM   #4
NoahT
Rep

Thank you for the feedback.

Yeah, I was wrongly expecting that an official dealer could code any OEM retrofit...
I think worst case scenario is asking the dealer to carry on with coding the mppk and brakes and revert the lights to halogens...glad I kept them as a spare.
Then learn how to code and put back the LED lights when I am confident with doing it.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2017, 04:49 AM   #5
SW6Steve
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahT View Post
Hi everybody,

A few months ago, I have upgraded to the OEM LED headlights and installed the OEM 3AG reverse camera.

Fast forward to yesterday, I got a call from my dealer that explained to me that they have to revert the car to its factory default for installing mppk and m performance brakes.

From what I understand, they do not know how to code the headlights and the camera.

The person who did the coding for me is not available immediately, so I was wondering if somebody had the guide to code the headlights and the camera...then I can forward them to the dealer.

Noah
Out of interest how long did it take for the mppk kit take to arrive from ordering?
I ordered a kit, it took nearly two months to arrive and I am now in the same boat as you. Genuine reverse camera retro fitted by our very own Vorph.
BMW have now had the car for a week, and have had trouble coding the new ecu. They had sussed the camera and I was told it had now been added the the spec sheet with BMW. Result I thought! But after a week they are now telling me the new ecu is damaged and a new one is on order, probably due the the unofficial coding!?
I have now requested the car be put back to normal and will return when the new ecu turns up. From the way they are talking this could really cost me, but I will wait and see.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2017, 04:59 AM   #6
NoahT
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SW6Steve View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahT View Post
Hi everybody,

Noah
Out of interest how long did it take for the mppk kit take to arrive from ordering?
I ordered a kit, it took nearly two months to arrive and I am now in the same boat as you. Genuine reverse camera retro fitted by our very own Vorph.
BMW have now had the car for a week, and have had trouble coding the new ecu. They had sussed the camera and I was told it had now been added the the spec sheet with BMW. Result I thought! But after a week they are now telling me the new ecu is damaged and a new one is on order, probably due the the unofficial coding!?
I have now requested the car be put back to normal and will return when the new ecu turns up. From the way they are talking this could really cost me, but I will wait and see.
It took 15 days for the mppk and m performance brakes to arrive at the dealer.
Thanks for sharing your experience, hopefully it will not cost you anything.
It is hard to believe that a simple camera retrofit can damage ECUs.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2017, 04:16 PM   #7
vorph
Banned
Rep
Drives: F30

I had actually few jobs at dealer garage for similar programming and coding retrofited stuff as they have no clue how to manage.
Basically very simple job they reverted back to horror stories...
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2017, 02:55 AM   #8
Mike_H
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M40i

Is there anyway around a dealer reverting back coding changes?

I have been considering the 6WB dash retro fit, but it would be dangerous if every time I took it to BMW it came back without the dash working. Not to mention the hassle, money and time to get it re-coded.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2017, 09:57 AM   #9
NoahT
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_H View Post
Is there anyway around a dealer reverting back coding changes?

I have been considering the 6WB dash retro fit, but it would be dangerous if every time I took it to BMW it came back without the dash working. Not to mention the hassle, money and time to get it re-coded.
I took the car back from dealer since it seems they are unable to add parts without wiping out all the retrofited coding.

I have now the ppk with me and will look for a more coding savvy dealer.

Any recommendations?

Best rgds

NoahT
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2017, 02:30 AM   #10
dizzy619
Major
Rep
Drives: F31 340i

I would suggest you will have to go to an independent..
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2017, 11:19 AM   #11
vorph
Banned
Rep
Drives: F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzy619 View Post
I would suggest you will have to go to an independent..
I don't have any problem to flash car with above jobs done by others.
Appreciate 0