F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Bilstein PSS10 Coilovers
proTUNING Freaks

02-13-2014, 07:08 PM   #1
x.shell
▆ ✚✚   ▆▆▆▆▆▆
Rep
Drives: ▋ ▉▉

Bilstein PSS10 Coilovers

Hello,

I recently put in an order for a set of Bilstein PSS10 Coilover for my 335i. But I got an email from the vendor saying that it is on back order for a few weeks. Although I'm not in an extreme hurry to get the coilovers, I don't like being in the situation of having paid for something on back order. I've been in situations before where it has dragged on for months/years.

SO...

I've been thinking of other options for suspension. I'm reading positive reviews for the Bilstien B8 + H&R combo, but the descriptions are very "personal tolerance" descriptions at best. I've already had a set of H&R Sport springs + OEM struts and to me, the ride quality was not satisfactory so I'm wary of going down that road again.

I am look for a lowered look with as close to stock comfort as possible.

Should I just wait for the PSS10 or try something else?

Last edited by x.shell; 02-28-2014 at 10:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2014, 12:51 PM   #2
Krelle
Captain
Denmark
Rep
Drives: M2C

YES
You should wait. I use the "manual version" of the B16 PSS10. This was chosen because the electrical,- the one with the remote controlled damping only has three settings.
It's much more fun having ten possible damping adjustments available versus 3.
Please be advised that you can set the lowering to 25mm on the 30-50mm version. I've done so.

Don't forget, the more you lower the harder the ride.. First mine went to 50mm in order to check the look of the car and stiffness. Nice look but tough ride.

Wait!

/Krelle
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2014, 11:06 PM   #3
SwampCat84
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i Sedan

x2

WAIT... I had the PSS10s on my last car and I LOVED them... I have been planning on putting them on my F30 since I bought it Nov 2012. I stayed in touch with Bilstein waiting for them to get a release date on the system for the F30 and they finally released them summer 2013... Im still planning on getting them, but lost my job in Sept and havent been able to as of yet.

Just wait, they will be available soon... And have fun with them!!

2012 328i F30/ Window Tint, M-Performance Kidney Grilles, Sport Front Trim Pieces with Whiskers, VMR V721s 19x8.5 F/19x9.5 R, (Coilovers Coming Soon!)
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2014, 11:58 AM   #4
x.shell
▆ ✚✚   ▆▆▆▆▆▆
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampCat84 View Post
x2

WAIT... I had the PSS10s on my last car and I LOVED them... I have been planning on putting them on my F30 since I bought it Nov 2012. I stayed in touch with Bilstein waiting for them to get a release date on the system for the F30 and they finally released them summer 2013... Im still planning on getting them, but lost my job in Sept and havent been able to as of yet.

Just wait, they will be available soon... And have fun with them!!
Are you on H&R Sport Springs with OEM struts? If so, how did it compare to your old set up with the PSS10s?

I decided to wait for the PSS10s to come in from back order. I'm not in a rush, but I am pretty excited about getting them in.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2014, 12:16 AM   #5
x.shell
▆ ✚✚   ▆▆▆▆▆▆
Rep

The Bilstein PSS10s shipped. Hopefully I will get around to installing them this weekend.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2014, 10:22 PM   #6
x.shell
▆ ✚✚   ▆▆▆▆▆▆
Rep

They have arrived. So far I am very impressed by the build quality. I will try to get them installed tomorrow in the garage. I hope the rain lets up a little bit.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2014, 11:20 PM   #7
_bdiddyb_
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i

ex o
Yo - how did it go, how long did it take you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex o View Post
They have arrived. So far I am very impressed by the build quality. I will try to get them installed tomorrow in the garage. I hope the rain lets up a little bit.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2014, 11:59 PM   #8
JN1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: S211 AMG E63

I have them and love them (aside from the noise, which may not be directly related to them). They ride and handle well, took them to the track and the car drives feels much more stable pushing it hard in turns.
      03-05-2014, 12:01 AM   #9
x.shell
▆ ✚✚   ▆▆▆▆▆▆
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by _bdiddyb_
ex o
Yo - how did it go, how long did it take you?

Quote:
I haven't done it yet. I have to use the oem top hats but I wasn't able to compress the spring enough to safely take off the top hat. The oem springs have so few coils that my spring compressor couldn't catch more than two coils. It simply wasn't enough compression. When I have time I will take the oem strut/spring to a shop and have them use one of those standing compressors. Unfortunately, that might not be for a few weeks.

Once I have the top hats, installation should take about 2 hours with my tools at home.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2014, 09:26 PM   #10
_bdiddyb_
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i

I actually did it with a spring compressor that looks like this.

Fronts went in pretty quick, but the rears were a pain in the ass. I couldn't get a good even compression on the spring perch so the large bolt holes wouldn't lined up with the ball joint.

Dialing in the perfect height was also tedious, and my garage was not perfectly leveled.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2014, 11:07 PM   #11
x.shell
▆ ✚✚   ▆▆▆▆▆▆
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by _bdiddyb_ View Post
I actually did it with a spring compressor that looks like this.

Fronts went in pretty quick, but the rears were a pain in the ass. I couldn't get a good even compression on the spring perch so the large bolt holes wouldn't lined up with the ball joint.

Dialing in the perfect height was also tedious, and my garage was not perfectly leveled.

This is the same compressor I have. I was not able to take enough tension off the top hat to safely remove it.

I hear you on the rears being a PITA to adjust. This is the reason why I have so much experience uninstalling/installing the suspension on my F30. I've had to take it apart so many times to get the perfect height.

I would greatly appreciate it if you would do me a huge favor. If you could simply snap a photo of your car from the side view along with a pic of the rear perch? This way I can see how far I have to adjust the coils to get the desired height. It would potentially save me a tremendous amount of time and I would be eternally grateful.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2014, 10:41 AM   #12
Gastoys
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 BWM 335i M Sport sapphire

H&R/Eibach springs are horrible though improvements might be better with the right struts. I'd wait for the coil overs if it was me.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2014, 12:17 PM   #13
Krelle
Captain
Denmark
Rep

Talking

Quote:

This is the same compressor I have. I was not able to take enough tension off the top hat to safely remove it.

I hear you on the rears being a PITA to adjust. This is the reason why I have so much experience uninstalling/installing the suspension on my F30. I've had to take it apart so many times to get the perfect height.

I would greatly appreciate it if you would do me a huge favor. If you could simply snap a photo of your car from the side view along with a pic of the rear perch? This way I can see how far I have to adjust the coils to get the desired height. It would potentially save me a tremendous amount of time and I would be eternally grateful.
Attention!!
In order not to waste this beatiful kit, and get the full benefit you need to be carefull about following:
- Disconnect the battery if you have xenon.
-Adjust tire pressure correct for even alignment.
-Totally flat surface for the adjustment of spring height.
-Directional references (left right, front rear) are always with ref. to the driving direction.
-Read the manual. Follow the tightening procedure carefully.
-adjust the spring height to 50mm and drivee the car for a day or so. If you're satisfied with the height you can finally adjust/check caster & camber with ref. to the manufacturer’s specifications.
- Have your local workshop check your braking system.
-Check and adjust headlight setting depending on your configuration.

Then you're good to go.
I re-adjusted mine to 25mm, as I felt this was where I got the best road feeling.

I have attached some pics of the lowering shown on 18" Winter alu. It looks much better on 20" though.
It's no lowrider as I like driving -not just the looks.

Above is just for info. Take it or scrap it.

/ Krelle
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-07-2014, 05:51 PM   #14
x.shell
▆ ✚✚   ▆▆▆▆▆▆
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krelle View Post
Attention!!
In order not to waste this beatiful kit, and get the full benefit you need to be carefull about following:
- Disconnect the battery if you have xenon.
-Adjust tire pressure correct for even alignment.
-Totally flat surface for the adjustment of spring height.
-Directional references (left right, front rear) are always with ref. to the driving direction.
-Read the manual. Follow the tightening procedure carefully.
-adjust the spring height to 50mm and drivee the car for a day or so. If you're satisfied with the height you can finally adjust/check caster & camber with ref. to the manufacturer’s specifications.
- Have your local workshop check your braking system.
-Check and adjust headlight setting depending on your configuration.

Then you're good to go.
I re-adjusted mine to 25mm, as I felt this was where I got the best road feeling.

I have attached some pics of the lowering shown on 18" Winter alu. It looks much better on 20" though.
It's no lowrider as I like driving -not just the looks.

Above is just for info. Take it or scrap it.

/ Krelle
25mm from what?
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2014, 12:40 AM   #15
Krelle
Captain
Denmark
Rep

The springs can be adjusted so the car is lowered between 30-50mm according to specs. However the manufatorer say's ok for 25 mm as well.
That is what the 25mm refers to.
/Krelle
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2014, 01:05 AM   #16
metrickid
Dinosaur supervisor
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: E91 318d

Quote:
The springs can be adjusted so the car is lowered between 30-50mm according to specs. However the manufatorer say's ok for 25 mm as well.
That is what the 25mm refers to.
/Krelle
So basically what you are saying is that you have it at the highest possible setting?
Got any profile shots?
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2014, 02:47 AM   #17
Krelle
Captain
Denmark
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossifumi View Post
So basically what you are saying is that you have it at the highest possible setting?
Got any profile shots?
Highest setting, yes. 5mm higher than the official recommendation.
And I have no difficulties driving in snow when we go to Sweden for the winter holidays ie no ploughing :-)

No profile pics available, maybe later.
/Krelle
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2014, 02:55 AM   #18
Krelle
Captain
Denmark
Rep

Quote:
Got any profile shots?
And I have no difficulties driving in snow when we go to Sweden for the winter holidays ie no ploughing :-)

/Krelle
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2014, 03:52 AM   #19
metrickid
Dinosaur supervisor
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:

/Krelle
Thanks! I will raise mine (Bilstein B14) next week because there are some nasty speed bumps in Gothenburg I can't clear even when taking them diagonally. But I think around 30mm lowering would be a pretty good compromise.

As far as I remember though you can't see on the threads how high/low you are when you adjust it so how did you know that you are at 25mm?

Did you measure before and after (fender to ground)?
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2014, 04:16 AM   #20
Krelle
Captain
Denmark
Rep

Quote:
Thanks! I will raise mine (Bilstein B14) next week because there are some nasty speed bumps in Gothenburg I can't clear even when taking them diagonally. But I think around 30mm lowering would be a pretty good compromise.

As far as I remember though you can't see on the threads how high/low you are when you adjust it so how did you know that you are at 25mm?

Did you measure before and after (fender to ground)?
Hi Rossifumi,
#¤% Damn I was in Gothenburg in February..
I put a piece of tape on each fender. Set a mark and used a home made fixed installation of a certain length + a caliper for a precise measurement.
( 5-10 ltr of Vpower in the tank only in order not to influence).
I lowered 50 mm, drove the car some and raised it 25mm.
/Krelle
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2014, 04:31 AM   #21
metrickid
Dinosaur supervisor
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Hi Rossifumi,
#¤% Damn I was in Gothenburg in February..
I put a piece of tape on each fender. Set a mark and used a home made fixed installation of a certain length + a caliper for a precise measurement.
( 5-10 ltr of Vpower in the tank only in order not to influence).
I lowered 50 mm, drove the car some and raised it 25mm.
/Krelle
Thanks, but too late for me then as I have driven my car for over a year already at this height!
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2014, 04:49 AM   #22
Krelle
Captain
Denmark
Rep

I thought so, I'd but I take it for a 10 minute ride anyway and re-check the adjustment.
That is "Fingerspitzgefühl" and you're within 1/10mm.

By the way. Do you plan to have it on dyno after the PPK install?
Appreciate 0