F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > High Performance Brake Pads
Studio RSR

08-30-2012, 08:29 AM   #1
mocohead
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '16 M235i 6MT & 12 128i Msport

High Performance Brake Pads

Frustrated by the lack of available track pads for our cars, I ordered a set of OEM pads and plan to send them off to CarboTech to make me a set. On my Evo X I used their RP2 compound and was absolutely thrilled with the performance. I have used other pads and compounds, but how the pad releases from the rotor is important and this compound is just perfect. It even bites well cold. Plus I did not get a ton of pad transfer like I got with the Hawk products so there was absolutely no juddering.

This is not a street pad at all - too much dust and WAY too much noise. But with a MOT of 1650F they take quite a bit of abuse and keep gripping. Plus they showed almost no signs of wear after four track weekends!

Does anybody else want to get a set while CT has my backing plates to use as a template?

For people looking for more stopping power on the street, take a look at the CT 1521 street pad. This was my daily pad on my Evo and I loved them. Less dust than stock (but probably more than our OE pads), no noise and great pedal feel. I autocrossed on them a couple of times and they held up fine.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2012, 11:34 AM   #2
richb811
Rep
Drives: 2020 G20 330i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by mocohead View Post
Frustrated by the lack of available track pads for our cars, I ordered a set of OEM pads and plan to send them off to CarboTech to make me a set. On my Evo X I used their RP2 compound and was absolutely thrilled with the performance. I have used other pads and compounds, but how the pad releases from the rotor is important and this compound is just perfect. It even bites well cold. Plus I did not get a ton of pad transfer like I got with the Hawk products so there was absolutely no juddering.

This is not a street pad at all - too much dust and WAY too much noise. But with a MOT of 1650F they take quite a bit of abuse and keep gripping. Plus they showed almost no signs of wear after four track weekends!

Does anybody else want to get a set while CT has my backing plates to use as a template?

For people looking for more stopping power on the street, take a look at the CT 1521 street pad. This was my daily pad on my Evo and I loved them. Less dust than stock (but probably more than our OE pads), no noise and great pedal feel. I autocrossed on them a couple of times and they held up fine.
That's a good idea. Brake pads always take forever on the aftermarket. Heck Hawk still doesn't even have pads for the F10 5 series yet!
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2012, 12:25 AM   #3
brian99997
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: slowly

Do you happen to have a reference on those pads against anything in the Pagid line like the RS29/yellow and a rough ballpark cost for the rp2's?
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2012, 09:04 AM   #4
mocohead
Lieutenant
Rep

Hi Brian,

I have never used Pagid pads before so I can't cross-reference.

For the 2011 e90 328i, whose pads are somewhat similar, the fronts are $295 and the rears are $220.

The RP2 is an endurance pad with extremely high heat tolerance. Seriously it was one of the best pads I have ever used. One of the things I liked was how little wear there was and the absolute absence of judder. You will be happy with them!
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2012, 01:15 PM   #5
brian99997
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I love BMW land, P car land was about $400 for fronts and another 400 for rears although I will say that the RS29 being slightly ceramic were quite nice on my GT3 lap after lap but they did squeal on the street and stained the wheels which I had eventually painted to black but it was in the 3100lb area and this car is only about 350lb heavier so we "should" be able to obtain some stratospheric braking levels.

Pagid rs29

Cold 0.40 (friction)
At 100°C 0.43
At 300°C 0.47
Max at (@ 550°C) 0.49
Constant working temperature: 400 – 700°C (1292F)
Max temperature for short period only: 750°C

Carbotech RP2
Great fade resistance with a temperature range of 250°F to 1650°F+ (121°C to 898°C). RP2

Carbotech CT 1521
This compound's excellent linear torque production provides incredible braking force without ABS intervention. Carbotech™ 1521™ operating range starts out at ambient and goes up to 800°F (426°C+).
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2012, 10:00 AM   #6
mocohead
Lieutenant
Rep

The 1521 ended up being my DD pad on my Evo. They replaced StopTech branded Axxis Ultimates which replaced very dirty stock pads. I was very happy with them on the street. They were fine for autocross on street tires.

One weekend I was instructing at Chuckwalla and the weather was too miserable (wind storms causing the track to LITERALLY disappear) to bother changing wheels and brakes. So I ran some instructor laps on the street tires and 1521's. While they worked fine, the weather was so awful I really didn't get to run at speed so I can't say what would have happened otherwise.

By way of comparison I was able to fade Hawk HT-10's at SOW running CCW but the RP2 never faded. Frankly this pad may be enough for non-competition use with the stock system. We will see...
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2012, 11:25 AM   #7
brian99997
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mocohead View Post
The 1521 ended up being my DD pad on my Evo. They replaced StopTech branded Axxis Ultimates which replaced very dirty stock pads. I was very happy with them on the street. They were fine for autocross on street tires.

One weekend I was instructing at Chuckwalla and the weather was too miserable (wind storms causing the track to LITERALLY disappear) to bother changing wheels and brakes. So I ran some instructor laps on the street tires and 1521's. While they worked fine, the weather was so awful I really didn't get to run at speed so I can't say what would have happened otherwise.

By way of comparison I was able to fade Hawk HT-10's at SOW running CCW but the RP2 never faded. Frankly this pad may be enough for non-competition use with the stock system. We will see...
Instructor laps should be slow anyway, I've had 9 people sick in my car before......

If these come out at around $500 for all 4, the RP2 is going to be my pad of choice. I have used the very endurance oriented RS29 for daily driving even on freezing cold days and it really wasn't as bad as people think but it took more pedal pressure on the first stop or two.

Guys, jump in on this so we can hopefully get them to build some interest and just make us pads so we dont have to waste a stock set :P
Appreciate 0