F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > F30 LCI details
Extreme Powerhouse

09-21-2014, 11:06 AM   #23
ukbeemerboy
Beemer Heaven
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyJawa View Post
My sister has an Ibiza with the cylinder shut down technology, they call it ACT. she said it's really noticeable when it does it to the point they raised it with the dealer. Sod that until they make the transition better!
There is something wrong with it then as I have it on a Audi A3 I drive, they call it COD (cylinder on demand) and there is no detection at all.

It's also used in the A1, RS6, RS7 and A8

2018 BMW M4 Competition
2019 Mini Countryman Cooper S : 2008 Mini Cooper
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2014, 11:18 AM   #24
johno
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 M340ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
Seems many N54 owners are a little disappointed by the N55, it hasn't really been a step up, more sideways move.
No doubt BMW were checking the reliability, etc before giving it the power boost it deserved.
Having been able to drive a number of 35i/40i cars on the BMW Oulton day, I have got to say it was the most disappointing engine......all noise no bite. It was just about OK in M235i guise with the upped power, but driving the 640i on the roads....felt like it had a hamster in a wheel engine under the bonnet with no urge. Hopefully the new B engines will resolve this.
The N55 was introduced in 2009, so it's hardly new. It has a twin scroll turbo instead of two small turbos, which is supposed to give better low down torque and better efficiency. Coming from an N54, it feels pretty similar, but it's hard to tell because I'm going from E92 to F32, and manual to auto.

I'm surprised you found it so lacklustre, as I'm very happy with mine. Maybe it's something to do with the cars you were driving before and after.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2014, 11:32 AM   #25
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by johno View Post
The N55 was introduced in 2009, so it's hardly new. It has a twin scroll turbo instead of two small turbos, which is supposed to give better low down torque and better efficiency. Coming from an N54, it feels pretty similar, but it's hard to tell because I'm going from E92 to F32, and manual to auto.

I'm surprised you found it so lacklustre, as I'm very happy with mine. Maybe it's something to do with the cars you were driving before and after.
It has been out a little while now you're right.

If you compare dyno graphs from N54 vs. N55, there is very little in it. A little disappointing seeing as the N55 has a fair bit more 'tech'.

It could be a poor comparison on the day....although, I did drive an M135i at the dealers so could compare with mine back to back to back if you know what I mean. My conclusion is I like the rev eagerness, and it suits perhaps a 1/2, 3/4 series car OK, but don't think it works as well in the heavier cars 5/6 series. I also don't think the ZF8 is as good a match as perhaps the DCT or manual?!?!?
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2014, 12:10 PM   #26
johno
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 M340ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
It has been out a little while now you're right.

If you compare dyno graphs from N54 vs. N55, there is very little in it. A little disappointing seeing as the N55 has a fair bit more 'tech'.

It could be a poor comparison on the day....although, I did drive an M135i at the dealers so could compare with mine back to back to back if you know what I mean. My conclusion is I like the rev eagerness, and it suits perhaps a 1/2, 3/4 series car OK, but don't think it works as well in the heavier cars 5/6 series. I also don't think the ZF8 is as good a match as perhaps the DCT or manual?!?!?
I think the tech they put in for the N55 was all about efficiency (and probably cost and reliability), since as you say the dynos look very similar, and headline torque and bhp numbers are identical. I certainly get much better mileage from the F32 - 30mpg vs 25mpg.

I wasn't sure about getting the ZF8 over manual, but I found it excellent after test drives in 435d and M235i (dealer didn't have a 435i). Frankly, my dodgy left knee is very grateful for the lack of a clutch. Why didn't I get a M235i? Well, I do need to transport people in the back occasionally, and the M235i looked a bit more difficult for that. I also felt the 435i had a better interior, and I preferred the looks in general.

I'm not disappointed, and as it has run in it's just getting better. Will I look back in a year's time and wish I'd waited for the 440i? Maybe, but life's too short to wait for the next big thing.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2014, 12:30 PM   #27
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

I would take a 435i over a 235i any day.

The ZF8 is a great gearbox for an automatic, and suits a Diesel very well. However, I would prefer a DCT 435i option. DCT is sportier, and probably suits the 35i engine that much better.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2014, 12:37 PM   #28
335i nthehouse
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN
Quote:
Originally Posted by dopper99 View Post
"a significantly uprated 335i" sounds more than just a simple 20-30bhp upgrade. Sounds to me like they may be bringing out an M Lite M340i with upgraded chassis too much like the M135i/M235i. And non run flats.

If so, I can see BMW charging around 5K more than an 335i and even possibly keeping the 335i? Would there be a market for 2 35i engined cars?

I think they'd have to put up the price of this new model quite a bit to stop the bottom falling out of second hand or nearly new 335i's.

This "poor mans" M3 does sound rather appealing if the kind of discounts are available as seen over the last couple of years.

Anyway, all speculation at the moment.....
Seems many N54 owners are a little disappointed by the N55, it hasn't really been a step up, more sideways move.
No doubt BMW were checking the reliability, etc before giving it the power boost it deserved.
Having been able to drive a number of 35i/40i cars on the BMW Oulton day, I have got to say it was the most disappointing engine......all noise no bite. It was just about OK in M235i guise with the upped power, but driving the 640i on the roads....felt like it had a hamster in a wheel engine under the bonnet with no urge. Hopefully the new B engines will resolve this.
Have you taken leave of your senses good man?

35i engine is a brute in the f30, says everyone who drives one. Can see maybe in a bigger car perhaps not but I certainly don't find it Hamster wheel like
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2014, 04:51 PM   #29
RichardM
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: G21 M340i LCI

I find these BMW days are a poor way to judge a car. I recently drove the 650i GC and I was very disappointed with the engine and lack of character, but then I did drive a M135i before it and a M6 Competition Package after it ��.

I thought it had been confirmed the 335D was being replaced with a 340D?
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2014, 05:10 PM   #30
JD6
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 840i GC + Mini Electric L3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
I find these BMW days are a poor way to judge a car. I recently drove the 650i GC and I was very disappointed with the engine and lack of character, but then I did drive a M135i before it and a M6 Competition Package after it ��.

I thought it had been confirmed the 335D was being replaced with a 340D?
I thought the recent Oulton Park day was really useful, and a lot of fun. Against my expectations, the M5 was the complete stand out star of the show for me. I had expected to prefer the nimbleness of the M3/M4, but I disliked the sound they made and much preferred the behaviour of the M5 engine.

I hadn't seen the 340d confirmed anywhere, just rumours. The BMW chap I spoke to, who had just read the 130 page document on the LCI was very clear that the diesels were unchanged (or no real change), while there were major changes to the petrol engines.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2014, 03:26 PM   #31
Kal101
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335xd Msport +

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apl335d View Post
Cool, thanks for the info.

I was worried about the 335d becoming defunct if there was a 340d comming.

I guess that means there is going to be some cheap 335i's and 328i's available second hand next year?

Could be a real bargain
Double cool as means I don't have to think twice about upgrading to 330d/335d before the lci comes out.
Appreciate 0