F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > desperate need of help to get eps to work properly
proTUNING Freaks

11-14-2017, 06:35 PM   #1
ameerf1
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 325i e90 sport

desperate need of help to get eps to work properly

Hello, have a 335i f30, car had an accident that destroyed right front wheel, front lower and back control arms, replaced damaged control arms, replaced wheel, and replaced steering rack due to physical damage from the accident. bought used rack (same sticker) and installed it, was able to get it to work through Esys, but still have steering icon on dash with code*
4823C2 (EPS control unit: initialisation fault, steering angle, directional stability not learned)*

have no feedback from steering to turn it to center point, have to do it manually.*

tried to reset it through ISTA D but noticed steering turns further to the left than to the right. keep in mind alignment was done after rack replacement. issue is the right wheel can actually hit the front control arm in order for it to stop turning. does this mean the rack is bad? assuming it should have a stop point inside it to make it stop? ISTA D keeps failing the reset with error*
A: no even or harmonic movements*
B: hardware faults in eps preventing it from startup.*

thanks alot in advance.*
here is a video of the wheel.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2017, 02:15 PM   #2
Diljee
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW 2015 F32 420d Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ameerf1 View Post
Hello, have a 335i f30, car had an accident that destroyed right front wheel, front lower and back control arms, replaced damaged control arms, replaced wheel, and replaced steering rack due to physical damage from the accident. bought used rack (same sticker) and installed it, was able to get it to work through Esys, but still have steering icon on dash with code*
4823C2 (EPS control unit: initialisation fault, steering angle, directional stability not learned)*

have no feedback from steering to turn it to center point, have to do it manually.*

tried to reset it through ISTA D but noticed steering turns further to the left than to the right. keep in mind alignment was done after rack replacement. issue is the right wheel can actually hit the front control arm in order for it to stop turning. does this mean the rack is bad? assuming it should have a stop point inside it to make it stop? ISTA D keeps failing the reset with error*
A: no even or harmonic movements*
B: hardware faults in eps preventing it from startup.*

thanks alot in advance.*
here is a video of the wheel.
Hi Bud, I have the exact same issue and had almost the exact same damage. I took the car to BMW after repairs to reprogram, the steering is better but still stiffer than what it supposed to be. Did you manage to resolve your issue?
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2017, 05:38 AM   #3
juld0zer
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Prev 135i 7DCT, Now 130i 6sp

Assuming the rack has been coded to the car (Sorry, i'm only familiar with coding E cars using both ISTA/P and non BMW software and F cars using ISTA/P or ISSS Next), you should be able to do the service function in ISTA/D: Service Functions > Chassis and Suspension > Electromechanical Power Steering > Initialisation.

This is assuming the rack was centred prior to installation (both tie rods identical in length from the bottom of the gaiter).

If that is all good then I would suspect the rack has been damaged and the seller has not disclosed this. They are quite sensitive particularly in cars with the self parking feature
Appreciate 0